MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumindex.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/)
-   -   Shot clock in tennis? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/129285-shot-clock-tennis.html)

r2473 08-04-2008 06:23 PM

Shot clock in tennis?
 
There was some discussion (by the commentators during one of the Cincy matches) of a "shot clock" being used in tennis. Essentially, the clock would start at the end of the point and the server would have 25 seconds (or is it 30 seconds) to serve.

If the clock runs out, the server loses his first serve (and presumably if it happens on second serve, the point is lost(?)).

Did anyone else hear this?

I personally like the idea. Seems fair to all the players. Also takes the pressure off the umpire on deciding when to issue warnings for time violations. It will be a "black and white" rule (like the shot clock in basketball for instance).

What are your opinions?

EDIT: Fowler said he had discussed it (the time clock) with Mo - almost everyone's favorite chair ump - and that was HIS (Mo's) idea.

Clay Death 08-04-2008 06:28 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7452402)
There was some discussion (by the commentators during one of the Cincy matches) of a "shot clock" being used in tennis. Essentially, the clock would start at the end of the point and the server would have 25 seconds (or is it 30 seconds) to serve.

If the clock runs out, the server loses his first serve (and presumably if it happens on second serve, the point is lost(?)).

Did anyone else hear this?

I personally like the idea. Seems fair to all the players. Also takes the pressure off the umpire on deciding when to issue warnings for time violations. It will be a "black and white" rule (like the shot clock in basketball for instance).

What are your opinions?


splendid idea. it will speed up the game a little which makes it more interesting to the masses. 25-30 second shot clock is an idea whose time has come.

scarecrows 08-04-2008 06:30 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
no
there are moments like breaking a string, protesting about a point or noise from the public in which it's impossible to start in 25 secs and the watch would make everything more confusing

Deathless Mortal 08-04-2008 06:32 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm against it. It's obvious when it takes to long and in those cases the rules should be more strict.

Sunset of Age 08-04-2008 06:45 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scarecrows (Post 7452429)
no
there are moments like breaking a string, protesting about a point or noise from the public in which it's impossible to start in 25 secs and the watch would make everything more confusing

Yep. Would be impossible to manage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal (Post 7452437)
I'm against it. It's obvious when it takes to long and in those cases the rules should be more strict.

Indeed - the only exisiting problem is that currently the umpires aren't doing their jobs the way they should. Handing out only 'time code violations' which have NO effects on a player's points count, obviously doesn't impress them much, and won't force them to make ammends to their time wasting.

As soon as the umpires would indeed show their guts and give said players a point penalty, I'm sure there would be a lot less time wasting going on on court thereafter. Unfortunately I don't see it happening very soon. :shrug:

MacTheKnife 08-04-2008 06:48 PM

Re: Shot Clock in Tennis?
 
I do not think this is a good idea at all. I am not an advocate of speeding up the game. Why should there be 25 seconds after a double fault or a missed return, and then 25 seconds after a 20 to 30 ball rally when the players are totally exhausted and need to catch their breaths. There should be some guidelines on time, but making it that definite is just insanity.
If they must have a time limit it should be at the discretion of the umpire as it is now.

Quite frankly I was stunned those commentators even suggested that. Those guys have played competitive tennis and really should know how ridiculous it is. Any other sport with a time clock is a team sport that allows substitutions. Maybe if they want a time clock they should watch a chess match.

groundstroke 08-04-2008 06:50 PM

Re: Shot Clock in Tennis?
 
No, way too much pressure put on.

Clay Death 08-04-2008 06:51 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scarecrows (Post 7452429)
no
there are moments like breaking a string, protesting about a point or noise from the public in which it's impossible to start in 25 secs and the watch would make everything more confusing

you do have a point there but in those cases, they shut down the clock and re-start it.

scarecrows 08-04-2008 06:55 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay Death (Post 7452544)
you do have a point there but in those cases, they shut down the clock and re-start it.

that's why i said it would be confusing, when to start and when to stop it
players would also be distracted looking at the watch rather than taking care of their pre-point rituals

finishingmove 08-04-2008 07:00 PM

Re: Shot Clock in Tennis?
 
they should add a trap door if a player goes over the time limit...

MacTheKnife 08-04-2008 07:03 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
I am not an advocate of speeding up the game. I was stunned the commentators even brought this up since some of them have played competitive tennis. Why should there be 25 seconds after a double fault or a missed return and 25 seconds after a 20 to 30 ball rally when the players are exhausted. If they must time points, it should be at the discretion of the umpire as it is now. The umps aren't stupid (well most of them) they know when someone is stalling and players actually need a minutes rest. They should utilize that discretion to enforce the rules. All sports with a shot clock allow for substitutions and none of that applies in tennis.

MacTheKnife 08-04-2008 07:08 PM

Re: Shot Clock in Tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by finishingmove (Post 7452592)
they should add a trap door if a player goes over the time limit...

:haha::haha: makes about as much sense.

Deboogle!. 08-04-2008 07:09 PM

Re: Shot Clock in Tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTheKnife (Post 7452517)
Quite frankly I was stunned those commentators even suggested that. Those guys have played competitive tennis and really should know how ridiculous it is. Any other sport with a time clock is a team sport that allows substitutions. Maybe if they want a time clock they should watch a chess match.

Just to be clear, it was not the commentators who suggested it. Fowler said he had discussed it with Mo - almost everyone's favorite chair ump - and that was HIS idea.

Anyway I'm all for it. I'm sick of hearing Rafa whine when he gets warned for taking twice as long as the rules allow.

Sunset of Age 08-04-2008 07:19 PM

Re: Shot clock in tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTheKnife (Post 7452608)
I am not an advocate of speeding up the game.

I don't think OP started this discussion in this sense of the matter - I understood he meant it as an device to stop players wasting time (most importantly, taking more than 25 sec before serving, which is in fact against the official rules). There's no need for speeding up the game, but let it at least be played within the rules.

BTW, I agree with you that a shot clock wouldn't be of any help.

r2473 08-04-2008 07:20 PM

Re: Shot Clock in Tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deboogle!. (Post 7452634)
Just to be clear, it was not the commentators who suggested it. Fowler said he had discussed it with Mo - almost everyone's favorite chair ump - and that was HIS idea.

Anyway I'm all for it. I'm sick of hearing Rafa whine when he gets warned for taking twice as long as the rules allow.

Thanks. I remember that now.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome