MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gamblers Lounge (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=392)
-   -   betting-job (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=128532)

kokot 07-23-2008 09:04 PM

betting-job

dont know if there is a thread already about it,is it is please direct me.

i would like to know how many of you take betting as a job.me for instant,i work 1 job and have dveloping company.but the winnings payed for my last 2 vacations.aruba,mauritius full covared.myaverage bet is around 300euro.

as i am watching the gamblers lounge,it seems people are just writing,what they think.or guess.tey say value this value that,but fuck,if u bet 5 euro,who the fuck cares???u wan to win big or just fuck around?most of the companies out there are making money of this morons,who take for example levine @27 vs nadal.they say its value...fuck off,if u bet 4$.

so i hope u got my point and feel free to share your thoughts!

Gamblore 07-24-2008 03:29 AM

Re: betting-job

People that bet against Nadal @ odds of $27 are idiots. There's no value there.

Newbie2008 07-24-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokot (Post 7386052)

i would like to know how many of you take betting as a job.me for instant,i work 1 job and have dveloping company.but the winnings payed for my last 2 vacations.aruba,mauritius full covared.myaverage bet is around 300euro.

as i am watching the gamblers lounge,it seems people are just writing,what they think.or guess.tey say value this value that,but fuck,if u bet 5 euro,who the fuck cares???u wan to win big or just fuck around?most of the companies out there are making money of this morons,who take for example levine @27 vs nadal.they say its value...fuck off,if u bet 4$.

^ Best Bloke!

I agree.

I hate comming on the forums and seeing people pick 10 $3.00+ dogs, and saying "Value". I havent ever picked a dog lol.

jayjay 07-24-2008 03:16 PM

"Value" is subjective. It is only defineable by each individual and their assessment of the match up and the prices involved. Ultimately, any pick anyone makes is by definition seen as value by them otherwise there would be no point in making it.

If you like the match up and you are happy with the price, then to you the pick is value and worth making.

With regards to how much is being staked - the best way to do it is minimal stakes. However, as you get older and more money is available then it's always likely that the stakes will increase. That inturn can give you bigger wins and likewise bigger problems. It's a personal decision and when I started when I was 14 I never imagined I'd stake as much as I do now, but that's the way it goes. As it happens, my really serious days of gambling are actually behind me, even though my stakes are higher than the average punter, but it's all about what you can afford to play with, what you are willing to risk/lose should the worst come to the worst.

I've never subscribed to thinking that you should "only back favs" or "only back dogs". That's just stupid. It's not about that. It's about assessing the match ups and evaluating the prices. Sometimes it'll be favs and sometimes it'll be dogs.

Any pick anyone makes should always be evidenced by something factual or tangible to make the pick viable. So yes, backing Levine against Nadal even at astronomical odds does seem futile to me, because I can't make a case to myself as to why Levine should have the necessary to win. And even if you make the pick with the vision to trade, at a break up or even a set up, Nadal's price is never going to be backable at that stage to make it worth off setting.

However, there are matches where the trade value is there, but again that's just a judgement call for each individual.

ryan23 07-24-2008 03:43 PM

I would never do gambling as a job and anyone that thinks they could do this for the rest of their life is very naive imo

ive won big money in the past and spent it on nice things but also lost money theres 2 sides to the coin

ryan23 07-24-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokot (Post 7386052)

What about Simon last night?

dave nz 07-24-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan23 (Post 7391229)
I would never do gambling as a job and anyone that thinks they could do this for the rest of their life is very naive imo

You are right it takes a rare breed. But there is no such words IMO as never, can't or impossible.

Just wrote a piece on this very subject, will post the link when it becomes avaliable (sometime in the next few days).

ryan23 07-24-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave nz (Post 7391496)
You are right it takes a rare breed. But there is no such words IMO as never, can't or impossible.

Just wrote a piece on this very subject, will post the link when it becomes avaliable (sometime in the next few days).

I'm with you m8 there are people out their that do it and very succesfully but unfortunately the percentage is very very low- and getting lower it seems

I look forward to reading your piece

kokot 07-24-2008 11:27 PM

some good responses here have to admit.of course coin has two sides.i lost as well but in the long run,ig u have the same stakes,and u have good money managment ull be fine.at least i am.

back to value,how many of you are betting without odds?i mean,look at the matchup on oop,and choose the player,then look at the odds?i do it maximum 20% of the time but mostly,i check the odds.this makes the conclussion about last night fedex-simon.if you wouldnt see that 38 odd on simon would you choose him?i fuck wouldnt even touch him.now lets look from the other way,asume u didnt see the odd on simon.so u choose simon,and then look at the odds and fedex for some reason would have odd 1.6.would you still take simon at 2.4odd?????fucking give me break!so plz dont tell me that simon was value.didnt see that game have admit but to take player just because idiotic odds,it is not called value,but not smart betting,put it nicely.another example levine.would u choose him knowing that he would be at odd 2.4?surely i wouldnt.

value,mean for someone one thing for someone else opposite.

to the betting as a job.i know for example at least 5 people in my area who are succsefull in that.but not in tennis.one is capping purely 2.division german,another 1st freanch.my point is that they dont touch anything else and just follow one league.and yes they had bad times,but overall they made steady 38% per year.how many of us can say that?but of course they dont play for peanuts.

to sum it up,great info from contributers,at least for me.like to share the thoughts with other punters here.

keep up the good work!if u think that i might be wrong or if u agree post it!

jayjay 07-25-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokot (Post 7393618)
back to value,how many of you are betting without odds?i mean,look at the matchup on oop,and choose the player,then look at the odds?i do it maximum 20% of the time but mostly,i check the odds.

I make my picks, I check the prices and if I'm happy with them I play them.

There are many punters out there, though, who are simply tempted by a big price. And that's the reason books will never go broke because there are alot of people out there chasing the big win.

Quote:

this makes the conclussion about last night fedex-simon.if you wouldnt see that 38 odd on simon would you choose him?i fuck wouldnt even touch him.now lets look from the other way,asume u didnt see the odd on simon.so u choose simon,and then look at the odds and fedex for some reason would have odd 1.6.would you still take simon at 2.4odd?????fucking give me break!so plz dont tell me that simon was value.didnt see that game have admit but to take player just because idiotic odds,it is not called value,but not smart betting,put it nicely.another example levine.would u choose him knowing that he would be at odd 2.4?surely i wouldnt.
I can't speak for Grinder or anyone who did back Simon, but I imagine they didn't back Simon because they were sure of a win, but because they thought there was trade value there and had some tangible reasons as to why Simon might have troubled Federer and in turn possibly shock him.

Simply for the fact it was Federer's first match since Wimbledon and Simon was coming in off the back of a tournament win alone made the match at least a little tricky for Federer. Not that I thought he would lose, I absolutely didn't, but you can see what was there for those who thought the price was too high considering the factors.

You seem to be thinking that "value" means "dog". It doesn't. If in your example Federer had been 1.60, then he would have been value. As if you were pricing up the match yourself you would surely never make Federer 1.60.

Quote:

to the betting as a job.i know for example at least 5 people in my area who are succsefull in that.but not in tennis.one is capping purely 2.division german,another 1st freanch.my point is that they dont touch anything else and just follow one league.and yes they had bad times,but overall they made steady 38% per year.how many of us can say that?but of course they dont play for peanuts.
Any professional keys in on their particular areas of expertise. That is obvious. I did it for a few years and built a healthy balance and then lost sight of what I was doing. Treating it as a "business" had become boring for me, and I allowed the gambling aspect to override the money aspect. That meant hefty bets on markets I was still learning and when the losses came, I went back to what I knew at a heavier level than before to recoup (chase), and when it didn't go my way - I was right back at the start.

This is purely ill-discipline and nothing else.

If you know your particular sports, if you do your homework, if you have a set of rules and don't break them and you play when opportunity arises and not out of a daily habit/need to gamble - then it is very possible to make a steady/decent living out of this industry.

However, the human mind is almost conditioned to be reckless and that's where alot of people end up falling by the way side. No one should be fooled into thinking it's remotely easy. It takes alot of mistakes to learn how to do things the right way, and even then it takes greater discipline to continually toe that line.

Gamblore 07-25-2008 01:14 AM

The more money you have makes things alot easier. Not to say that you throw it around and place large bets because you have 200k.

Newbie2008 07-25-2008 07:58 AM

I do it sometimes.

For eg:

Tonight hypothetically:

Geelong are $1.30 Favs.. I checked odds & said, yep they'll win.

If i didnt know the odds, and checked em seeing Hawks $1.30, id say same, yep they'll win.

OR

Essendon vs Collingwood, myself Essendon might scare them. If i saw them @$2.20 i wouldnt touch em, but because they are @ $4.50, ye ill put a few bucks on it.

Good thread

Gamblore 07-25-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2008 (Post 7395041)
I do it sometimes.

For eg:

Tonight hypothetically:

Geelong are $1.30 Favs.. I checked odds & said, yep they'll win.

If i didnt know the odds, and checked em seeing Hawks $1.30, id say same, yep they'll win.

OR

Essendon vs Collingwood, myself Essendon might scare them. If i saw them @$2.20 i wouldnt touch em, but because they are @ $4.50, ye ill put a few bucks on it.

Good thread

Wrong!

Your reading into the odds and expecting because the odds are so low, that the favourite is a certanty to win. Not true at all.

kokot 07-25-2008 11:02 PM

jay jay,

good post.i hope you didnt get me wrong.i never said that dogs with huge odd is the one i take.no,i look at matchup,form,conditions,and then odd.if all looks fine,i give it a go.but here,no offence to anyone,i just see the same people make it the same bet,just copy the bet,and then hope to win,because someone else took it too.for me betting is exciting,and oh well so far winning.the most important thing is money managment.100000%.if that u get wrong once u can regropu,but if u dont,you will be in deep shit.

jayjay 07-25-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokot (Post 7398605)
jay jay,

good post.i hope you didnt get me wrong.i never said that dogs with huge odd is the one i take.no,i look at matchup,form,conditions,and then odd.if all looks fine,i give it a go.but here,no offence to anyone,i just see the same people make it the same bet,just copy the bet,and then hope to win,because someone else took it too.for me betting is exciting,and oh well so far winning.the most important thing is money managment.100000%.if that u get wrong once u can regropu,but if u dont,you will be in deep shit.

Gambling can give you a buzz at times, but when trying to make it as a profession you just have to be simply ruthless about it and treat it like a true business. It can be difficult to often disassociate the two, but if you ask any professional, then it is the outlook you have to take and adhere to.

If you're gambling as an secondary income, as a supplement, then sure you can relax the rules a little and if a few bets don't go your way it's not the end of the world. If you're gambling as a profession you can't afford to be so lax, there really is no negotiation with that.

GL with your betting future. :)