MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Playing on synthetic grass...tips? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=127720)

JM-Del-Potro 07-11-2008 06:02 PM

Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
I'm going to play on a synthetic grass court...could you give me some advice about which shots pay on this surface,how to play well and if the bounce is irregular so much? Thanks in advance! ;)

jazar 07-11-2008 09:01 PM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
the best advice i can give you is dont play on synthetic grass, it is the worst surface in history

JM-Del-Potro 07-11-2008 09:13 PM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazar (Post 7325971)
the best advice i can give you is dont play on synthetic grass, it is the worst surface in history

Unfortunately the tournament is on this surface...and I can't miss this one,it's one of the few tournaments I can play,here near my town :sad:

fast_clay 07-11-2008 11:33 PM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Synthetic Grass Friendly Shots:

Heavy Sliced Serves
Flat 1st Serves
Backhand Slice
Chip/Open Faced Returns

(x 10 when wet)

Synthetic Grass isnt a bad surface.... unfortunately, many clubs misinterpret 'Low Maintenance' for 'No Maintenance' ... and in countries with wetter climates... the surface is dangerous much of the time... IMO.

The bounce is consistant... contistantly low... compared with clay or hardcourt. On a dry day with a bit of heat, a synthtic court without too much sand can present a ball that will 'pop' up to a height common with a quicker hardcourt.

A properly kept Synthetic Grass court will enable you to slide into shots much like a clay surface, as there is supposed to be a sandy film on top of the courts. However, in wetter climates, usually the sand washes away and is not reapplied as much as it needs to be.

A heavy ball with no spin or slice with come through the court and on to the racquet quicker - if u are tuned more to playing on slower surafces, the ball might actually feel as tho it is picking up speed off the bounce...

Thus...

a tactic that may be adopted is to chip/open face all returns early in a match where the conditions are super quick. I know of a nation that plays all its top level tournaments on the surface... and, the tactic used by the top players on return is 'Chip/Block 1st serves, Chip 2nd until you are into the match.'

Winning serve can be easy enough on this surface - yet, it is server friendly, therefore adopting a sound return tactic is perhaps the best way to approach a match on the surface.

Approaching the net from sliced shots is a good tactic in general play. As the bounce is generally low anyway, a sliced shot is even lower... if you are to attack from a decent slice - either short or deep - then, the defender will be forced to play the ball up...

Study the backround of the player you are up against.. maybe the surface is even more foreign to them - and, anything that works on you - will more than likely work on on them as well.

Good Luck...


ps: what is the climate like in the region you will be playing in...?

StevoTG 07-12-2008 12:57 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
I think that properly maintained synthetic grass courts are a dream, but then again these are the courts that I've learned to play tennis on. As someone of basically no experience of other courts I can't really compare things for you, fast_clay's advice seems very good.

I don't find the bounce to be irregular as long as the courts are well maintained, the only bad bounces you tend to get are off of the lines which is to be expected. The only health risk is too much or not enough sand, particularly in wet conditions.

GlennMirnyi 07-12-2008 01:28 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Don't fall. You'll get buuuuurnt. :p

JM-Del-Potro 07-12-2008 10:28 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fast_clay (Post 7326580)
Synthetic Grass Friendly Shots:

Heavy Sliced Serves
Flat 1st Serves
Backhand Slice
Chip/Open Faced Returns

(x 10 when wet)

Synthetic Grass isnt a bad surface.... unfortunately, many clubs misinterpret 'Low Maintenance' for 'No Maintenance' ... and in countries with wetter climates... the surface is dangerous much of the time... IMO.

The bounce is consistant... contistantly low... compared with clay or hardcourt. On a dry day with a bit of heat, a synthtic court without too much sand can present a ball that will 'pop' up to a height common with a quicker hardcourt.

A properly kept Synthetic Grass court will enable you to slide into shots much like a clay surface, as there is supposed to be a sandy film on top of the courts. However, in wetter climates, usually the sand washes away and is not reapplied as much as it needs to be.

A heavy ball with no spin or slice with come through the court and on to the racquet quicker - if u are tuned more to playing on slower surafces, the ball might actually feel as tho it is picking up speed off the bounce...

Thus...

a tactic that may be adopted is to chip/open face all returns early in a match where the conditions are super quick. I know of a nation that plays all its top level tournaments on the surface... and, the tactic used by the top players on return is 'Chip/Block 1st serves, Chip 2nd until you are into the match.'

Winning serve can be easy enough on this surface - yet, it is server friendly, therefore adopting a sound return tactic is perhaps the best way to approach a match on the surface.

Approaching the net from sliced shots is a good tactic in general play. As the bounce is generally low anyway, a sliced shot is even lower... if you are to attack from a decent slice - either short or deep - then, the defender will be forced to play the ball up...

Study the backround of the player you are up against.. maybe the surface is even more foreign to them - and, anything that works on you - will more than likely work on on them as well.

Good Luck...


ps: what is the climate like in the region you will be playing in...?

Thanks :worship: :worship:

The weather here is very hot,now in summer it's usually about from 25 C to 35 C...but of course I think they let me play at 18-18.30 pm so temperature is lower than normal ;)

Kolya 07-13-2008 02:49 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Consistent, medium to low bounces and not that fast.

Nice court to slide on as well.

Slices work well on this court.

Knightmace 07-13-2008 07:54 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 7326909)
Don't fall. You'll get buuuuurnt. :p

I HATED THAT!

fast_clay 07-13-2008 12:28 PM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro (Post 7327780)
Thanks :worship: :worship:

The weather here is very hot,now in summer it's usually about from 25 C to 35 C...but of course I think they let me play at 18-18.30 pm so temperature is lower than normal ;)


ok... sounds quite warm...

you should get a bit of extra time on the ball the hotter/drier it is - so less abbreviation of your swings... should be able to take a swing return at some second serves...

Bernard Black 07-14-2008 08:46 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Sorry if I'm too late.

Looks like you've had great tips so far. Just remember synthetic grass is lightning fast so you'll need to adapt your game. Serve-volley a lot, the slice serve will be very effecting on this surface, flat hitting will get you lots of winners. Just play a very aggressive game and you should be ok. Remember though, the bounce is very low and skiddy so you'll need good early prep on your groundstrokes.

Best of luck.

JM-Del-Potro 07-14-2008 09:28 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TidusZidane (Post 7336249)
Sorry if I'm too late.

Looks like you've had great tips so far. Just remember synthetic grass is lightning fast so you'll need to adapt your game. Serve-volley a lot, the slice serve will be very effecting on this surface, flat hitting will get you lots of winners. Just play a very aggressive game and you should be ok. Remember though, the bounce is very low and skiddy so you'll need good early prep on your groundstrokes.

Best of luck.

Thanks ;)

tennistim 08-22-2008 09:04 AM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Because the ball shoots through, you have to elongate the shape of your ground strokes.

The best example I can think of is Jimmy Connor's backhand - his stroke was straight back and straight forward. That's what I mean by elongated.

You will hit the ball with less mis hits and also the ball stays lower for your opponent.

Bernard Black 08-22-2008 01:27 PM

Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro (Post 7336321)
Thanks ;)

How did you get on then, Del Potro? Time for an update.

I have a match tomorrow on fake grass. It suits my game pretty well, although I know the guy I'm playing is an extremely attacking player, coming to the net on practically anything so it could be tricky.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.