MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=127448)

aroofnow 07-08-2008 10:51 AM

General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points)

Apart from Nadal himself, is it the fault of the umpires for being too lenient, or are they under instructions to go easy on him? Officials certainly appear reluctant to do anything to upset him. Or should his opponents be complaining to the umpires more about it?

Secondly, is Nadal's timewasting deliberate gamesmanship, or a consequence of his supersized ego and over-inflated opinion of himself, or due to something else?

Mimi 07-08-2008 10:56 AM

Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

:yawn::yawn::baby::baby:

gjr 07-08-2008 10:57 AM

It's down to something else. He's been doing it for so long now it's probably 2nd nature. The ATP need to sit down with Rafa and Nole and tell them it's not on.

The new players comming up will take it up and in 5 years there will be loads of them doing it.

Bad for tennis IMO.

Action Jackson 07-08-2008 10:59 AM

Umpires have to enforce the rules, even handedly, they don't.

Next topic to bitch about.

bokehlicious 07-08-2008 11:00 AM

That's taboo, just like doping... :angel: :o

Sunset of Age 07-08-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi (Post 7307277)
:yawn::yawn::baby::baby:

Sorry, but it is a justified subject to discuss, even if it all comes down to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent (Post 7307298)
Umpires have to enforce the rules, even handedly, they don't.

Next topic to bitch about.

So there's your answer.

ToniTennis 07-08-2008 11:04 AM

OK,

Firstly, is Nadal the only one that apparently does so? It's hard to believe that not other players do the same.

Secondly, his massive ego? dude you Rafa haters should focus on something else.

And don't get me wrong; if he regularly exceeds the time he should be penalized accordingly and that might be a good motivation to change that attitude, as he has done with the improvements of his game but, as I see it, that's just a part of him being so concentrated when playing. Anyway, do other players complain about it and make such a big deal or is it just you guys?

His massive ego?

groundstroke 07-08-2008 11:09 AM

He is often warned by umpires, actually. I think it happened to Nadal and Djokovic (warned by umpire for extreme gamesmanship) at the French Open this year somewhere in the second set.
Eventually an umpire will hate him and he will warn him 2+ times, then Nadal will hurry up.
It's not like Nadull does this alone, Djokovic and many others do it.

Action Jackson 07-08-2008 11:10 AM

Federer has complained about it. I know Fernando Gonzalez mentioned it to Carlos Bernades before their AO quarter final, when Gonzo thrashed him.

Ljubicic has mentioned in their matches and then there was this obvious displeasure at the timewasting.

aroofnow 07-08-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjr (Post 7307282)
The ATP need to sit down with Rafa and Nole and tell them it's not on.

Bad for tennis IMO.

I agree with you that it's bad for tennis, but I don't agree that officials should be sitting down with Nadal to explain it's not on. He is fully aware of both the rules and what he is doing. As PMK says, umpires should be enforcing the rules. If he is routinely exceeding the time limit, as he is, and by a considerable amount, he should be penalized. So that the player can be certain of how much time he has, large clocks counting down to zero could be installed at each end of the court, rather like in American Football.

Sebby 07-08-2008 11:18 AM

Umpires are cowards.

Action Jackson 07-08-2008 11:19 AM

Sure, the umpires have warned him once, but it has failed to get through. There are rules there that could give Nadal a point penalty for excess timewasting, but like I said before, the rule is there, and it's not enforced.

oranges 07-08-2008 11:20 AM

Remember when Agassi went to sit in a line judge's chair at one point :lol: Adorable.

Albatros99 07-08-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent (Post 7307298)
Umpires have to enforce the rules

What do the rules say? Anyone could point to me to the exact wording of the rules concerning how long a player should take to serve?

Action Jackson 07-08-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albatros99 (Post 7307423)
What do the rules say? Anyone could point to me to the exact wording of the rules concerning how long a player should take to serve?

20 seconds in between first and second serves.