MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Serve and Volley (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=126651)

dunlopkickserve 06-27-2008 10:57 AM

Serve and Volley
 
Ok I can serve, and I can volley..... so how do I serve and volley? I know what it is, but I don't really know the proper procedure except serve and run as close to net as you can before they hit the return. Should I take some speed off the serve in order to recover more quickly? Any tips would help. Thx

P.S. Tommy Haas in 3rd round @ Wimby. Why am I not surprised? GO TOMMY!

GlennMirnyi 06-27-2008 08:01 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
It's not that easy. You have to pull the split-step movement just before/near the T. Then you volley.

dunlopkickserve 06-28-2008 01:20 AM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 7254170)
It's not that easy. You have to pull the split-step movement just before/near the T. Then you volley.

yea I figured that out when I went 0-3 on S&V in my last match

GlennMirnyi 06-28-2008 05:18 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve (Post 7255413)
yea I figured that out when I went 0-3 on S&V in my last match

If you just run to the net you won't be able to do some basic things like taking a decent volleying stance or even gettin' to the ball (as if you just run you'll have to guess the side you'll have to reach for, otherwise you won't have time).

Lopez 07-01-2008 01:49 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
It's also good to think about placement and spin on the serve. It's important to get a weak return so the following volley won't be tricky. If you go for broke all the time, the returner may hit good and fast return only by blocking your serves back. First serve percentage is also a big factor. Think about getting service winners and easy returns, not aces. Body serves are also a good option.

I'm playing a lot more serve and volley nowadays especially against poor returners mainly because after spending a year in the army my consistency isn't what it used to be. Getting there though :).

dunlopkickserve 07-01-2008 03:16 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Where should I attempt to hit the volley from? I see alot of the pros take a swinging volley from the service line

GlennMirnyi 07-01-2008 11:15 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
The closest as possible to the net so it'll be easier to kill the point. If you need more than 1 volley to win a point you're in trouble.

fast_clay 07-01-2008 11:42 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopez (Post 7271441)
I'm playing a lot more serve and volley nowadays especially against poor returners mainly because after spending a year in the army my consistency isn't what it used to be. Getting there though :).

yes... after being a grinder as a junior, some of my matches today have shot-per-rally averages of 1.5. heh heh.:D




listen... one of the best ways to practise serve and volley is to study if an opponent hits prodiminantly slice on the backhand wing... if you see your opponent is placing slice on returns mostly... then, the chances are he/she'll float a good few to you for an easier volley... the volley is easier to play after the serve if you dont have to deal with dipping topspin return all the time... picking someones strength on return can be discouraging... going there over an over can make you appear to have a low iq...

if someone is chipping/open-facing your returns... then, its a good day to serve and volley...

also... hang time... if you can manage a half decent kick serve with a bit of hang time (time the served ball spends in the air before it lands in the service box) then you can get in to close the net for the volley... careful tho... the kick has to be of a certain calibre - so, mix it up with some of your other serves...

s & v is dead... but not at club level... :)

GlennMirnyi 07-02-2008 01:35 AM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fast_clay (Post 7273589)
yes... after being a grinder as a junior, some of my matches today have shot-per-rally averages of 1.5. heh heh.:D




listen... one of the best ways to practise serve and volley is to study if an opponent hits prodiminantly slice on the backhand wing... if you see your opponent is placing slice on returns mostly... then, the chances are he/she'll float a good few to you for an easier volley... the volley is easier to play after the serve if you dont have to deal with dipping topspin return all the time... picking someones strength on return can be discouraging... going there over an over can make you appear to have a low iq...

if someone is chipping/open-facing your returns... then, its a good day to serve and volley...

also... hang time... if you can manage a half decent kick serve with a bit of hang time (time the served ball spends in the air before it lands in the service box) then you can get in to close the net for the volley... careful tho... the kick has to be of a certain calibre - so, mix it up with some of your other serves...

s & v is dead... but not at club level... :)

So true. Best way to deal with people who only block returns.

Topspin Sports 07-03-2008 03:25 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Hitting the Serve and Volley can actually be pretty easy. It takes practice, lots of it.

This is my personal theory:

2 most important factors:

1. Picking the right time to serve and volley. Most players want to serve and volley therefore they resort to it on most serves. You must be smart with your serve and volley. For example if you plan on serving and volleying, accidentally hit a crappy serve, you must realize this and stay back. The situation plays a great role in your ability to serve and volley.

You say you can serve, and you say you can volley, but putting them together is completely different. It is more important that you know your opponents return pattern. If you bring them out wide, where do they ussually hit it? (generally it doesnt change too much, people like to stick with whats comfortable).

2. Point of your split step: This is extremely important. Your goal is to get as close to the net as possible, but...sometimes you cant. You must hit your split step just as he is about to make contact with the ball. This should give you enough time to set up for a good volley.


Just a few tips. Serve up the middle to cut off their angle. if you can get close to the net, this is extremely effective. You can serve and volley out wide, but make sure its a hell of serve and you are covering the angles!!

Yes, slow down your serve so you can get in quicker and closer (dont be an idiot though, if he is wrecking your slower serve, stop serving and volleying haha)

Make sure your not falling forward when you hit your volley. Running into a split step means your weight needs to be back on the split step so when you come forward for your volley you will be in control.

Here is a decent article: Read More about the Split Step!

Dont mind the site, it is going through serious surgery as you will see. I am getting ready for the relaunch in 2 weeks

Angle Queen 07-03-2008 05:36 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopez (Post 7271441)
It's also good to think about placement and spin on the serve. It's important to get a weak return so the following volley won't be tricky. If you go for broke all the time, the returner may hit good and fast return only by blocking your serves back. First serve percentage is also a big factor. Think about getting service winners and easy returns, not aces. Body serves are also a good option.

I'm playing a lot more serve and volley nowadays especially against poor returners mainly because after spending a year in the army my consistency isn't what it used to be. Getting there though :).

emphasis mine

:yeah:

I don't have a lot of power control on my serve...but my placement is usually good and I still am attempting to s/v sometimes. I concentrate on getting the serve in...and getting my butt to net. I love doing it against "big" returners -- ones who take big (predictable) swings and/or with lots of topsin (cause they usually feel like they can hit it with plenty of height over the net). "Blockers" are also easy pickin's.

And at my level of play (ladies 3.5), it's so rare, I can usually catch a lot of them by surprise. Then they start to put pressure on themselves...and start hitting their returns in the net or long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve (Post 7271787)
Where should I attempt to hit the volley from? I see alot of the pros take a swinging volley from the service line

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 7273471)
The closest as possible to the net so it'll be easier to kill the point. If you need more than 1 volley to win a point you're in trouble.

eh...I'm not so sure about the "one" volley rule. I'll take a "setup" shot any day...but I'll agree with getting in as quickly as possible. Just recognize you're not going to make every volley and your opponents will get off some decent passing shots. S/V requires a mental adjustment as much as a physical one.

Good luck with honing this (IMHO) important skill. It's a nice way to round out your repetoire.

Topspin Sports 07-03-2008 07:37 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
agreed, youll make mistakes trying to put the ball away in one shot. (Since your having trouble s/v)

GlennMirnyi 07-04-2008 04:32 AM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
The more volleys you need to close a point nowadays the lesser your chance to actually make the point. For instance, my coach is very very fast. Everytime I need more than 2 volleys I'm cooked.

Also a good strategy is faking it. Of course you need to be fast. I do that sometimes... I fall inside the court, pretending to rush and I get a short return (he lowered the return to make my volleys harder), easy to kill with a forehand winner or ready for an approach shot. Same goes if you're staying more at the back... if you see a floating return is coming, don't be afraid to rush.

A nice strategy is to create a pattern in a match and then in a crucial moment do something different. Of course this must be something you know how do to. Unless your opponent is very bad, if you have no plan B/C/D you'll have very limited success playing rushing the net.

fast_clay 07-04-2008 12:46 PM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 7283751)
The more volleys you need to close a point nowadays the lesser your chance to actually make the point. For instance, my coach is very very fast. Everytime I need more than 2 volleys I'm cooked.

Also a good strategy is faking it. Of course you need to be fast. I do that sometimes... I fall inside the court, pretending to rush and I get a short return (he lowered the return to make my volleys harder), easy to kill with a forehand winner or ready for an approach shot. Same goes if you're staying more at the back... if you see a floating return is coming, don't be afraid to rush.

A nice strategy is to create a pattern in a match and then in a crucial moment do something different. Of course this must be something you know how do to. Unless your opponent is very bad, if you have no plan B/C/D you'll have very limited success playing rushing the net.


yes... a fake rush is great... especially against more experienced campaigners... heh heh heh... those with good court craft generally get no more pleasure than changing from a topspun return to a cute dink to the feet of a net rusher to make you look silly... so... the fake is great to force the returner to start second guessing what they are gonna do - a fake rush allows you to keep the retruner in a certain amount of doubt tho... to use this tactic effectively tho.. a quick pair of heels or superior change of dircetion is required..

:)

yeah glenn... a good change up is key... lately i have been working on a slice down the tee section from a kick serve toss... but.. u have to have at least 3 or 4 service games where you have served a few 2nd serve kickers, thereby creating the pattern before the deception works...



the serve and 'sneak' volley tactic is great... unlike the premeditated serve and volley, it allows you the time to assess what's going on with a player and not cop brutal returns without too much warning... a good agressive tactic for the start of a match, cos you don't abandon your serve volley method too much, just vary it according to what the player has done instead of wondering what he/she will do... once a few service games of serve and sneak have been played, you can really go for it as you should have a decent handle on what a player is gonna do... ... ... so just serve and see which side is gonna draw a floaty return more often...

...as for a strong 1st volley...

a serve volley drill i have had massive success with in my squads is to play points with a 4 shot maximum.... once the 4th shot (returners second) has landed back in play, the return wins the point... this way... the server (who MUST hit a volley behind the serve) is forced to do something extra special with the 1st volley... i feel it ultra important to have a badass 1st volley... and i mean... badass - every bloody day... to help this drill work for students with lesser ability, i ask all returners to chip... therefore floating it back to the servevolleyer... also helps develop range and variety for returners as well...

first player to 11pts = set.. tiebreak style serve rotation... best of five sets... each session...
3pts for an unreturnable serve...
2pts for a serve and volley 'winner' .. (returner cant touch the volley)
1pt for all other wining points...

:)

:wavey:

Kolya 07-05-2008 01:46 AM

Re: Serve and Volley
 
Firstly you need a good serve.

Next be committed to run in don't hesitate as it may leave you in no man's land.

Depending on your tennis competition you should try to place your first volley then finish it with the 2nd volley.

But it all depends though on the situation.

Theres a lot of Edberg clips of his volleys from matches on YouTube. Watch those.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.