MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Rest Of The World (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Irish Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=124736)

Frederico 06-01-2008 04:07 PM

Irish Tennis

Thought we needed a thread for our Irish tennis players.
Hopefully our two main guys Sorensen and Niland can continue their good form this year Sorensen is on the list for qualifiers in Wimbledon.

tipp 06-03-2008 04:42 PM

Re: Irish Tennis

Yeah, hopefully! Irish tennis desparately needs someone to start posting some good results, otherwise the sport is just going to get less and less attention in the media and less people are going to start playing until we have virtually no chance of producing a top player.

I just looked up the site for the Shelbourne Open and saw that it's been brought up to a $75,000 Challenger (from a $50,000 last year). Not exactly a Masters, but it's good to see they're at least trying to build it up and make it a bigger event.

StevoTG 06-06-2008 09:20 PM

Sorensen could make it into the top 200 this year which would be fantastic, I'm hopeful that Niland could follow him next year.
If we beat Ukraine in the next DC tie then we should play Cyprus, I'm not sure where it would be played but the chance for the lads to challenge Baghdatis would be great!

Zirconek 06-06-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevoTG (Post 7157304)
Sorensen could make it into the top 200 this year which would be fantastic, I'm hopeful that Niland could follow him next year.
If we beat Ukraine in the next DC tie then we should play Cyprus, I'm not sure where it would be played but the chance for the lads to challenge Baghdatis would be great!

If you play Cyprus, the venue is in Cyprus, if Ireland and Portugal advances, Ireland plays at home

Good luck to Ireland :)

Frederico 06-15-2008 05:30 PM

The irish independent seems to think that Niland will be at Wimbledon qualifiers too. Even though he's still seven out on the list atm. Would be great if one of them could qualify. There is a futures event on in Limerick this week. Anyone know if there are any young irish players there who could make a mark in the future?

gorgeous_george 06-15-2008 09:34 PM

Hi! anyone know what dates the Irish Open is on?! (i know its around the same time as Wimbledon, but not sure of the exact dates?!)

tipp 06-17-2008 12:54 PM

June 29th - July 5th.

Louk Sorensen is through to the second Qualifying round at Wimbledon, btw. Niland did make it to the qualifiers but lost 6-7, 6-4, 6-4. Unlucky.

Henry Chinaski 06-17-2008 09:20 PM

Sorensen had to retire at a set all v Roger-Vasselin. Very unlucky but promising that he took a set from a guy that reached the third round last year. Hope he's fit for Dublin.

StevoTG 06-21-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederico (Post 7199341)
Anyone know if there are any young irish players there who could make a mark in the future?

Sam Barry (Born: 28th March 1991) won a Grade 4 in Estonia a few weeks ago, could be a promising talent.

StevoTG 07-21-2008 09:26 PM

Ireland (minus injured Louk Sorensen) were beaten by Ukraine :sad:

tipp 08-02-2008 03:14 PM

The two Junior tournaments in Cork and Dublin went on over the last fortnight. Cork was a total disaster for the Irish kids in attendance, all knocked out in the first round aside from Irish vs. Irish matchups, but the Dublin tournament was won by 15 year old John Morrissey, who also made it to the finals of the Doubles.

Henry Chinaski 08-08-2008 05:45 AM

Conor Niland has equalled his career best result by reaching the semi-final of the New Dehli challenger.

He beat top seed Danai Udomchoke in the qf and plays 18 y/o Aussie Brydan Klein (rank #289) in the semis. Good opportunity.

Frederico 08-09-2008 05:19 PM

Conor won the final! Well done for him

Henry Chinaski 08-09-2008 07:05 PM

good stuff. will be well inside the top 300 after this I presume.

koolnorman 08-12-2008 09:47 PM

What ever happend to louk's brother, kevin sorensen? He got a career high of 300 something, then all of a sudden, he stopped:(