MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=12446)

dokigor 07-07-2004 08:36 AM

Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Apologies if this has been discussed on here before, but what do people think about this? I'm a huge fan of the women's game, probably more than the men's but I just can't condone the issue of equal prize money at all for several reasons. Women don't play as many sets as the men in the majors and ticket sales suggest that people would rather watch the men's game, although that gap is narrowing I think.
Also, there is much more of a gap between the top women and those
outside the top 50, and that's why they breeze through the early
rounds in less than an hour, as opposed to the men, who are almost
always given a tough test. Anyone got any views on this? Is suppose if I
posted this on the WTA board I might get a different response

Lalitha 07-07-2004 08:58 AM

Re: EQUAL PRIZE MONEY FOR WOMEN

A lot has been said on this. But I believe that it should be equal for both.

Women players work just as hard as the male compatriots do, infact women have a lot of discomfortness in many ways compared to men.

It can be argued that men's tennis is best of 5, and they play for a long time on court compared to the women. But honestly best of 5 is only at Grandslams and in the finals of TMS events. They too play best of 3 in all other tournaments. So, why not equal prize money??

CarnivalCarnage 07-07-2004 09:30 AM

If you can prove that ticket sales suggest that, I'd really like to hear it. And don't cite those laughable Wimbledon polls the club had done. Those don't strike me as terribly scientific, and even if they were they wouldn't be very meaningful anyway.

Lalitha 07-07-2004 09:40 AM

Not only the ticket sales, even the ticket prices are higher to men's match.

But anyway, why do you think women should not be paid equal?

CarnivalCarnage 07-07-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalitha
Not only the ticket sales, even the ticket prices are higher to men's match.

But anyway, why do you think women should not be paid equal?

So prove that. Show me a ticket sales breakdown. I'm not saying it isn't true, just that I'm not going to take anybody on their word.

*Ljubica* 07-07-2004 12:27 PM

Even though I am a woman, I totally agree with Dokigor, - I have lost count of the number of early round Grand Slam matches where the likes of the Williams' sisters win their matches 6-0, 6-1 in less than an hour, while Top 10 male players have been forced into 5 setters. If I found out a colleague at my office was working less than half my hours and earning the same money I would be extremely upset and angry - this is no different. Equal pay for equal work is great - but 2 sets taking 50 minutes is in no way equal work to 5 sets taking 3 hours or more in my opinion. And I don't know about the ticket sale issue, but I do know that when I go to a Grand Slam event such as Wimbledon or Roland Garros, more fans are there for their favourite male player (whether it's Hewitt, Agassi, Federer or whoever), than seem to be there for the female matches. Most of the female matches seem to be an excuse for people to get food, walk around, buy souvenirs etc.

Action Jackson 07-07-2004 12:27 PM

No

Crazy_Fool 07-07-2004 12:31 PM

No, I've never agreed with it.

Good points there Rosie, people are just not that interested in womens tennis in comparison to mens.

sigmagirl91 07-07-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Fool
No, I've never agreed with it.

Good points there Rosie, people are just not that interested in womens tennis in comparison to mens.

I never was interested in women's tennis, so no.

CarnivalCarnage 07-07-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie
Even though I am a woman, I totally agree with Dokigor, - I have lost count of the number of early round Grand Slam matches where the likes of the Williams' sisters win their matches 6-0, 6-1 in less than an hour, while Top 10 male players have been forced into 5 setters. If I found out a colleague at my office was working less than half my hours and earning the same money I would be extremely upset and angry - this is no different. Equal pay for equal work is great - but 2 sets taking 50 minutes is in no way equal work to 5 sets taking 3 hours or more in my opinion. And I don't know about the ticket sale issue, but I do know that when I go to a Grand Slam event such as Wimbledon or Roland Garros, more fans are there for their favourite male player (whether it's Hewitt, Agassi, Federer or whoever), than seem to be there for the female matches. Most of the female matches seem to be an excuse for people to get food, walk around, buy souvenirs etc.

LOL. And if their work was just as valuable, would you have a case then?

Your experience at tournaments is nothing but conjecture.

And why don't you compare fair with fair? 2 sets taking 50 minutes versus 3 sets taking an hour and twenty. I didn't see much difference between the early rounds of Federer and Serena at Wimbledon this year. Or would you like to use only the extreme match lengths that suit you?

CarnivalCarnage 07-07-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
I never was interested in women's tennis, so no.

LOL. Another classic.

CarnivalCarnage 07-07-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
No

This is the only No vote that sounds halfway intelligent and the only reason for that is because you don't give any of the retarded excuses for discrimination.

Action Jackson 07-07-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarnivalCarnage
This is the only No vote that sounds halfway intelligent and the only reason for that is because you don't give any of the retarded excuses for discrimination.

You are the commissioner for the WTA, so there is no point in me stating the reasons for why I think that, and anything can used as an excuse for discrimination.

CarnivalCarnage 07-07-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
You are the commissioner for the WTA, so there is no point in me stating the reasons for why I think that, and anything can used as an excuse for discrimination.

Hah! I am Larry Scott, actually. How did you find out! Do you like my new ad campaign?

No really. Do tell. I would bet my life you can't cite anything that hasn't been trotted out a billion times.

Action Jackson 07-07-2004 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarnivalCarnage
Hah! I am Larry Scott, actually. How did you find out! Do you like my new ad campaign?

No really. Do tell. I would bet my life you can't cite anything that hasn't been trotted out a billion times.

It's Ok Larry I won't tell anyone.

It's an issue that I stopped long talking about, but there is a key to the amount of advertising revenue and sponsorship generated through the respective tours.