MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Wearing through tennis trainers. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=121367)

WillColey 04-15-2008 07:14 PM

Wearing through tennis trainers.

I am a regular player and play for about 10 hours every week. I find myself spending a large amount of money on new trainers every few months and am not sure why they seem to wear so quickly. They always wear in the same place which is where the end of my big toe is on my right foot. Please help as trainers are not cheap and I would much rather spend the money on rackets and balls! Any suggestions on the cause and ways to avoid this would be highly appreciated.
Will

Timbo 04-15-2008 07:51 PM

Re: Wearing through tennis trainers.

My guess is you drag your right foot towards your left when you're serving and probably the same when hitting your forehand. Try adjusting your serving style by having your feet closer together and using your knees more to get forwards momentum on your serve. That'll mean you won't drag your back foot as much as you lean into the serve. As for your forehand, you may need to improve your footwork so that you get to the ball quicker using smaller steps. You're probably using too large steps and reaching the ball late which means your back foot then drags along the court as it tries to catch up to the rest of your body after the shot.

Either that or you're wearing cheap and nasty tennis shoes :)

JimmyV 04-15-2008 07:55 PM

I play at least 5 times a week during the summer and go through a new pair of shoes about every month/month and a half.

WillColey 04-15-2008 07:57 PM

Thanks very much for replying so quickly Timbo. I do think that it maybe on my serve as I do have a quite wide stance.
Have you or anyone else got any recommendations about trainers to buy which have a good durability.
Thanks again Timbo!

JimmyV 04-15-2008 08:00 PM

For what it's worth Im a fan of the K-Swiss's, there comfortable, and hold up reasonably well for a fair price.

Timbo 04-15-2008 08:19 PM

Weird, I was just going to say K-Swiss...they're light, durable, look good, are reasonably priced and very comfortable. I shed a tear the day they stopped making Dunlop Volleys. When I was playing junior/satellite events I used to by 5 pairs at once for the same amount you'd spend on one pair of Nike's. At the end of each event I'd just throw them away ans tart on a new pair...they were so comfortable that you didn't even need to wear them in. All the other players would do the same so that by the end of the week the bins at the tournament site were just filled with used grips and discarded Dunlop Volleys!

r2473 04-15-2008 08:32 PM

Most shoes have a 6-month durability guarantee. Just return them.

I usually purchase 4 pair at a time from a large on-line retailer. I can burn through 3 or 4 pair in that 6 month time period. I then return them to the retailer and they give me store credit. I use the store credit to buy new shoes.

Repeat above every 6 months.

Burrow 04-15-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyV (Post 6883747)
I play at least 5 times a week during the summer and go through a new pair of shoes about every month/month and a half.

The trainers you buy must be shit then, I normally play every day in the summer, wear a couple of different pairs of ADIDAS tennis shoes, and they don't wear out for about 8 months, sometimes wear them in the gym as well...

Burrow 04-15-2008 09:03 PM

K-swiss tennis trainers look good? :spit:

FluffyYellowBall 04-15-2008 09:11 PM

Hey,
Dont buy trainers that are all leather. Like the pete sampras shoes. Theyre the least durable. Go for the new adidas feather collection or Nikes max beathe cage. I find these the most durable shoes.

Timbo 04-15-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burrow (Post 6884096)
K-swiss tennis trainers look good? :spit:

Any shoes look good when your game is as pretty as mine :)

Burrow 04-15-2008 09:14 PM

Adidas Feather are made from light material, the sole isn't solid at all, it is very thin, I have a pair but they aren't as good as the a3 or Barricades.

Burrow 04-15-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 6884144)
Any shoes look good when your game is as pretty as mine :)

Yeah, no doubt. :worship:

FluffyYellowBall 04-15-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burrow (Post 6884145)
Adidas Feather are made from light material, the sole isn't solid at all, it is very thin, I have a pair but they aren't as good as the a3 or Barricades.

I havent used them. Tried the max breathe cage though and i can assure u that they are durable. I play only 6 hourse a week now but last year and the year before was at least 12 hours per week and i had a pair that lasted a year. I still wear them in emergancies

MisterQ 04-16-2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillColey (Post 6883602)
They always wear in the same place which is where the end of my big toe is on my right foot.
Will

Mine always wear out at that exact same location.

I need steel-toed tennis boots. :lol: