MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Novak Djokovic Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=458)
-   -   Will Novak be the Serbian Flag Bearer In Beijing? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=121126)

Stensland 04-11-2008 09:18 PM

Will Novak be the Serbian Flag Bearer In Beijing?

NO, this is not another troll thread and i'm not trying to bash djokovic either. just wondering if there've been any rumours or any preliminary decisions - i remember federer in the opening ceremony bearing the swiss flag and back then it was talked about in march/april that he was up for it. i'm not familiar with serbian sportspersons in general but i doubt that there are any other athletes coming close to djokovic success-wise these days. i guess if he goes deep into the next two slams (or maybe even wins one of them) he'll be the flag bearer anyways. unless ivanovic wins the next two slams as well... :eek:

is any other player in the mix? maybe rafa with a fourth consecutive french open title? baghdatis for cyprus?

elessar 04-11-2008 09:22 PM

Re: Will Novak be the Serbian Flag Bearer In Beijing?

It wouldn't surprise me, even though for a country that size, Serbia certainly has a great number of top class athletes

JimmyV 04-11-2008 09:22 PM

I think Djoke and the baggage claim will be since those countries don't really have any other visible athletes, at least that I know of. I dunno about Spain though.

Aloimeh 04-11-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrrainer (Post 6863557)
NO, this is not another troll thread and i'm not trying to bash djokovic either. just wondering if there've been any rumours or any preliminary decisions - i remember federer in the opening ceremony bearing the swiss flag and back then it was talked about in march/april that he was up for it. i'm not familiar with serbian sportspersons in general but i doubt that there are any other athletes coming close to djokovic success-wise these days. i guess if he goes deep into the next two slams (or maybe even wins one of them) he'll be the flag bearer anyways. unless ivanovic wins the next two slams as well... :eek:

is any other player in the mix? maybe rafa with a fourth consecutive french open title? baghdatis for cyprus?

Possibly, but not necessarily. There are other decently prominent athletes who play football/soccer, basketball, and even recently a swimmer who broke the European record (Cavic). So it's up for grabs. I can't imagine Ivanovic carrying it - she's probably going to go for the "girly" role as Eurovision MC or something of that nature. If Djokovic wins the next two (:p) slams, I'm 100% sure he's carrying. If "only" one, then very likely. If none, then not likely at all.

dejosav 04-11-2008 09:57 PM

It's going to be him or Jasna Sekaric. Probably Djokovic for his recent success and popularity, which would be unfair for Jasna maybe the best ever sportsman/woman in Serbia.

Aloimeh 04-11-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dejosav (Post 6863800)
It's going to be him or Jasna Sekaric. Probably Djokovic for his recent success and popularity, which would be unfair for Jasna maybe the best ever sportsman/woman in Serbia.

I don't understand why sport shooting should be divided into male and female, just like chess. The differences in physical strength are neutralized by the action mechanism, so shouldn't they compete with men?

She sounds very talented and more deserving to carry the flag at this point than Djokovic.

Stensland 04-11-2008 10:32 PM

does anyone know the date when this has to be decided? i tried searching it but i couldn't find anything.

Tennis World A 04-11-2008 10:36 PM

I think it will likely be Novak or possibly Milorad Cavic (swimmer) because they will be targeting golden medals at the Olympics, with Novak being the most popular sportsman in Serbia and tennis far more popular sport than swimming, Novak is in forehand over Milorad. Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic (WTA World #2 and #3 respectively) are #3 and #4 contenders but they both said they would love to see Novak hold the flag.

Herdwick 04-11-2008 10:39 PM

Must be Nole - he'll do it to perfection! Am sure I read an interview with Ana where she said he'll do it and she'll win the medal.;)

Corey Feldman 04-12-2008 02:47 AM

Hope he trips up and impales himself

camnation 04-12-2008 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escude (Post 6864992)
Hope he trips up and impales himself

You sound like a wonderful human being. :wavey:

Renaud 04-12-2008 09:24 AM

Djokovic should be the new Olympic symbol.
This rings on the flag are ugly. Novak picture should replace them.

Vida 04-12-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloimeh (Post 6863890)
I don't understand why sport shooting should be divided into male and female, just like chess. The differences in physical strength are neutralized by the action mechanism, so shouldn't they compete with men?

She sounds very talented and more deserving to carry the flag at this point than Djokovic.

Absolutely agree. I've done interview with her in 2004 for some weekly magazine, kinda like how does she handle fame and personal life and that stuff. So my impression is, that not only is she a fantastic athlete with results beyond ...., but she is great personality and role model. She is certainly not a well know as Djokovic or Ivanovic to the world but has achieved much much more. I think she should do it.

FedererSlam 04-12-2008 01:28 PM

maybe he will be attacked by protestors and be set alight :worship:

dragon.serbia 04-12-2008 01:49 PM

I think that must be Jasna Sekaric, she deserves that and this is her last chance for bearing flag! But because big popularity of Nole in last two years i will not be suprised if he bearing Serbian flag. I hope that will be Jasna!!!