MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Ever thrown a tantrum on court? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=120507)

Bernard Black 03-31-2008 09:27 AM

Ever thrown a tantrum on court?

Exactly what the title says really, ever lost your rag in a match? Are you a cool Federer or a firey McEnroe?

Really came to my attention yesterday, I'm more of a McEnroe. It was a doubles match, and we made a really bad start so I was already fired up by my bad play and the fact we'd been on the receiving end of a couple of bad net cords. To rub salt in the wound our opponents were discussing strategy for a good 30 seconds after every point!

After I'd been waiting for what seemed like an age for the guy to serve (he was 40-0 up), I shouted "Is there a problem, or can we just get on with this?!". Of course, I shanked the return, threw my racquet and kicked the chair at the changeover. They continued their time-wasting regardless. Needless to say, we weren't going to make a spectacular comeback in this match and I just couldn't get my head together. I know how pros must feel when facing Nadal / Djokovic and their time-wasting antics! But I know it's only a game and should be played for fun, so I'm going to try to keep a lid on it in future if I can!

Anyone else had a temper tantrum in a match? Let's hear your stories!

StevoTG 03-31-2008 04:04 PM

Re: Ever thrown a tantrum on court?

Never a tantrum but I've thrown my racket into the net on a few occasions and shouted at myself quite loudly a couple of times. I hate to tell you this but I sometimes take a while between serves :lol:, it's got nothing to do with the opponent though.

When I play darts however.... there have been some tantrums (and a cracked computer screen in rage :o) but none recently, not since early 2007 I'd say.

jazar 03-31-2008 07:50 PM

one of my ex-doubles partners used to get really annoyed and swear all the time. one time he even launched a tirade of expletives on the very first point of a match after missing an easy volley. and when he started playing badly and getting annoyed it rubbed off on me and i started playing badly and getting annoyed and we would just egg each other on like that. and whenever we did that we lost the set. then we implented a no swearing policy, and when he did that we were unbeatable

GlennMirnyi 04-01-2008 01:11 AM

Complain and shout at myself all the time.

Bernard Black 04-01-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 6813669)
Complain and shout at myself all the time.

I tend to be exhausted after a long match, not really physically but mentally because I've been giving myself such a hard time.

Just thinking what it must be like for the pros. Probably a million times worse since they're playing for their livelihood with serious bucks and prestige at stake.

sheeter 04-06-2008 04:42 PM

I never shout at my opponents, but I do have a tendency to swear at myself and give myself a hard time. I also toss my racket in the air and catch it before it hits the ground. And sadly, if I just messed up big time, I'll take a long time between points to cool down. I feel sorry for my opponents afterwards, but I need the respite.

Topspin Sports 04-07-2008 02:02 AM

Today....

My partner slammed his racquet on the ground after an aweful volley.

As It popped up 5 feet in the air, I caught it!

FootWork 04-07-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Sports (Post 6842477)
Today....

My partner slammed his racquet on the ground after an aweful volley.

As It popped up 5 feet in the air, I caught it!

awesome.

i try not to show emotion when i play. i've had a lot of people tell me that it's unnerving to play against someone who doesn't speak at all, and keeps their face clear the entire game, it also helps my focus. anger, frustration, all that shit, does not belong on the tennis court.

Topspin Sports 04-08-2008 12:20 AM

Agreed, this is my theory...

No emotion is better than good/bad emotion

Although, I ONLY express good emotion at the right times. All other times I am completely clear of everything. Not surprised to win points and not upset to lose them!

Bernard Black 04-08-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Sports (Post 6846117)
Agreed, this is my theory...

No emotion is better than good/bad emotion

Although, I ONLY express good emotion at the right times. All other times I am completely clear of everything. Not surprised to win points and not upset to lose them!

Good call. There is a definite correlation between me playing it cool on court and playing well. I can string together winners showing no emotion, whereas if I get too pumped up over winning a point I'll invariably feel a come down and miss a few easy shots.

I can't actually remember a time where I've gotten angry and actually played better as a result of it. I tend to try to over-hit the serve and the opponent quickly reads I'm going to be hitting all flat hard serves trying to find the ace.

groundstroke 04-13-2008 02:08 AM

No but I have almost thrown my racquet a few times.

Knightmace 05-04-2008 04:19 AM

Keep my cool now.

Use to hit my racqet a few times.

ThizServe 05-04-2008 06:41 PM

i swear at my self when i mess up a hit and occasionally throw my racquet at the net. but for some reason i laugh and smile when the game is deuce.

sheeter 05-05-2008 02:47 PM

Just recently i lost my temper after losing a two hour + match and hit myself so hard with my racket i almost bled on my knee.

Angle Queen 05-10-2008 05:16 AM

Cool cuke on the court although the occasional curse word escapes the lips (always to/at myself and with my back to my opponent). But you should hear me in the car on the way home....:lol: