MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Two-handed V One-handed Backhand (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=119855)

Goodia 03-21-2008 08:25 PM

Two-handed V One-handed Backhand

What it is i recently had a coaching lesson but i was learning how to do a topsin backhand which i was being told to do two handed. But the thing is it felt really uncomfortable and i asked why cant we do this single handed but i was told this was easier . The question is i was unsure whether i would be better at attempting it one-handed ? As i use a one handed backhand anyway but mainly slice the ball back ! What do you think ? How do the mechanics of the shot differ ? Thanks

Bernard Black 03-22-2008 12:36 AM

Re: Two-handed V One-handed Backhand

Man, coaches are lazy these days haha, just teach whatever the kids will learn quickly.

Stick with the one hander, since you're already comfortable with the shot, it'll pay off in the long-run with the added versality, and sounds like you have a competent slice to back it up.

GlennMirnyi 03-22-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TidusZidane (Post 6762790)
Man, coaches are lazy these days haha, just teach whatever the kids will learn quickly.

Stick with the one hander, since you're already comfortable with the shot, it'll pay off in the long-run with the added versality, and sounds like you have a competent slice to back it up.

I'm just glad my coach taught me the one-hander.

Kolya 03-22-2008 04:51 AM

Use whatever feels comfortable.

With the one hander just use your wrist to get the racquet underneath the ball then hit the ball with an upward motion for topspin.

Goodia 03-22-2008 01:28 PM

I was told to start quite low then bring it up like a windscreen wiper for the two handed , what do you recommend i do for the one handed ? Thanks

Kolya 03-22-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodia (Post 6764175)
I was told to start quite low then bring it up like a windscreen wiper for the two handed , what do you recommend i do for the one handed ? Thanks

Well for topspin you have to start low as you said. For me with a one hander, I try and get the racquet head low and use my wrist to generate the topspin.

Bend the wrist down and then flick it up when you are hitting the ball and follow through with your arm.

Its very difficult to explain the motion without a demonstration.

sheeter 03-23-2008 08:49 PM

I actually switched from a two hander to a one hander. I don't regret it in the slightest!

sorrowman 03-23-2008 11:41 PM

the best is what is making you to be more comfort but you must know that is very difficult to find out a coach that know good 1h bh and more difficult to know how to teach you this...

HKz 03-24-2008 06:59 AM

When you are trying to master the one-handed backhand, you really do need a coach because really bad habits and bad forms will take place if you try to learn it yourself.

BodyServe 03-24-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheeter (Post 6770464)
I actually switched from a two hander to a one hander. I don't regret it in the slightest!

Same here,the slice seems natural to me now.

HKz 04-07-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BodyServe (Post 6773441)
Same here,the slice seems natural to me now.

Well the slice backhand is not really that valid to talk about because there are many two hand backhand players that use one handed slices.

Goodia are you new at the game? Because on my high school team, there are a few players that I'm trying to teach, since our good coach left us :sad: . They have these one hand backhands which are horrid, as if they are playing racketball or something; they swing their racket down inconsistently doing some partial slice and then they complain about people who hit the ball too high or just get the ball back. So instead of trying to teach them a regular topspin one handed backhand and hoping that they won't have bad habits and revert to their old ways, I'm trying to teach them two handed backhands to start from scratch.

However my efforts are useless as they claim that they are comfortable with their backhands and insist that they can become great players with it. And then when I ask them if they have seen any professional, or even any top junior hit like that, they tell me that this is the way they want to hit.

Ugh sorry for the post actually, my frustration with these youngins is stressing me out. But I know for a fact that one of these freshmen will turn out to be an amazing player.

Bernard Black 04-07-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 6842568)
Well the slice backhand is not really that valid to talk about because there are many two hand backhand players that use one handed slices.

Goodia are you new at the game? Because on my high school team, there are a few players that I'm trying to teach, since our good coach left us :sad: . They have these one hand backhands which are horrid, as if they are playing racketball or something; they swing their racket down inconsistently doing some partial slice and then they complain about people who hit the ball too high or just get the ball back. So instead of trying to teach them a regular topspin one handed backhand and hoping that they won't have bad habits and revert to their old ways, I'm trying to teach them two handed backhands to start from scratch.

However my efforts are useless as they claim that they are comfortable with their backhands and insist that they can become great players with it. And then when I ask them if they have seen any professional, or even any top junior hit like that, they tell me that this is the way they want to hit.

Ugh sorry for the post actually, my frustration with these youngins is stressing me out. But I know for a fact that one of these freshmen will turn out to be an amazing player.

Well, you are their coach so it's up to you, but I think if they are comfortable with their style and having a good time playing you should let them carry on as they are rather than remoulding their games. Many professionals past and present don't have a cast-iron perfect technique for some of their best shots, yet they are effective with it through years and years of practice.

Don't sweat it if they're struggling with their one-handers. Not many kids around still use it so I think we should embrace those that try.

gaz 04-07-2008 09:09 AM

i am a tennis coach as a profession and there are advantages with both shots

two handed
pros

generally more power as you have two hands
more stable
more weight behind the shot
a wider range of grips can be used

cons
need better footwork
need good co-ordination becuase you are using two hands

one hander
pros

versatility
more topspin as a general rule
wider range of shot shapes as long as the correct principles are followed
more reach
and a wider range of stances can be used

cons

less power
requires more strength from the player
can be less natural to a player

i hope that helps i always go with what is more natural to a player wether they be a beginner or top 10 in the country

M@nu 04-07-2008 02:37 PM

I started playing tennis 10 years ago. The first 4 years I just played a one-handed backhand which was really really bad.. I could not get any power or controll in it.. It was nothin you know..

Then my trainer told me to change some things. So, for 6 years I'm playing a double handed backhand..

Until now, it's my best stroke. :)

FootWork 04-07-2008 07:14 PM

i use a one-handed backhand, i love it. it's way more solid than my forehand, though a little less powerful. right now i'm working on generating more topspin with it because it's really difficult for me, i usually hit really flat backhands when the ball is low, and if it's high i'll slice it back. i think that the two handed backhand feels really awkward. i also think that the one-handed is better because it's more subtle whether you're going to slice or hit with topspin, seeing as you use one hand either way, when most players that use two hands for topspin still use one for slice.