MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Newbie, what racquet do I need? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=118215)

ibanick 02-23-2008 11:47 PM

Newbie, what racquet do I need?

Hello all
I've started tennis since November , I've been having lessons twice a week.
Besides continuing the lessons I've played some 1-set games with some of the teachers and other students. I would risk to say that my level at this point is 2.0-2.5

I started playing with a Prince Air Freak 100, wife's gift. Ever since I've tried out other racquets and found not to appreciate my racquet's feel as much as others. I don't know why.

Here in Greece tennis is not a sport a lot of people play so you can neither find tennis oriented stores nor real experts.

So, wanting to buy my next racquet (all around preferably), are there characteristics that suit my level at present and for the next 1-2 years? Headsize, weight etc etc.

Thanks in advance for your time and help

Nikos

jazar 02-24-2008 09:41 AM

Re: Newbie, what racquet do I need?

you should be looking for a racket of a similar weight (about 290g), a slighlty head heavy balance, and a midplus head size. here are a couple of suggestions:

Head Microgel Extreme (107 sq inch, 286g)
Wilson K4 105 (105 sq inch, 286g)
Prince Ozone 7 (105 sq inch, 290g)
Babolat Aero Strike Cortex (100 sq inch, 292g)

ibanick 02-24-2008 09:53 AM

thank for the suggestions Jazar

I've seen from others posts that you are against O3 racquets and that RED is a women's racquet.
Since Ozone has almost the same specs why not buy a O3. I mean they are supposed to be the lastest tech. of Prince.

Nikos

jazar 02-24-2008 04:27 PM

03 was the orinigal and it has been followed by the 03 speedport and the ozone, which is exactly the same of the 03s. i said ozone cos they have a cheaper retail price than the others, unless of course the others are on sale

ibanick 02-24-2008 05:34 PM

ok
thanks again

ibanick 02-25-2008 04:43 PM

jazar

suggestions on stringtype and tension?

thanks

Gillespie 05-27-2008 02:19 PM

Personally, I like the Aero Strike Cortex option better. I'm not a fan of oversize racquets, not even for beginners unless you need the power, so the midplus Aero Strike seems like a good option.

However, this racquet is head heavy meaning that the head is heavier than the handle. You may find some problems with that balance down the line, but for beginners it is a great racquet. I started with it as well.

As far as string type and tension, this is a very personal issue. The rule of the thumb is to start half way at the racquet indicated tension and adjust from there. I had bad results with the cheaper nylon (synthetic gut) strings and only use polyester and multifilaments. I prefer a nice polyester in the mains and multi in the crosses combo as I find that I can have the benefits of poly but not the stiffness.

Try stringing the mains with something like Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour and use Bablat Attraction in the crosses. If you can afford it, substitute the Attraction for Babolat Xcel Premium. Wilson Sensation is also a nice multifilament. If you don't like Pro Hurricane Tour's bright yellow color, you can switch to something like Head Ultra Tour.

The main idea is to have polyester in the mains and a multifilament in the crosses. You can play around with brands and gauges until you find something you like.

ibanick 05-29-2008 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It gives me an opportunity for feedback. I actually bought the KFour 105 a few months back. At first it felt great.Easy to handle, control and power.
But soon enough I started feeling slight pain on my triceps. I let it go for a few days, then went back but pain insisted. Finally, after an intense game with my instructor I got the tennis elbow............note that I do lite weightlifting 2-3 a week so I am in good shape.
When I recovered I played with the KFour and the pain in the triceps reappeared. Ever since I've been playing with my old racket (Prince Air 100). I have no problem with the triceps just slight pinches on the elbow.

So, I'm begining to think that the KFour was the cause of my injuries. What do you think?

thanks
Nikos

Gillespie 05-30-2008 02:46 AM

Well, I can't tell for sure. The best thing we can do is the old cause and effect drill where you go with whatever works. If the pain comes when you play with the KFour, then stop using it. However, before you stop using it, try changing the strings to something different, preferably in another category (poly, multi, nylon, natural gut) as the one you currently have to rule out that the pain is actually coming from the strings and not the racquet. If possible, string at a lower tension as that is easier on the arm as well.

Keep in mind that the KFour is a VERY stiff racquet. Both versions of it are rated at 74 RA. If you have tennis elbow history, I'd say that you should stay away from anything over 67-68 RA, including the Aero Strike, which comes in at an unhealthy 70 RA.

ibanick 05-30-2008 09:03 AM

Hello Gillespie

thanks for all the advice. You seem to know what you're talking about.
Another thing, I rarely find a latin american which is so good in english.

So, since I dont have any experience and knowledge in tennis it is hard for me to follow a few of the things you say. For instance, how can the racket itself be stiff? Doesnt the term apply to the stringing?

If I were to replace the Kfour, what racket do you suggest? Is the O3 Red proper?

And finally, do you have any experience with ball machines? I'm thinking of getting one (Lobster freedom) so I can practice.

thanks
Nikos