MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Andy Roddick Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=115826)

Deboogle!. 01-16-2008 05:27 AM

2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff

I'm pretty surprised by this. Andy's never missed the event, has won it, made the finals last year, it's the only ISG tourney he usually plays, but it's not like him to not enter accidentally or something. How absolutely bizarre. If anything, the spring indoor tourney I'd hoped he would've cut would've been San Jose. Odd odd odd.

So I may have found an answer. Andy's committed to Dubai the week after memphis - along with most of the other top 10, meaning Andy would have little chance to win that event anyway. I'm shocked. And saddened and really disappointed that Andy would ditch a long-standing US Event that has helped him and that he has helped so much with the hospital and everything there, to sell out to go to Dubai. I really thought he was better than that. So he will go from Australia to the US to Austria to San Jose to Dubai to Indian Wells in the span of about a month. That's brilliant.
=====================

Roddick likely to miss Memphis tournament
Ends 7-year streak; may still get wild-card entry

By Phil Stukenborg

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, two-time defending champion Tommy Haas, 2002 finalist James Blake and rising Americans Donald Young and John Isner will highlight the 32-player field in next month's Regions Morgan Keegan Championships, but a familiar attraction will be missing.

Andy Roddick, the world's sixth-ranked player, will end a seven-year run of appearances in Memphis's annual stop on the men's pro tennis circuit. Roddick did not enter the event, which will be played Feb. 24-March 2 at The Racquet Club. Although Monday was the official deadline for entering, tournament officials will hold a wild-card spot for Roddick.

Tournament director Phil Chamberlain said Isner, whose ranking of 109 was not high enough to earn direct entry into the field, was given one of the three wild cards. He has not issued the other two.

"But we'll hold the last one for Roddick," he said.

Roddick won the 2002 RMKC and was a finalist to Haas in last year's tournament. He is scheduled to play in San Jose the week before Memphis and in Dubai the week after.

The field for the Cellular South Cup, the women's tourney played in conjunction with the RMKC, will be announced next week. The CSC has received commitments from defending champ Venus Williams and former world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport.

Chamberlain said that while Roddick may be absent, tennis fans will have a chance to "potentially see another Roddick."

Young, 18, is coming off a breakthrough season, earning a top-100 ranking by posting strong results at the sport's minor-league level. Ranked 98th, he won a Challenger tournament and reached the finals of four others. He also advanced to the third round of the U.S. Open.

Isner, 22, turned pro last summer after a standout four-year career at the University of Georgia, where he led the Bulldogs to the 2007 NCAA title. After turning pro, he reached the finals of an ATP Tour event in Washington, defeating Haas and Tim Henman before losing to Roddick in the championship.

Isner, a towering 6-9, also reached the third round of the U.S. Open

"They are the top two up-and-coming Americans," Chamberlain said. "It's good to have them. They have serious potential to be top players (in the world)."

Other Americans in the field include veteran Mardy Fish, a Memphis semifinalist last year, 20-year-old Sam Querrey and Vincent Spadea, who is in his 15th year on tour. The field includes 24 direct entries, four entries from qualifying play the weekend before the tournament, three wild cards and a special exemption.

Chamberlain also said he was excited about the addition of veteran Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean, a former top-10 player. The 29-year-old is a two-time Wimbledon semifinalist who reached the quarterfinals of last year's Australian Open.

"He's a colorful player, he's a character, he's flamboyant," Chamberlain said

Like Grosjean, Gonzalez, 27, will be making his first appearance in Memphis. He reached the finals of last year's Australian Open and won the eighth title of his career.

Also joining the field -- and previously unannounced -- were Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic and 2006 runner-up Robin Soderling of Sweden. A quarterfinalist at Wimbledon in 2006, Stepanek won his second career ATP title last summer in Los Angeles. Soderling missed the final three months of 2007 with a wrist injury.

The men's field will be missing another Top 10 player. Great Britain's Andy Murray, like Roddick, will be playing in the ATP event in Dubai the week after Memphis and will skip the event here, which he has played the past two years.

"We've still got Tommy (Haas), Blake and Gonzalez, who is seven in the world," said tournament owner Mac Winker. "And the women's field has Venus and Lindsay. I remember one year when we lost (Stefan) Edberg and (Michael) Chang early (in the men's draw) and a young American no one had heard of, Andre Agassi, won."

GollyLou 01-16-2008 05:48 AM

Re: 2008 Andy News (title suggestions welcome)

San Jose is sponsored by SAP - and so is Andy. Which might also explain why he's skipping Memphis and not San Jose.

That news article makes me really sad. :sad: I see Andy's finally give into the $$$$$$ coming from Dubai. :(

Fee 01-16-2008 05:53 AM

Wow. Well... I'm just...

Deboogle!. 01-16-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GollyLou (Post 6436885)
San Jose is sponsored by SAP - and so is Andy. Which might also explain why he's skipping Memphis and not San Jose.

I know...

it's just disappointing for me on many many levels. Not only is it inordinately poor planning and unnecessarily excessive traveling to a really faraway place, but it upsets me on more personal levels that I don't think are appropriate to get into here, so I won't go there. But the more I've been sitting here thinking about it, the more disappointed I am in him. To see him ditch a US tourney that had always seemed so very important to him, but not just ditch it, but ditch it for one in DUBAI of all places, a tourney known for paying its players up the ass, a tourney for which I have openly spoken out against other players for playing.... I don't think i've ever been disappointed in Andy like this. Because through all the disappointing losses, poor play, lack of preparation, ditching the clay season, all of that stuff, I could always respect him as a person and for the person he always seemed to be, his loyalty and dedication. And this really makes me question that. And that makes me sad.

Tytta!. 01-16-2008 09:22 AM

Oy.

tangerine_dream 01-16-2008 11:24 AM

Gee, a lot of presumptions are being made here. How do we know Andy didn't make a promise for somebody at Dubai to play there? Murray'$ al$o $kipping Memphi$ to $ell out to Dubai this year.

I'm thinking that the Dubai people have probably been trying to get Andy to play there for years and maybe Andy decided, okay maybe this one time. It's not like he goes every year. I think his playing Dubai is a one time deal and not likely to be permanently part of his schedule. This is also an Olympic year so players' schedules are going to get shaken up a bit.

I'll wait until I hear what Andy and his people have to say before I decide whether to be angry with him or not.

Winston's Human 01-16-2008 11:28 AM

Very disappointing (if true).

This is almost as bad as when Agassi blew off the original Las Vegas tournament to chase dollars (or is that euros) in Dubai.

dibs 01-16-2008 11:46 AM

Andy can't win here. When he plays the US tournaments he's accused of trying to avoid playing the top guys who are all in Dubai. Not sure that Agassi really needed the dollars during his last season but, again, competition in Dubai is probably better preparation for Masters/Slams than the level of competition on offer in Las Vegas and Memphis.

simona21 01-16-2008 11:54 AM

Emmmm...really happy to hear that he is coming to Dubai....I live in the UAE....and Dubai is part of my country...it's means there is a chance i will see him playing live and meet him in person....

he always talked about spreading the tennis in the world....this is really help spreading the game in the gulf area....
i don't know why you people are sad and disappointed of Andy....?? he always can go back and play in Memphis in the later years...
Dubai is really cool place...he is very welcomed...

kaylee 01-16-2008 01:17 PM

I too shall reserve judgement. Having seen Dubai it does seem a very cool place and as mentioned if most of the higher competition (a la Fed) goes Andy might as well try it and see.

Jimnik 01-16-2008 01:24 PM

Wow, I didn't see that one coming.

But I guess it was inevitable. I'm sure Dubai must have approached him before but like Tangy said, being an Olympic year, his schedule was going to be different. In a way he might get more respect from others outside this forum because he'll be competing in a much tougher field. And it proves that he isn't scared of venturing out into the world and playing events a long way from home.

I guess I can see why the decision would upset people but personally I like to see a player give different things a go. Even if the deci$ion wa$ made for the wrong rea$on.

Tytta!. 01-16-2008 01:48 PM

Jimnik :yeah:

Fumus 01-16-2008 02:06 PM

Quite Dubias(dubious) of Andy.

simona21 01-16-2008 03:45 PM

i;m really disappointed of people reaction about Dubai....the important thing is hopefully Andy will come (still not sure...nothing mentioned in our papers yet) ...and I'll go to see him life..people get paid all the time...why this is different??

Deboogle!. 01-16-2008 03:51 PM

Because it's very unlike Andy to ditch a local US tourney - a tourney where he has done a lot of work for the local hospital (Garrett Star anyone?), a tourney he says is important to him, one of his favorite places to play, where he's played since he turned pro - for what is surely nothing more than a big paycheck. I just thought Andy was better than that. It's nothing against the tournament or the country, it's about Andy. And frankly, as my mom used to say to me, I don't care about other people. I care about Andy; he's the one i've chosen to support. I can only speak for myself but of course, no one meant to offend anyone, we are just really surprised at this decision.

but it's on the tournament's website, and also on AR.com that he'll be there, so he's definitely committed.