MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Part 2 : Which one of these 8 youngsters will have the best career? Cilic, etc etc) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=113939)

Action Jackson 12-06-2007 07:00 AM

Part 2 : Which one of these 8 youngsters will have the best career? Cilic, etc etc)

Like the previous thread where deivid and myself had the convo about the 8 players and divided them into groups of 2 and seeing who had the more potential for success from Gasquet, Murray, Baghdatis, Berdych, Verdasco, Djokovic, Monfils and del Potro.

This time we have 8 players, but there will be no groups. It will be like how I run the Liked/Disliked players thread, rate from then to 1 to 8. One being the best and 8 the worst. Give reasons if possible, it will make it more interesting to read.

Yes, their GS results will be updated as they compete in them and follow the progression of them into top players for some and others maybe not. For the most part I tried to get them in the same age, but Tsonga is here mainly because 2007 was his 1st full season without injury problems.

Success, well that would mean best potential or which one of them will win GS titles and TMC/TMS titles in the future.

The list of 8 are

- Gulbis
- Korolev
- Tsonga
- Cilic
- Young
- Querrey
- Zverev
- Bolelli

There is some variety among these players. Tsonga and big Sam with the huge shots, Zverev with the serve/volley, Korolev huge groundies, Gulbis has good variation. Young plays differently as he isn't all about the power. Cilic has very good work ethic and Bolelli could do well in some clay events.

CooCooCachoo 12-06-2007 08:57 AM

Re: Part 2. Which one of these 8 youngsters will have the best career?

I think Simone is also good indoors.

I wish I'd say Mischa will have the best career, but I doubt it. He's definitely got the nicest game to watch, though.

Tsonga and Querrey are good, but too inconsistent to be a real threat all year long. Ditto for Cilic.

I think Evgeny has the most potential to have a great, solid career.

Horatio Caine 12-06-2007 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent (Post 6323467)
Like the previous thread where deivid and myself had the convo about the 8 players and divided them into groups of 2 and seeing who had the more potential for success from Gasquet, Murray, Baghdatis, Berdych, Verdasco, Djokovic, Monfils and del Potro.

This time we have 8 players, but there will be no groups. It will be like how I run the Liked/Disliked players thread, rate from then to 1 to 8. One being the best and 8 the worst. Give reasons if possible, it will make it more interesting to read.

Yes, their GS results will be updated as they compete in them and follow the progression of them into top players for some and others maybe not. For the most part I tried to get them in the same age, but Tsonga is here mainly because 2007 was his 1st full season without injury problems.

Success, well that would mean best potential or which one of them will win GS titles and TMC/TMS titles in the future.

The list of 8 are

- Gulbis
- Korolev
- Tsonga
- Cilic
- Young
- Querrey
- Zverev
- Bolelli

There is some variety among these players. Tsonga and big Sam with the huge shots, Zverev with the serve/volley, Korolev huge groundies, Gulbis has good variation. Young plays differently as he isn't all about the power. Cilic has very good work ethic and Bolelli could do well in some clay events.

Very good thread mate...really struggling to choose one out of that list. I'll eliminate Tsonga first as I don't see him making much noise on the slower surfaces.

Only seen 2 minutes of Korolev on Youtube, so I can't really comment.

I'm expecting Cilic to be top 20 eventually, but he might lack consistency to threaten for many title wins, especially the bigger events.

Bolelli should do well, but, again, I'm not sure about his chances in the bigger tournaments.

Gulbis has the power to beat most players, so if he can learn how to control his aggression, he is capable of doing a lot of damage imo.

Querrey has top 20 potential imo; same with Young (maybe top 10).

Zverev is lacking in a few areas, and I'd put him in the same boat as Tsonga...top 50 at best imo.

Overall, I'd go with Gulbis, Korolev or Cilic.

Allegretto 12-06-2007 09:14 AM

I'd say Gulbis. I've been very impressed by what I've seen of him.

Kolya 12-06-2007 09:29 AM

Mr. Gulbis.

VolandriFan 12-06-2007 09:39 AM

Gulbis has such a messy game, terrible to watch. He may be able to emulate Ljubicic like results, but it's doubtful. People always see these youngsters rise into the top 100 and 50 and immediately epithet them as the next big thing. The reality is that at this point, many of these players will plateau and remain a mediocre entity with the occasional good result.

A large percentage of our legends did not become top 10 material overnight, so those with rapid development aren't always the best to bet on for the future. I'm more inclined to believe that Bolelli, who has so many weapons in his arsenal, will one day tame his strokes and garner some consistency. He has a forehand to rival the best in the game and his backhand is also a well-constructed, fluid stroke. Under the right guidance, he has a chance to develop into something special.

Out of those you listed, Young, Zverev and Tsonga are the other potential standouts.

Action Jackson 12-06-2007 11:46 AM

Korolev for me has the most potential, but this means shit really and once he learns he doesn't need to murder the ball, then can do well on all surfaces except grass.

Johnny Groove 12-06-2007 12:37 PM

Whenever i watch Gulbis and DY, i always feel as if I am watching potentially great players. DY isnt the typical American big serve big forehand shit backhand crap movement clownish volleys guy. He has alot of variety, a nice breath of air from the "bolietieri-izing" baseline smashers w/ big serves.

Gulbis as well, great kid, still needs some more years under his belt, but he got into the top 50 this year and slid back a bit, but he is also an all-surface threat

dijus 12-06-2007 01:03 PM

You wanted a list. It's hard to call of course, but here it is mate
1.Gulbis
2.Young
3.Korolev
4.Bolelli
5.Tsonga
6.Cilic
7.Zverev
8.Querrey

Iván 12-06-2007 02:17 PM

How can you compare gulbis to ljubo?

incredible.

Gulbis has much more to his game than ljubo..awful comparison by volandri fan.

NinaNina19 12-06-2007 02:19 PM

Cilic and Gulbis if he gets it together mentally and stops hitting everything out.

DrJules 12-06-2007 06:30 PM

Much prefer the individual approach to the 2 group approach.

With the 2 groups there were players in each I rated and players I did not rate.

scarecrows 12-06-2007 06:44 PM

1. Korolev
2. Gulbis
3. Young
4. Cilic
5. Bolelli
6. Zverev
7. Querrey
8. Tsonga

just random thinking, I havent seen enough of them to judge.
Korolev and Gulbis have the more complete game IMO and can play well in various surfaces. Also they played quite enough tournaments on the main tour already. Cilic might need another year for his full potential but I can see him in top 20 in 2-3 years. Simone closed the season in style winning the rich Bratislava Challenger and showed that he's not just a clay courter. He's older than the other guys (bar Tsonga) so i dont see him so well in this list to be honest. Young did well to finish season in top 100 but we all know his record in ATP matches. Let's see how he matches with the top 50s next season but he's young and has game so I see him winning plenty of titles.
The other 3 are a bit limited in certain surfaces. Zverev and Tsonga are far from being consistent and Querrey hasnt convinced me much. I like Zverev's style though but he needs quite fast courts to do well and courts are getting slower and slower

Stensland 12-06-2007 06:45 PM

if gulbis gets some consistency next year and tries to stay focussed a little more during matches, i thing he has a good chance to break into the top 20.

i'll always remember that match vs. robredo. man, he crushed him, good lord...

Chris Seahorse 12-06-2007 06:45 PM

1.Gulbis
2.Young
3.Korolev
4.Tsonga
5.Zverev
6.Cilic
7.Querrey
8.Bolelli