MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   My first tournament-any advice?? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=111333)

markhingis 10-11-2007 01:57 PM

My first tournament-any advice??

hi!this weekend I'm playing my first amateur tournament. any advice you could give?
how to figure out opponents weakness,what shots use-I mean slice, or moonballs ;)

leng jai 10-11-2007 02:03 PM

Re: My first tournament-any advice??

* Hit aces as much as possible. Preferably on every point. Might be tough on return games but try anyway.
* Usually hitting powerful on the line winners is a winning play.
* Distract your opponent by picking your ass in between ground strokes.
* Dead net cords are also a good source of points unless your opponent is at the net.
* Bounce the balls as many times as you like until you feel you are ready to hit an ace.
* If you're losing take a medical timeout. Pretend you're half dead and miraculously recover when your opponent stops trying. If you're still losing after that just quit.

Bobby 10-11-2007 02:07 PM

This may not be GM thread, but i'll offer you some advice, since I'm in a good mood. Pay attention to his shots ever since the warming up. Hit some deep slice, some deep topspin and see how he reacts. That's all really. Hit different kinds of shots, until you find the weak spot. Then stick to the game plan and keep it simple. Most of all, enjoy the match! That's the key to a good match.

trixtah 10-11-2007 02:40 PM

Don't listen to the retarded second post for one thing. I'd agree with Bobby--see where your opponent's weaker wing is during warm up and hit a variety of shots to see how he responds to them. Most importantly, don't be suckered into changing your game unless it's not working and if you feel the pressure, don't push the ball. Just keep hitting through!

markhingis 10-11-2007 02:54 PM

thanks for your clues!

tennisplayer89 10-12-2007 12:23 PM

Don't worry and have fun.

Dougie 10-13-2007 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai (Post 6119814)
* Hit aces as much as possible. Preferably on every point. Might be tough on return games but try anyway.
* Usually hitting powerful on the line winners is a winning play.
* Distract your opponent by picking your ass in between ground strokes.
* Dead net cords are also a good source of points unless your opponent is at the net.
* Bounce the balls as many times as you like until you feel you are ready to hit an ace.
* If you're losing take a medical timeout. Pretend you're half dead and miraculously recover when your opponent stops trying. If you're still losing after that just quit.

I can understand that your posts mainly consist of pointless "sarcasm", but is it really necessary to write that many words if you donīt have anything constructive to say? This thread is obviously about a serious question, not a normal GM Fed-Rafa thread...

Good posts by Bobby and Trixtah, just have fun, donīt overtry, try to play the game you feel comfortable with, donīt try to exceed your abilities, even if your opponent is better than you. If you lose, donīt be too hard on yourself, there will always be another match!

lazyman 10-13-2007 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie (Post 6127389)
I can understand that your posts mainly consist of pointless "sarcasm", but is it really necessary to write that many words if you donīt have anything constructive to say? This thread is obviously about a serious question, not a normal GM Fed-Rafa thread...

Good posts by Bobby and Trixtah, just have fun, donīt overtry, try to play the game you feel comfortable with, donīt try to exceed your abilities, even if your opponent is better than you. If you lose, donīt be too hard on yourself, there will always be another match!

i found it funny