MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Team USA (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Rhyne Williams (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=105659)

Grinder 07-08-2007 10:32 PM

Rhyne Williams

Has anyone here seen Rhyne play? He's only 16 (born on 3-22-1991) and the 10th ranked junior player in the world.

More impressive than that however, is that Rhyne is in the final of USA F16 Futures this week. :eek:

Hope to see Rhyne continue to get solid results on the pro tour.

SHB 07-08-2007 10:45 PM

Re: Rhyne Williams

You beat me by a few minutes. :-)

Williams def. Travis Helgeson 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 to win the title.

To put this in perspective, Donald Young didn't win a Futures title until April of this year (17 years, 9 months). Rhyne Williams is 16 years, 4 months. Of course Williams hasn't had Young's junior success.

There were five highly ranked college players in this draw: Stephen Bass (#10), Travis Helgeson (#11), Luke Shields (#13), Todd Paul (#14), and Greg Ouelette (#21). Williams knocked off Bass and Helgeson (and only lost four games to Bass). He also beat the #3 seed, Jose Statham, ranked #644 in the world, and Marcus Fugate, one of the best U.S. juniors from 1988. The highest ranked player in the draw was Victor Estrella, ranked #431.

I saw some extended highlights of Williams from the Easter Bowl final. He has good size, moves well, and has a potent forehand from what I saw. I didn't see much of his serve, but it's reputed to be pretty good. His backhand looked a tad weak, but not too bad. West Nott, a player/coach/writer, gave a description of Williams after watching him at the Easter Bowl. I'll see if I can find it.

Grinder 07-08-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHB (Post 5649005)
You beat me by a few minutes. :-)

Williams def. Travis Helgeson 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 to win the title.

To put this in perspective, Donald Young didn't win a Futures title until April of this year (17 years, 9 months). Rhyne Williams is 16 years, 4 months. Of course Williams hasn't had Young's junior success.

There were five highly ranked college players in this draw: Stephen Bass (#10), Travis Helgeson (#11), Luke Shields (#13), Todd Paul (#14), and Greg Ouelette (#21). Williams knocked off Bass and Helgeson (and only lost four games to Bass). He also beat the #3 seed, Jose Statham, ranked #644 in the world, and Marcus Fugate, one of the best U.S. juniors from 1988. The highest ranked player in the draw was Victor Estrella, ranked #431.

I saw some extended highlights of Williams from the Easter Bowl final. He has good size, moves well, and has a potent forehand from what I saw. I didn't see much of his serve, but it's reputed to be pretty good. His backhand looked a tad weak, but not too bad. West Nott, a player/coach/writer, gave a description of Williams after watching him at the Easter Bowl. I'll see if I can find it.

Wow, he won. :eek:

He might be the youngest guy to win a futures title since del Potro a few years ago. Thanks for the description of Rhyne's game. :yeah:

Edit: I stand corrected, del Potro was 16 years and 7½ months when he won his first futures title.

SHB 07-08-2007 11:01 PM

Here's what West Nott had to say about him after the Easter Bowl:

"Rhyne eaked out two big matches deep in the third sets against Lajola and Sundling. I don't know what the future holds for Rhyne, but his game is big. He can definitely hit a winner from any part of the court, especially off the forehand side. His mind is a little fragile at times, but he is quick to get back on the horse and re-align the tracks. He is one shot away from getting to the next level- my biggest concern is his ability to get the backhand crosscourt with the way he hits it. Don't listen to me though because it seems to be working fine with an Easter Bowl title and a finals appearance at Carson. :)

Rhyne is a legimate contender for the Nats at the Zoo and like I said, one shot away from maybe contending for a Junior Grand Slam Title."

Here's a picture:

Deboogle!. 07-09-2007 01:58 AM

Cool! Good luck to him! Thanks as always for the great info SHB :)

Chaos Inc. 07-09-2007 10:37 AM

Good luck to Rhyne.

Winning a futures title at a young age bodes well for him.

SHB 07-12-2007 12:32 AM

Williams is competing in another Futures event this week. He defeated the #8 seed, Miles Armstrong, 3-6, 7-6(6), 6-1 in the first round. Armstrong has an ATP ranking of 668.

SHB 07-13-2007 03:52 PM

In the second round he beat Clint Bowles, another one of the top American juniors from 1988. He has Michael Yani today. I think his run will stop here.

SHB 07-13-2007 04:36 PM

I got this from ZooTennis:

The "youngest" superlative is always going to raise expecatations, and thanks to Tim Curry of the USTA and Steve G, of stevegtennis.com, I was able to determine that Williams is the youngest U.S. male to win a Pro Circuit event in the United States. (The records of the circuit date back to 1998). Mario Ancic of Croatia was the youngest male ever when he won an event in Croatia at age 15.

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/

SHB 07-13-2007 10:12 PM

Yani beat him 6-4, 6-4 in the QFs. Still an impressive showing for Williams.

Deboogle!. 07-13-2007 10:25 PM

He's very very young and is having some nice results, that's all that matters at this point. Hopefully it continues and he keeps it up! :yeah:

Junkyard Racket 07-25-2008 11:26 AM

In Lexington, Rhyne got his first Challenger-level win this week, beating Harel Levy 5-2 ret.

SHB 09-06-2008 04:49 AM

Williams advanced to the QFs at the Junior U.S. Open where he lost to #1 junior Tsung-Hua Yang 3-6, 7-6, 3-6. He blew a 3-1 third set lead. Nevertheless, it was a good showing for him that will hopefully propel him to play at a higher level than he has thus far. Yang called him "a new star for America" after the match.

Chip_s_m 09-06-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHB (Post 7604050)
Williams advanced to the QFs at the Junior U.S. Open where he lost to #1 junior Tsung-Hua Yang 3-6, 7-6, 3-6. He blew a 3-1 third set lead. Nevertheless, it was a good showing for him that will hopefully propel him to play at a higher level than he has thus far. Yang called him "a new star for America" after the match.

Cool I didn't know he said that. Were you at the match? I'm not too surprised with the result, as Yang is very good and has been playing very well (made it to the semifinals of a challenger a couple weeks ago), but it's nice to see Rhyne pressure him, especially since he's struggled a bit this year.

SHB 09-06-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip_s_m (Post 7605751)
Cool I didn't know he said that. Were you at the match? I'm not too surprised with the result, as Yang is very good and has been playing very well (made it to the semifinals of a challenger a couple weeks ago), but it's nice to see Rhyne pressure him, especially since he's struggled a bit this year.

I read it on itftennis.com. Here's the link:

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/new...rticleid=19252

Yeah, Yang has had a ridiculously good year. That's a nice compliment considering that it's coming from the current #1 junior in the world.