MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The French Musketeers (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   French number 1 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=103162)

The Freak 06-01-2007 05:17 PM

French number 1

Who's their best player? After watching Gael today, I say him. Gasquet lacks heart, and Mathieu lacks control of his nerves. Gael has the most potential of anybody on tour, I believe.

delsa 06-01-2007 05:24 PM

Re: French number 1

Gaël has a LOT of potentiel and progress margin for sure.

But they shouldn't be compared like that since they all have some very serious wicknesses and very very different strong points going for them.

Gaël isn't agressive enough overall, which is a shame when one has a FH and a fighting spirit like him. And on some occasions he takes unconsiderate risks hitting brainlessly, and on some others holding his shots back. His volley and movement isn't academical at all but it can be very efficient.

On his part, Paulo thinks too much and as you said is :silly: at times. Like Gaël, he "can't" play on grass.

Richard has a lot of problems dealing with pressure and winning big matches. But saying that he would lack heart is IMHO very unfair and even false. And he can play on all surfaces and technically (in terms of tennis shots) he's the most complete player but being a complete player isn't everything.

JBdV 06-01-2007 05:28 PM

Well let's see how PHM does tomorrow first, if he wins he'll have gone further than the other 2.

The Freak 06-01-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBdV (Post 5453394)
Well let's see how PHM does tomorrow first, if he wins he'll have gone further than the other 2.

You can determine it like that, but Gael had the toughest draw.

delsa 06-01-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentZero (Post 5453421)

What about not determining it? :shrug: :p

*julie* 06-01-2007 05:40 PM

Gael showed good things in this RG. If only he could build confidence and consistancy. I am happy Benhabilés is gonna coach him from now.

And if only he and Paulo could reach the top 20... cos they both have the potential to be there.

JBdV 06-01-2007 06:35 PM

Now I think of it they all have strengths and weaknesses that are somewhat complementary. If all 3 of them could be fused into one player France would have a slam contender :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentZero (Post 5453421)

Maybe true, but Nalby was beatable today. I'm not trying to use that to determine which is one is better, it's just an interesting fact, like who would have thought Benneteau would have been the most successful Frenchie last year??

Truc 06-02-2007 11:55 AM

As for Richard having no heart, the situation was the exact opposite a few weeks ago in Monte-Carlo, so...
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBdV (Post 5453741)
If all 3 of them could be fused into one player France would have a slam contender.

I would love seeing them fused into one team, to begin with.

The Freak 06-02-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truc (Post 5456062)
As for Richard having no heart, the situation was the exact opposite a few weeks ago in Monte-Carlo, so...I would love seeing them fused into one team, to begin with.

Agreed, they all need to be on the France DC team next year.

JBdV 06-02-2007 02:21 PM

Who would play doubles? We can't rely on Gasquet to play potentially 3 rubbers.

Puschkin 06-02-2007 06:20 PM

What a question? :rolleyes: Numbers don't lie. :p Go and have a look: http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/entrysystem/

The Freak 06-02-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBdV (Post 5456942)
Who would play doubles? We can't rely on Gasquet to play potentially 3 rubbers.

Yeah, you're right, take out PHM and put it Clement and Llodra.

The Freak 06-02-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puschkin (Post 5459015)
What a question? :rolleyes: Numbers don't lie. :p Go and have a look: http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/entrysystem/

Yeah, so you think all those players ahead of Gael are better than him? The way Gael has played lately is top 20 material.

Puschkin 06-02-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentZero (Post 5459063)
Yeah, so you think all those players ahead of Gael are better than him? The way Gael has played lately is top 20 material.

But the question was not about Gael being top ten 20 material. :p

The Freak 06-02-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puschkin (Post 5459121)
But the question was not about Gael being top ten 20 material. :p

What I meant by the question was, who is the best French player? The rankings don't determine the best players in exact order, do they? For example, is Andreev really the 125th best player in the world right now?