Mens Tennis Forums banner

"Zdravo! Kako si?" aka The "let's all learn Serbian" Thread :bounce:

11K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  kirkicica 
#1 ·
"Zdravo! Kako si?" aka The "let's all learn Serbian" Thread :bounce:

Ok :D So this is the thread where our Serbian sisters will teach us non-Serbian sisters handful Serbian words and phrases, so that we're fully prepared to cheer on Viktor at a tournament and have a nice little chat with him afterwords :lol: Or if you're just curious about what Viktor might have said after a point, this is the place to ask ;) And, ladies, please behave and keep the public-forum-inappropriate stuff (swear words and what not) for PM's :angel:

I'll go first and write some basic introduction/hello stuff I've recently learned :dance:

Zdravo = Hello/Goodbye (informal)
Kako si = How are you? (informal)
Drago mi je = Pleased to meet you :D
Dobro jutro = Good morning
Dobar dan = Good day
Dobro veče = Good evening
Laku noć = Good night
Hvala = Thanks
Hvala lepo = Thank you very much

:wavey: please don't let my thread die :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: "Zdravo! Kako si?" aka The "let's all learn Serbian" Thread :bounce:

some more useful ones :angel:

Pants - pantalone
gaće - underpants (if someone feels the need to know)

shut up Ilija - umukni Ilija (this is for Jess when Bozoljac refuses to shut up while she is watching the match) insert any any other name instead of Ilija when needed.

I'll add more later.

#3 ·

some more useful ones :angel:

Pants - pantalone
gaće - underpants (if someone feels the need to know)

shut up Ilija - umukni Ilija (this is for Jess when Bozoljac refuses to shut up while she is watching the match) insert any any other name instead of Ilija when needed.

I'll add more later.
Incredibly useful! :worship:

#19 ·

Zovem se Nina! Ja sam Amerikanka. (correct?) Želela bih da pričam srpski. :sobbing:

Imam mačka! Zove se Coconut.

Ajde Pantalone! :rocker2:

Er. That's just about all I can say :help: :rolls:
Moje ime je Nadia. Ja sam Ruskinja, živim u Moskvi

Želim doći u Srbiju i Crnu Goru :p
I ja bih :hearts: (Is that correct :unsure: )
:eek: :D :worship:

Girls, you're great! :hug:

#17 · (Edited)

Govedo - Jerk

And I think Bulja - Ass.

(I have serbian friends. :lol: :p)

You never know when this might be useful, if you happen to be at a tournament and a serbian guy pushes in front of you when you're watching a Viktor match.. Just shout it at the Serbian guy and run.... :spit:

Thats all I know... Sorry. :hug: I think I want to learn some regular Serbian for once. :awww:

#22 ·

Thanks Jelena. :hug: serbianschool.com :yeah:

How would you say:

"My favorite tennis player is _____."

Just out of curiosity. :)
I used to use serbianschool.com too :worship: but it was a few years ago and I don't remember much :sad:

#28 ·

Okay...

How do you say "Definitely" or "of course" or something along those lines? And "I don't care"? :D
definitely - definitivno
of course - naravno
I don't care - well thats a tricky one. We have many ways to say it. depends on the occation.
simple and kinda polite - ne zanima me.
also simple and less polite - baš me briga!
common and not polite at all - zabole me!

#37 ·

yes = da
no = ne
go away = "idi odavde" or simply "gubi se" (not polite! :lol: )
:rolls: the funny thing is that I usually know 17695147 ways to say stuff impolitely but struggle to find the polite one :eek:

gubi se, nestani, nosi se, odlazi, udalji se itd. mostli not polite ways to say go away.

I did too. I thought Serbian was pretty "you see a letter, you say a sound", whereby each letter basically had just one sound. So then both o's would be "oh". But maybe Serbian's not as easy as that :shrug:
you were right, it is easy as that.

o is always oh. except that our pronounciation of vocals is a bit longer than in 'pot' for example.

#34 ·

Pronunciation questions...

Troicki = troy-it-ski? In Serbian isn't a "c" pronounced "ts"?

And "Djokovic"...I have heard so many different pronunciations lately I don't know which one to believe. Dj-oh-ko-vitch, dj-ah-ko-vitch, dj-oh-ka-vitch? :confused:

#35 ·

Pronunciation questions...

Troicki = troy-it-ski? In Serbian isn't a "c" pronounced "ts"?

And "Djokovic"...I have heard so many different pronunciations lately I don't know which one to believe. Dj-oh-ko-vitch, dj-ah-ko-vitch, dj-oh-ka-vitch? :confused:
As far as I know, yes to Viktor's name ;)

Novak's name is always a mystery to me :rolls: but I always thought it was the first :shrug:

#36 ·

I did too. I thought Serbian was pretty "you see a letter, you say a sound", whereby each letter basically had just one sound. So then both o's would be "oh". But maybe Serbian's not as easy as that :shrug:

#40 ·

Hvala lepo[\b] = Thank you very much

:wavey: please don't let my thread die :eek:

My serbian friends taught me to say hvala puno, besause 'hvala lepo' - croatian variant :confused:
ja te volim - i love you :rolleyes:
Äîáðî äîøëè ó Ñðáèjó (Dobro došli u Srbiju)' Welcome to Serbia

#41 ·

My serbian friends taught me to say hvala puno, besause 'hvala lepo' - croatian variant :confused:
ja te volim - i love you :rolleyes:
Äîáðî äîøëè ó Ñðáèjó (Dobro došli u Srbiju)' Welcome to Serbia
It's not only their variant, we also say it that way...I even use superlative of lepo -> Hvala najlepše :lol:

#43 ·

:rolls: Confusion abounds! To prove this, I almost wrote :confusion: instead of : rolls : :haha: :haha: Now that would be a funny smiley. :p

Anyway, I think an audio file would be the best thing. Does anyone know of an audio file or video clip of someone saying it the right way?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.