Mens Tennis Forums banner

Underated Albums!

1K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Aphex 
#1 ·
so what albums do you personaly think deserve alot more credit, i'll start out with these albums that i think are immoraly underatted :)

Tears for fears- the hurting
The flaming lips- soft bulletin
Broadcast- haha sound
Spiritualized- ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Spacemen 3- the perfect prescription
Elliot Smith- XO
Elliot Smith- either/or
Patti Smith- horses
Chisel- set you free
Oneida- secret wars
Orbital- snivilisation
The Rapture- echoes
The Walkmen- bows and arrows
The Walkmen- everyone who pretended to like me is gone
Sigur Ros- ageatis byrjun
A-ha- hunting high and low
Sondre Lerche- faces down
The Shins- oh, inverted world
Ride- nowhere
The Pixies- surfer rosa
The Pixies- come on pilgrim
Sonic Youth- evol
Bernard Butler- people move on
The Cure- kiss me, kiss me, kiss me
Neutral Milk Hotel- in the aeroplane over the sea
Joy Division- unknown pleasures
Adam Green- friends of mine
Adam Green- garfield
U2- war
Pulp- seperations
Pulp- masters of the universe
Pulp- goes to the disco
Pulp- this is hardcore
Pulp- his n' hers
Pulp- it
Pulp- we love life
Pulp- different class
Television Personalities- yes darling, but is it art?
Oasis- definatly Maybe
Oasis- standing on the shoulder of giants
Metric- old world undeground where are you now?
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists- hearts of oak
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists- the tyranny of distance
Bjork- gling glo
Liz Phair- exile in guyville
Dexy's Midnight Runners- dont stand me down
Jesus and Mary Chain- 21 singles
Primal Scream- screamadilica
Happy Mondays- pills thrills and bellyaches
Happy Mondays- bummed
Saint Etienne- so tough
Black Grape- its great when your straight
The Charlatans- songs from the other side
My Bloody Valentine- loveless
Damien Rice- O
Modest Mouse- this is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about
Modest Mouse- the moon and anartica
Air- moon safari
Sundays- reading, writing and arithmatic
Ed Harcourt- maplewood
Ed Harcourt- from every sphere
Kent- isola
REM- murmur
Blur- modern life is rubbish
The Jam- setting sons
The Jam- this is the modern world
The Jam- compact snap
Nick Drake- pink moon
Yo La Tengo- and then nothing turned itself inside out
Yo La Tengo- i can feel the heart beating as one
Yo La Tengo- fakebook
The Decembrists- castaways and cutouts
Ballboy- club anthems
Mogwai- come on, die young
Deerhoof- holdy paws
Roxy Music- avalon
Slowdive- souvlaki
Kula Shaker- peasants, pigs and astronauts
The High Llamas- beet, maize and corn
Belle and Sebastian- if your feeling sinister
Belle and Sebastian- tigermilk
Belle and Sebastian- boy with the arab strap
Belle and Sebatian- dear catastrophe waitress
Sufjan Stevens- greetings from michigan: the great lakes state
Enon- hocus pocus
Enon- high society
TV on the Radio- young liars
Earlimart- everyone down here
Grandaddy- sumday
Hefner- the fidelity wars
Hope Sandoval- bavarian fruit bread
The Delgados- hate
Dead Kennedys- fresh fruit for rotting vegetables
Slint- tweez
Tortoise- millions now living will never die
Interpol- turn on the bright lights (could never get enough credit)
Elvis Costello- when i was cruel
Pretty Girls Make Graves- good health
New Order- techique
Gorkys zygotic mynci- spanish dance troupe
The sea and cake- the sea and cake
Oranje juice- you cant hide your love forever
Inspiral carpets- devil hopping
The Smiths- louder than bombs
Depeche Mode- some great reward
The Auteurs- new wave
The Sounds- living in america
Nik Freitas- heres laughing at you
Arab Strap- mad for sadness
Arab Strap- elephant shoe
Mum- finally we are no one
Mum- yesterday was dramatic, today is ok
Bahaus- in the flat field
XTC- upsy daisy assortment
Elefant- sunlight makes me paranoid

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
WOW!!! I can`t say I like everything on that list. I`m not a big fan of Pulp and Oasis is one of the very few bands in the world that I actively HATE!!! I believe they have set British music back 10 years. Nor am I a big fan of the Jam or U2. Much too ernest for me. I also much prefer the Blur of the last 3 CDs to their Britpop era stuff. HOWEVER!!!

There is much to love amongst those records listed. The TVPs, JAMC, MBV, Gorkys, Dexys, The Pixies, The Delgados and Broadcast all have made some wonderful music. Patti Smith`s first record is inspiring, Nick Drake is simple gentle and lovely. I haven`t heard the Adam Green CDs but I love the Moldy Peaches so I would be interested to know more about them. Nor am I familiar with the Hope Sandoval CD but the 3 Mazzy Star CDs are very special. And Finally, Yo La Tengo are in my opinion just about the best band in the world. No group has a greater appreciation of what makes for great music. You hear their passion, enthusiasm, wit, intelligence and warmth in everything they do. They are also amongst the nicest most down to earth unpretentious people in music.

Overall a great and varied list. Thanks andylover.

When I have some time maybe I`ll list 50 or 100 of my favorite CDs (and a good half dozen or so will be amongst those on your list.) But it`s so tough to narrow it down to even 100. There must be 500+ CDs that I would hate to be without.

Reactions: Catsou
#3 ·
Chris Seahorse said:
WOW!!! I can`t say I like everything on that list. I`m not a big fan of Pulp and Oasis is one of the very few bands in the world that I actively HATE!!! I believe they have set British music back 10 years. Nor am I a big fan of the Jam or U2. Much too ernest for me. I also much prefer the Blur of the last 3 CDs to their Britpop era stuff. HOWEVER!!!

There is much to love amongst those records listed. The TVPs, JAMC, MBV, Gorkys, Dexys, The Pixies, The Delgados and Broadcast all have made some wonderful music. Patti Smith`s first record is inspiring, Nick Drake is simple gentle and lovely. I haven`t heard the Adam Green CDs but I love the Moldy Peaches so I would be interested to know more about them. Nor am I familiar with the Hope Sandoval CD but the 3 Mazzy Star CDs are very special. And Finally, Yo Lo Tengo are in my opinion just about the best band in the world. No group has a greater appreciation of what makes for great music. You hear their passion, enthusiasm, wit, intelligence and warmth in everything they do. They are also amongst the nicest most down to earth unpretentious people in music.

Overall a great and varied list. Thanks andylover.

When I have some time maybe I`ll list 50 or 100 of my favorite CDs (and a good half dozen or so will be amongst those on your list.) But it`s so tough to narrow it down to even 100. There must be 500+ CDs that I would hate to be without.
wow, you know great music for sure! and i agree Yo La Tengo are amazing! i should be naming more underatted albums soon..but if i named my favorite albums i could go on i mean there are loads..i guess i should make a thread about that one too:)..but one thing to say..you CANT dislike Pulp, they are geniuses, "masters of the universe" of brit-pop..cmon they are like one of the best bands to exist..and one of my personaly favorites :) ..im interested to hear some of your favorite/underated albums though!

#4 ·
Well, it's hard to say what is underrated because how do you measure public/critical opinion with any precision?

I think Nick Drake and Laura Nyro are underappreciated and not well known these days.

The Pixies Doolittle is an awesome album.

Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville is famous among some circles, but I think that album was brilliant and provocative enough that she should have received greater recognition. To a lesser extent this is true of her later albums as well.

Most of the Beatles' albums get the recognition they deserve. Maybe Hard Day's Night doesn't get as much attention these days as the later albums, but I think the songwriting is amazing. Another one that has some gems is Beatles for Sale (1964).

One of the greatest jazz albums I have heard is An Evening with Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea, recorded live in 1978.

#5 ·
andylover_16 said:
wow, you know great music for sure! and i agree Yo La Tengo are amazing! i should be naming more underatted albums soon..but if i named my favorite albums i could go on i mean there are loads..i guess i should make a thread about that one too:)..but one thing to say..you CANT dislike Pulp, they are geniuses, "masters of the universe" of brit-pop..cmon they are like one of the best bands to exist..and one of my personaly favorites :) ..im interested to hear some of your favorite/underated albums though!
Andylover I totally agree with you! You CAN'T dislike Pulp :lol: I absolutly love them :D

I love all the Joy Division and old New Order album :worship: for me they are all underatted cause they are amazing..even after 25 years Joy Division's stuff sound soooooooo uptodate!

#6 ·
Chris Seahorse said:
I also much prefer the Blur of the last 3 CDs to their Britpop era stuff. HOWEVER!!!

the 3 Mazzy Star CDs are very special. And Finally, Yo La Tengo are in my opinion just about the best band in the world. No group has a greater appreciation of what makes for great music. You hear their passion, enthusiasm, wit, intelligence and warmth in everything they do. They are also amongst the nicest most down to earth unpretentious people in music.
I agree with you I prefer the late stuff from Blur. I also love Mazzy Star. Have you ever hear the duo Hope Sandoval did with Jesus and Mary Chain's singer ? It's great :worship:

Shame on me I don't know Yo La Tengo but I'll make sure to listen to it very soon thx for the infos :cool:

#7 ·
Catsou said:
Andylover I totally agree with you! You CAN'T dislike Pulp :lol: I absolutly love them :D

I love all the Joy Division and old New Order album :worship: for me they are all underatted cause they are amazing..even after 25 years Joy Division's stuff sound soooooooo uptodate!
i could not agree with you more! Joy Division are amazing even though i like New Order more :) I really think the whole post-punk new wave genra is completaly underapreciated here in the states!

#8 ·
MisterQ said:
Well, it's hard to say what is underrated because how do you measure public/critical opinion with any precision?

I think Nick Drake and Laura Nyro are underappreciated and not well known these days.

The Pixies Doolittle is an awesome album.

Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville is famous among some circles, but I think that album was brilliant and provocative enough that she should have received greater recognition. To a lesser extent this is true of her later albums as well.

Most of the Beatles' albums get the recognition they deserve. Maybe Hard Day's Night doesn't get as much attention these days as the later albums, but I think the songwriting is amazing. Another one that has some gems is Beatles for Sale (1964).

One of the greatest jazz albums I have heard is An Evening with Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea, recorded live in 1978.
I agree, but i just love the beatles so much and it doesnt seem like that album is well known, oh well. Ive never heard that Jazz album you mentioned before though, maybe i should check it out even though im not a huge fan of the genra :) and yes the pixies- doolittle is a GREAT album! i dont really enjoy alot of Liz's newer material but this album is different i liked it more some reason

#9 ·
Madonna - Erotica. That disgusting "Sex" book hurt the album a lot.

#11 ·
Don't you like Ray of Light? It's from 1998. ROL and Like a prayer are her best albums.

#12 ·
"exile in guyville" was really well-recieved but her new songs are shit

#13 ·
Ads said:
"exile in guyville" was really well-recieved but her new songs are shit
i agree, but i'd much rather prefer to here her newer songs on the radio then some of the mainstream shit that comes on over and over like 3doors down and Dave Mathews Band. Her music isnt astounding or anything but i think that particular cd is pretty impressive :)

#15 ·
To be fair, I haven't heard her entire new album, but from the 4 or 5 songs I have heard it seems like Liz Phair is trying too hard to be cutting-edge. I suppose I admire her audacity in trying something new, but she's in her thirties and has a kid and her life has evolved. I would love to see her take more of the confessional singer-songwriter approach than the provocative pop icon route. She will still have an edge to her just because she's always so honest and coy about sexuality and other matters. But tone down the production values a bit and try not to sound anything like Christina Aguilera! ;) She's still a very talented songwriter and I would like her to display that.

I enjoyed the raciness of Exile in Guyville, but I liked it just as much for the candor, cleverness, and sensitivity she displayed.

#16 ·
Fleetwood Mac.....Tango in the night......

I listened to both sides till the writing on cassette wore off when I had it in the 80's, I have met people with massive music collections and been surprised they haven't got it.

I have lot of greatest hits albumns like madonna, U2, Duran Duran as i still always have that fear with new albumns that 4 or 5 songs I wont like or listen to. Coldplay I would always trust to be good.

#17 · (Edited)
AndyloverI have to agree- Ride's nowhere is an excellent album. (It will always have a soft spot in my heart as I had my first (albiet awkward) make-out session with my first boyfriend to it.)

By the way- have you ever been able to see Sigur Ros in concert? They are just wonderful- such beautiful music that still translates well in a concert setting.

To add to the Flaming Lips idea- I would like to add In a Priest Driven Ambulance - it is an early one of thiers and quite different than some of thier more recent stuff.

I love The Stone Roses The Stone Roses. Just a fantastic album all the way through. (And perfect for sunny days!)

My fiance and I are huge fans of Gomez and if you ever can, catch them in concert- they are a blast and seem to have such a good time playing the music. Two of their albums In Our Gun and Bring it On are particulary wonderful. They seem underated here in the US but they seem get a good amount of press in the UK so maybe these two are county specific underated ablums! :)

We went to see a number of shows at South By Soutwest (SXSW) this year and the local and national press were talking up a number of bands but no one mentioned The Walkmen - who were just fantastic. I highly recommend their album Bows and Arrows.

An old jazz album tthat a couple of my generations in my family adore is Ahmad Jamal's If Not for Me- really some great jazz piano work.

Finally, I've noticed that when I play the soundtrack to About A Boy (done by Badly Drawn Boy) in my office at work a number of people inquire about who it is and comment that they like it. Now there are about three or so offices from which you can occasionally hear the album. But that album never really got a lot of press- I guess because it is a soundrack?

#20 ·
Clara Bow said:
AndyloverI have to agree- Ride's nowhere is an excellent album. (It will always have a soft spot in my heart as I had my first (albiet awkward) make-out session with my first boyfriend to it.)

By the way- have you ever been able to see Sigur Ros in concert? They are just wonderful- such beautiful music that still translates well in a concert setting.

To add to the Flaming Lips idea- I would like to add In a Priest Driven Ambulance - it is an early one of thiers and quite different than some of thier more recent stuff.

I love The Stone Roses The Stone Roses. Just a fantastic album all the way through. (And perfect for sunny days!)

My fiance and I are huge fans of Gomez and if you ever can, catch them in concert- they are a blast and seem to have such a good time playing the music. Two of their albums In Our Gun and Bring it On are particulary wonderful. They seem underated here in the US but they seem get a good amount of press in the UK so maybe these two are county specific underated ablums! :)

We went to see a number of shows at South By Soutwest (SXSW) this year and the local and national press were talking up a number of bands but no one mentioned The Walkmen - who were just fantastic. I highly recommend their album Bows and Arrows.

An old jazz album tthat a couple of my generations in my family adore is Ahmad Jamal's If Not for Me- really some great jazz piano work.

Finally, I've noticed that when I play the soundtrack to About A Boy (done by Badly Drawn Boy) in my office at work a number of people inquire about who it is and comment that they like it. Now there are about three or so offices from which you can occasionally hear the album. But that album never really got a lot of press- I guess because it is a soundrack?
I am impressed! You have exceptional taste,

Im going to see Gomez this summer at Lollapalooza, i've been wanting to purchase bring it on for a long time now. Badly Drawn Boy are amazing. I first found out about them from the actual movie about a boy and then almost immediately purchased Hour of the Bewilderbeast and what a great album it is, but have you fed the fish perhaps is even better. Would anyone believe me if i said that about a year and a half from now I barely knew who Coldplay were. Lots of things have changed for me since then of course in the best of ways :)

#23 ·
Conan the Librarian said:
All Conan knows is that after the relative success(public and critical) of Bring it On, they could not reproduce that success and have barely made an impact on the charts since.

And Badly Drawn Boy is not a they, it is a he. Damon Gough to be exact.
i knew that :) just a typo, more than one typo actually

#25 ·
The Stone Roses :bigclap:
New Order/ Joy Division :banana:
If somesone says Kraftwerk and David Sylvian solo I truly recognize I'm among friends. :wavey:

The Stone Roses- Second Coming; there's a criminally underrated album for you, sure is very different from their first one, maybe slightly bad production, but it still :rocker:

Electronic's first two albums a pretty good as well. :yeah:

#26 ·
Aphex said:
The Stone Roses :bigclap:
New Order/ Joy Division :banana:
If somesone says Kraftwerk and David Sylvian solo I truly recognize I'm among friends. :wavey:

The Stone Roses- Second Coming; there's a criminally underrated album for you, sure is very different from their first one, maybe slightly bad production, but it still :rocker:

Electronic's first two albums a pretty good as well. :yeah:
I love Kraftwerk, i almost got a shirt that said "Kraftwerk" with these really psychedelic stripes across it. They are great! I personally like Computer World, although i dont own any albums, but im most familiar with the songs of this cd since i have most of them downloaded :) You have good taste in music Aphex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.