Mens Tennis Forums banner

Olympics Information Thread?

8K views 89 replies 46 participants last post by  dencod16 
#1 · (Edited)
(*) ITF Place

Men's singles entry list
- Argentina: Juan Martin del Potro, Juan Monaco, Carlos Berlocq, David Nalbandian
- Australia: Bernard Tomic, Lleyton Hewitt (*)
- Austria: Jurgen Melzer
- Belgium: Olivier Rochus, David Goffin, Steve Darcis
- Brazil: Thomaz Bellucci (*)
- Bulgaria: Grigor Dimitrov
- Canada: Milos Raonic, Vasek Pospisil (*)
- Chinese Taipei: Lu Yen-Hsun
- Colombia: Santiago Giraldo, Alejandro Falla
- Croatia: Marin Cilic, Ivo Karlovic, Ivan Dodig
- Cyprus: Marcos Baghdatis
- Czech Republic: Tomas Berdych, Radek Stepanek
- Finland: Jarkko Nieminen
- France: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Gilles Simon, Gael Monfils, Richard Gasquet
- Germany: Philipp Kohlschreiber
- Great Britain: Andy Murray
- India: Somdev Devvarman (*)
- Italy: Andreas Seppi, Fabio Fognini
- Japan: Kei Nishikori, Go Soeda, Tatsuma Ito
- Kazakhstan: Mikhail Kukushkin
- Luxembourg: Gilles Muller
- Netherlands: Robin Haase
- Poland: Lukasz Kubot
- Romania: Adrian Ungur (*)
- Russia: Mikhail Youzhny, Alex Bogomolov Jr, Nikolay Davydenko, Dmitry Tursunov
- Serbia: Novak Djokovic, Janko Tipsarevic, Viktor Troicki
- Slovak Republic: Lukas Lacko, Martin Klizan
- Slovenia: Blaz Kavcic (*)
- Spain: Rafael Nadal, David Ferrer, Nicolas Almagro, Fernando Verdasco
- Switzerland: Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka
- Tunisia: Malek Jaziri (*)
- Ukraine: Sergiy Stakhovsky (*)
- USA: John Isner, Andy Roddick, Donald Young, Ryan Harrison
- Uzbekistan: Denis Istomin
Men's doubles entry list
- Argentina: David Nalbandian/Eduardo Schwank (*)
- Austria: Jurgen Melzer/Alexander Peya
- Belarus: Alexander Bury/Max Mirnyi
- Brazil: Marcelo Melo/Bruno Soares, Thomaz Bellucci/Andre Sa (*)
- Canada: Daniel Nestor/Vasek Pospisil
- Colombia: Juan Sebastian Cabal/Santiago Giraldo (*)
- Croatia: Marin Cilic/Ivan Dodig
- Czech Republic: Tomas Berdych/Radek Stepanek
- France: Michael Llodra/Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Julien Benneteau/Richard Gasquet
- Germany: Christopher Kas/Philipp Petzschner
- Great Britain: Andy Murray/Jamie Murray, Colin Fleming/Ross Hutchins
- India: Leander Paes/Vishnu Vardhan, Mahesh Bhupathi/Rohan Bopanna
- Israel: Jonathan Erlich/Andy Ram (*)
- Italy: Daniele Bracciali/Andreas Seppi
- Japan: Kei Nishikori/Go Soeda (*)
- Netherlands: Robin Haase/Jean-Julien Rojer
- Poland: Mariusz Fyrstenberg/Marcin Matkowski
- Romania: Horia Tecau/Adrian Ungur (*)
- Russia: Nikolay Davydenko/Mikhail Youzhny (*)
- Serbia: Janko Tipsarevic/Nenad Zimonjic, Novak Djokovic/Victor Troicki
- Slovak Republic: Martin Klizan/Lukas Lacko (*)
- Spain: Marcel Granollers/Rafael Nadal, David Ferrer/Feliciano Lopez
- Sweden: Johan Brunstrom/Robert Lindstedt
- Switzerland: Roger Federer/Stanislas Wawrinka
- USA: Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan, John Isner/Andy Roddick
http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/...nounces-entries-for-olympic-tennis-event.aspx

#5 ·
Anyone knows? It will be replaced? Will it be regrown? What's the process of returning to "day one" grass?

What's the standard procedure in Wimby? Is the grass grown or implanted almost mature to the courts? Will they do it differently this time?

#41 ·
Re: What's gonna happen with the grass from Sunday evening 'till the Olympics?

I believe they grow the grass, and will attempt to regrow before the Olympics. Will be interesting to see if they succeed.
I thought that they had tested this by doing trying their techniques after the Nadal/Djokovic final last year and ultimately ended up concluding that they were successful in being able to get the courts back up to standard.

#9 ·

It'll be done slightly differently to normal.

From what I can tell the main difference is that they'll be using pre-germinated grass to re-sow the courts (grass that's already started growing) though the actual kind of grass will be the same as it is for the championships this year.

The other differences are simply the timescale; normally they soak the court and leave it for a week to start recovering, then take the top off the court, aerate the grass, resow the courts etc, but they have to condense all the processes.

They aren't too worried about getting full grass coverage back onto the showcourts, but the practice courts will pretty much be in the same condition they are in now since players will start using them about a week after Wimby ends which isn't enough time to do a tune up on those too.

My best guess is that they'll do a condensed process to treat the grass for the Olympics, and then give everything a bit more time than normal after that to have it in top condition for next year too.

#10 ·

One thing is for sure, if the organizers manage to get the grass up to the same standard it was when Wimbledon started in time to the Olympic first round, it it certainly going to be much better come the Olympic final than it is now.

#11 ·

They will plant pre-germinated seed into the parts of the court that need it. They've been experimenting with this technique for at least 2 years, and had to prove it's efficacy. The only thing that could have hurt them was the Championships not finishing on time. That's no longer an issue.

Pre-germinated seeds are basically grass seeds that already have 4 days or so growth. They need that to be done because they only have 20 days between the tournaments and grass normally takes a bit longer to grow properly and then cut to proper playing height.

Here's one of the many articles regarding this.

Respectfully,
masterclass

#13 · (Edited)
So I've been searching for info about the Olympics tennis tournament and it's quite hard to find. Had to use about 4 different websites to find some of the info I was looking for but I'm still missing some bits of info. What I know:
Scoring:
1st place 750 Pts
2nd place 450 Pts
3rd place 340 Pts

Matches to be played between Saturday 28 July and Sunday 5 August

Matches will be played as best-of-3 with no TB in the 3rd till the final which will be played as best-of-5 with no TB in the 5th.

Schedules to be announced daily(?!?). Games start at 11:30AM London time every day till the SF.

What I don't know:

1. When will the draw take place?

2. Will it be the same draw format as ATP events?

3. Who governs this event? ITF? ATP? Olympic committee?

4. Will they use the same balls as Wimbledon?

Add your Qs if you'd like.

BTW I just found out I can edit my thread title if I double click right next to it in the forum main page. Sweet ;)

#14 ·
Re: Olympics Information?

1. 26 July
2. Eh.. There will be 64 players. 6 matches to win. All matches BO3 exept finals
3. ITF and Olympics commitee
4. NO

Reactions: Mercury
#15 ·

2. Eh.. There will be 64 players. 6 matches to win. All matches BO3 exept finals
I think he may have meant how the seeds are placed, how many seeds, etc.

I assume it's still 16 seeds, 1 on top, 2 on bottom, 3-4 random, 5-8 random, but I'm not sure of 9-16

#32 ·

Interesting that there's not TB in 3rd until the final. Kind of a mix between a GS and a Masters. Definitely making it more special and I didn't know about this before reading the thread. Good stuff :yeah:.
of course there's TB a tie-break in the 3rd of a final because its best of 5 sets.

#18 ·

Have all 64 entries been decided? If so, any idea who the 'left field' entries from a couple of smaller nations? I remember Federer played someone from El Salvador in R1 or R2 of the Olympics last time out.

#21 ·

Have all 64 entries been decided? If so, any idea who the 'left field' entries from a couple of smaller nations? I remember Federer played someone from El Salvador in R1 or R2 of the Olympics last time out.
there are no triparte WC entries this time like last time, so no random El Salvadorian contestant.

I think the lowest ranked WC was Hewitt, others were V. Pospisil, Ungur, Kavcic, Stakhovsky, Devvarman, Jaziri, and 1 more I can't remember the name of

#20 ·

What balls are they using?
If they use lighter balls than Wimbledon, be prepared for some aces ;)
I hear the entire Spanish team have threatened to boycott the Games unless they use tennis balls encased in lead.

#23 ·

Does somebody know something about schedule ? Will be like at Wimbledone on two main court just 3 matches per day ? Would be great because in BO3 matches grass would be in much better condition for semis and finals than it is in Wimbledon case

#25 ·

Does somebody know something about schedule ? Will be like at Wimbledone on two main court just 3 matches per day ? Would be great because in BO3 matches grass would be in much better condition for semis and finals than it is in Wimbledon case
I dont know about it for sure, but since it is Bo3, my guess is they play more matches on Centre Court than on Slam.Maybe 4 normally, could be even 5 if there is lot of rain problems. Otherwise it would be kinda empty court half of time, if there is 3 2-set matches per day. I read somehere that they use less courts in Olympics than on slam, it is logical because there are less matches and less players. But I expect every court to be used full time like on regular Wimbledon.

I expect lot of beatdowns especially in first rounds, because field is weaker than on Masters( only 4 players from each country is allowed to play, which leaves out lot of decent players) and there are no byes here. But of course we have same problem than on slams : WTA wants their players on main courts also, so probably half of matches on Centre and Court 1 are women matches.

I find this timetable, which is curious though

http://www.london2012.com/tennis/event/men-singles/timetable/index.html

Normal that first round is 2 days, but they say, 2nd round is 30 July-1.Aug and then they say : 3rd round is 1. Aug also ?! If this is not misprint, do they plan to play part of 2nd round and whole 3rd round in one day ?

As for grass, it should be anyway in better condition than on slam 2nd week, Olympics is one week tourney .

#27 ·

Will points won be used in the race as well as the world rankings?
yes, points count like any other points earned in an other ATP event.
they will drop next year like a normal event but it will be impossible to defend it

#31 ·

WHY ON EARTH DID GULBIS NOT GET A WILDCARD?????????????????????

Im losing my faith in tennis
just two ATP ranks better he would have got it : that's how Stakhovsky got it contrary to him. It's very clear that the ITF gave 4 invitations based on the rankings (Bellucci, Ungur, Kavcic, Stakhovsky)

... but maybe with the withdrawals Gulbis can go there : in last Olympics there were many withdrawals and as long as they were not too late, the players who replaced them were based on rankings. He's among the very first alternates.

#33 · (Edited)

12 match courts will be used
Schedule from ITF

Day 1
Date: 28 July
Start time: 11:30
Session description
- Men's singles: first round
- Men's doubles: first round
- Women's singles: first round
- Women's doubles: first round

Day 2
Date: 29 July
Session description

Day 3
Date: 30 July
Session description
- Men's singles: second round
- Men's doubles: second round
- Women's singles: second round
- Women's doubles: second round

Day 4
Date: 31 July
Session description
- Men's doubles: quarterfinals
- Women's doubles: quarterfinals

Day 5
Date: 1 August
Session description
- Men's singles: third round
- Women's singles: third round
- Mixed doubles: first round

Day 6
Date: 2 August
Session description
- Men's singles: quarterfinals
- Men's doubles: semifinals
- Women's singles: quarterfinals
- Women's doubles: semifinals
- Mixed doubles: quarterfinals

Day 7
Date: 3 August
Start time: 12:00
Session description
- Men's singles: semifinals
- Women's singles: semifinals
- Mixed doubles: semifinals

Day 8
Date: 4 August
Session description
- Men's doubles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Women's singles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Mixed doubles: bronze medal match

Day 9
Date: 5 August
Session description
- Men's singles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Women's doubles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Mixed doubles: gold medal medal match, and victory ceremony

#77 ·
Yeah, I was talking about the schedule, not the order of play for the day. I found a post with all the schedules for all events so I think it's good if I bump for other lost souls such as myself.

12 match courts will be used
Schedule from ITF

Day 1
Date: 28 July
Session description

Day 2
Date: 29 July
Session description

Day 3
Date: 30 July
Session description
- Men's doubles: second round
- Women's doubles: second round

Day 4
Date: 31 July
Session description
- Men's doubles: quarterfinals
- Women's doubles: quarterfinals

Day 5
Date: 1 August
Session description
- Men's singles: third round
- Women's singles: third round
- Mixed doubles: first round

Day 6
Date: 2 August
Session description
- Men's singles: quarterfinals
- Men's doubles: semifinals
- Women's singles: quarterfinals
- Women's doubles: semifinals
- Mixed doubles: quarterfinals

Day 7
Date: 3 August
Session description
- Men's singles: semifinals
- Women's singles: semifinals
- Mixed doubles: semifinals

Day 8
Date: 4 August
Session description
- Men's doubles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Women's singles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Mixed doubles: bronze medal match

Day 9
Date: 5 August
Session description
- Men's singles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Women's doubles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony
- Mixed doubles: gold medal medal match, and victory ceremony

#39 ·
#43 ·

[rafa hater mode]

This means Nadull doesn't have a hope. He will have to play the final on grass, not clay, for a change. And as we all know, he sucks hard on grass.

[/rafa hater mode]
Actually that is something interesting to bring up. The grass is going to have loads of less wear and tear considering the men's draw is half the size and it is all best of 3. But then again, Queens/Halle look pretty worn down by the final anyways.

#44 ·
week 1 olympic grass as fast as indoor grass?

Fed will have to be careful if he draws tsonga or berdych in week 1 bc i have a feeling that the court will be playing like indoor grass speed at least meaning like it did against nole and murray when the roof got covered.

This may help fed against a nadal and nole duo though. If nothing else the speed of the court when he plays nadal in a possible semi would be much quicker than in the past.

I dont know the weather in london post wimbledon. If its still raining there's i'd say a 50% chance we get a roof during the semis or final and i believe once it is on and the match is played under the roof the match finishes under the roof.

Lets see how fed does. He just won a slam and its goign to be hard to back it up with another win especially a possibel 5 setter in the final match in the olympic finals if he gets to that point. On the other hand he'll be oozing confidence and the pressure has gone waay done on him. I think this is when he plays the best.

If fed wins olympics no way in hell should he be playing rogers cup

The fact that fed will be no 1 or no 2 till most likely the french ensures that he'll likely get murray in his semis sometime. I feel like it happens at us open. if teh courts are sped up this year fed will be tough i think. fed's focus and confidence are reaching his normal levels. He's winning the close matches and not all of a sudden playing like shankerer or losing focus.

#58 ·
Re: week 1 olympic grass as fast as indoor grass?

Fed will have to be careful if he draws tsonga or berdych in week 1 bc i have a feeling that the court will be playing like indoor grass speed at least meaning like it did against nole and murray when the roof got covered. This may help fed against a nadal and nole duo though. If nothing else the speed of the court when he plays nadal in a possible semi would be much quicker than in the past. .
I keep hearing this -- people are aware that the Olympic tennis is a one week tournament right? It starts on the Sunday/Monday I think and ends the next weekend. There's no "first week" grass. Potentially the first few days will be worse but the courts will only have best of 3 matches anyway rather than best of 5.

Not sure how worn down the grass will actually get by the SFs and Fs.... Also depends on how it's grown in the 3 weeks since Wimbledon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.