Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tournament Questions and Tips for Fans (World Tour Finals info needed)

24K views 275 replies 141 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'd like to go to the US OPEN and I'm looking for people who have ever been there.

Is it easy to see the players practrice ?
Do you know a cheap hotel close to the stadium ?
Is it possible to buy tickets the day of the match ?

Well, any informations would be great.

You can send me a private email if you wish.

Thanks a lot in advance for the persons who would answer me.

Valérie

#3 ·
Re: US OPEN informations requested

Is it easy to see the players practrice ?
It depends where they practice. There are open practice courts that you can just walk up to and watch them practice on. There are also some that are covered, but if you stand at the top of court 4 you can view from up there. Last year caught almost everybody I was looking for practicing at some point or another.

Do you know a cheap hotel close to the stadium ?
The Comfort Inn in Flushing NY is a ten minute walk from the park. I stayed there last year, and it was just fine. Clean, nice staff, located in a safe area. I would recommend it.

If a hotel is too expensive, you should check ou the Flushing YMCA for a room. It's up the street from the comfort in, and cheaper than a proper hotel, but just as secure.

Is it possible to buy tickets the day of the match ?
Sure, but show up early just in case. If you don't love one of the top americans, don't waste your money on nosebleed seats in Ashe. Groundspasses are the way to go.

#6 ·

You're better off buying a ticket to Down Under~ come & see the AUS Open in January; ground-pass tickets (inlclude Vodafone Arena, Margaret Court Arena, Showcourt-1 etc..) only $25 Aus ($16 US). The big stars walk straight past you & minimal security required because it's a peaceful atmosphere^ I've seen V Williams, Moya, Rafter, Nalbandian, Federer walk within a metre or so & they seem happy to practice on the outside courts & sign for fans. Also atmosphere is awesome because lots of European backpackers in January (as Northern Hemisphere winter); the Swedish, Dutch, Spanish, British & of course Aussie fans paint their faces & shirts off singing songs to encourage favourite players. The main stadium is only 15-minutes walk from city's CBD, or you can take tram if you prefer.. Definitely one of the best spectator sports events in the World (but I'm biased@@)! Cheers.

#7 ·

Thanks a lot Rebecca, Timbo, Hurley, and cmonaussie for your comments and tips. Rebecca, I totally agree with you regarding the groundpasses, each year I go to Roland-Garros and each year I buy groundpasses as I'm not a fan of the French players and I can see everyone very close. If I go the US OPEN, I would do the same cause my favourites are not american (even if I have nothing against them). My dream is to go someday at the Aussie Open, but at the moment, it is to expensive for Europeans, I heard that the atmosphere was great etc.. (like Cmon aussie said). I hope someday, I'll be able to go there, but I'd also to visit Australia so...

#8 ·

If you just need grounds passes, you'll have no trouble. But they're very expensive these days...sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy nosebleed Ashe seats, and just never go in!

I remember the days where grounds passes used to be 20 dollars... :sad:

#9 ·

Hurley said:
If you just need grounds passes, you'll have no trouble. But they're very expensive these days...sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy nosebleed Ashe seats, and just never go in!

I remember the days where grounds passes used to be 20 dollars... :sad:
Ground passes in Roland-Garros this year were at 18 Euros !! I'll check on the usopen website.

#10 ·

CmonAussie said:
You're better off buying a ticket to Down Under~ come & see the AUS Open in January; ground-pass tickets (inlclude Vodafone Arena, Margaret Court Arena, Showcourt-1 etc..) only $25 Aus ($16 US).

The big stars walk straight past you & minimal security required because it's a peaceful atmosphere^ I've seen V Williams, Moya, Rafter, Nalbandian, Federer walk within a metre or so & they seem happy to practice on the outside courts & sign for fans.

Also atmosphere is awesome because lots of European backpackers in January (as Northern Hemisphere winter); the Swedish, Dutch, Spanish, British & of course Aussie fans paint their faces & shirts off singing songs to encourage favourite players. The main stadium is only 15-minutes walk from city's CBD, or you can take tram if you prefer.. Definitely one of the best spectator sports events in the World (but I'm biased@@)! Cheers.
That is probably your best ever posts and by the way are you Paul McNamee's son?

#11 ·

GeorgeWHitler said:
That is probably your best ever posts and by the way are you Paul McNamee's son?
:wavey: :)
Thanks George_>> seems like you're agreeing with me more recently; mayble we'll become mates someday :cool: ! See you at AO 05? ;)

BTW~ no I'm not McNamee's son, actually I'm just a simple guy growing up in the suburbs; BUT recently my title became 'Rocky Llegs Propaganda Minister'!! :p

#12 ·
Getting tickets for the US Open on site

Hi,

I will be in NYC in the time of the US Open. I don't know yet when exactly I will have time to go to the tournament, but I really would like to. Probably I will have the opportunity on about 2 days in the first week and on about 3 days in the second, depends on other issues.

Is it possible to get tickets just on the day when you want to go? Or do I have to pay a high price to the touts then?

I hope some forum members have some experience with going to the tournament and could give me some advice. I would be very thankful.

#13 ·
Re: Getting tickets for the US Open on site

soeren said:
Hi,

I will be in NYC in the time of the US Open. I don't know yet when exactly I will have time to go to the tournament, but I really would like to. Probably I will have the opportunity on about 2 days in the first week and on about 3 days in the second, depends on other issues.

Is it possible to get tickets just on the day when you want to go? Or do I have to pay a high price to the touts then?

I hope some forum members have some experience with going to the tournament and could give me some advice. I would be very thankful.
On the very first few days, you can buy them easily on site for $20 (all courts)
There are no touts in the area, btw. Perhaps in the city there are but at Flushing itself there is considerably security and no one seems to approach anyone else with tickets

Also, last minute "special" deals on tickets are not uncommon if there has been weather related rescheduling and empty stadiums are feared. We got tickets for $10 (yes $10!!!!) for the famous capriati-JHH semi final which went beyond midnight

#15 ·

SaFed2005 said:
I was actually wondering around how much the finals tickets would/should cost? I found a few on ebay around a 100 bucks but is that overpaying?
All depends on where the seat is. I would suspect for $100 it is deep in the nosebleeds. Although, I think NY is one of the states where you're not allowed to mark up on the face value of a ticket by more than like 10% on EBay, so you may find some relative bargains. Sellers sometimes get around this by making the tickets part of a "package" that may include hotel and other amenities that then allow them to jack the price up.

#17 ·

SaFed2005 said:
I was actually wondering around how much the finals tickets would/should cost? I found a few on ebay around a 100 bucks but is that overpaying?
I paid $100 for seats in the bleachers for men's semifinals, 2003, 2004 and 2005 (ticket price remained $100 each of those years)
Even the worst seat for the final was no less than $150

BTW-- there is no reason to go through ebay, since they seem to be offering the same price as the official ticket sellers, and the official ticket sellers are bonafide genuine and you won't have to worry

#19 ·

I never understand why people just want to go for the final. :shrug:

Its sooo much better going the first week - and yes, its easy to get grounds passes for those days. You see everyone! Playing, practicing.

I always go from the first Monday to the second Monday, and its the best 8 days of my life. Plus I will go the previous week for qualifying, and definitely the Saturday and Sunday before because you see all the guys practicing - great time to get pictures.

#20 ·

NicoFan said:
I never understand why people just want to go for the final. :shrug:

Its sooo much better going the first week - and yes, its easy to get grounds passes for those days. You see everyone! Playing, practicing.

I always go from the first Monday to the second Monday, and its the best 8 days of my life. Plus I will go the previous week for qualifying, and definitely the Saturday and Sunday before because you see all the guys practicing - great time to get pictures.
No I don't just want to go for the finals.. I have always gone in the early stages but I've never went there for a final before. I live a 20 minutes walk from the stadium... I even go to watch the qualifiers... hey they;re free and there are some good upcoming players there at times... for example murray was there last year...

#21 ·

DO NOT wait to buy tickets on site on the first Monday. If you know you are going, buy them and print them online on Sunday night. The ticket line on Monday last summer was over 2 hours long.

#22 ·
US Open Tickets

So I'm living in NYC for the first time during the US Open so naturally I'm hoping to go for a day. Most likely I would be going to one of the first three days. My question is do I need to buy advance tickets or is it possible to go that morning and get a ground pass?
:confused:

#24 ·
Re: US Open Tickets

Also since you live in NYC, you should consider going the first weekend before actual play starts - AA Kids Day (Saturday) and Practice Day (Sunday). They are free, and you'll get to see the guys all practicing. They are actually my favorite days - well, AA Kids Days is a pain until the kids go into AA in the afternoon :lol: , but once they are in AA, its wonderful watching the guys practice on the outer courts.

#26 ·
Re: US Open Tickets

IDJ49 said:
You can actually start going on Tuesday the 22nd for free to watch the players practice and to watch qualifying matches.
True. :)

And with less people (and subsequently headaches :lol: ) than on Saturday and Sunday.

I think Thursday and Friday would be the best days. Most of the guys will have arrived and are practicing by then. Plus the qualifying matches too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.