Mens Tennis Forums banner

Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi thread

123K views 2K replies 35 participants last post by  ImmzB 
#1 ·
your opinion to pakistani players :)

#3 ·
Re: Aisma Ul Haq Qureshi thread

the grass is his time of year to shine, hopefully he will improve his ability to hit through the court with his groundstrokes. If he did that, while still incorporating serving and volleying on the hard courts, he could definetly be in the top 100.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi's Schedule??

Just wanted to ask u guys do u know what A.U.H.Qureshi's Schedule is for this year or do u know what Events he is playing Challengers and ATP Tournaments!!

If u guys know could u please write.

Thanks Alot!!

#11 ·
Re: Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi's Schedule??

I checked but he's not in the Challengers events with the entry lists for the next 2 weeks.

Do u know why he pulled out of Dubai 2-day??

#15 ·

Qureshi is a great player...hes a great player on Grass...He gave Mario Ancic a Tough 3 Set Match In Holland a couple of years ago, he lost 6-7 7-6 5-7. He's beaten R.Gasquet,Mardy Fish & Padron Schriapan. He was unlucky not to Qualify for the US Open in 2007. But Inshallah he will brake into the top 100. Do u know why he doesnt Play on Clay??...it may not suit his game but he should give it a go.
A.Khan i havent watched him alot...but ive heard his Interviews on some Pakistani Channels..this was when Qureshi qualified for Wimbledon.
Hope he can do good in the Doubles in Dubai...and go from there...upset hes not in Indian Wells qualifying list..could be abt the 3 week rest you were talking about.

#20 ·

i can write here :D

well, it seems that Aisam lost in the first round in Lanzarote, not a very good year for him :rolleyes:
Yh he hasnt the best starts to the season just let the grass season come then we will see him in the top 100. Bit angry hes not going to French Openn Qualifying!!

#21 ·

Aisam to team up with Bopanna

By Our Sports Reporter

LAHORE, May 23: Pakistan’s top tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and India’s No. 1 Rohan Bopanna will be pairing up for the first time at Roland Gross French Open Grandslam tennis championship in Paris next week.

This is a significant event in the history of tennis of India and Pakistan that the flags of both countries will appear together at a Grandslam event.

“We played together at ATP Challenger and Tour level last year and early this year but will be playing together for the first time at the Grandslam level. We are very excited and are keenly looking forward to show our skills on the Roland Garross Courts together” said the pair in New Delhi where they have been featuring in ATP Challenger Tournament.

In doubles, Aisam is currently ranked 67 in the world and Rohan is 58. They are both big servers and hard hitters with a lot of experience of playing doubles and tennis fans are enthusiastically looking forward to see their performance at Grandslam level. Aisam will come to Lahore this evening and after brief stop will proceed to Paris on Saturday morning.

#22 ·

Aisam vows to put up good show in French Open

LAHORE: Pakistan’s tennis star,Aisam ul Haq, after failing into top 100 in world wide ranking, is hoping to get a wild card for turning his long standing dream into reality for playing in Beijing Olympics August this year.

“ Unfortunately I could not perform to my expected level in international events in recent months and instead improving my ranking slipped down at 148th after being at 125th in the beginning of this year “,he told APP here on Saturday before his departure to France for taking part in the doubles of French Open Grand Slam tournament.

Aisam will be pairing India’s top tennis star Rohan Bopanna in the doubles and he will be appearing in the doubles only .Aisam skipped his participation in singles to avoid the work load to compete in the qualifying rounds.

“ Some times it happens when things do not happen as per your planning and I am not frustrated with the outcome in recent competitions rather I look into future assignments with renewed zeal and confidence to demonstrated better game “,he said.

He said it is his all time wish to represent Pakistan in Olympic and sadly he could not be in top 100 ranking to play directly and now he hopes that a wild card will help him to feature in the grant sports event.

“ Pakistan Tennis Federation and Pakistan Olympic Association are making joint efforts to get a wild card for me and hopefully a decision will be taken by mid next month “,he said adding “ If I go to Olympics I will be putting my best performance to win a medal “.

Aisam who is enjoying 67th ranking in doubles seemed optimistic when asked how he feels by going down in singles ranking.

“ It is something to learn and I always learn from my defeats and it is way to improve further rather feeling dejected and I am pretty confident to get into 100 in singles by the end of this year “,he said.

Aisam strongly denied fitness problems and said he is regularly featuring in ATP Challengers and he is not facing any such problems.

“ Till November I will be playing non stop tennis in Europe and America and I am in good shape to produce desired results”,he said.

When asked the reasons for not doing good in recent months, he said he is under the coaching of his new Brazilian coach and in most of the matches he could not sustain pressure at crucial moments thus losing the matches reaching quarter finals.

“ Now I am more focused on my game plans and hopefully things will be better when I play in coming tournaments”,he said.

After competing in French Open, Aisam will be playing back to back tennis by appearing in two ATP Challengers in England and Germany followed by participation in the singles qualifying rounds of Wimbledon championship. He will make a direct participation in doubles of Wimbledon.

Then he will fly to America to play ATP tournaments in various parts of America in July returning home for a while to finalise the programme of his participation in other tournaments.

“ By the end of this year I will be playing altogether 15 to 18 tournaments and I am confident to attain the ranking among top 100 which is my prime target besides further improving my doubles ranking to top 50.

Aisam faces uphill task in improving his singles ranking as he would be defending 80 points in the coming months.

#23 ·
Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi

The Interview:

Aisam vows to put up good show in French Open

LAHORE: Pakistan’s tennis star,Aisam ul Haq, after failing into top 100 in world wide ranking, is hoping to get a wild card for turning his long standing dream into reality for playing in Beijing Olympics August this year.

“ Unfortunately I could not perform to my expected level in international events in recent months and instead improving my ranking slipped down at 148th after being at 125th in the beginning of this year “,he told APP here on Saturday before his departure to France for taking part in the doubles of French Open Grand Slam tournament.

Aisam will be pairing India’s top tennis star Rohan Bopanna in the doubles and he will be appearing in the doubles only .Aisam skipped his participation in singles to avoid the work load to compete in the qualifying rounds.

“ Some times it happens when things do not happen as per your planning and I am not frustrated with the outcome in recent competitions rather I look into future assignments with renewed zeal and confidence to demonstrated better game “,he said.

He said it is his all time wish to represent Pakistan in Olympic and sadly he could not be in top 100 ranking to play directly and now he hopes that a wild card will help him to feature in the grant sports event.

“ Pakistan Tennis Federation and Pakistan Olympic Association are making joint efforts to get a wild card for me and hopefully a decision will be taken by mid next month “,he said adding “ If I go to Olympics I will be putting my best performance to win a medal “.

Aisam who is enjoying 67th ranking in doubles seemed optimistic when asked how he feels by going down in singles ranking.

“ It is something to learn and I always learn from my defeats and it is way to improve further rather feeling dejected and I am pretty confident to get into 100 in singles by the end of this year “,he said.

Aisam strongly denied fitness problems and said he is regularly featuring in ATP Challengers and he is not facing any such problems.

“ Till November I will be playing non stop tennis in Europe and America and I am in good shape to produce desired results”,he said.

When asked the reasons for not doing good in recent months, he said he is under the coaching of his new Brazilian coach and in most of the matches he could not sustain pressure at crucial moments thus losing the matches reaching quarter finals.

“ Now I am more focused on my game plans and hopefully things will be better when I play in coming tournaments”,he said.

After competing in French Open, Aisam will be playing back to back tennis by appearing in two ATP Challengers in England and Germany followed by participation in the singles qualifying rounds of Wimbledon championship. He will make a direct participation in doubles of Wimbledon.

Then he will fly to America to play ATP tournaments in various parts of America in July returning home for a while to finalise the programme of his participation in other tournaments.

“ By the end of this year I will be playing altogether 15 to 18 tournaments and I am confident to attain the ranking among top 100 which is my prime target besides further improving my doubles ranking to top 50.

Aisam faces uphill task in improving his singles ranking as he would be defending 80 points in the coming months.

#24 ·

Aisam looking forward to the challenge

By Our Sports Reporter

LAHORE, May 26: The pair of Pakistan’s top tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and India’s Rohan Bopanna have been handed a tough first round draw in the French Open Tennis Championships.

Aisam and Bopanna will be facing the top seed world’s no 1 Bryan brothers Mike and Bob of United States.

However, according to the confident Aisam, this is not to be seen as a tough draw but a challenging one.

“Every match at the highest level of tennis in Grand Slams is a tough match. We have been thrown by luck into a highly challenging situation and that is how we are taking it. Both of us shall play our best tennis against the world’s topmost pair.

“It’s not everyday that you get a chance to measure yourself against the best in the world and we are really excited at getting this opportunity,” said Aisam, who is already in Paris in preparation for the French Open Grand Slam Tennis Championship, which just started at the red clay courts of Roland Garros.

#25 ·
Re: Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi

Aisam looking forward to the challenge

By Our Sports Reporter

LAHORE, May 26: The pair of Pakistan’s top tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and India’s Rohan Bopanna have been handed a tough first round draw in the French Open Tennis Championships.

Aisam and Bopanna will be facing the top seed world’s no 1 Bryan brothers Mike and Bob of United States.

However, according to the confident Aisam, this is not to be seen as a tough draw but a challenging one.

“Every match at the highest level of tennis in Grand Slams is a tough match. We have been thrown by luck into a highly challenging situation and that is how we are taking it. Both of us shall play our best tennis against the world’s topmost pair.

“It’s not everyday that you get a chance to measure yourself against the best in the world and we are really excited at getting this opportunity,” said Aisam, who is already in Paris in preparation for the French Open Grand Slam Tennis Championship, which just started at the red clay courts of Roland Garros.

#26 ·

Aisam and Bopanna spark India-Pakistan tennis diplomacy

Saturday, May 31, 2008
PARIS: Pakistan’s Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and Rohan Bopanna of India are determined to prove that a little tennis diplomacy can help thaw relations between their two rival nations.

The duo, who are close friends and have played together in a host of mostly low-key tournaments since 2002, made their Grand Slam debut in the men’s doubles at the French Open on Thursday.

Unfortunately the pair had the misfortune to come up against the world’s top pair, Mike and Bob Bryan of the United States, and crashed to a 6-1, 6-4 defeat.

But they believe they have a wider role to play outside the narrow confines of the world’s tennis courts.

“Everyone is happy to see that we are at this level. Rohan and I won five Challengers in 2007, reached three finals as well as a main tour final,” said Qureshi, who is 28, like his partner.

“People in Pakistan know Rohan well and root for both of us. He is my best friend on the tour.”

Lahore-based Qureshi hasn’t always had it so easy.

In 2002, his controversial decision to play doubles at Wimbledon with Israel’s Amir Hadad was denounced by the Pakistan Tennis Federation who promptly threatened to ban him from the Davis Cup team.

“I had a lot of problems with the federation back then,” recalled Qureshi.

“But everyone got the message that you can’t mix politics, religion and culture into sport and they learned a lot from it. My federation is happy with the results that Rohan and I have had playing together.”

Both men believe that the sporting thaw, which has already seen the two countries’ much-respected cricket teams undertake recipricol tours, will continue with them aiming to do their bit by playing at Wimbledon next month.

“We have bilateral ties in tennis. India will come to Pakistan and then we go there at the end of the year,” he said.

“Look at the Indian Premier League. There are many Pakistanis and Indians in the same team. It’s great. If cricketers can play together, there should be no problem for us.”

Bopanna believes both the India and Pakistan public have responded positively to the partnership which was boosted when they finished runners-up at the main tour event in Mumbai in September last year.

“People are pleased that the two different countries are playing together. We played in India and made the final,” he said.

“We just get along so well.”

Bopanna is in good company when it comes to potentially volatile partnerships; his Indian compatriot Sania Mirza courted controversy at Wimbledon in 2007 when she played women’s doubles with Israel’s Shahar Peer.

#27 ·
Re: Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi

Aisam and Bopanna spark India-Pakistan tennis diplomacy

Saturday, May 31, 2008
PARIS: Pakistan’s Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and Rohan Bopanna of India are determined to prove that a little tennis diplomacy can help thaw relations between their two rival nations.

The duo, who are close friends and have played together in a host of mostly low-key tournaments since 2002, made their Grand Slam debut in the men’s doubles at the French Open on Thursday.

Unfortunately the pair had the misfortune to come up against the world’s top pair, Mike and Bob Bryan of the United States, and crashed to a 6-1, 6-4 defeat.

But they believe they have a wider role to play outside the narrow confines of the world’s tennis courts.

“Everyone is happy to see that we are at this level. Rohan and I won five Challengers in 2007, reached three finals as well as a main tour final,” said Qureshi, who is 28, like his partner.

“People in Pakistan know Rohan well and root for both of us. He is my best friend on the tour.”

Lahore-based Qureshi hasn’t always had it so easy.

In 2002, his controversial decision to play doubles at Wimbledon with Israel’s Amir Hadad was denounced by the Pakistan Tennis Federation who promptly threatened to ban him from the Davis Cup team.

“I had a lot of problems with the federation back then,” recalled Qureshi.

“But everyone got the message that you can’t mix politics, religion and culture into sport and they learned a lot from it. My federation is happy with the results that Rohan and I have had playing together.”

Both men believe that the sporting thaw, which has already seen the two countries’ much-respected cricket teams undertake recipricol tours, will continue with them aiming to do their bit by playing at Wimbledon next month.

“We have bilateral ties in tennis. India will come to Pakistan and then we go there at the end of the year,” he said.

“Look at the Indian Premier League. There are many Pakistanis and Indians in the same team. It’s great. If cricketers can play together, there should be no problem for us.”

Bopanna believes both the India and Pakistan public have responded positively to the partnership which was boosted when they finished runners-up at the main tour event in Mumbai in September last year.

“People are pleased that the two different countries are playing together. We played in India and made the final,” he said.

“We just get along so well.”

Bopanna is in good company when it comes to potentially volatile partnerships; his Indian compatriot Sania Mirza courted controversy at Wimbledon in 2007 when she played women’s doubles with Israel’s Shahar Peer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.