Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC

12K views 383 replies 25 participants last post by  Iulya 
#1 ·
The respective Davis Cup teams are:
Argentina - David Nalbandian, Juan Martin Del Potro, Agustin Calleri, Jose Acasuso
Spain - David Ferrer, Feliciano Lopez, Fernando Verdasco, Marcel Granollers

Just in case you didn't know the importance of the occasion, here are some quotes from David about the upcoming tie:
(Thanks to Julia - I got the translated article from your blog)

"These five rubbers are the most important in the history of Argentine tennis"

"It's the big goal of the year and I have no doubt that the expectations are very big, we've raised them ourselves, over the years. Half the people didn't know what the Davis Cup was and we were trying to bring, to push tennis further on and we have brought it to highest levels of popularity since ten years ago when the age of Vilas ended. People get more involved, I agree with you and to be part of this atmosphere is spectacular. At Buenos Aires, we always make the most of the Davis Cup weeks there and here, because it's a final even more so. I think the whole political dimension behind it all makes it a much bigger occasion. We mustn't forget we're representing the flag and it's the same as with some artist, or whatever who defends the Argentine colours for us."

"Apart from the opponent, this is a final, everybody will want to give their best and we must be vigilant and not feel too secure, because this is a singular and historic opportunity. I don't know if we will get to play another Davis Cup final at home. We have to be as vigilant as possible in order to seize this opportunity."

I hope that David gets to fulfill his dream.

See less See more
#4 ·
(Thanks to Julia - I got the translated article from your blog)
You're welcome. :)

I hope that David gets to fulfill his dream.
Me too. :D
Winning the Davis Cup has always been one of his biggest goals.
He said during the last press conference that playing Davis Cup "has meant a lot of effort and sacrifice" for him. And it's true, he has always given it his all. Let's hope his reward will be winning the first DC title for Argentina.

#5 ·
By the way, Julia, I read your good luck message on the Davis Cup website. It brought a smile to my face - it was easily the best one there, although I couldn't read about half of them.

Ideally I would like David to be the one to clinch the tie, but I shouldn't be greedy like that, should I? But being the number 1 player for Argentina would have helped that happen a lot. On the other hand, I don't want a fifth rubber because it really shouldn't go that far.

#6 ·
Thanks. I was really suprised to see that message up on the website. I guess the look on my face must have been priceless... ;)

David clinching the tie. Yes, that would be the ideal scenario. But like you, I could really do without the tie going to a fifth live rubber. And that's what it would take. Right now, I just hope that he wins his first match against Ferrer. I've seen a few of the battles they've had in the past. And none of them made for easy viewing. Though if Ferrer plays anywhere near like he did at Paris...
So far, the special situation of playing Davis Cup has always brought out the best in David. I guess, I just want it to stay that way. That he's able to play his best and win his matches. Even if he doesn't get to play the decisive rubber.

#7 ·
Yeah, it's always a battle when he plays against Ferrer. Given the matches I've seen, I just couldn't imagine it being quick and easy. I'd fancy Ferrer to take a set or so.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that Ferrer hasn't beaten a player in the top 100 in his last 7 ATP tournaments, although he did defeat Roddick in the Davis Cup, rather unimpressively. Such is his form.

#8 ·
Their matches are always intense. And even if they don't go the distance they're long and arduous fights.

Ferrer fought well against Roddick in the Davis Cup semi. But his season and especially the last few months really have been unimpressive. Barely scraping through against lowly ranked opponents. Losing to players he would've easily disposed of last year. His loss to Kohlschreiber at Paris was probably the worst I've ever seen him play (not that I watch his matches all the time).
Still, I'm expecting a tough match for David on Friday. Poor form or no, I probably just can't imagine a quick and easy match between these two.

#9 ·
I'm really excited about the possibility of Argentina winning the Davis Cup at last. I hope that David finally can cross it from his list and it´s about time that he acomplishes one of his main goals.

So, good luck for him and for the rest of the team and I just hope that all the pressure and the heavy favouritism don't take its toll and turn this great opportunity into a huge upset.

VAMOS ARGENTINA!

#13 ·
Hey guys, anyone here ?

#14 ·
David is *5-2, already 2 breaks up and serving for the set. He seems to be in a very good mood.

#16 ·
2 wild balls, FH CC and a BH CC and he is facing 2 BPs. One saved.

#17 ·
Nice to see you, how are you doing ?:wavey:

#19 ·
And another BP. On what TV are you watching the match ?

#21 ·
15:40, 2 set points. One wasted 30:40

#22 ·
6-3 first set. I am feeling good about this, he is looking very confident and motivated (like always in DC) :shrug:

#24 ·
Pics has always been a bad matchup for him, but he is playing awful lately and if David wins this 2 rubbers he will be most sucesful player this fall indoors with 16 wins ahead of Murray with 15.

#25 ·
I think that I cable sports on sopcast is broadcast this.

#26 ·
Also TVE used to had streams on their web site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.