Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC

12K views 383 replies 25 participants last post by  Iulya 
#1 ·
The respective Davis Cup teams are:
Argentina - David Nalbandian, Juan Martin Del Potro, Agustin Calleri, Jose Acasuso
Spain - David Ferrer, Feliciano Lopez, Fernando Verdasco, Marcel Granollers

Just in case you didn't know the importance of the occasion, here are some quotes from David about the upcoming tie:
(Thanks to Julia - I got the translated article from your blog)

"These five rubbers are the most important in the history of Argentine tennis"

"It's the big goal of the year and I have no doubt that the expectations are very big, we've raised them ourselves, over the years. Half the people didn't know what the Davis Cup was and we were trying to bring, to push tennis further on and we have brought it to highest levels of popularity since ten years ago when the age of Vilas ended. People get more involved, I agree with you and to be part of this atmosphere is spectacular. At Buenos Aires, we always make the most of the Davis Cup weeks there and here, because it's a final even more so. I think the whole political dimension behind it all makes it a much bigger occasion. We mustn't forget we're representing the flag and it's the same as with some artist, or whatever who defends the Argentine colours for us."

"Apart from the opponent, this is a final, everybody will want to give their best and we must be vigilant and not feel too secure, because this is a singular and historic opportunity. I don't know if we will get to play another Davis Cup final at home. We have to be as vigilant as possible in order to seize this opportunity."

I hope that David gets to fulfill his dream.

See less See more
#28 ·
OMG, did you see the last point with FH CC? He was being 40:0 down and managed to break Pics serve. Amazing points.

#29 ·
some good serving, 2 DFs :retard:

#31 ·
He got broken back :sad:

#32 ·
He will break Pics serve again, I am confident about that.

#33 ·
And here it is 3 BPs.

#36 ·
I wonder how long until Ferrer smashes his racket.

#37 ·
:haha: BP again. It will be 4 break of serve in a row.

#39 ·
Holds 5-2 with a little bit help from Pics.

#44 ·
He talks a lot when he losses, but too bad I don't understand Spanish.:eek:

#41 ·
And another break for 2-0 in sets. Surgical stuff.

#43 ·
The scoreline has been very one-sided, although there have been some very closely contested games. But you always got the feeling with this mood that David is in, that he's just going to come out on top regardless of a couple of setbacks here and there. That mood that I like, where it seems like it's going to take a lot to bother him. Obviously Ferrer not being able to keep up the same level during the match and being vulnerable on serve helps matters.

#47 ·
The scoreline has been very one-sided, although there have been some very closely contested games. But you always got the feeling with this mood that David is in, that he's just going to come out on top regardless of a couple of setbacks here and there. That mood that I like, where it seems like it's going to take a lot to bother him. Obviously Ferrer not being able to keep up the same level during the match and being vulnerable on serve helps matters.
Hey Krystlel, how are you ?:wavey:

Yes, result is so obvious when he is in this mood. It has been quite a pleasure watching him in DC matches always.

#46 ·
2 BPs, bad service game again. One saved thanks to Pics again.

#50 ·
David trying to be fancy on GM with that dropshot and a lob afterward. 2-2

#53 ·
Pics on BP short ball. He hit it almost in the stands :haha: This match is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.