Mens Tennis Forums banner

Matthew Ebden

127K views 1K replies 69 participants last post by  Transcender 
#1 ·
Great to see an Aussie victory last week when Matthew stopped the run of Jamie Baker. Athletic, fit and extremely personable I hope to see more great tennis from matthew heading into the Summer months

#3 ·
Wins Bendigo this week. Finishing the year well after dropping in the rankings this year.

#5 ·
Also put himself well ahead of Klein, Matosevic and Groth for that last AO maindraw wildcard.

#8 ·
Wow wins the first set 7-5

#9 ·
And breaks early in the second

#10 ·
And another break to lead 4-0. Awesome stuff from Matty

#11 ·
Wins it. The world number 285 defeats the world number 28, 7-5 6-1. Very good win to go with Ball's win by the same scoreline. I haven't heard anything about Melzer's odds drifiting so it seems as though Ebden has simply beaten him fair and square. Well done Matty and could well have clinched that last wildcard on offer for the Aus Open although the youth policy might still have a say about that.

#16 ·
Nice effort against Gasquet. Was only broken once in the first set and then got broken at the beginning of the second and broke straight back and kept it on serve till he got broken at 4-4 after threatening Gasquet on his serve beforehand. Considering what a super talent Gasquet is Ebden should be happy and certainly did his Australian Open Wildcard hopes no harm.

#17 ·
Yeah was a good effort in Brisbane but it I am very interested to see how Matt goes in Sydney qualies. If Matt can qualify for Sydney as well that would be extremely impressive. He is going to have to get that wildcard into the aussie open to do that though because he cannot afford to skip AO qualies.

Good luck in Sydney Matt I'll be cheering for you.

#18 ·
Although Matt is already at a career high ranking he is going to move inside the top 250 after this week so thats great for him. I'd really like to see Matt solidify a place in the top 220 becuase I think he is playing well enough at the moment to build towards big results on the challenger tour.

I see him as being in a similar position to Marinko Matosevic now as he was last year when he built off the strong futures results and is now basically a main stay on the challenger tour. Lets hope Matt can have a good 2010 and a top 150 place isnt that far away!

#19 ·
I see him as being in a similar position to Marinko Matosevic now as he was last year when he built off the strong futures results and is now basically a main stay on the challenger tour. Lets hope Matt can have a good 2010 and a top 150 place isnt that far away!
"Totally agree Matchu - great to see players like Marinko and Ebden proving that they are not too ""old"" as perceived by TA.

#21 ·
He should win this if he carries his form over from Brisbane

#23 ·
A bit of a shame. Looked good after the first set as well. At least it will allow him to get in some good practice on the Aus Open courts.

#24 ·
He has played a lot of tennis and has had some great results over the last few months - he might just need to regroup now and get himself ready for Aus Open. Good luck to him. A couple of good wins here thouigh might have secured that last wildcard in Aus Open - still surely he has a good chance...

#26 ·
Won a close three setter. Now plays the talented but injury prone Przysiezny in what will be a tough match.

#27 ·
Ebden qualifies!! Ebden d. Michal Przysiezny 7-5 6-2
Possible 1st round matches:
Hewitt
C. Rochus
Sela
Ram
Ferrero
Moya
Davydenko
Almagro
Becker
Grosjean
Tomic
Murray
Lu
Koellerer
Monfils
Benneteau

Most qualifiers will get a pretty kind draw with the likes of Ram, Lu, Grosjean and Rochus all drawn against qualifiers. I hope he doesn't get Davydenko, Murray or Monfils.

Sirianni up next.

#28 ·
:worship:. Great effort Matt against a very good opponent. Hopefully he can avoid the big names because he's capable of beating a fair few players on that list.

#29 ·
It's all come very quickly for Matt he gets his first ATP win this year and is going to play in his first Grand Slam main draw. In October last year Matt was ranked 453 and as it stands at the end of the Australian Open he will move to about 215 in the world and if he can win his first round at the Aussie Open he will move to about 187 in the world which would basically spell the end of future tournaments for him and see him play exclusively on the challenger tour which I think he belongs there given recent form.

Come on matty we need another aussie player playing challengers every week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.