Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup

37K views 566 replies 74 participants last post by  Edda 
#1 ·
Nearly DC semi's time

How does everyone think Juanqui will do in the Davis Cup?
I think he should win his matches (let's hope he is fully fit), DC usually seems to bring out the best in him.

#134 ·
Alma said:
Well, Im sure he's happy about Rafa.....Not for himself maybe but for Rafa and Spain surely......:)
Yeah i'm sure he's happy for Rafa, they showed him a lot on the coverage i was watching and he was cheering Carlos and Rafa on.

But i'm not sure that the way he was dropped is going to do his confidence much good

#135 ·
Jogg said:
Yeah i'm sure he's happy for Rafa, they showed him a lot on the coverage i was watching and he was cheering Carlos and Rafa on.

But i'm not sure that the way he was dropped is going to do his confidence much good
It won't do his confidence any good, i think it will destroy it more, because he prepared for it for so long, and they basically told him that he wasn't any good to play, even after he said he's at 100% health, but I know Juanqui is a fighter and will put up a mental battle and get through this. I'm sure his confidence will be fully restored once he wins RG next year :)

#137 ·
thanks for the link, i actually understood some of what they were saying and I don't have a clue about how to speak spanish

#139 ·
Thanks Luna,I damn love Juan sits next Tommy, :hearts::drool::hearts: also only they wear a black jacket,that's cool!!! :cool:

#140 ·
Juanqui Lover said:
It won't do his confidence any good, i think it will destroy it more, because he prepared for it for so long, and they basically told him that he wasn't any good to play, even after he said he's at 100% health, but I know Juanqui is a fighter and will put up a mental battle and get through this. I'm sure his confidence will be fully restored once he wins RG next year :)
:yeah: i hope he kicks everyone's ass next year

#141 ·
A un Ferrero apagado le costó apuntarse a la fiesta

SEVILLA. El banquillo español vibró, brincó, sufrió, pero sobre todo disfrutó de lo lindo. Apoyó con pasión a Moyá y a Nadal y al final se fundió en un abrazo estrecho y emocionante justo después de que el pequeño del equipo cosechara el segundo punto de la eliminatoria.

Sin embargo, un análisis lejano -la prensa se sitúa en el extremo opuesto del palco que alberga al equipo- pero atento descubría dos ambientes en el pequeño rectángulo que cobija a la «Armada». Una zona se mostraba extremadamente bulliciosa y animada. El «lío» lo provocaban sobre todo dos individuos entregados a la causa de animar a sus colegas, Feliciano López y Fernando Verdasco, que fueron felicitados por los capitanes al concluir el choque por su entrega a los colores.

Ellos arrastraron a Perlas, Avendaño, al doctor, al encordador, al fisioterapeuta... Sin embargo, en una de las esquinas dos hombres se mantenían algo más apagados. Juan Carlos Ferrero y Robredo, semblantes serios, apenas se levantaron de sus asientos y mantuvieron una postura casi hierática. Su actitud siempre fue correcta, pero un puntito por debajo del entusiasmo del resto.

En cierta medida es lógico porque el disgusto que se llevó el valenciano fue de órdago. Cuando había alguna buena jugada o un punto destacado sí que iniciaban unas tibias palmas. En cualquier caso Tommy, que por su parte debe estar algo dolido porque al fin y al cabo por ranking es el número dos español y el 13 del mundo y pese a ello apenas ha contado para los capitanes, fue poco a poco animándose y se unió como uno más a la piña colectiva del final del día.

Ferrero, en cambio, se quedó un poco al margen. Pareció que estaba involuntariamente aislado por el movimiento de sus compañeros en el palco, pero tardó en reaccionar y cuando quiso unirse al grupo que daba botes entusiasmados éste casi se estaba separando.

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg041204/prensa/noticias/Deportes/Tenis/200412/04/NAC-DEP-062.asp
I used translator to translate but doesn't get the meaning of some phrases,anyone would like to help?

#143 ·
Juanqui Lover said:
Yeah that's why I was so dissapointed :sad:
But you're right, he's a fighter! :cool:

#145 ·
the Spanish bench vibrated, bopped up and down, suffered and morever enjoyed the beauty. They supported Moyà and Nadal with passion and at the end they all got together in a tight, emotional hug, just after the baby of the team sewed up the second rubber of the tie.
Nevertheless, an analysis from afar - the press were sitting at the opposite side to the team - yet an attentive one found 2 atmospheres in the "rectangle" that housed the Armada. One part looked really enthusiastic and animated. The "mess/muddle/affair" was provoked mainly by 2 individuals who were there to cheer on their team mates, Feli Lopez and Fernando Verdasco, who were congratulated by the captains at the end, for having been supportive.

They cheered along with Perlas, Avedaño, the team doctor, the encordador (don't know what that is sorry), and the physio. However, in one of the corners 2 men stayed rather quiet. Ferrero and Robredo, looking serious, hardly got out of their seats
and adopted almost regal positions. Their attitude was always right, but a little less enthusiastic than the rest.

In some ways, it's understandable, because the disgust that the Valencian had to cope with was dreadful. When there was a good shot or an amazing point he did applaud a little. In any case, Tommy would have to be a bit offended because when all's said and done he's the number 2 Spaniard by ranking and the #13 in the world, and despite that, the captains hardly took notice of him. He cheered little by little and joined in with the rest at the end of the day.

Ferrero, on the other hand, remained on the more outer. It seemed like he was involuntarily isolated from the movement of his team-mates, but he took a while to react and when he wanted to join the group which were bouncing enthusiastically, he was almost separate from them

#146 · (Edited)
:( It is the first article I read, where they write about Juan Carlos's and Tommy's feelings and not only how great Nadal is. But I can understand guys for being mad and pissed off a little bit.
P.S. it looks more and more that JC is closer to Tommy than to the others in team. In all photos you can see them talking to each other etc

#147 ·
hola said:
:( It is the first article I read, where they write about Juan Carlos's and Tommy's feelings and not only how great Nadal is. But I can understand guys for being mad and pissed off a little bit.
P.S. it looks more and more that JC is closer to Tommy than to the others in team. In all photos you can see them talking to each other etc
I get mad when I know the news. :armed:
I also notice that phenomenon,and I think they can comfort with each other! :hug:

#148 ·
so now jc is playing doubles with tommy! im happy he gets to play but in a way its kinda disrespectful to jc cos it just shows that g3 are just thinking about getting nadal rested 4 sunday.

#149 ·
this is just getting more pathetic...

here's an article regarding the doubles that I've translated for you:

Ferrero-Robredo es la pareja de dobles

El G-3 dejó fuera a Nadal tras su extraordinario esfuerzo ante Roddick para enfrentarse a los hermanos Bryan

MDol / BARCELONA

04/12/04 14:30 h.Juan Carlos Ferrero y Tommy Robredo formarán la pareja del dobles que se medirá a los hermanos Bryan en el tercer partido de la final de la Copa Davis, que se está disputando en el estadio de La Cartuja de Sevilla, después de la decisión del G-3 de sustituir a Rafael Nadal tras su extraordinario esfuerzo físico en el partido contra Andy Roddick, que duró más de tres horas y media.

Tras la primera jornada España domina por 2-0 y el l G-3 prefiere reservar a Rafael Nadal ante un hipotético quinto encuentro, que le enfrentará a Mardy Fish.

Ferrero y Robredo habían disputado 15 encuentros como pareja entre 2002 y 2003 con un discreto balance de 3 victorias y 12 derrotas. Su mejor resultado fue los cuartos de final logrados en el masters Series de Montecarlo-2002. Los jugadores españoles tendrán un reto casi imposible, derrotar a la mejor pareja del mundo, la de los hermanos Mike y Bob Bryan que no han cedido ni un set en sus últimos cuatro encuentros en la Davis.

Ferrero-Robredo is the doubles pair

The G3 dropped Nadal for the match against the Bryan brothers after his extaordinary effort against Roddick.

Juan Carlos Ferrero and Tommy Robredo will form the doubles pair to face the Bryan brothers in the 3rd match of the Davis Cup final which is being held in the La Cartuja stadium in Seville, after the G3's decision to substitute Ferrero for Nadal after his extraordinary physical effort in the match against Roddick, which lasted more than 3 and a half hours.

After the first day, Spain is dominating by 2-0 and G3 would rather keep Rafael for a possible 5th rubber encounter with Mardy Fish.

Ferrero and Robredo had played 15 matches as a doubles pair in 2002 and 2003 with a modest record of 3 wins and 12 defeats. ( :( ) Their best result was the quarterfinals of the Monte Carlo Masters in 2002. The Spanish players will have an almost impossible task: to defeat the best doubles pair in the world, Mike and Bob Bryan who haven't even dropped a set in their last 4 Davis Cup matches.

#151 ·
Well....I don't think it's such humiliation really....Because if Nadal is tired he probably won't be able to repeat the great form today aswell, and we can agree that's not gonna favour the spanish guys vs someone like the Bryans. I just thought they might pick someone else, guess I jus didnt expect to see Juanca playin doubles.......And I think they are all in one team, and the whole point in that is to put their efforts for the team, and from that point of view I don't see nothing wrong with exchanging Nadal and Juanca. I'm happy that Juanca will play!...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.