Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which year was better? Time travel match?

Federer 2004 (74-6) vs. Djokovic 2011 (70-6)

23K views 409 replies 93 participants last post by  Alex999 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the 06 vs. 11 thread has turned to shit, I would like to propose a more realistic comparison.

Fed in 04 and Nole in 11 were pretty similar. Both won 3 slams in their first year of domination and ascending to the #1 rank.

Fed was 74-6 on the year, won 3 slams, 3 Masters 1000, 1 TMC 5-0, 1 500 (Dubai), and 3 250's (Halle, Gstaad, Bangkok).

Nole is 70-6 (+ 1 W/O) on the year, won 3 slams, 5 Masters 1000, 1 500 (Dubai), and 1 250 (Belgrade).

Fed had 11 titles to Djokovic's 10.

Ranking points using 2011 system:

Federer 2004- 12,385 points
Djokovic 2011- 13,675 points

Maybe Djokovic had the better year?

Which year was better, and who would win in a fictional time travel match?

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Who was competing with Fed in 2004? Baby Nadal? :lol:
Safin, Hewitt, Roddick was still good, lost to Guga at the French, the field was deep in 04.

#80 ·

do we really need another 100 pages discussion thread about fedclown-fakervic?
I know right! this is really strange to keep discussing and begins to lose it's flavor. Federer was much better in 2004 or 2006, whatever, than Djokovic has and ever will be. nothing to discuss this is dumnb, move on

#12 ·

Just want to add this for the nadulltard brigade who didn't know tennis existed prior to 2005.

Youngest #1s*

1. Hewitt age: 20y 8m 26 d
2. Safin age: 20y 9m 24 d
3. McEnroe age 21y 0m 16 d
4. Roddick age 21y 2m 4 d

#14 ·

The stats say that Djokovic's year was better, but I dunno.

#16 ·

Overall this again hangs on the outcome of the year end finals.

If Djokovic wins it is certainly him otherwise could put a case for either player.

#31 ·

Arguments can also be made Federer 2007 vs. Djokovic 2011.

#32 ·

Arguments can also be made Federer 2007 vs. Djokovic 2011.
It is incredible how many exceptional years Federer had.

#34 ·

well this makes more sense.

novaks season is, I reckon, better at this point statistically. but, overall, feds season, for me, was hugely impressive as well, so much I wouldnt easily put this year above 2004. just when I though he will become a serial choker, he goes on and wins 3 slams which hasnt been done in ages - that alone lifted, I think, the level of tennis to a new level. also the field had lots of talent, more than today, and fed navigated through that beating his rivals left and right. was very impressive. if Id want to nitpick Id say safin that year could've done more but thats got little to do with fed, in the end.

take away lack of GOATS back than, and lack of top 10 talent today, if we talk greatness, its fairly equal imo, as far as single-season vs season go.

fed vs nole (...a topic we havent talked about recently...), I think we should look on with more intelligence than we usually do, and parse it. in a time travel match, played on a surface which suits them equally, which would be medium hard its down to a few points if they face off, a toss up. vs some abstract field which would combine that of 04 and 11, I give big edge to fed in an 'era' time frame, and not-so-big edge in a 'single season' time frame. you know that thing about feds effortless game, while it is hugely overblown by fed-tards, it stands. but like I said, over a single season novak has proven to be devastating, perhaps even more than roger, due to his lack of weakness. that some heavy shit not even fed had.

in essence, I think we shouldnt be as obsessed with these type of comparisons. but if you insist....

#108 ·

well this makes more sense.

novaks season is, I reckon, better at this point statistically. but, overall, feds season, for me, was hugely impressive as well, so much I wouldnt easily put this year above 2004. just when I though he will become a serial choker, he goes on and wins 3 slams which hasnt been done in ages - that alone lifted, I think, the level of tennis to a new level. also the field had lots of talent, more than today, and fed navigated through that beating his rivals left and right. was very impressive. if Id want to nitpick Id say safin that year could've done more but thats got little to do with fed, in the end.

take away lack of GOATS back than, and lack of top 10 talent today, if we talk greatness, its fairly equal imo, as far as single-season vs season go.

fed vs nole (...a topic we havent talked about recently...), I think we should look on with more intelligence than we usually do, and parse it. in a time travel match, played on a surface which suits them equally, which would be medium hard its down to a few points if they face off, a toss up. vs some abstract field which would combine that of 04 and 11, I give big edge to fed in an 'era' time frame, and not-so-big edge in a 'single season' time frame. you know that thing about feds effortless game, while it is hugely overblown by fed-tards, it stands. but like I said, over a single season novak has proven to be devastating, perhaps even more than roger, due to his lack of weakness. that some heavy shit not even fed had.

in essence, I think we shouldnt be as obsessed with these type of comparisons. but if you insist....
Someone that makes sense, finally.
Aren't you people bored of contantly comparing Djoker and Fed? I am.

#40 ·

The 2004 top 10 was better but the current top 5 is better than the 2004 top 5.

#42 ·

I'm not sure who had the better year (probably Federer), but Federer would win the match easily.

#48 ·

hewitt is a good example how slam titles dont necessarily have to mean much. put him in his prime today, and he is hardly wining any.
Put prime Novak in the 80s or early 90s and he is not winning any slams period :wavey:

#57 ·

Matty boy showing how 'objective' he really is, just another bitter Rafole fanboy slating players Fed was too good for at his best. :yeah:

Well, if you think that players like Roddick and Hewitt are as good as players like Nadal, Djokovic (or Federer who is now #3) then ths is your problem. :shrug:
I'm just stating my opinion and I even stated that it can't be hold against Federer that he had to compete with those players above when he won everything ;)

#63 ·

Djokovic would lose 6-3 6-2 vs 2004 Fed.
I think Nole's year is over, and he won't win more than 1 slam in 2012.
But I also can be wrong, nobody denies he was the best player in 2011... But it's almost impossible for him to have another year like this one.
I see him winning one slam next year, any of them, he's multi-superficial.
And besides the big 4, the other players are pretty bad, but I don't see him winning over Nadal in clay again.
And I see "very-olderer" beating him again without problems.

#77 ·

Also who knocked the better players out of the Slams in 04:

Fed: Kuerten (clay court and RG legend)
Roddick: Safin (shit eh?), Mutis (I'll give you this one but Roddick's always been shit on clay/RG), Fed, Joachim Johansson (outstanding talent fucked over by shoulder injuries)
Hewitt: Fed, Gaudio (eventual champ), Fed, Fed
Nalbandian: Fed, Gaudio (eventual champ), injured, Youzhny (poor loss after leading two sets to one)
Safin: Fed, Nalbandian, Tursunov (give you this one maybe, but grass was still diverse enough to piss Safin off), Enqvist (strong fast court player and GS finalist)
Coria: Saulnier, Gaudio (eventual champ), Mayer (better on grass), injured
Gaudio: Hrbaty, didn't play Wimbledon, Thomas Johansson
Agassi: Safin, Haehnel, injured, Fed
Moya: injured, Coria, Hewitt, Rochus (yeah okay)
Henman: Canas, Coria, Ancic, Fed

Now which of these losses are particularly bad? Rochus beating #3 Moya I'll give you. All proper upsets are in bold. 4 out of 32 were 'bad' losses. Gaudio's losses off clay weren't upsets and neither was Coria's Wimbledon loss. Canas and Ancic were top 10 players at their best and Henman's losses to them weren't upsets either.

Face it, 2004 was way more competitive and had way more depth.

Who ranked 5 or below posted a win over the top 4 in a slam this year? Only Tsonga. Says it all

#79 ·

With regard to field depth.

I am of the opinion that every era has only a finite amount of greatness in the atmosphere.

Whether it is spread out over several players with slams, or if it is like today and all of the greatness is hogged by 3 players.

#83 ·

All right.. Let's make it simple. Nole fans don't want to admit that the field of tennis of 2004 was much better than 2011. Because they think that Nole is the greatest one and nobody, nobody could do better than him. What is the meaning of GOOD top 10? It doesn't matter. The fact is, he has a 21-2 (or somewhat like that) beating record against top 10(Other than Nole, 7 out of these 9 DIDN'T win any GS). Why should we have to see how good the current top 10 is? Nole has a lot of records and that's all.

On the other hand, Federer won a lot of matches by beating a lot of GS title winning player who were in that time's top 10 but these are nothing. Federer dominated those days because no real tennis player was there to compete against him.
Nole fans are sooo happy about this 'Nole year' because they have that so-called GOAT Federer in these years and they also have this Rafael Nadal and these two have 16+10=26 Majors and Nole beat both of them. So Nole is the great and 2011 is much harder than before. So if Federer 2004 vs Djokovic 2011 takes place, undoubtedly Djokovic 2011 will be the winner.

Ok? period.. :wavey:

#84 ·

I definitely think 2004 was a very competitive year. Tennis had been cresting upwards since 2002 (01-02 were down years) and it culminated in 2004 and 2005 with a lot of depth and talent in mens tennis.

It kinda dropped again in 2006 and 07, through retirement/injury/etc but came back really strong in 2008. Unfortunately it dipped again in 09-10 and hasn't quite made it back to the 2008 peak yet (even though imo 2011 was a stronger year than the previous two).

The reason I don't consider 2011 a great year, is b/c the youngsters have dissappointed after the AO. Tomic, Dolgo, Del Potro, Harrison, Raonic et al should be coming into their own and making consistent deep pushes in slams (and they should be upsetting top seeds). That they haven't is dissappointing.

Also the next youngest generation of players that really never made it but had talent (Cilic et al) are not even appearing on radars anymore, and typically you see at least 1 underachiever make a dramatic comeback. I guess you could make the case for Gasquet this year... kinda.

Then the old generation are really dissappoing as well. Roddick, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Ljubicic are just miles away from their best, and haven't really had a good throwback performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.