Mens Tennis Forums banner

Time For A New Coach

9K views 158 replies 10 participants last post by  Sparko1030 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I wanted to yell at Nico because I thought he wasn't preparing properly for hardcourt season and especially New Haven and the US Open.

But today is a different story. If I feel badly that he is losing all his matches, he must be totally depressed about it. I know that Nico really felt last year that he could be back in the top twenty, but it hasn't worked out. He's lost all his confident. He's lost all his fight on court. :sad: Poor Nico... :hug: :hug:

He's been through rough patches before, but he's always managed to comeback. But this time, it's not happening.

So your thoughts.

What do you think Nico has to do to comeback????

My thoughts on it: as much as I love Gaby, he takes great care of Nico, and as great as he is technically as a coach, Nico has to get a new coach next year. I wish Nico would do like Nole, and get a number of different coaches/ex-players to come and work with him for short periods of time in addition to his regular coach. Or like Flip is doing - he's at Andre's working out with Andre, Gil Reyes, and Sargasian to comeback.

The other thing is that Nico has to do something himself. He has to start being the warrior on court again and fight. Until he does that, no coach or advisor is going to help.

Whatever he does, it's got to be radical changes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Your Thoughts Por Favor: What Does Nico Have To Do To Comeback

for me the solution won't be another coach, unfortunatly this radical change only has to be made by him, I wish I could help you in some way but the only one that needs to do this is him, nobody else could help him since after being so negative it doesn't matter if you're smacking him on the forehead because at the end he wouldn't even listen at you, by this time I'm sure that he is still thinking about that shot missed on today's match or whatever it was that makes him lose his confidence and his state of being focussed.

I really have no clue what he could do, for me all this is for his attitude, he has to change his attitude, he has the freaking game and talent, everybody that has seen him during this year agrees that he's great on practice and that he does everything well, I still remember Gaby saying that he beated Davydenko 6-1 during a practice in Monte Carlo when Davydenko was still at his best, but during a match is a different thing. He has to find the way to keep the same form during matches, he is a professional tennis player, he can do this! I refuse to believe that this is it for him, this can't be it, no no no. THIS IS NOT THE END!!!

#3 ·

I agree Kid - this is up to him. He's got to fight on court and somehow figure out how not to lose focus.

And totally agree that this can't be it for him. Tennis would be horrid without our Nico. :bigcry:

#4 ·

I agree with both

but it's early to tell something

let's wait for Nico's quotes...

#5 ·

I know that we won't find out anything like him saying like he is going to quit this thing because he won't do it, I'm sure about that ;) but I'm not brave enough to get through the chilean press right now and to find out if he said something or not, it's already painfull enough for me :sad:

And for me tennis only exists for him ... I'm a tennis fan because of him and he'll figure out the way to get rid of all this sh*t and he'll be back again, he can do it and he will do it.

#7 ·

Fergie...nice smilies! :lol:

You can yell at me but I think he should try it with a new coach in the next year. New influences can be a help, why not? :shrug: But I won't say that Gaby is a bad coach.

And he has to do something himself, of course. This is not the end, many players had a bad time in their career but managed it sooner or later. There's hope for our Nico.

#8 ·

It will be interesting to hear what he says when he gets home - that's if Nico talks to the press. He hasn't been doing that much this year.

I also want his dad and Stefano to travel with him during the summer US swing. He needs their support right now. I know that his mom's dad is sick, but that doesn't mean that Papa Massu can't come along. It's only 4 weeks.

Love those smilies Fergie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

#9 ·

if any of his family member are not traveling with him since Cincy I'm going to be really mad at them :mad: :lol:

I'm sure that Fergie took some time to find out those smilies :rolls:

some players need new coaches to improve their career but we have seen that with Nico that's not the case, we could convince to the same Agassi to coach him and still he'd be doing the same thing, he needs to believe in himself.

#10 ·

Arf :rolleyes: What to say? Nothing really new, unfortunately, it's the same old story :eek: As Kid say, his tennis is here but his mind's out there :confused:
I think a change of coach would be great, but he used to work with Gaby and I'm not sure he'd like to change his habits :rolleyes:

Spend a week with Rafa in Mallorca to find the fighting spirit again, to learn again to say VAMOS :lol: Yeah, to train with fighters...

I don't know, we'll see what he'll do, but for each problem there's a least a solution. That's not from me :lol: But that's true, just have to find it :D

VAMOS NICO

#11 ·

like all of us need to laugh a little bit I just remembered that I dreamt about Nicolas yesterday :haha: that I was talking to him by phone, of course it wasn't a call of 2 mins, it was a long call :rolls: and the thing that I remember the most that he said at the begining to me "I'm fine" :awww:

am I pathetic or what?!?! :smash: :haha:

#13 ·

I still don't get quite well what is the first smilie doing :p

#14 ·

I think Gaby is a great coach and he must stay with Nico.He´s his coach and most important his friend. He can understand Nico better than anybody else.I saw him working hard in one of a practice in amersfoort trying to help Nico finding his fighting spirit.Gaby does his best to help Nico and so does Hernan too.(even off courts).Nico works with a great team :yeah:
Nico lost his confidence and that´s the main problem..We must cheer for him and support him in these bad moments and stop saying he should retire :rolleyes:
we have to make him recover his fighting spirit :)

#15 ·

Lovely thanks for that :hug: ... I know that Gaby has to stay with Nico, there's nobody else that could take care of Nico or understand him like Gaby does, you've seen them working together and that's why you think like me that changing coaches isn't the solution.

Thanks for all as usual ;)

#16 ·

Gaby does take excellent care of Nico. And technically, he's a great coach. But sometimes change can spark something though in a player...even if its only in the short term like with Fernando and Stefanki. But I really don't want Gaby to leave Nico - I know Nico is in good hands with Gaby.

But really, it doesn't have anything to do with whoever his coach is. All of this comes down to Nico putting his mind into coming back. It's hard to explain but we all know what it is - the ability to be able to get something done by changing your attitude and becoming focused on just doing it. It's almost like something happens inside your mind where you become committed to whatever it is you are trying to do and you'll do whatever it takes to succeed in accomplishing whatever the goal is. Nico has to do that - be focused, get the hunger and desire back, and instead of focusing on the negatives, just doing what it takes to get it done. Not accepting losing anymore. Stop talking about it, and just doing it.

And you are right Lovely - 1,000 lashes for me for saying that Nico should consider finding a new career. We all have to stay positive and support him. :fiery:

#17 ·

Gaby does take excellent care of Nico. And technically, he's a great coach. But sometimes change can spark something though in a player...even if its only in the short term like with Fernando and Stefanki. But I really don't want Gaby to leave Nico - I know Nico is in good hands with Gaby.

But really, it doesn't have anything to do with whoever his coach is. All of this comes down to Nico putting his mind into coming back. It's hard to explain but we all know what it is - the ability to be able to get something done by changing your attitude and becoming focused on just doing it. It's almost like something happens inside your mind where you become committed to whatever it is you are trying to do and you'll do whatever it takes to succeed in accomplishing whatever the goal is. Nico has to do that - be focused, get the hunger and desire back, and instead of focusing on the negatives, just doing what it takes to get it done. Not accepting losing anymore. Stop talking about it, and just doing it.

And you are right Lovely - 1,000 lashes for me for saying that Nico should consider finding a new career. We all have to stay positive and support him. :fiery:
I'm going to quote this post of you NicoFan forever :eek: :worship: ... finally somebody else made you see the brighter side and it was not me!! :yeah: :rolls:

Nico will find his way up again!! he will do it!!!! :fiery:

#18 ·

I just feel so bad for him. :sad: It makes me so sad to think that he's so discouraged and nothing is going right. I wish someone could help him. It's great that Gaby and his fitness coach are doing all they can, but really it's up to him. But I know what it's like to be discouraged, but in the end, you can't give up.

Nico... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

#19 ·

you're right ... at the end you can't give up, it's like a good disease :lol:

Venga Nicooo!!!! :rocker2:

#21 ·

and I was talking about Nico too :rolls: ... hey Nico is already in Sopot, some MTF member is there and already saw him ;) the draw will be made tonight there it seems and I didn't create the thread because you're the one with the great titles so go NicoFan :yeah: :p

#22 ·

BUMP! :p

first step done, "new coaches" Pato Rodriguez and Nano Zuleta will help Nico the rest of the year... good luck to both :yeah:

#23 ·

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:bigcry:

What a nightmare...this can't be happening!!! :(

Pato??????????????????? He's SUCH an ASSHOLE!! :mad:

And Nano is a juniors coach.

WTF is Nico thinking???????????????? :confused:

#25 ·

I really have no more comments about this ... I'm so pissed off right now :sobbing: :shout:

Gaby I'll adore you forever :bigcry: :worship:

#26 ·
Re: Brainstorming To Find Nico A New Coach-Pato And Nano Won't Do In the Long Term!!!

I refuse to think of Pato as anything but a temporary coach.

The man is incapable of getting Nico back into the top 50 let alone get him back to the top of the ladder.

And Nano is a juniors coach. Totally unacceptable.

So it's brainstorming time.

What coaches are available right now????

I want Nico to get an American coach. Then he can train in Tampa at Nick's.

(I'm still so pissed at Nico for not taking advantage of Gaby as a great coach. :mad: And now acting as if this is all Gaby's fault by letting him go... :rolleyes: He shouldn't need to look for a great coach...he had one. :()

#27 ·
Re: Brainstorming To Find Nico A New Coach-Pato And Nano Won't Do In the Long Term!!!

I'm so pissed off that I can't even think for a new possibility, this wasn't the answer, the one that has the fault for his results is him and not his former coach, this sucks so much, we'll see the same stupid story as before, he'll win some matches and you could think that that's what he needed it and at the end he'll go down again and start complaining that he needs someone better than Pato :rolleyes:

I really want to kill him right now :fiery:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.