Mens Tennis Forums banner

Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2011 U.S. Open)

19K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  JediFed 
#1 · (Edited)
Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2011 Wimbledon)

In 2004, Wayne Ferreira established an all-time men's record with 56 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played.

Here are players who have not missed a Grand Slam tournament in the past 20 Slams (or better):

Player--Number--Streak Started
Roger Federer--48---2000 Australian Open
Feliciano Lopez--39--2002 Roland Garros
David Ferrer--37--2003 Australian Open
Fernando Verdasco--34--2003 Wimbledon
Tomas Berdych--33--2003 U.S. Open
Albert Montanes--30--2004 Wimbledon
Philipp Kohlschreiber--29--2004 U.S. Open
Nicolas Almagro--28--2005 Australian Open
Novak Djokovic--28--2005 Australian Open
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez--28--2005 Australian Open
Stanislas Wawrinka--27--2005 Roland Garros

Federer will need to play through the 2014 Australian Open to better Ferreira's record.

In 2008, Ai Sugiyama established an all-time record (among men & women) with 62 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played.

In 2008, Fabrice Santoro established an all-time men's record for total Grand Slam tournaments played (70 as of Australian Open 2010).

Here are the (male) players with the most Grand Slam tournaments played in the Open Era:

Fabrice Santoro 70
Andre Agassi 61
Jonas Bjorkman 58
Michael Chang 57
Jimmy Connors 57
Wayne Ferreira 57
Ivan Lendl 57
Mark Woodforde 55
Stefan Edberg 54
John Alexander 53

In 2006, Amy Frazier established an all-time record (among men & women) with 71 total Grand Slam tournaments played.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2005 U.S. Open)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...05/08/31/bc.ten.usopen.notebook.ap/index.html
Steady rolling

Dominik Hrbaty is at the top of the list in at least one category: playing in consecutive Grand Slam tournaments.

The native of Bratislava, Slovakia, is playing in his 36th consecutive Grand Slam tournament at the U.S. Open, way behind the record of 56 by Wayne Ferreira of South Africa, but by far the current pacesetter.

"I am happy that I have been very healthy for my career," the 15th-seeded Hrbaty said Wednesday after downing Italian Andreas Seppi 6-2, 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-2 in a first-round match. "I have always had problems, but never anything big."

There was an inflamed Achilles' tendon once, but Hrbaty doesn't think that was a big injury.

"I always follow doctor's orders," he said. "I take care of my body. And I sleep 10 to 12 hours every day."

#5 ·

:lol:
"Hrbaty will need to play through the 2011 Australian Open to better Ferreira's record"

Good luck! Smucav, was this research your own :D?

#6 · (Edited)

ae wowww said:
Smucav, was this research your own :D?
I originally compiled it for Wimbledon by using the chart in the 2005 media guide & updating with this year's info. Today when I saw the blurb about Hrbaty, it inspired me to update it through the U.S. Open.

Of the guys currently on the top of the list, The Fed is the only one young enough to have a real shot at breaking the record. (He would have to play through the 2014 Australian Open--age 32 1/2--to do so.)

Of course, Hrbaty could surprise us all by continuing to play another 6+ years. He'll only be 33 at the 2011 Australian Open. [Ferreira was a few weeks shy of age 33 when he played his 56th & last grand slam.]

#10 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2006 Australian Open)

both hrbaty & ferreira have similar games & styles & rely on conditioning & pyhsical stamina
great to see players that committed
can Dominators pass Wayne's record?
undecided

#16 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2006 Australian Open)

Shotgun Blues said:
Wayno makes it 28 in a row by entering Roland Garros a qualifier! :eek:
He appears to have qualified for Wimbledon as well!

#17 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2006 Roland Garros)

great Arthurs

he almost always starts GS from the qualifyings but always manages to qualify

#21 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2006 U.S. Open)

Ai Sugiyama and Elena Likhovtseva playing their 50th consecutive Grand Slam :worship: Elena's last one though :sad:

#22 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2006 U.S. Open)

This is a very interesting list. Can you develop a similar list for the TMS events? (a listing of players with longest TMS consecutive tournaments played; or alternately a list of players appearing in all 9 TMS events each year -- since 1990)?

#26 ·
Re: Consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments Played (as of 2007 U.S. Open)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080107.wspttebbutt07/BNStory/GlobeSportsOther/
Veteran Santoro will be in spotlight
TOM TEBBUTT
ttebbutt@globeandmail.com
January 7, 2008 at 7:58 AM EST

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA — Luckily for the tennis world, young Fabrice Santoro ignored the advice of a tennis coach who insisted he wasn't going anywhere hitting two-handed on both the backhand and forehand wings.

"I started playing at 6½, my papa was a tennis teacher," he explained yesterday at the Sydney International. "Watching him give lessons, I got a racquet and started to play. He said, 'If you want to play with two hands, you can play with two hands, no problem.' When I was 12, a coach told me, 'If you want to be a champion some day, you can't play with two hands.' Happily, I didn't listen to him. After that, nobody ever tried to change me."

Santoro, 35, will be in the spotlight at the Australian Open next week when he plays his 62nd Grand Slam event, eclipsing Andre Agassi's record of 61. He will also become the leader, among active players, with 38 in a row, taking over from Dominik Hrbaty, who has 44, but is injured and not playing.

"It's very symbolic in the sense that it means I've had a long career," Santoro said of the record, "and indicates a certain longevity in terms of ranking [he has been as high as No. 17 and in the top 62 a total of 16 years, including the past 11 consecutively] and fitness. Playing 62 Grand Slams means you haven't been hurt much. I've never had surgery. It's a record that means a lot to me."

The Frenchman, barely 5 foot 10, is a racquet wizard, changing the pace, spin and direction of shots in a way unique in today's game.

"For me, the best tennis is natural tennis," he said. "You really can't play if you try to go against what's natural.

"Don't forget that the best woman not too long ago played with two hands on both sides, Monica Seles. If she hadn't had the problem with the attack [Hamburg in 1993], she would have dominated tennis for a long time."

As a youngster, Santoro at least had a role model. "When I was a kid, people talked to me a lot about Gene Mayer [the clever American double-fister who ranked as high as No. 4 in 1980]. I actually once worked with Gene Mayer for a few weeks in New York."

About playing today's big hitters, 37th-ranked Santoro said, "the thing you have to avoid against those guys is backing up. What's important for me is to be on the defensive as little as possible, even if I know I'll be on the defensive a lot because I'll be forced to."

"I have to use my weapons to try to slow down the game, change the pace and make them play a little bit like me."

His sweet repertoire has flummoxed many an opponent, Marat Safin first and foremost. "Safin is often anxious and has broken racquets when he plays me," Santoro said. "But I've never really understood why. I think it's more psychological than the actual tennis." He is 7-2 against the volatile Russian.

Another Russian, Nikolay Davydenko, is his nemesis. He has not won a set (0-11) in their four meetings.

A highlight of Santoro's career was a 2005 U.S. Open night match in Arthur Ashe Stadium against Roger Federer. The Swiss won 7-5, 7-5, 7-6 (2), but the result was secondary to an enchanting display by two artists.

"To be truthful, more and more I think that spectators come to see a show," Santoro said. "Of course, when I play I want to win. [But] the people paid to see the match, and as a player, je me suis régalé [literally, I was regaled] and Federer had a good time. In the end, the loss was of no importance.

"We talked in the locker room 10 minutes later. It was incredible, we'd just been through a great experience. I've never played another match that was like that one, never."

It appears 2008 is his swan song. "There's a good chance I'll make it to 65 Grand Slams this year," he said, "but there's very little chance I'll play next year."

When asked about the best compliment he had ever received, he does not hesitate.

"It would to be from Pete Sampras when he called me the magician," he said. "Coming from him, it's something I'll never forget."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.