MensTennisForums.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: Tennis > Baseball Because.... Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
01-18-2013 09:48 PM
Slasher1985
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

[youtube]9bPWMo2cESo[/youtube]

Are they moving over here, cause I don't get it...
11-23-2012 03:20 AM
Freak3yman84
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
The closest tennis fatality that I can remember is the official who was hit by an Edberg serve to the groin, and the official died when his head hit the floor. I find baseball extremely boring and haven't watched it since grade school but nevertheless I'd rather face an Ivo Karlovic serve than a high school pitcher.
I'd never heard about that until now. Just read about it!
11-23-2012 03:14 AM
stewietennis
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

^

I don't believe that's an actual "Case in point". The original point which led to the discussion about serve speed vs pitch speed was that there's a much greater chance of getting hit with the ball in baseball as opposed to tennis; and the fear associated with getting hit with said projectile.

A baseball is aimed between the shoulders and legs of the batter and between one and five feet in front of them, when in batting stance. That's a pretty small space considering the pitcher is 46 feet away and throws at 90mph. A tennis serve is generally aimed at a box and preferably away from the returner:
- A batter has a high chance of being hit with 113.6N of force in a concentrated area when aimed wrong.
- A tennis returner has a low chance of being hit with 9.7N, even removing the speed loss during the first bounce.

Does the potential to get hit by a ball make baseball a manlier sport? Not really. However, overcoming said fear of potential injury shows some balls. A baseball player has died by getting hit on the head with a pitch. The closest tennis fatality that I can remember is the official who was hit by an Edberg serve to the groin, and the official died when his head hit the floor. I find baseball extremely boring and haven't watched it since grade school but nevertheless I'd rather face an Ivo Karlovic serve than a high school pitcher.
11-22-2012 04:29 PM
Mjau!
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
Go have someone hit you with a tennis ball at 90mph...you'll probably laugh it off. Now have that person hit you with a baseball at 90mph...if you don't know how to get hit correctly you'll probably break a bone.
Case in point. Baseball is "manly" because you could get hit with a freakishly hard ball going 90 mph!
11-22-2012 04:27 PM
Mjau!
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
Its not easy to receive serves and put aways either... And you can generate far more speed with tennis racket than your arm only...RPM as well. 90mph mentioned is laughable in tennis. Then on top of this superfluous "fear factor" you have stamina, endurance, dexterity, strenght, mental fortitude and intelligence that you need to be a tennis pro.
Umm, since when is intelligence a manly trait? Sports commonly viewed as manly are either agressive, "let's collide with or punch each other a whole lot" sports, or dangerous in some other way (preferably including the use of a machine with way too many horsepowers). In other words - STUPID!
11-22-2012 04:17 PM
Ajk822
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
Its not easy to receive serves and put aways either... And you can generate far more speed with tennis racket than your arm only...RPM as well. 90mph mentioned is laughable in tennis. Then on top of this superfluous "fear factor" you have stamina, endurance, dexterity, strenght, mental fortitude and intelligence that you need to be a tennis pro.
Go have someone hit you with a tennis ball at 90mph...you'll probably laugh it off. Now have that person hit you with a baseball at 90mph...if you don't know how to get hit correctly you'll probably break a bone.
11-22-2012 02:58 PM
156mphserve
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

You can get suspended for it though,if it starts a brawl but starting pitchers only pitch once every 5 days anyway so any suspension would have to be longer than 5 games to make any difference so nobody cares about that either
11-22-2012 02:56 PM
156mphserve
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I know nothing about baseball, but Official MLB rules clearly say that you can't do that intentionally (p. 75 - 8.02d).
Happens all the time, basically the equivalent of time wasting rule in tennis, its a rule but nobody cares
11-22-2012 09:59 AM
garad
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Its not easy to receive serves and put aways either... And you can generate far more speed with tennis racket than your arm only...RPM as well. 90mph mentioned is laughable in tennis. Then on top of this superfluous "fear factor" you have stamina, endurance, dexterity, strenght, mental fortitude and intelligence that you need to be a tennis pro.
11-22-2012 09:15 AM
Wing Man Frank
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I know nothing about baseball, but Official MLB rules clearly say that you can't do that intentionally (p. 75 - 8.02d).
Thank you Nixer, good work.
11-22-2012 08:59 AM
Nixer
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
If I'm being technical, there's nothing in the rules that explicitly says you can't throw the baseball at an opponent, there's just no benefit to it. And the experience I was referring to, since I'm guessing you haven't played baseball, is hitting. When you hit you are in a vulnerable position in that your focus is on hitting the ball, but you can also in turn be hit by it. When you're younger and haven't played as much those two can switch in importance. I for one remember being 10 and having a real kid pitching to me for the first time, and my only thought was "don't get hit, don't get hit, don't get hit." That's the fear I'm talking about.
I know nothing about baseball, but Official MLB rules clearly say that you can't do that intentionally (p. 75 - 8.02d).
11-22-2012 01:05 AM
GOATsol
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branimir View Post
Tennis never struck me as "manly" sport. I mean most tennis players look like nerds. Baseball is the sport I really don't like.
I disagree and I think tennis is extremely manly.
11-22-2012 01:01 AM
Ajk822
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Beating someone up is scary for the person being beaten up, and does that make the person being beat up manly?
Yes, if after he gets beaten up the first time he comes back for a second and gives more than he takes. The same as being afraid the first time you hit and not being afraid the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Last time I checked you weren't allowed to chuck a baseball at an opponent? Kinda makes your point moot doesn't it now?
If I'm being technical, there's nothing in the rules that explicitly says you can't throw the baseball at an opponent, there's just no benefit to it. And the experience I was referring to, since I'm guessing you haven't played baseball, is hitting. When you hit you are in a vulnerable position in that your focus is on hitting the ball, but you can also in turn be hit by it. When you're younger and haven't played as much those two can switch in importance. I for one remember being 10 and having a real kid pitching to me for the first time, and my only thought was "don't get hit, don't get hit, don't get hit." That's the fear I'm talking about.
11-21-2012 10:28 PM
Freak3yman84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
who cares OP. this is a tennis forum not a baseball forum, this does not belong in GM nor am I sure if it belongs on this site at all. debates of manliness of sports just show you're insecure freakygirl......
I hate you.
11-21-2012 10:12 PM
Mountaindewslave
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

who cares OP. this is a tennis forum not a baseball forum, this does not belong in GM nor am I sure if it belongs on this site at all. debates of manliness of sports just show you're insecure freakygirl......
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome