MensTennisForums.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-19-2013 02:14 PM
TBarm7
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvena Zvezda View Post
Do you all really think a tennis ball flying between 150 and 210 kmph can hit the net and dye just behind ?

If yes I hope you are not working as a calculator in military or industry !

Only a magician like Fabrice Santoro should be able to serve such a ball serve and he would deserve the point.

Big returner like Kolya or Nole can argue saying that affects the way of the ball but net can also makes the ball seed really slower and help returners on other points.

By the way in volley ball small serves is a tactic paying off (because at the top level with the latest rule of "libero" the worst receivers and better spikers are in the front line). Those dying serves are side effects of those small serves.
In tennis I never saw an actual small serve except maybe Chang Lendl in The French final.
Obviously you didn't watch the Challenger of Dallas because it happened on at least 3 occasions on center court matches that I called.
02-19-2013 01:00 AM
Crvena Zvezda
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Do you all really think a tennis ball flying between 150 and 210 kmph can hit the net and dye just behind ?

If yes I hope you are not working as a calculator in military or industry !

Only a magician like Fabrice Santoro should be able to serve such a ball serve and he would deserve the point.

Big returner like Kolya or Nole can argue saying that affects the way of the ball but net can also makes the ball seed really slower and help returners on other points.

By the way in volley ball small serves is a tactic paying off (because at the top level with the latest rule of "libero" the worst receivers and better spikers are in the front line). Those dying serves are side effects of those small serves.
In tennis I never saw an actual small serve except maybe Chang Lendl in The French final.
12-28-2012 04:33 PM
ciprianned
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/214105-worrying-times-lots-challengers-missing-2013-a.html
12-22-2012 01:17 AM
Timbo
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

It's a massively flawed idea because it removes a major aspect of the sport: that both players have an opportunity to win every point. People say there's no difference between winning the point by hitting the net and the ball dribbling over midway through a rally, and doing the same thing from your own serve. Well, there IS a difference...a massive one. The difference is that when it happens in a rally, both players have had the opportunity to hit the ball and win the point.
12-13-2012 09:45 AM
Litotes
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri89 View Post
The difference is that there are more lets on serve's points than during an exchange because the players have all the time they want to play with precision and with little margin between the ball and the net. So the proportion of net is higher. Moreover, a net on serve would be always a point for the server (otherwise the ball is out, and it's a second serve) whereas a net in an exchange can go to both direction (the hitter or the other player). So it's more unfair. (not to mention that this new "rule" is totally USELESS)
Always point for server? Hardly. Most of the lets I see are of the kind where the ball trajectory remains relatively unchanged. The amount of points where the serve would turn into a perfect drop shot is low indeed. With a high bounce on the net it might even set up the returner for a winner, provided he's quick on his feet.
12-13-2012 09:03 AM
Sombrerero loco
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

sad we dont have challengers in spain until march so i could see the new rule live
12-12-2012 09:43 PM
Henry Chinaski
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

High folks, user VH has put together some superb stats on previous seasons on the Futures and Challenger tour.

He's going to do the same for 2012 if there is any interest so go here and give him some encouragement please

http://www.menstennisforums.com/11-statistics/194062-main-tour-doubles-challenger-futures-stats-anno-2011-a.html
12-12-2012 04:01 PM
Pigpen Stinks
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarm7 View Post
So you're telling me that you wouldn't be pissed if on set point against you, your opponent clips the tape on a second set and it trickles over for an ace? During a point it happens all the time, but since its part of the game and has been a rule forever, we are use to it. Trust me, I have not talked to one player on tour since this rule was being discussed that is in favor of it. It was put in college as the "John Isner" rule, for cheating, but since D1 matches have chairs now, its not that big of a deal.
"John Isner" rule? Weren't lets eliminated from men's D1 four or five years before Isner showed up at Georgia? I thought it started in the late 90's. Anyway, the fact that most of the bigger matches have a chair umpire on each court means very little, as many of the umps are clueless. Men's D1 definitely made the right choice eliminating lets.

As for the pros, I'm typically a traditionalist and don't like to see rule changes. However, I can see some of the arguments is support of a change.
11-10-2012 03:35 AM
NyGeL
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

If they want, the should try this on Futures that lack of ball boys.
11-09-2012 10:34 AM
wtatourfan
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsilva View Post
What's the difference between a serve ball clipping the net and landing in on a break point or a forehand hitting the top of the net and "dying" over the net for a clean "winner"?? As a competitive tennis player myself, I really don't find this rule any offensive!!
agreed!!!
11-04-2012 10:55 PM
Sombrerero loco
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I like the rule. Should encourage more net duels, and let's face it.

What's the difference between a mid rally forehand dying on the net and a serve dying on the net?
i like your point
11-04-2012 10:47 PM
Adri89
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

The difference is that there are more lets on serve's points than during an exchange because the players have all the time they want to play with precision and with little margin between the ball and the net. So the proportion of net is higher. Moreover, a net on serve would be always a point for the server (otherwise the ball is out, and it's a second serve) whereas a net in an exchange can go to both direction (the hitter or the other player). So it's more unfair. (not to mention that this new "rule" is totally USELESS)
11-04-2012 10:08 PM
RonaldGomez
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I don't see the difference whether it's the first shot or the thirty-first, tbh. I think it kind of adds an unpredictability factor to the sport that helps.

And why should the serve have any special dispensation that any other shot doesn't have?
Well for me the current let rule is natural, I don't see the point of the new rule except creating frustration among players
11-04-2012 04:40 PM
nole_no1
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

The no let rule is retarded to say the least
11-04-2012 04:12 PM
The Prince
Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

I don't see the difference whether it's the first shot or the thirty-first, tbh. I think it kind of adds an unpredictability factor to the sport that helps.

And why should the serve have any special dispensation that any other shot doesn't have?
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome