MensTennisForums.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Today 03:30 PM
Bob Ibrahim
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

I agree, the next serious injury will toll the death knell for their illustrious careers.
Today 03:25 PM
Clay Death
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

people are not getting this:

the sport has become more demanding than ever before.


natural surfaces are far easier on the body.

roger and the clay warrior are not young anymore.

they also cant afford anymore injuries. just one bad injury now ends their career.
Today 03:20 PM
Clay Death
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

vast majority of injuries are incurred on the hard courts.

we simply have too many tournaments on the hard courts.
Today 08:58 AM
Secondeuce
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
Federer doesn't practice on clay at all (...)
Not only does he not practice on clay, he didn't practice the drills needed for clay movement this year. Pierre Paganini in a june 25th 2017 interview:

Q: Did you work on his fitness a lot during the last few weeks?

A: Just to keep and stimulate his form. He mainly plays tennis right now, we did the fitness basics earlier and left out specific conditioning for the clay season (...).

Q: Is there a difference to conditioning between the surfaces?

A: Yes, muscles and body don't work the same way on the different surfaces. The relation between movement and conditional factors is different. You need to prepare the body for that [the different demands]. On clay you need sliding, on HC you need to be more explosive, on grass you need to be balanced with little adjustment steps.


https://www.blick.ch/sport/tennis/fe...id6893959.html

From that interview I concluded that Roger never intended to play much clay, if at all, since they didn't even prepare for clay. He's clearly focussing his conditioning on other surfaces, unlike other years probably, where he still went for all surfaces. Fortunately for him and us it paid off big time.
Today 02:46 AM
TopFedFan
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
who said he has to worry about defeating the clay warrior on clay.


I just said that Roger needs to practice more on clay and less on the hard courts.
If he has no intention of playing any of the clay events due to the fact he is unlikely to win the big clay events now because of his age, knees and the clay warrior then why would he need to practice more on clay?

It just risks injury for no gain.
Today 02:37 AM
Clay Death
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

who said he has to worry about defeating the clay warrior on clay.


I just said that Roger needs to practice more on clay and less on the hard courts.
Today 02:29 AM
TopFedFan
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
No.

Federer doesn't practice on clay at all and he even practiced and trained on grass just a couple of weeks before the grass season started. He practiced and trained on hc almost exclusively and therefore you can see improvement in his ground game.

Playing on clay gave him wobbled knees.

All of this info he himself has said publicly.
I agree, plus Rafa is an insurmountable task for near-36 year old Roger on clay. It is a shame because on clay I think Roger has the best forehand dropshot in the business and he plays some beautiful stuff.
Today 02:26 AM
atennisfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
year around practice and training on clay can keep Roger healthy.

and keep his game sharp.
No.

Federer doesn't practice on clay at all and he even practiced and trained on grass just a couple of weeks before the grass season started. He practiced and trained on hc almost exclusively and therefore you can see improvement in his ground game.

Playing on clay gave him wobbled knees.

All of this info he himself has said publicly.
Today 02:12 AM
Clay Death
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

year around practice and training on clay can keep Roger healthy.

and keep his game sharp.
Yesterday 08:54 AM
Monsi
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikinglars View Post
5. The most important thing i have noticed about federer is not his backhand(people keep saying he improved it) nonsense then people have not seen federer since the beginning. He has always had a wonderful backhand, what have changed with Federer is in his mind. I have seen him drop many matches over the years where he was the better player(also against rafa on clay) because of his mind. But after his break something has changed, he does not give in to his own expectation or whatever it is( only he and his closest know for sure) but something has changed( The before the break Federer would have lost a few of the close matches he has won this year AO Nadal, kyrios miami and several more where he this year just have said i don't mind losing i go for my ultimate chance, which fx has meant that he has giving his backhand more chances thats the difference not that he has improved it. i also saw a little bit of the before the break Federer in wimbledon this year(because i think this he wanted the most and therefore the mind thing again). This is why i think Federer will win Us this year, he has no expectations. He can play completely free and this will make him extremely dangerous and for this reason a huge favorite for the us title.
Oh, he did improve it. It's faster, flatter and the most importantly - more consistent. But I do agree that "I have nothing to lose" mentality was the key to being able to take advantage of these improvements. No free head = no party. Since AO his clutchness has been nothing but fantastic. Which is kind of makes sense when you're oozing with confidence and your opponents are trembling. He must do everything he can to sustain this mindset. Then "wonderful things will happen".

As for the last attempt at RG title... I am pretty confident that as long as Rafa is dominating on clay (i.e. is healthy and fit), Roger would rather focus on another Wimbledon. He can't get both. There's no need for them to butt heads on each other's backyards. They can easily divide and conquer this weak field leaving Djokorrays and the rest far far behind. But of course, the future is unpredictable and the iron needs to be struck while it's hot. So for now Federer should make the best out of USO run and hope he'll get more opportunities next year.
Yesterday 08:10 AM
TopFedFan
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikinglars View Post
Hi Tennis lovers and topfedfan

well who knows, but fed and his team. But i really want to see him at RG one last time playing at this level and yes i think he has a realistic chance of winning it, if he can continue 2017 level of play. Topfedfan u are so clouded because it is fed, which i can understand being a huge fed fan myself, but if we take the neutral glasses on, he is a big favorite for winning the us open and i actually think he has a hugh chance of doing this, because of his new free mental state as mentioned before. But really I'm just very egoistic, i WANT FED to keep playing and winning of course as long as possible, because he is an artist when he plays and gives me an almost divine satisfaction. I really hope he will continue till olympic 2020 then stopping after YE in London. I might ask for too much but this is my wish.

Lars
Yeah I see your point and I also dream of a second RG win but physically I don't believe it is possible for both that and the US Open to be targeted. I think it is an either or scenario; one where a record sixth US Open is perhaps more attractive!
Yesterday 06:51 AM
wikinglars
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFedFan View Post
I agree with your analysis of how he targeted Wimbledon and therefore constructed his calendar to suit this, I actually think his strong start to the year was a surprise and not planned for. However, I do not think that he will target RG seriously.

I think after Wimbledon, he sees the US Open as his opportunity to win a slam and I think he would rather target a sixth title there, to hold the Open Era record, more than a second RG, which would have little implication for history except a DCGS. Realistically, this season and next season are going to be his final years in contention for larger events. Now if he wins the US Open this year, however unlikely I think that is, it then lends itself to really pushing for YE#1 and tying Sampras. A hectic schedule now along with his obligation to defend AO, IW and Miami next year does not help prepare for clay season at all. If he does not win the USO this year, he will prioritiseit next year and probably play a reduced schedule.

So either way, I do not see him tackling RG. The best we can hope for is that he targets maybe Monte Carlo or Rome, as he is more likely to progress further in a Masters and get ranking points. If he does get YE#1 he may well play clay and sacrifice the latter season to try and stay No. 1 as long as possible to put his total weeks well and truly out of sight (Novak is 80 weeks behind).

I'd also rather he target MC/Rome as they are the only gaps, though winning Hamburg as a Masters makes up for this a bit.
Hi Tennis lovers and topfedfan

well who knows, but fed and his team. But i really want to see him at RG one last time playing at this level and yes i think he has a realistic chance of winning it, if he can continue 2017 level of play. Topfedfan u are so clouded because it is fed, which i can understand being a huge fed fan myself, but if we take the neutral glasses on, he is a big favorite for winning the us open and i actually think he has a hugh chance of doing this, because of his new free mental state as mentioned before. But really I'm just very egoistic, i WANT FED to keep playing and winning of course as long as possible, because he is an artist when he plays and gives me an almost divine satisfaction. I really hope he will continue till olympic 2020 then stopping after YE in London. I might ask for too much but this is my wish.

Lars
Yesterday 02:57 AM
TopFedFan
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikinglars View Post
Hi tennis Lovers

1. Agree with several of u that Federer and his team have a good sense of his physical abilities in balance with his obligations and ambitions.
2. That said, i have since he skipped RG, had a feeling that his biggest dream was wim8, and if he got it that his 2nd biggest dream is RG2, so if his health permits i definitely think he will go after RG18, no matter Rafas condition, but we will see.
3. i definitely agree with most of u that his focus should be the slams and use the masters or lower obligation tournaments(stutgart, basel, ect)as warm up to the slams.
4. if i could decide his calendar next year-
AO
Dubai(probably has to, if not drop It)
IW
Rome
FO( he is too good a clay player not to try for a slam) what i have seen so far this season i think, he could pressure Rafa
Stuttgart(contract if possible drop it)
Halle
Wimbledon
Cincy
USO
Basel
WTF
12 tournaments with ok breaks 10 if he can drop the 2 minor tournaments- this his body hopefully would take for 2-4 years more. I have a feeling he will at least get 21 slams and i have had this feeling since after Australia and wrote it in another tread in april. Im definitely not a psychic but this number keeps coming up to me. we will see.
5. The most important thing i have noticed about federer is not his backhand(people keep saying he improved it) nonsense then people have not seen federer since the beginning. He has always had a wonderful backhand, what have changed with Federer is in his mind. I have seen him drop many matches over the years where he was the better player(also against rafa on clay) because of his mind. But after his break something has changed, he does not give in to his own expectation or whatever it is( only he and his closest know for sure) but something has changed( The before the break Federer would have lost a few of the close matches he has won this year AO Nadal, kyrios miami and several more where he this year just have said i don't mind losing i go for my ultimate chance, which fx has meant that he has giving his backhand more chances thats the difference not that he has improved it. i also saw a little bit of the before the break Federer in wimbledon this year(because i think this he wanted the most and therefore the mind thing again). This is why i think Federer will win Us this year, he has no expectations. He can play completely free and this will make him extremely dangerous and for this reason a huge favorite for the us title.

Lars

I agree with your analysis of how he targeted Wimbledon and therefore constructed his calendar to suit this, I actually think his strong start to the year was a surprise and not planned for. However, I do not think that he will target RG seriously.

I think after Wimbledon, he sees the US Open as his opportunity to win a slam and I think he would rather target a sixth title there, to hold the Open Era record, more than a second RG, which would have little implication for history except a DCGS. Realistically, this season and next season are going to be his final years in contention for larger events. Now if he wins the US Open this year, however unlikely I think that is, it then lends itself to really pushing for YE#1 and tying Sampras. A hectic schedule now along with his obligation to defend AO, IW and Miami next year does not help prepare for clay season at all. If he does not win the USO this year, he will prioritiseit next year and probably play a reduced schedule.

So either way, I do not see him tackling RG. The best we can hope for is that he targets maybe Monte Carlo or Rome, as he is more likely to progress further in a Masters and get ranking points. If he does get YE#1 he may well play clay and sacrifice the latter season to try and stay No. 1 as long as possible to put his total weeks well and truly out of sight (Novak is 80 weeks behind).

I'd also rather he target MC/Rome as they are the only gaps, though winning Hamburg as a Masters makes up for this a bit.
Yesterday 02:09 AM
atennisfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikinglars View Post
Hi tennis Lovers and a tennis fan

Im not an expert on the training technically part of the backhand and it might be that his physically training in post 2016 has improved his backhand for higher hitting some percentage but one thing i do know is how important the mentality and believe for a sportsman is. In football a common saying is that 70% mentality, 20 % talent (because many actually got talent) and 10 % luck is the combination for success . Federer has always had a great backhand(i must admit though that nadal match IW 2017 is the most insane backhand play i have ever seen him play) maybe its a combination of them both but without the improved freedom of mentally we have seen in federer he would not have won these matches anyway improved backhand or not, this much i know. Atennisfan i do not agree with u on one 1 point ur assessment on the new generations. There are many great players but we have maybe been missing a really good one, but they have played in the strongest era ever with no 1,2 and 4 of all time if we look at slams count alone. Not an easy time to play tennis i do believe. Federer, Rafa and nole are out of this world and that they have played at the same time for so many years has never been seen before and maybe never will. Its not been a lack of talent or that its been weak generations, they have just been that good and that it has happened in a time were sportsman generally gets older. (sportsmen peak when they are older are here to stay seen in many other sports), has just made their dominance last longer then usually. But what a time for us tennis lovers,we are so lucky

Lars
I totally disagree with your assessment that the current youngsters would have been a lot more successful in different Era (with corresponding court surfaces, technical technologies and sports medicine/training). If they were new balls generation, they would be second tier, behind Fed/Safin/Hewitt/Roddick/Nalbandian, etc.
OK, I'll remove Fed, and yet no chance in hell Raonic/Dimitrov/Nishikori/Tomic/Thiem are better than Safin/Hewitt/Roddick/Nalbandian/Ferrero/Coria.


Think about Kriek, Wilander, Noah, Edberg, Becker who all won their first slam when the previous top players were still playing: Borg, Lendl, McEnroe, Connors.
And we know how great Borg, Lendl, McEnroe, and Connors were.

This year should have been the year the youngsters make significant breakthrough. Federer had knee injuries and sat out last year, Nadal too albeit on much smaller scale, Nole was on continuous crashing, and Murray had burn out. Dimitrov and Raonic had a really good chance to win AO and Wimbledon this year. Dimitrov and Raonic just collapsed at AO, Thiem collapsed at RG, Dimitrov and Raonic collapsed again at Wimby.

Either physically, mentally, and/or technically, these youngsters are just not good enough.

You may say that it is hard to compete with Fed and Nadal.
But c'mon, Federer is much older than Laver's age the last time he won slam. Nadal didn't win RG for two years in a row.

Sure, Fed/Nadal are still playing great, but maybe part of the reason is that the younger generation are not good enough to impose their play thus allowing Fed/Nadal to play their (current/relative) best tennis.

Nadal's level of play was not that great after all in the clay season leading to RG. Only Zverev was able to seize the opportunity. Thiem just cannot play two good matches in row.

About the improved backhand thing, of course mental aspect is extremely important as I said in my previous post agreeing with you, but you can't be too confident of hitting great backhand consistently if you know you have not trained and prepared better for it. I can't remember where but there was an article reported how Ljubicic made Federer train the muscles that produced sustained strong backhand.
Yesterday 01:59 AM
Steelfin
Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

2014 was an outlier for me. Not only since he came back from injury but also because he was focusing a little too much on the Davis Cup. Also, he just started working with Edberg.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome