MensTennisForums.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: Harry Potter Thread Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
11-19-2012 11:37 PM
The Prince
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Thread deserves a bump.
11-10-2012 06:49 PM
tripwires
Re: Harry Potter Thread

What has elitism got to do with anything? It's elitist to not salivate over Harry potter and point out the obvious fact that the writing isn't sophisticated? Hilarious.

I read 90 pages of the first lotr book before I gave up. It cannot be emphasised enough how lifeless tolkien's writing is. For that reason, I don't consider it a literary masterpiece, but hey, I'm just being elitist.
11-10-2012 06:16 PM
Orange Wombat
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Both LOTR and HP are great books.

The thing is that the LOTR movies are a lot better. The three movies are great, specially the last one, while HP movies are acceptable or poor. Petr Jackson did a fantastic job, and the cast was ten times better than the HP one (Orlando Bloom, Ian Mackellen, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Benn, etc)
This
11-10-2012 06:06 PM
BauerAlmeida
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
NID what Mark Lenders would think like an elitist (I wonder if he has read the books?)I don't know how LOTR could be considered a literary masterpiece above Harry Potter. I like LOTR, but the writing quality isn't really that good aside from the songs, and the main interest is the setting. Is it because it is written in "old" style?

Well, everyone has opininons.

Both LOTR and HP are great books.

The thing is that the LOTR movies are a lot better. The three movies are great, specially the last one, while HP movies are acceptable or poor. Petr Jackson did a fantastic job, and the cast was ten times better than the HP one (Orlando Bloom, Ian Mackellen, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Benn, etc)
11-10-2012 02:36 PM
The Prince
Re: Harry Potter Thread

I really like those posters Wombat!

The ones for the first three books are really good, but for the last four books (she does two cartoon strips for the seventh book, like the films), she struggles to get all the key info into the posters as the books are much bigger. I still love the art, though. It's great.
11-10-2012 02:23 PM
Orange Wombat
Re: Harry Potter Thread

George, what do you think of this?

11-10-2012 02:19 PM
Orange Wombat
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Tripwires is correct for the most part and she has excellent taste in literature. The only point where I'd disagree is the idea/implication that fiction isn't real literature/can't be quite amazing literature. For instance, The Lord of the Rings is a literary masterpiece beyond any doubt. Not all fiction should be put on the same boat.

Agree about Harry Potter though - the only people who will even suggest such an atrocity as Harry Potter being a literary masterpiece are those who have not read much at all or people who definitely do not have a very sophisticated taste in literature (then again those people are the target audience of the books). It's an entertaining children series at best. It is not a classic by any means, let alone a masterpiece, and it's very doubtful whether it will stand the test of time.

I guess it can be a fun series to read for the masses, but it has not impacted/revolutionized literature as a whole in any way, and the writing is pedestrian at best. If you really think this is a literary masterpiece, my only conclusion is that you are either a huge fanboy or you seriously need to be introduced to some serious literature.
NID what Mark Lenders would think like an elitist (I wonder if he has read the books?)I don't know how LOTR could be considered a literary masterpiece above Harry Potter. I like LOTR, but the writing quality isn't really that good aside from the songs, and the main interest is the setting. Is it because it is written in "old" style?

Well, everyone has opininons.
11-10-2012 06:27 AM
Mark Lenders
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Tripwires is correct for the most part and she has excellent taste in literature. The only point where I'd disagree is the idea/implication that fiction isn't real literature/can't be quite amazing literature. For instance, The Lord of the Rings is a literary masterpiece beyond any doubt. Not all fiction should be put on the same boat.

Agree about Harry Potter though - the only people who will even suggest such an atrocity as Harry Potter being a literary masterpiece are those who have not read much at all or people who definitely do not have a very sophisticated taste in literature (then again those people are the target audience of the books). It's an entertaining children series at best. It is not a classic by any means, let alone a masterpiece, and it's very doubtful whether it will stand the test of time.

I guess it can be a fun series to read for the masses, but it has not impacted/revolutionized literature as a whole in any way, and the writing is pedestrian at best. If you really think this is a literary masterpiece, my only conclusion is that you are either a huge fanboy or you seriously need to be introduced to some serious literature.
11-10-2012 04:36 AM
Smoke944
Re: Harry Potter Thread

You are so pretentious trip
11-10-2012 12:36 AM
The Prince
Re: Harry Potter Thread

You believe I am the sort of person that doesn't bother to read to someone's post when responding directly to them?

I can assure you I am not, people who do that are very rude, though!

You've toned it down now, which is great, I guess?

At least you're not now comparing it to Britney Spears' music.
11-10-2012 12:24 AM
Topspindoctor
Re: Harry Potter Thread

I didn't slag off HP, I simply disagree with people who claim it's some kind of masterpiece full of hidden meanings, deep morality and engaging plot. If you bother to read my posts, I said that it was a book for kids and some adults didn't appreciate it When we grow up, our interests change, so it's weird to me that some grown up men/women still watch cartoons, read harry potter and discuss Lotr over lunch break
11-10-2012 12:11 AM
HKz
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Well, as demonstrated in my previous post, I've never played the game. I don't deny that what you say is true, most likely.

I'm sure you do develop friendships and relationships on there, but it's no different to any other internet link, right?

This is off-topic now, and to be honest, I don't care if doc plays the game or not. I just brought it up as an example, seeing as he was slagging HP off unfairly, imo.
Shouldn't be surprising anyways not like he has ever used logic and reason to dispute a point or has any courtesy or respect to even attempt to do so.
11-10-2012 12:08 AM
The Prince
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Well admittedly, I have played it in the past as I will occasionally play video games when I'm just beat and need some quiet time in my study, and video games like WoW certainly do require personal socializing rather than typing to each other especially since the gameplay requires such talking anyways, but regardless, naturally you begin to create friendships and the socializing can be almost as good as personal ones, but still it is a bit different.
Well, as demonstrated in my previous post, I've never played the game. I don't deny that what you say is true, most likely.

I'm sure you do develop friendships and relationships on there, but it's no different to any other internet link, right?

This is off-topic now, and to be honest, I don't care if doc plays the game or not. I just brought it up as an example, seeing as he was slagging HP off unfairly, imo.
11-10-2012 12:04 AM
HKz
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
No can do. Natural light hurts my sensitive eyes. I prefer the warming glow of a computer monitor



It's pretty good I played all the way since classic and now on 4th expansion
Don't need to explain it, it is quite obvious either way
11-10-2012 12:04 AM
Topspindoctor
Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
There are much more efficient and enjoyable ways to do this outside the home.
No can do. Natural light hurts my sensitive eyes. I prefer the warming glow of a computer monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I was about to ask the doc!

Is that game really even an average way to socialise? I don't think so, unless you like AI.
It's pretty good I played all the way since classic and now on 4th expansion, same character still, Rogue ftw.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome