Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's announcement that the knee injury he aggravated at Wimbledon will now rule him out of this year's US Open is a real shame for fans getting ready to watch the final Grand Slam of the year.
The 28-year-old has been out of action with the troublesome injury since he was unable to finish his second round match against Ernests Gulbis on day three at SW19 at the end of June.
He has been receiving treatment on the injury over the past six weeks and, at one point last month, it looked like he would be ready to resume playing in time to feature at Flushing Meadows.
However, he has now confirmed the US Open comes too soon for him during his rehabilitation as he does not want to take part if he is not 100 per cent.
Clearly, the last thing the world number eight wants is a repeat of what happened to him at Wimbledon.
Writing on his official website, the Frenchman revealed the disappointing news.
He said: "Today I have to take care of me and make sure I can play 100%. The thinking is simple. The doctors told me that it would be at least two months for my tendon to partially heal and five months to be completely healed.
"Two months takes me to the US Open. It would be stupid to go there knowing full well that I have no chance because I'm not prepared enough."
Tsonga is now targeting the ATP World Tour competition in Metz in his homeland, which begins on September 16, as his return date but tennis betting fans know that the US Open will be worse off
without one of the most powerful and entertaining players on the circuit.
As fans who bet on tennis with bet365
will know, he can match pretty much everyone else and the likes of Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic, and Rafa Nadal will be breathing a sigh of relief that Tsonga will not be joining them in New York.