The "Thanks for living down to our expectations Andy. Love ya!" clay thread (RG) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "Thanks for living down to our expectations Andy. Love ya!" clay thread (RG)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Montanes in the first round of Houston. Can't look past that :sobbing:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=99357

Black Adam
04-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Some just tell him it's DC and he will play like he did versus Berdych in Czech Republic.

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 09:34 PM
haha. yea as if. It's an awful awful draw :awww:

blosson
04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Why is that awful? It's seems ok to me.

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Montanes then Ramirez-Hidalgo? Their pictures are in the dictionary next to "Spanish Dirtballers"

blosson
04-06-2007, 09:46 PM
But isn't it Houston?

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Yes, but it's still clay :lol: Green clay this year, but still clay.

blosson
04-06-2007, 11:17 PM
The organisers will make sure it's hard green clay. Oh well, I guess we don't really expect Andy to collect many points in the next season anyway. Whatever he gets it's a bonus.

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Well the good news is that he probably won't play on Sunday, so he can rest a bit and get to Houston fully fit. I just like to see him do well there b/c he loves it there so much and it's the tourney's last year there. it's basically his hometown tourney and has had a ton of great memories there, so yeah. :)

J. Corwin
04-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Andy's game plan on clay this year: Stand as far back behind the baseline as possible. :banana: 10 feet for hardcourt, 20 for clay.
Where is the barfing smilie when you need one.;)

Tytta!.
04-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Andrew, what an awful draw. :awww:

Johnny Groove
04-06-2007, 11:34 PM
what are you talking about Deb? Andy is practically a dirtballer :rocker2:

Have you seen his loopy forehands and horrid court positioning?

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 11:36 PM

Have you seen his loopy forehands and horrid court positioning?:lol: This is true...

blosson
04-06-2007, 11:41 PM

Have you seen his loopy forehands and horrid court positioning?

perfect then :lol:

partygirl
04-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Well the good news is that he probably won't play on Sunday, so he can rest a bit and get to Houston fully fit. I just like to see him do well there b/c he loves it there so much and it's the tourney's last year there. it's basically his hometown tourney and has had a ton of great memories there, so yeah. :)
Then he'll definitely go out & lose the first match.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink027.gif

tennis lover
04-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Now I understand Andy's game plan from today's match! Nadal skipped the tie to prepare for the clay season, but Andy just did his preparation during the tie! :banana: :sobbing: Good multi-tasking Andy! :yeah:

and as for the draw...:shrug:!

laure xxx
04-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Heyyy former French Open Runner-up Verkerk is in the draw!

There is literally about 11 Argentinian/Spanish clay courters in that draw

PinkFeatherBoa
04-07-2007, 02:04 AM
:lol: Welcome back clay season!

Sean.J.S.
04-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Did somebody say clay? :bolt:

snaillyyy
04-07-2007, 03:40 AM
:tape: :o Hate to admit that I forgot Houston is coming right up.

jeahhh!
04-07-2007, 04:51 AM
:tape: :o Hate to admit that I forgot Houston is coming right up.

I did too.:o
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

NicoFan
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Andy won't have any trouble against Alberto even on clay. Alberto is a cute sweetie, but he can't match Andy's power.

And :secret: on clay you are supposed to stand further back.

I realize that it's a sin now for Americans to know any other surface than hardcourts, but historically Americans have done well on all surfaces....even clay (though it wasn't their best surface, they weren't horrific like now). It won't killl Andy and James to be all around players. ;) :lol: In fact, it may help them in the long run.

laure xxx
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
I think Andy's game is quite suited to clay. I mean, the loopy topspin forehand, the court positioning, the whole "volley" issue; and I also think his serve can be extremely effective on clay with the angles, etc.

And plus, fon't forget Houston is not really a clay tournament anymore with it's new surface - it's more like a slow hard court, which shouldn't be too difficult to handle. I predict that if he loses to anyone, it'll be Haas in the SF, which is better than what he did last year anyway. :D

NicoFan
04-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I think Andy's game is quite suited to clay. I mean, the loopy topspin forehand, the court positioning, the whole "volley" issue; and I also think his serve can be extremely effective on clay with the angles, etc.

I agree.

And as much as people make it seems as if there is a HUGE difference between playing clay and hardcourts that is untrue - especially today when most guys play a baseline game and utilize heavy topspin. Look at how little Nadal has to change going from surface to surface. I think that most of it is mental for the American men. Someone has convinced them a) that clay isn't important, and b) that they will have to change their game enormously to do decently on clay. Hopefully Mr. Connors will explode those myths for Andy.

Deboogle!.
04-07-2007, 03:18 PM
The difference is in the head, and that's a very very big difference in tennis.

NicoFan
04-07-2007, 03:26 PM
The difference is in the head, and that's a very very big difference in tennis.

It is .... but time to change that. I hope (wish/pray) that Connors knocks it out of Andy.

The non-American players know that they have to do decently on both surfaces. And they don't use excuses to stop them.

I know it's unpopular right now to champion all surface players in the States, but it's something that annoys me immensely. I love watching play on the different surfaces (even though I admittedly clay is my fav surface) - it's like the change of seasons. :lol:

I believe the reason we aren't reading many articles here in the US about de Villiers 2009 schedule plans is because it fits the new American philosophy of "hardcourts and only hardcourts". It's a shame - clay will go the way of grass and that's not good for the game - which is played world wide and not just in the US.

That's my rant for the day. :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I mean, they're never going to play Monte Carlo. James has already said so once, and Andy will surely not play b/c of his injury, even if he shows in Houston. Andy has given the season a fair go - he's played 2 of the masters events when healthy, in 2003 he played an optional event, he was crying when he had to pull out of RG last year. Andy's been unlucky with some injuries during clay season - last year he had a pinched nerve and hurt his ankle badly - but he was playing well in Rome up to that point. one year in Rome there was the fire, then he hurt his knee. in 2005, I believe he played both Rome and Hamburg b/c he was finally healthy. But then he still played poorly at RG

I just think the Americans' supposed hatred of clay is a little overexaggerated sometimes, at least for Andy. They're never going to play a lot of the optional events, just like the clay guys don't play any optionals in the US summer HC season. :shrug:

NicoFan
04-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I just think the Americans' supposed hatred of clay is a little overexaggerated sometimes, at least for Andy. They're never going to play a lot of the optional events, just like the clay guys don't play any optionals in the US summer HC season. :shrug:

Andy does try - and that's why I really started liking him. :lol:

It's not so much that they don't play during the European clay season - it's their results, and outside of Andy, their attitude towards clay. Which goes from the top down in US tennis.

partygirl
04-07-2007, 03:42 PM
-don't worry

:dance::dance: [sings]"Andy's going to win Roland garrossssss":dance::dance:

:p

arodfanpe666o
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't think that Roddick will play this tourney this year. I wish I'm wrong, but he won't be 100% fit and helthy to play a tounament without 1 or 2 weeks rest.

Any way, that is only my opinion:rolleyes:

arodfanpe666o
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't think that Roddick will play this tourney this year. I wish I'm wrong, but he won't be 100% fit and helthy to play a tounament without 1 or 2 weeks rest.

Anyway, that is only my opinion:rolleyes:

cobalt60
04-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Anyway, that is only my opinion:rolleyes:

That's ok :) I know Andy has a nice relationship with this tounament and with Mac who owns the club. I bet he does play and then skips Monte Carlo as usual :)

Jimnik
04-08-2007, 02:09 AM
My God. :eek: It's like they arranged the draw to give Andy the toughest possible route to the title.

But it's actually perfect. I mean Andy needs all the experience he can get against established clay players and if he loses early here it's not like he'll lose many ranking points. It would give him more time to recover and keep my dream (of him playing Monte-Carlo) alive. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Jimnik, he's not gonna play MC :sobbing:

Jimnik
04-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Jimnik, he's not gonna play MC :sobbing:
I'm slowly starting to realise this fact. :sad:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm sorry :awww: :hug:

am&a
04-08-2007, 04:09 AM
clay season puts me to sleep. |:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2007, 04:15 AM
|X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

must.breathe.

Sean.J.S.
04-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Why won't Andy play MC? :mad:

I wanted to watch it because I'm on holidays for the whole of MC for once. :mad:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Same reason as all the other years. :yawn:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2007, 05:51 AM
HAHAHAHA this made me laugh for some reason...
=================
Roddick's arrival is eagerly anticipated
Westside return is expected after Davis Cup success

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

What was good for the U.S. Davis Cup team Saturday was also, hopefully, good for the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships, which start Monday at Westside Tennis and Fitness.

When the Bryan brothers, Bob and Mike, did as expected and clinched the Americans' 3-0 quarterfinal victory over Spain, it ensured that Andy Roddick wouldn't have to get back on the court again at Winston-Salem, N.C. The "dead rubber" against Tommy Robredo today will be contested by Sam Querrey, Clay Courts defending champion Mardy Fish or Bob Bryan, although captain Patrick McEnroe confirmed that James Blake will play as scheduled against Fernando Verdasco.

"Probably while we're out celebrating tonight we'll figure out who's going to play that other match," McEnroe said. "I can tell you for sure that Andy is not going to be playing tomorrow because of his leg."

Roddick strained a hamstring in the Sony Ericsson Open quarters last week against Andy Murray and had to retire in the first set. It appeared to hold up fine in his straight-sets victory over Verdasco on Friday, a second match in three days might have tempted fate, especially if the outcome of the tie against the Spaniards had been hanging in the balance.

The 24-year-old American, who makes his downtime home in Austin, is Houston's top seed, the tournament's main drawing card and a three-time former champion. His close relationship with Westside owners Jim and Linda McIngvale ensured that he would make every effort to visit with the tournament moving elsewhere in 2008.

Still, hamstrings are pesky injuries and Roddick won't risk jeopardizing his season, a friendship and a hefty six-figure appearance fee.

ATP spokesperson Pete Holtermann said he "has no reason to believe" Roddick isn't coming but conceded that, until he's on the court playing, his status is "touch and go." Roddick faces Spaniard Albert Montañes in the first round, most likely Tuesday night.

"Knowing Andy, if he didn't intend to play he would have pulled out before the draw was made (Friday)," Holtermann said. "But he might get here and not feel comfortable on the clay. We'll just have to see."

With Germany also clinching against Belgium Saturday, the Clay Courts should be getting a reasonably well-rested Tommy Haas, too. The 2004 champion, seeded third behind Roddick and Blake, is expected to be given today off.

Rain forced the first round of qualifying for the tournament to be played on Westside's indoor hardcourts Saturday, but the second round will be moved onto the American green clay today, starting at 11 a.m.

One face familiar to Houston tennis fans advanced. Dusan Vemic, playing his eighth match in nine days here after winning the River Oaks International qualifying and reaching the quarters there Friday, handily defeated American Theron Cole 6-1, 6-2.

Sean.J.S.
04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Same reason as all the other years. :yawn:

And what is that? Sorry I've never paid attention to Andy's clay season before as it's not really worth talking about. :o

tennis lover
04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
My God. :eek: It's like they arranged the draw to give Andy the toughest possible route to the title.

But it's actually perfect. I mean Andy needs all the experience he can get against established clay players and if he loses early here it's not like he'll lose many ranking points. It would give him more time to recover and keep my dream (of him playing Monte-Carlo) alive. ;)
:hug: don't worry, I have the same dream! :sobbing: In Jo-land, Andy is going to play MC next year and I am going to do my best to go and watch him! :sobbing:

Havok
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Tough draw, but I'd rather him get this kind of draw when he's playing on home soil, and especially at the Houston tournament. If he does get through a draw like this, it's gonna give him confidence and it 'should' translate when he goes through his red clay Euro trip. If he can't get through this kind of draw at home, then Connors is gonna give him a beating. It's simple :devil:.

Deboogle!.
04-09-2007, 02:08 AM
I love your outlook, Naldo :haha:

GollyLou
04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
:sobbing: In Jo-land, Andy is going to play MC next year and I am going to do my best to go and watch him! :sobbing:

It's plausible considering he won't actually have a tournament he feels the need to go (and has ties to) to the week before. Though, it is Andy so playing MC... is doubtful.

otowngurl86apa
04-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Well I hate to have to post this but...
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-roddick-out&prov=ap&type=lgns

HOUSTON (AP) -- Top-seeded Andy Roddick withdrew from the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships on Monday because of a hamstring injury that he aggravated in Davis Cup play last week.

Roddick, ranked No. 3, injured his left hamstring while lunging for a shot in a quarterfinal match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Florida late last month and was forced to retire.

He said he "kind of tweaked it" again Friday in his Davis Cup win over Fernando Verdasco of Spain in Winston-Salem, N.C.

"Luckily, the adrenaline there was able to kind of get me through," Roddick said. The injury "is not one that heals in two days."

A doubles win by Americans Bob and Mike Bryan on Saturday gave the U.S. team a 3-0 lead and kept Roddick from having to play Sunday in a second singles match. The U.S. beat Spain 4-1.

Roddick has enjoyed considerable success at the Houston tournament, which is being played for the last time here this week. He played in five of the past six finals and won three.

Updated on Monday, Apr 9, 2007 4:26 pm EDT

GollyLou
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow. Andy actually appears to be using his brain. I hate that it's Houston he had to pull out of because he loves that tournament but I think he's doing the right thing.

otowngurl86apa
04-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I think so too.
Another article:
April 9, 2007, 3:34PM
Injury forces Roddick out of Westside's Clay Courts event

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email
Get section feed
Print
Subscribe NOW
Andy Roddick, the top seed and a three-time former champion, pulled out of the final U.S. Men's Clay Court Championsh ips at Westside Tennis and Fitness Club Monday because of a pulled left hamstring suffered in a match against Andy Murray 12 days ago in Florida.

Roddick played and won a Davis Cup match against Spain's Fernando Verdasco Friday in Winston-Salem, N.C., but admitted he "tweaked" the muscle early and got through "only on my adrenalin." Doctors have advised him to take a week to 10 days completely off from tennis.

"The unfortunat e thing about a hamstring injury is that it's one of the most susceptibl e to re-injury over and over," Roddick said. "At this point, instead of changing surfaces – you know how natural my movement is on clay in the first place – it would probably be best to make sure I get healthy."

He said his decision, although prudent medically, was especially disappoint ing because it's the last time the tournament will be played at Westside and he has developed a close friendship with the club's owners, Jim and Linda McIngvale.

"On a personal note, I'm not happy that I don't get to participat e in the last year," he said. "I've sort of grown up here. I've got a lot of good memories at this tournament and this club. It's been great. I'm just thankful I've had an opportunit y to play here a lot and thankful to the McIngvales for putting up with us for as long as they have."

Roddick flew into Houston from North Carolina Sunday night and will stay maybe through Tuesday, "doing whatever Linda (the tournament director) wants me to do." He'll then return to his home in Austin.

It's unclear when he'll play again – the Masters Series tournament in Rome the week of May 7 was his next scheduled event after Houston - but he said he's not yet prepared to concede the entire clay-court season, which culminates with Roland Garros at the end of May.

"I hope not," he said.

With the third-ranked Roddick out, second-seeded James Blake becomes the top player in the field at No. 9. Tommy Haas, who beat Roddick for the 2004 title, is No. 10.

Alexander Peya of Austria, Monday's "lucky loser" – the highest-ranked player not to advance from qualifying – will replace Roddick in the draw against Spaniard Albert Montañes Tuesday.

The 24-year-old Roddick won the Clay Courts the first two years it was held here, in 2001 and 2002, then won again in 2004. Last spring was the only time he didn't reach the final, losing to Haas in the quarterfin als.

He also reached the semifinals of both Masters Cup tournament s at Westside, in 2003 and 2004

Tytta!.
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
That sucks.

jeahhh!
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
That does suck poor Andy.

cobalt60
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
That's too bad :( Good for him playing Davis Cup :worship: Wonder if he will hang around Houston to do any PR or not :scratch:

partygirl
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
At least he won't lose.:):sobbing:

otowngurl86apa
04-09-2007, 10:10 PM
That's too bad :( Good for him playing Davis Cup :worship: Wonder if he will hang around Houston to do any PR or not :scratch:

It makes me wonder if he was ever healed in the first place, I know these things can take a long time to heal. I'm just glad he got through the DC match! Sounds like it. The end of the second article I posted said he was going to stick around until tomorrow night.

cobalt60
04-09-2007, 10:11 PM

:o :p

cobalt60
04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
It makes me wonder if he was ever healed in the first place, I know these things can take a long time to heal. I'm just glad he got through the DC match! Sounds like it. The end of the second article I posted said he was going to stick around until tomorrow night.

Hopefully Linda Mac will lead him around by the nose;)

tennis lover
04-09-2007, 10:30 PM
It's plausible considering he won't actually have a tournament he feels the need to go (and has ties to) to the week before. Though, it is Andy so playing MC... is doubtful.
:D Oh lord, you've given me hope now! :o :sobbing:

and yeah, it sucks about the injury but I'm glad he's doing the right thing rather than playing because he feels he has to. :)

Jimnik
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
"The unfortunat e thing about a hamstring injury is that it's one of the most susceptibl e to re-injury over and over," Roddick said. "At this point, instead of changing surfaces – you know how natural my movement is on clay in the first place – it would probably be best to make sure I get healthy.":haha:
Yes, we know. ;)

:D Oh lord, you've given me hope now! :o :sobbing:

Yup, me too. He's withdrawn from Houston and he's still on the entry list for MC.

Come on Andy, you know you want to. ;)

tennis lover
04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Yup, me too. He's withdrawn from Houston and he's still on the entry list for MC.

Come on Andy, you know you want to. ;)
well, it is more of a possibility for this year now I suppose, although I can just imagine Andy taking the extra week off and he might need the extra time anyway. But I want him to play there next year! :sobbing:

Jimnik
04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
well, it is more of a possibility for this year now I suppose, although I can just imagine Andy taking the extra week off and he might need the extra time anyway. But I want him to play there next year! :sobbing:
He desperately needs the clay matches if he wants to prepare himself properly but I just don't see him leaving home to play one or two matches in MC. Maybe the fact that he would get a bye to the 2nd round might encouage him.

As you say, he'll probably end up taking the next week or two off and then start practising. It would be slightly better if he could at least play a tournament the week before Rome, but that's not going to happen.

Havok
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Smart move. As much as he loves Houston, health always comes first. Even if the injury isn;t huge, there's no reason to play through it and make it even bigger and force you to sit out for god knows how long. Even if it's the clay court swing and a surface Andy detests, I'm sure he's pissed he'll be sitting out for the next couple of weeks.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2007, 12:18 AM
It makes me wonder if he was ever healed in the first place, I know these things can take a long time to heal. I'm just glad he got through the DC match! Sounds like it. The end of the second article I posted said he was going to stick around until tomorrow night.I'm sure that he wasn't. In fact, he never said he was. He said it was just good enough to play. And with the style he played that match (aka tons of running and little aggression), it's hardly surprising he re-tweaked it. Bummer b/c of the history he had in the tourney but all in all not a big deal.

But sorry, Jimnik, I'm SURE he won't play MC. First of all, if you read the article it says that he was told to take a week to 10 days off. That means no MC per doctor's orders if nothing else. Second, the article also mentions that his next scheduled tourney was Rome. So he was (as we all know) never planning to play in the first place.

anyway, if he heals for Rome, he'll be fine. But he needs to play Rome.

And this is certainly one of the most unflattering photos ever.

J. Corwin
04-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Maybe the fact that he would get a bye to the 2nd round might encouage him.

Beating bye on clay is not enough, not even for Andy. :p Or will it? ;)

I'm sure he'd rather stay home and beat up John at poker or something. :lol:

Sean.J.S.
04-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Why isn't the draw updates yet with Andy's withdrawal?

J. Corwin
04-10-2007, 12:39 AM
And this is certainly one of the most unflattering photos ever.

He looks he just got beat by Bye.

tennis lover
04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
I think I will laugh out loud every time I see that photo, Deb! :rolls: I already have done twice! :o

Sofyaxo
04-10-2007, 01:45 AM
At least the shirt is a pretty color.:o

Oh well, just another clay season.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Why isn't the draw updates yet with Andy's withdrawal?Tomorrow's OP is out, Peya is playing.

Fee
04-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Why isn't the draw updates yet with Andy's withdrawal?

Because they only update once per day, they will take care of it when all of the matches are finished tonight.

knight_ley
04-10-2007, 03:17 AM
He looks he just got beat by Bye.

:spit: :haha:

Sean.J.S.
04-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Because they only update once per day, they will take care of it when all of the matches are finished tonight.

Tomorrow's OP is out, Peya is playing.

Thanks. :)

partygirl
04-10-2007, 07:30 AM
-and this would have been the first year i could have actually watched it,
Can't he chair ump, or cheer lead or something?http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/whacky077.gif

...Guest appearence over some horrible TTC commentators:yeah:

adee-gee
04-10-2007, 08:34 AM
At this point, instead of changing surfaces - you know how natural my movement is on clay in the first place - it would probably be best to make sure I get healthy.
:spit: :haha:

MissFairy
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Ah, the silver lining! :p

Another year, another skipped MC...Shocker.

It's good that he's taking out the time to heal properly. I was worried that him playing in DC will worsen it, but it sounds like he re-aggrevated it which was bound to happen with such little down-time. Happy healing and Rome, it is! (:

Jade Fox
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Awwwww Andy.:hug:

It's for the best though. If he's gonna fullfill my Roland Garros dream where he makes the semis, then he needs to be healthy.;) :p

2moretogo
04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
No MC again! Oh well heal up Andy. He definately earned the rest.

tangerine_dream
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Why do I have the uncomfortable feeling that this hamstring injury is going to bother him off and on for the next several months? :scared:

Too bad he can't be there for Houston's last hurrah but health comes first and besides, clay is for girls. ;)

partygirl
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Why do I have the uncomfortable feeling that this hamstring injury is going to bother him off and on for the next several months? :scared:
J U S T. S T O P. I T!http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sick019.gif

partygirl
04-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Seriously, what are we going to do here for the next 10 days:explode::tears:

Jade Fox
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM

I dunno. Make fun of his claycourt skills?:devil: :p

partygirl
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM

knight_ley
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM

:haha:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
that used to be my av HAHAHAA I forget what the caption said, but it was one of my better ones :p
=================================
Post-Davis Cup Update

Posted By Andyroddick.com Staff On 11th April 2007 @ 03:08 In Front Page Stories, Spreen Says | Comments Disabled

Doug Spreen updates us on the latest from Team Roddick:

“Wow what a great weekend we had in Winston-Salem. The US Davis Cup Team (Andy, James, and the Bryans) all steped up and played some great tennis. It was a very focused group all week and they went out and took care of business. We are now in the Semi-finals this year and will play Sweden in September. I think I speak with everyone associated with the Team and can say that we all wish we did not have to wait till September to play the semi-finals. There also is no doubt that the city of Winston-Salem did a great job of hosting the Davis Cup match. Over 14,000 packed the arena each day for the matches and it was one of the best atmospheres I have ever been in for a tennis match. It was an awesome crowd and they were great in helping pull our guys through.

Andy played a very good match on a left leg that was not 100%. After straining his left hamstring muscle during his quarterfinal match it was 10 days of treatment and hard work to get ready for the match. It was a great effort by Andy to pull things together and play tennis like he did. As many of you have heard And pulled out of the Houston Tournament. The decision was made because Andy would be in danger of making the injury worse by trying to play 3, 4 or even 5 matches in a week. Andy will spend this next week, resting, getting treatment, and working on things to make the leg strong. Andy should be back to practicing and on the court in the next week to 10 days.”

jeahhh!
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Doug!!!!!:D:D:D:D

MissFairy
04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I dunno. Make fun of his claycourt skills?:devil: :p
That would be far too easy :p

:haha: The camera loves him, clearly!

arodfanpe666o
04-11-2007, 07:38 PM

If he is ready to play after 10 days:confused:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2007, 07:44 PM
He won't be ready to play a tourney, but hopefully he'll be healed and ready to hit, so that he can play Rome :)

knight_ley
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I know this might have already been discussed, but it's the first I've heard about it... Why is Houston moving? And where is it moving to? :shrug:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Read the thread in the tourney forum, it will answer your questions ;):)

knight_ley
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
:lol: If I had half a brain I would have though of that. :p

Jimnik
04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, at least he got his injury early in the clay season, unlike last year. :(

He was always going to miss MC but at least now he won't miss Hamburg and Dusseldorf - I'd love to see him play in those two events.

Deboogle!.
04-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Pretty sure he won't attempt Dusseldorf again this year... well put it this way, I'd be surprised if he enters.

GollyLou
04-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Pretty sure he won't attempt Dusseldorf again this year... well put it this way, I'd be surprised if he enters.

Me too, considering the injury he ended up with last year.

tennis lover
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
so rome, Hamburg and RG it is then hopefully! :D at least that's almost all of the important ones! :banana:

Jade Fox
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
That would be far too easy :p

Yeah, true.

Okay, how about this? How about we sit on a large ass couch, and laugh at the inevitable Fedtards vs. Rafatards war that's bound to break out on GM considering that it's clay season and Rafa's looking to maintain dominance and Roger's gunning for Roland Garros?

I'll pay for the popcorn.:p :devil:

partygirl
04-12-2007, 12:59 AM
tell me more about this couch.:aplot:

Sofyaxo
04-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Can the big ass couch be Andy's ass? I'm sure it will seat enough people.

knight_ley
04-12-2007, 02:55 AM

Yea I heard from a friend today who has close ties to it that there is no expectation from anyone for him to show up. I think the world would be shocked if he did. Apparently it's going to be James, Mardy & the Bryan boys...

arodfanpe666o
04-12-2007, 05:20 AM
so rome, Hamburg and RG it is then hopefully! :D at least that's almost all of the important ones! :banana:

Yes, hopefully.But I don't think he'll play Hamburg.He has not played there 2006 and 2005, so I think he will play only Rome and RG.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 05:27 AM
he played Hamburg in 2005.... he just lost in the first round :o

i remember the match, it was right after i got TTC, and I remember the "dropshot" he "attempted" match point down :sobbing:

arodfanpe666o
04-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Yes, he lost to Massu, now I remembered.;)

Jade Fox
04-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Can the big ass couch be Andy's ass? I'm sure it will seat enough people.

Sure, why not? It's not like he'll be using it in the next few days.:devil:

partygirl
04-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Healing is work:drink::boxing:

Jade Fox
04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Healing is work:drink::boxing:

Yes it is. Us sitting on Andy's ass while laughing at the Tards will do him a lot of good I think.;)

MissFairy
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah, true.

Okay, how about this? How about we sit on a large ass couch, and laugh at the inevitable Fedtards vs. Rafatards war that's bound to break out on GM considering that it's clay season and Rafa's looking to maintain dominance and Roger's gunning for Roland Garros?

I'll pay for the popcorn.:p :devil:
I never say no to popcorn :p

I think i remember that, Deb :sobbing:

merce
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
that thread title is too true :awww:

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
:awww: :scratch: This article confuses me, because if andy was THAT hurt, he sure as hell jumped around on Saturday like he wasn't. I know Charlie Bricker is a good writer but he has been wrong about stuff in the past. It just seems very melodramatic.
=================================
BRICKER: Roddick's Cup fervor costly

Charles Bricker
Sun-Sentinel

April 12, 2007

Andy Roddick is limping, his hamstring is swollen and he's going to be out up to three more weeks.

He'll announce, perhaps today, that he's withdrawing from Monte Carlo, which begins Monday. He'd already pulled out of this week's U.S. Clay Court Championships in Houston, where he had a six-figure appearance fee guaranteed.

That money, estimated at $200,000, was his if he didn't play Davis Cup last week, but Roddick's decision to play against Spain says quite a lot about his commitment to winning the Cup for the United States for the first time in 12 years.

The injury first occurred in the opening set of his match against Andy Murray at the Sony Ericsson Open on Key Biscayne. He quit the match, knowing that if he somehow won, he'd never get through the rest of the tournament, and because he wanted to be able to play Davis Cup a week later.

When he arrived in Winston-Salem, N.C., he knew the strong chances of reinjuring the hamstring and he didn't just ``tweak'' it, as some have suggested, in the second set against Fernando Verdasco last Friday. It was bad enough that he could not have played the reverse singles on Sunday against Tommy Robredo had the Bryan brothers somehow lost Saturday's doubles.

They won, clinching the tie and sending the United States into the semifinals against Sweden, Sept. 21-23, and giving the U.S. a strong chance of winning and hosting a Davis Cup final if Russia defeats Germany. If Germany wins, the United States would be on the road, assuming a win over Sweden.

If Roddick can run, he'll be there. He has made Davis Cup a priority that could only be exceeded by his desire to win Grand Slams. He's going to try to get back on court at Rome, May 7-13. Roddick hasn't been on clay since last year, and he needs to prepare for the French Open (May 27-June 10).

The plan is to start training by late April with Jimmy Connors, and the month after that is going to be exciting. Connors has so much to impart to Roddick, and you could make an argument that he'll be the best clay-court coach Andy has ever had.

Connors was 154-38 lifetime on clay (red and green), reached four semifinals at the French Open and, in 1976, was 25-0 on dirt, including the title at the U.S. Open, which was played on clay at Forest Hills.

kristanmichelle
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM
This article confuses me, because if andy was THAT hurt, he sure as hell jumped around on Saturday like he wasn't. I know Charlie Bricker is a good writer but he has been wrong about stuff in the past. It just seems very melodramatic.

It does have a melodramatic tone, but the limping and swollen hamstring part may be true. Hamstrings are large muscles and using injured hamstrings is a bad idea because the strength of the muscle can aggrevate the injury. This could include running around a tennis court, or something rather silly like jumping around. He probably exacerbated the problem and limping as a result. If the hamstring is hurt at all, it is swollen. How swollen is the issue. Is it seen with the MRI or visually? That will depend on the severity of the injury.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
My point was just that if he was really that sore Saturday morning after the match, jumping around the way he did was WICKED STUPID :o

kristanmichelle
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
My point was just that if he was really that sore Saturday morning after the match, jumping around the way he did was WICKED STUPID

It certainly was, no matter what he felt like.

It's possible he felt "decent" and then did something dumb (read: mimicking pogo stick) and regretted it later. Unfortunately, I have done that before.

Either way, bad plan.

Edit:
WICKED STUPID

I just love the phrase you used. :)

merce
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
well, he withdrew from Houston and DC is a proirity

maybe he just made a huge effort while still recovering :o

GollyLou
04-12-2007, 04:50 PM
My point was just that if he was really that sore Saturday morning after the match, jumping around the way he did was WICKED STUPID :o

:shrug: Maybe it was, but I've had injuries before that have felt okay until I've actually done something. It's possible that he was just excited and the adrenaline took away the soreness and then he regretted it later. Stupid, probably but everyone gets caught up in it every so often. :)

Sofyaxo
04-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Aww it makes me happy when someone outside of Boston says that.:)

He could have just gotten carried away.

Personally I'd go with Andy getting carried away and the article being a little over the top.

Deboogle!.
04-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Aww it makes me happy when someone outside of Boston says that.:) I'm outside Boston only physically :) Personally I'd go with Andy getting carried away and the article being a little over the top.that's why I suggested the article was melodramatic.

I mean, it's nothing compared to, say, saying you're hurt, continuing to play in one tourney, skipping DC, and then playing an exhibition.... :lol: :haha:

Jade Fox
04-13-2007, 12:29 AM
I mean, it's nothing compared to, say, saying you're hurt, continuing to play in one tourney, skipping DC, and then playing an exhibition.... :lol: :haha:

Damn. Now who on earth would do something like THAT?;) :p

Deboogle!.
04-13-2007, 12:33 AM
:scratch:

:shrug:

:silly:

partygirl
04-13-2007, 01:50 AM
The plan is to start training by late April with Jimmy Connors, and the month after that is going to be exciting. Connors has so much to impart to Roddick, and you could make an argument that he'll be the best clay-court coach Andy has ever had.

Connors was 154-38 lifetime on clay (red and green), reached four semifinals at the French Open and, in 1976, was 25-0 on dirt, including the title at the U.S. Open, which was played on clay at Forest Hills.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy062.gif
:yippee:
:yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Larah guess who i saw today:)

partygirl
04-13-2007, 02:17 AM
:o:lol:

Sofyaxo
04-13-2007, 04:30 AM
I'm outside Boston only physically :) that's why I suggested the article was melodramatic.

:lol:

Oh butt boy is always hurt.

Merton
04-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Andy will do what is best for him, I just hope he is back in full form at Rome.

Fumus
04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I have been out of things for awhile. But it's too bad Andy is always hurt...

Deboogle!.
04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Ryaaaannnnnnnn can you go to the sam forum and change the title of that thread pleeeeeeeeeease :lol:

kaylee
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah but hamstrings are hard things to heal and you don't want to be slipping and sliding with a sore thigh. It hurts!

tangerine_dream
04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
The Men's Clay Court Championships may be moved to Charleston as a combined or back to back tournament for the Family Circle Cup :yippee:

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/Stories.aspx?section=sports&tableId=139549&pubDate=4/18/2007
Family Circle site draws interest for U.S. Men's Clay Courts
USTA ponders the possibility of combining men's tournament with Family Circle Cup
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
BY JAMES BECK

Is Family Circle Tennis Center seriously and financially interested in staging a men's tennis tournament as a combined or back-to- back event with the Family Circle Cup?

That appears to be the question as the U. S. Tennis Association contemplates the future of its $416,000 U. S. Men's Clay Court Championships that just completed its seventh year in Houston while the Family Circle Cup held its seventh event on Daniel Island.

The USTA appears to be eager to put the Family Circle site on the front burner, because of its world-class 10,200-seat stadium and the possibility of combining the Clay Courts with the women's Family Circle Cup.

"I really think that (a combined event) would be the ideal setup," said David Brewer, the USTA's senior director of pro tournaments, said Tuesday afternoon from Carson, Calif. "A combined event has an allure of its own. We like combined events. They create a lot of excitement."

The USTA already puts on a combined men's and women's one-week summer event in New Haven, Conn., as part of the U. S. Open Series, as well as has a partnership in the two-week combined event at Indian Wells, Calif.

Brewer indicated that the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's Roadmap 2010 could influence Family Circle's decision since the Family Circle Cup will become a Premier 20 event in 2009 rather than keeping its current designation as one of 10 Tier I events on the tour.

"But we can't say if it (a combined event) is really a good stategic fit for them ( Family Circle) or not," Brewer said. " We need to see if these guys (from Family Circle) are serious or not. The decisionmaking is going to happen pretty quickly. We've given ourselves until the end of April to make the decision.

"We know the folks who run the event. We know the facility," he said about Family Circle Tennis Center, which served as a Davis Cup semifinal site in 2004.

Brewer expects to conduct more talks with Family Circle Cup tournament director Robin Reynolds and Nancy Weber, a vice president of Family Circle parent Meredith Corp. "We want to talk with Robin and Nancy no later than tomorrow," Brewer said. Reynolds was unavailable for comment Tuesday evening.

Arlen Kantarian, the USTA's chief executive of pro tennis, met with Family Circle officials over the weekend while attending the Family Circle Cup, according to Brewer.

Brewer said that for Family Circle to hold a combined event the complex would "need to add a couple of courts and locker room facilities."

Atlanta and Ponte Vedra, Fla., already have submitted bids to serve as hosts for the Clay Courts, while Winston- Salem, N.C., and a different Houston site are expected to turn in their bids before the end of the week.

The USTA owns the Clay Courts' tournament week on the ATP men's tour and is requiring a $ 250,000 yearly licensing agreement for five years as part of the bidding process. Brewer said the

"We need to see if these guys (from Family Circle) are serious or not. The decisionmaking is going to happen pretty quickly.

We've given ourselves until the end of April to make the decision."

USTA set its April deadline for a decision to allow time to present a proposal to the ATP Tour at its next board meeting, which will be held at Wimbledon in late June.

The U. S. Clay Courts were held at Wild Dunes Racquet Club in 1988 and 1989, showcasing then-young players such as Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang.

After Hurricane Hugo damaged Wild Dunes in September 1989, the spring event was moved to Kiawah Island for 1990. It then left the Charleston area and ended up seven years ago at Houston's Westside Tennis Club.

Citing financial losses, Westside announced several months before this year's Clay Courts it would discontinue its relationship with the tournament. Ivo Karlovic of Croatia won the singles title Sunday of a tournament that featured James Blake and Tommy Haas. Andy Roddick withdrew because of an injury.

While in Houston for the Clay Courts, Brewer met with officials from the River Oaks Country Club, which already holds a $3,000 non-tour men's event. River Oaks is in the process of submitting a bid.

According to Brewer, WinstonSalem is expected to make a bid that includes construction of a new clay-court facility and stadium court near Joel Coliseum where the recent sold- out U. S.- Spain Davis Cup tie was staged.

Atlanta's bid is based on holding the Clay Courts in Duluth at the old site of the AT& T Challenge, using a temporary stadium. Ponte Vedra, which is headquarters for the ATP Tour as well as the PGA Golf Tour, also would construct a temporary stadium.

MisterQ
04-18-2007, 04:55 PM
The Men's Clay Court Championships may be moved to Charleston as a combined or back to back tournament for the Family Circle Cup :yippee:

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/Stories.aspx?section=sports&tableId=139549&pubDate=4/18/2007

On first glance, that sounds like a cool idea. :yeah:

tangerine_dream
04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
^^ It does sound cool. It would be the perfect excuse for me to get my butt down to Charleston finally. :lol:

From SI mailbag this week:

This is my second mail on this topic. I just like your opinion on why the ATP is not talking about downgrading at least one of four North American Masters Series, but two in Europe?-- Bukky, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan :baby: :baby:

Again, simple economics. If those events outdrew Indian Wells or Key Biscayne or Canada, the downgrading would be different. I would add that it's imperative that tennis have a beachhead in China (a country scheduled to receive a Masters Series event.) It is less imperative tennis have a beachhead in Monaco.

Several of you also asked why there remain no Masters Series events on grass. As I understand it, there are certain specifications a venue needs in order to host a Masters Series event (minimum capacity seating, an array of cameras angles, space for TV trucks, etc.) There are simply no grass court complexes that meet the criteria.

:worship: to Cronin for defending the Americans:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/famed_de_villiers_041607.html
NO AMERICANS IN MONTE CARLO: Now here's Ljubicic cracking Americans for no showing in Monte Carlo (again). James Blake and Andy Roddick are tired and injured, but no word as to why Mardy Fish and Robby Ginepri didn't make it. It's presumed that Fish is injured again. "The Americans never come here," the Croat said. For us it's not easy to go to Key Biscayne and Indian Wells, playing two tournaments in two weeks," he said.

While there should be at least one American in Monte Carlo, Ljubicic is barking up the wrong umpire's chair. Playing Indian Wells and Miami back to back in a three-and-a-half-week commitment. If an American goes to Monte Carlo and stays in Europe through Wimbledon, that's nearly three months. Moreover, it's not like most of the major players come to the US way before the US Open. For players like Federer and Nadal, its TMS Canada and Cincy and the Open - that's it.

:hatoff: again to Cronin for bashing that Russian toad, Nikolay (and Mr DeVillan):

FLAMED
ETTIENNE DE VILLIERS: How can man so new to the sport lose the support of nearly all the top players, numerous tournament directors and some important ITF folks in just a year? ET needs to take a step back, reconsider his actions and move forward this time with the support of a few critical sectors.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Bone-headed comment of the week goes to the Russian, who when asked about the South African de Villiers, said "ET says 'trust me' like all Americans. He wants too much trust; you can only believe five or ten percent of his decisions." That's some heavy stuff coming from a guy whose nation's government spent most of the last century lying to its own people.

And yet more questions about Americans/MC from Peter Bodo's chat today (WTA related questions were deleted by me because they were boring. Kept the ATP related stuff :p )

Peter Bodo ESPN Chat, April 18

Sean (Cyprus): With the 63 clay win streak going,does that make Nadal in odds on favorite to win the French?

PETER BODO: Sean, you didn't just fall off the turnip truck did you? Sure anyone who does not make Nadal the favorite at this point has a screw loose. But remember the clay court season is very long, and fitness ultimately becomes an issue for those guys who get consistent results. The main concern for Nadal fans has to be his lingering foot problem and groin strain, and whether or not these will become issues on the long and dusty road to Paris.

Dan (Washington, DC): Why do Americans never play Monte Carlo? They play other clay court Masters events.

PETER BODO: I think they feel it is too early for them to be getting the clay court experience for the French Open. I think the american players prioritize the hardcourt events and need to be dragged kicking and screaming to the clay. This has become the MO for U.S. players and I think it sets a lousy precedent. The other thing to keep in mind is that the Monte Carlo field is usually loaded, and if a player were to target an event where he would be more likely to pass a few rounds he maybe be looking a bit further on the calendar. Note how Nadal and Federer both pulled out of Humburg after they played that marvelous Rome final last year. Another thing to keep in mind is that below Matser Series events, many tournaments ofeer gurantees and a fairly relaxed and temperate environment for practicing and getting match-play on clay. The Esteril event, by the way, gets a nice turnout featuring lots of good if not great players, in a really appealing, comfortable, setting. Unless you have big ambitions on clay, or in the hunt for major ranking points, you could do a lot worse than get your clay court game in shape for Paris at a tournament like Esteril.

Sam (Arlington, VA): Hey Pete - What do you think of Federer's comments on the Masters Series status of Monet Carlo and Etienne de Villiers? He said something about a meeting with de Villiers being a "big dissapointment" for us all........

PETER BODO: Sam it seems like Mr. de Villiers has been under a lot of heat lately, not all of it justified in my opinion. The ATP brought him in with an eye on reexamining their entire tourney structure and approach. Note that this was partly done because the sport has been somewhat stagnant despite the undeniably encouraging emergence of players like Nadal and Federer. In the big picture, my gut feeling, after having talked to a lot of people in the game about this issue, is that tennis needs a more sensible, structured organization and apporach. Now Monte Carlo is a terrific, traditional, historic event. But as a tennis environment changes, does Monte Carlo have to enjoy some kind of "protected" status? The warning bells here go off when players defend tournaments simply because they have always played them and are quite happy wqith the status quo.

The fact is the status quo has not been growing the game, and while I would not blame Monte Carlo for that, I am also in the camp that believes that traditional loyalties should not be the determining factor in what events and geographic regions the tour chooses to support. Let's put thsi another way, you have Monte Carlo, Humburg, and Rome all as Master Series events that are part of the road to the French Open. They take place in a very small geographic area. Would it be an insult to tradition, or harmful to the game if say, Buenos Aries had a Master Series event? Logistically this is not an appealing option, but the fact is that the tour is still organized in a very traditional way and it is legitimate to question whether those who were there first should have perpetual reserved places at the table. And also keep in mind that nobody want to eliminate Monte Carlo, in fact, Monte Carlo would probably still retain a great deal of its status if it were demoted from Matsers status because of its tradition. The bottom line is you cannot make everyone happy, which means you have to choose between doing the right thing for the game or appeasing those who have always had postions of previlage in it.

John: Andy Murray broke into the top 10 this week, will this be short lived, or will he be motivated to sta in the top 10 and maybe get on a little hot streak here?

PETER BODO: You know John I think he has been on an extended hot streak with a few valleys here and there. I see him as a top five guy who is still on the upswing, so the suggestion, real or implied, that he may be floating in and out of the top ten, kind of sells him short. If you look at the young generation of players who are excpected to pressure Roger during the big events this year only two of them stand out as legitimate contenders, they are Murray and Djokavic, the rest of them, IMO, are flakes, pretenders, or half-formed competitors. I mean, how long are people going to sit around wating for a Tomas Berdych, or even Marcos Baghdatis to start playing consistent high level tennis?

Sofyaxo
04-19-2007, 06:09 AM
NO AMERICANS IN MONTE CARLO: Now here's Ljubicic cracking Americans for no showing in Monte Carlo (again). James Blake and Andy Roddick are tired and injured, but no word as to why Mardy Fish and Robby Ginepri didn't make it. It's presumed that Fish is injured again. "The Americans never come here," the Croat said. For us it's not easy to go to Key Biscayne and Indian Wells, playing two tournaments in two weeks," he said.

Then don't play one of them and shut up. Okay I know it's not that easy, but I'm mad that the want to get rid of MC is getting placed on the fact that the American's don't play it. They aren't the only ones that pulled out!

And um it's not like the American's don't play Key Biscayne and Indain Wells back to back.

Grr.

laure xxx
04-19-2007, 12:12 PM
"NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Bone-headed comment of the week goes to the Russian, who when asked about the South African de Villiers, said "ET says 'trust me' like all Americans. He wants too much trust; you can only believe five or ten percent of his decisions." That's some heavy stuff coming from a guy whose nation's government spent most of the last century lying to its own people. "

I agree that Kolya's comment was idiotic, but was it really necessary for Cronin to put in that last sentence? The US gov is lying to their people as well right now. :scratch:

Winston's Human
04-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Perhaps, Kolya would do better focusing on the quality of his own play rather than on which players have absented themselves from the tournament.

Sofyaxo
04-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah the dig at Russia was totally not needed. Mostly because the government is making a half assed try at being better. And hello every government lies to it's people. That is now it worked.

A better comment would have been killing not lying.

Okay I'm done being bitter.

arodfanpe666o
04-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I heard from somewhere that Andy won't play in Rome. Is this true...?:confused:

Deboogle!.
04-22-2007, 03:29 PM
if he doesn't I'll :armed:

snaillyyy
04-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I will hold the reload:armed: for you.

merce
04-22-2007, 04:31 PM
but, he has points to defend in Rome, he cant miss it :awww:

arodfanpe666o
04-22-2007, 04:35 PM
I will hold the reload:armed: for you.

I was just asking....

I really hope that Roddick will be healthy and to play and put some wins in Rome;)

snaillyyy
04-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I was just asking....

I really hope that Roddick will be healthy and to play and put some wins in Rome;)

I meant I am going to hold the extra ammo for Deb.
He better play, but then again we are talking about Andy here :p:lol:

tennis lover
04-22-2007, 04:57 PM
but Rome is probably his best chance to get a few points! :sobbing: I mean, let's face it, he's probably not going to do a lot in Hamburg! :o

arodfanpe666o
04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
So I think he will play both Rome and Hamburg. Hopefully he will get some wins.:)

MissFairy
04-22-2007, 06:27 PM
but Rome is probably his best chance to get a few points! :sobbing: I mean, let's face it, he's probably not going to do a lot in Hamburg! :o
Most definitely. Hamburg is slooooow. And slow equals bye, bye Andy :o

tangerine_dream
04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I hope Andy will be okay to go for Rome. It's his best Euroclay tournament and he has points to defend.

My random whine of the day:
"I feel this match gave me some information," Federer said. "I'm absolutely in the mix with him [Rafa] on clay. I feel like I'm in good shape for the rest of clay-court season, and it's going to come down to the French Open to see who wins."
Now how come Roger is allowed to say that he's "in the mix" with Rafa on clay without having won any of their clay matches but Andy can't say the same thing with regards to Roger on grass/hardcourt? http://forums.runjumpshoot.com/images/smilies/annoyed.gif

Jade Fox
04-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Now how come Roger is allowed to say that he's "in the mix" with Rafa on clay without having won any of their clay matches but Andy can't say the same thing with regards to Roger on grass/hardcourt? http://forums.runjumpshoot.com/images/smilies/annoyed.gif

Because Roddick sucks.:p

tennis lover
04-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I hope Andy will be okay to go for Rome. It's his best Euroclay tournament and he has points to defend.

:lol: because at least roger can beat Rafa on other surfaces, but Andy can't beat Federer on any surface? :shrug: :awww:

Sofyaxo
04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
^ BURN!!

But it's true. If Andy could be Roger anytime he'd be in the mix.

Jimnik
04-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Most definitely. Hamburg is slooooow. And slow equals bye, bye Andy :o
Andy will get two Byes in Rome and Hamburg. ;)

Actually it should help him a lot. He'll only need two wins to defend his Rome points. In fact, he'll actually gain a few points if he wins one match in each tournament.

Deboogle!.
04-23-2007, 12:10 AM
The last time Andy won a match at Hamburg, I didn't follow tennis closely...

partygirl
04-23-2007, 03:52 AM

well then i think it is time again.

TMJordan
04-23-2007, 03:59 AM
You people just dont understand how great clay really is. :D

Deboogle!.
04-23-2007, 04:16 AM
You people just dont understand how great clay really is. :DWhere did anyone in this thread say they don't like clay :confused:

GollyLou
04-23-2007, 06:27 AM
The last time Andy won a match at Hamburg, I didn't follow tennis closely...

The last time Andy won a match in Hamburg, the only tennis I got on my tv was Wimbledon. (And maybe Queens, I don't remember if the BBC showed Queens back then.)

J. Corwin
04-23-2007, 06:41 AM
You people just dont understand how great clay really is. :D

It is great for mud-wrestling. :banana:

And play-doh.;)

partygirl
04-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Where did anyone in this thread say they don't like clay :confused:
I don't like clay.:wavey::p

Sofyaxo
04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Me either.

Where's the grass?

partygirl
04-23-2007, 08:35 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy036.gif

GollyLou
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Where's the grass?

Sadly, it's several weeks away. :(

*doesn't like clay that much either*

surfpinky
04-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I like clay....not aiken though.

MisterQ
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I like clay....not aiken though.

Will Andy be achin' on clay?

tennis lover
04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I like all of the surfaces! Variety is the spice of life and all that! :p

partygirl
04-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Has it been 10 days yet???:awww::crazy::ignore:

Deboogle!.
04-24-2007, 01:25 AM
yes

partygirl
04-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Good.

Jade Fox
04-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I like clay. I just like it best when the players roll around it, and not actually playing on it.:devil:

tangerine_dream
04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I can't wait until the summer hardcourt season begins.

kaylee
04-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I like clay it is better for my poor old bones!!!

Tytta!.
04-24-2007, 05:03 PM
oh man |X

jeahhh!
04-24-2007, 05:05 PM

partygirl
04-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I like clay. I just like it best when the players roll around it, and not actually playing on it.:devil:
I was watching McEnroe do that last night circa 1984.
funnily enough he was doing it in what most men would consider underwear nowadays:p

GollyLou
04-24-2007, 06:06 PM
funnily enough he was doing it in what most men would consider underwear nowadays:p

The short!shorts! :hearts: I may have a slight fondness for the short!shorts. I think that tennis players should be made to wear them nowadays too. tradition, and everything. :) :angel:

Jade Fox
04-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Call me crazy but I've never been much of a fan of the short shorts. For whatever reason, I've never gotten into them. I mean the image of Andy wearing them is causing me to crack up right now.:lol:

My position on the guys rolling around on clay still stands though.:devil:

Deboogle!.
04-24-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm not a fan of short shorts on guys either. They don't have to look homeless, but yeah.

blosson
04-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I can't wait until the summer hardcourt season begins.

don't forget andy's favourite grass season.

kaylee
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
oh noooooooo bring back short shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

partygirl
04-24-2007, 10:20 PM
:aparty:

MisterQ
04-24-2007, 10:24 PM
I was watching McEnroe do that last night circa 1984.

Reduces wind resistance!

Havok
04-25-2007, 03:02 AM
I enjoy clay, but would enjoy is SO much more if Andy would play better on it. Watching other players battle it out on the dirt is fun, but when your fave isn't there, it gets diminished somewhat. Though Gasquet and Djokovic seem to be rounding out just in time for the dirt, and Haas has picked it up. Plus Golovin just won her first title on clay (albeit green, but still) and won both her matches in Fed Cup, though is out for this week and next week with another damn ankle injury :(.

PLEASE play well on clay this year Andy. 3r or better at RG you asshole.:D Love you.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Naldo you rock :rocker2:

Fumus
04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I enjoy clay, but would enjoy is SO much more if Andy would play better on it. Watching other players battle it out on the dirt is fun, but when your fave isn't there, it gets diminished somewhat. Though Gasquet and Djokovic seem to be rounding out just in time for the dirt, and Haas has picked it up. Plus Golovin just won her first title on clay (albeit green, but still) and won both her matches in Fed Cup, though is out for this week and next week with another damn ankle injury :(.

PLEASE play well on clay this year Andy. 3r or better at RG you asshole.:D Love you.

Andy doesn't slide during clay season, just his ranking does. :)

MisterQ
04-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Hopefully he will slide uphill this year...

Jade Fox
04-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Speaking of sliding, I wonder if Andy's ever considered trying one of those glider workout things. It could help his movement on clay.

realtin
04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Poor doug :sad: But at least it seems Andy will play rome :)
http://www.andyroddick.com/3006/rest-and-recovery/

Update from Doug:
It has been a couple of weeks since my last update. The nice thing is that I have been able to be home for over a week now. I had been on the road a lot so far this year so it has been nice to catch up on things here. There is still plenty for me to do. One of the tough things to do when you travel so much and change time zones is to stay healthy. Last week it all caught up with me and I spent much of last week not feeling well. It really is one of the tough things that all of the players deal with. When you travel this much on airplanes you end up breathing everyone’s bad air. You also get your sleep patterns thrown off by always changing time zones. That’s why when Andy travels, sleep, a good diet, and just doing a good job of taking care of himself is so important.
We are off to Rome in about 10 days. This time off has been good for Andy to recover after a very busy first 3 and a half months of the year. You really need some times when during the year when your body can recover. Now the focus is on the clay courts for the next month or so. Hope everyone out there is well. We will be in touch with you from Europe.

kaylee
04-25-2007, 07:14 PM
heehee me like Doug!

surfpinky
04-25-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not a fan of short shorts on guys either. They don't have to look homeless, but yeah.

what!!!!!!!!! come on deb, you konw you love the short shorts
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/45/fullj.getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-liverpool_11_43_39_am.jpg

d:

Deboogle!.
04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
nope nat, not really d:

hooray for Andy playing Rome :)

surfpinky
04-25-2007, 07:48 PM
maybe this will help |X
oh man |X

heck yeah andy, now play well in rome....

Deboogle!.
04-25-2007, 07:50 PM
nat |X you slay me |X

Jade Fox
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Yay, Andy's playing Rome! Maybe we should retitle the thread "Rome if you want to."

Or is that just too lame?:o

surfpinky
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
or "when in rome, dammit, win"

Jade Fox
04-25-2007, 08:11 PM

I like that. So true.:sad:

Sofyaxo
04-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Just don't hurt your ass again.

That's all I want. Sliding around horribly on clay is going to do nothing good for this hamstring thing.

And I totally thought that football player had NO pants on. :o

blosson
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Deb, it's time to change the title to something more positive. :D

What about something cheesy like "It's time to leave home and head to Rome!"

jeahhh!
04-25-2007, 08:57 PM

I like it.

blosson
04-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Andy is not capable of winning in Rome so it should be tweaked to "When in Rome, dammit, eat mozzarella"

tennis lover
04-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I want Andy to play NOW! :awww:

jeahhh!
04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I want Andy to play NOW! :awww:

Ditto

Deboogle!.
04-25-2007, 11:21 PM
or "when in rome, dammit, win"I think we have a WINNER! |X

MisterQ
04-26-2007, 12:04 AM
I was hoping for Touring the Roman Aqueducks. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-26-2007, 12:05 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA That is good too :lol:

Sean.J.S.
04-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Nice title. :yeah:

surfpinky
04-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Andy is not capable of winning in Rome so it should be tweaked to "When in Rome, dammit, eat mozzarella"
|X

I think we have a WINNER! |X
[':

I was hoping for Touring the Roman Aqueducks. ;)

|X

Jade Fox
04-26-2007, 08:36 AM
One day, I will come up with a thread title that is so awesome, so brilliant, so fucking perfect, that everyone on the MTF will worship me and make me thier Queen.:devil:

Or not. Good luck in Rome Andy!:rocker2:

partygirl
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
All we can do is try.

Here is to TRYING in Rome, Be-hach:drink::kiss:

tennisf1freak
04-26-2007, 12:19 PM
good luck andy!!

knight_ley
04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
:dance:

Fumus
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I would like it if Andy wins like 3 matches, 1 easy...1 challenging...and 1 grueling confidence builder...then he can lose the rnd...and be ready for Hamburgers....I mean Hamburg.

merce
04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I would like it if Andy wins like 3 matches, 1 easy...1 challenging...and 1 grueling confidence builder...then he can lose the rnd...and be ready for Hamburgers....I mean Hamburg.:cool:

NicoFan
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Hmmmmm....the chico better try. :(

Me is ti-red of the excuses on clay. ;) :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
why wouldn't he try :confused:

NicoFan
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
why wouldn't he try :confused:

I know he'll try. :yeah: (Jimmy would kick his ass if he didn't...)

I was just responding to everyone's posts about his chances of winning.

cobalt60
04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Hero on the court this year :rocker2: Off the court is good too ;)

Jade Fox
04-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Something tells me that Andy will try this year. I would really like to see him do well at Roland Garros just once.:)

Maybe if he's really inspired he could be the one to end Nadal's winning streak! As much as I love Rafa, it would be great(and pretty funny) if the person to end his streak is the last person people would expect.

He probably won't though.

Sofyaxo
04-28-2007, 01:08 AM
It would be the moment of my life if Andy beat Nadal on clay. Rafa would have to have a reallllllllly big pain in his famous ass for that to happen. :lol:

I think Andy could do good on clay, he's just always some kind of hurt this season. And like I said before if that hamstring isn't 100% he could try and slide and pull it again.

Deboogle!.
04-28-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm more likely to wake up tomorrow and be 6' tall than Andy is to beat Rafa on clay.

That said, I do believe that Andy is capable of doing well on the surface and it's high time he proves it.

snaillyyy
04-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Deb, Oli wouldn't like it if you were 6' tall;)

I am trying not to get my hopes up for the clay season, but for some reason I have a good feeling about it this year. :tape:

partygirl
04-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Some shorties love giraffes:ras:

Andy will win RG this year, or not.:)

snaillyyy
04-28-2007, 04:07 AM
:lol: :kiss:Tall is good.

am&a
04-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Rafa would have to have a reallllllllly big pain in his famous ass for that to happen. :lol:is it wrong that my first thought was carlos? |X

Deboogle!.
04-28-2007, 05:21 AM
is it wrong that my first thought was carlos? |XDUDE. Yes it is man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! |:

Jade Fox
04-28-2007, 05:39 AM
It would be the moment of my life if Andy beat Nadal on clay. Rafa would have to have a reallllllllly big pain in his famous ass for that to happen. :lol:

I think Andy could do good on clay, he's just always some kind of hurt this season. And like I said before if that hamstring isn't 100% he could try and slide and pull it again.

I'm more likely to wake up tomorrow and be 6' tall than Andy is to beat Rafa on clay.

That said, I do believe that Andy is capable of doing well on the surface and it's high time he proves it.

Deb, Oli wouldn't like it if you were 6' tall;)

I am trying not to get my hopes up for the clay season, but for some reason I have a good feeling about it this year. :tape:

Oh ye's of little faith:ras::lol:.

Andy so too can beat Rafa on clay!:p Or not.;)

am&a
04-28-2007, 05:53 AM
DUDE. Yes it is man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! |:sorry man. |X

Deboogle!.
04-28-2007, 06:00 AM
you're not sorray, punk |X

am&a
04-28-2007, 06:15 AM
that's right. i'm not sorray punk, i'm sorray man. |X

Deboogle!.
04-28-2007, 06:18 AM
pfffftttttt you're not sorry man either man |X

am&a
04-28-2007, 06:20 AM
sorray woman? |X

surfpinky
04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
pervyamanda, homme.

blosson
04-28-2007, 01:36 PM
is it wrong that my first thought was carlos? |X

kaylee
04-28-2007, 08:34 PM
oh boy!

Fumus
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Clay is the season for lovers.

realtin
04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Ok, I know Andy tends to arrive late for tournaments, but arriving on finals day may be taking it a bit too far...

Deboogle!.
04-30-2007, 03:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MisterQ
04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe he's planning on some walkovers... :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
well that sure wouldn't hurt :sobbing:

realtin
04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
We all know he's just going to breeze through the draw so why bother showing up until then...:lol: :scared:

tennis lover
04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
:rolls: Excellent!!! :yeah:

J. Corwin
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Silly Andy, there are no byes in the semis! :lol:

snaillyyy
04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Maybe he's planning on some walkovers... :lol:

As long as he isn't the one who is walked all over :lol:

Fumus
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I was really impressed with the way Andy played that Verdasco match, does any else think that playing a similar tactic such as that will work on clay? Btw, any one else think that tactic of playing possom...then hitting passes and getting super aggressive when your opponent plays themselves out of position is a great strategy for Roddick to employ in the future?

Deboogle!.
05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I was really impressed with the way Andy played that Verdasco match, does any else think that playing a similar tactic such as that will work on clay? No. The way he played that match made me want to vomit. But I forgave him because he was injured. He won't be successful if he tries to change his game. He just needs to make the proper adjustments for clay such as movement and being a little more patient. he needs to play his game and go for his shots and wait for his opportunities just like every other surface.

Tytta!.
05-01-2007, 04:05 PM
No. The way he played that match made me want to vomit. But I forgave him because he was injured. He won't be successful if he tries to change his game. He just needs to make the proper adjustments for clay such as movement and being a little more patient. he needs to play his game and go for his shots and wait for his opportunities just like every other surface.

Exactly.

Sofyaxo
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I think that the fact that Andy isn't always the most patient player is one of his bigger issues on clay.

Deboogle!.
05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I think that the fact that Andy isn't always the most patient player is one of his bigger issues on clay.Yep, it's his whole mental outlook - when he tries really really hard, he plays well on it (like in DC).

merce
05-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I think that the fact that Andy isn't always the most patient player is one of his bigger issues on clay. true!
he doesnt take much time between points and during points

tennis lover
05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
is it time for Rome already? :awww: :sobbing:

merce
05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
is it time for Rome already? :awww: :sobbing: yes, next week
the year is passing by so fast, i'm still recovering from the AO loss against Roger :sobbing:

tennis lover
05-01-2007, 11:17 PM
yes, next week
I know but that's not already! :p that's 5 days away. :awww: it's too far! ;)

Deboogle!.
05-01-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't think it's a problem that he doesn't take a long time BETWEEN points, I think the problem is his impatience during points. Actually I think sometimes the fact that he gets up to serve so quickly is an advantage to him when there are long rallies. He's fit while the other guy might be out of breath but there Andy is, ready to serve right away. Pretty cool :)

partygirl
05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I don't think it's a problem that he doesn't take a long time BETWEEN points, I think the problem is his impatience during points. Actually I think sometimes the fact that he gets up to serve so quickly is an advantage to him when there are long rallies. He's fit while the other guy might be out of breath but there Andy is, ready to serve right away. Pretty cool :)
:yeah:Very.

Deboogle!.
05-01-2007, 11:30 PM
did you come over to pay your rent today? Donald is here:)

merce
05-02-2007, 01:27 AM
I don't think it's a problem that he doesn't take a long time BETWEEN points, I think the problem is his impatience during points. Actually I think sometimes the fact that he gets up to serve so quickly is an advantage to him when there are long rallies. He's fit while the other guy might be out of breath but there Andy is, ready to serve right away. Pretty cool :) agreed! :)

what i was trying to say is that he likes to play points too fast and in a surface like clay it doesnt seem to be the best way to win a match ... because of that we get 4+ hour matches :o

Deboogle!.
05-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Yea I agree. I think Andy has trouble finding the balance. Like, you have to be more patient on clay and not go for stupid shots that you have no chance of making and you have to expect that even really good shots that might be winners on other surfaces might come back on clay, but on the other hand, Andy's not a grinder. he needs to find the right time in the rallies to attack either at net or from the baseline, and I'm sure that's incredibly hard for him.

It's just frustrating to have seen him play really well on the surface (even in matches he's ultimately lost) and continually see him have so many bad regular clay seasons :(

merce
05-02-2007, 02:05 AM
yes :awww:
+ the injuries dont help either

other players should adapt to his game on clay
hear that Rafa Nadal!
*one is allowed to dream* :o