Am I a traitor? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Am I a traitor?

sebabe
04-02-2007, 06:11 PM
:eek: I was having a chat with someone today, (ok a member of the opposite sex) and we got onto the subject of interests and I mentioned tennis which was fine, until I said that my favourite player was french. The person I was talking too said that I should only support players from my own country and that I was a traitor and to add insult to injury he also told me that it is a well owned fact that French people do not like English people! Is he tallking a load of rubbish, because I really do not think with all due respect to Mr Murray and Mr Henman that I can summon up the same degree of interest in the afore mentioned gentlemen.

Marine
04-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Don't worry good girl, I think you have good tastes :lol:

Now I'm patriot, I support the frenchies but before (some years ago) I was a big fan of Pete Sampras and when he was playing a french player, I cheered for him at 100 %.
I have to admit I changed since pistol pete stoped.

Marine
04-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I like Tim Henman, I remember I was very happy to see him in semi in Roland Garros some years ago.

aliasthad
04-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Why shouldn't you support who you like?!! :confused:

Nothing could make me support Andy Murray.

And nothing could stop me supporting Seb.

sebabe
04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, something similar happened to me when Seb played Henman at Wimbledon 2 maybe 3 years ago in the semi's I think. Seb won and I was glad but, I did have sympathy with Henman. For me, the reason I favour Seb, is due to his personality rather than the fact that he is French. Some people can be very blinkered and narrow minded. But, thankyou for your support.:)

sebabe
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM

I could not agree more, I have been impressed with Andy Murray's progress, but still he leaves me cold.

I would not let one person's narrow minded opinions sway me at all, but his comments did make me think. Which is why I really appreciate being able to get feedback from other tennis fans.

Via
04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
sebabe, come more to global forums like this one, and you will see a whole world of opinions!

the aussie fans that i know on this forum are all traitors according to your friend :tape: there's plenty of support for frenchies and spaniards, and just about any other nationalities... except for lleyton hewitt :tape:

sebabe
04-03-2007, 08:07 AM
I think calling him a friend maybe stretching the word a little bit. He obviously has a tiny mind, which leads me to think that other areas of his anatomy maybe freakishly undersized! :eek:

Invisible
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm American, and although at one time my favorites were a bunch of American players (when I first became a tennis fan, now I've had time to pick "real" favorites) I now support French and Spanish players way more than the Americans. If it's wrong to just plain like a player from another country then I must be a horrible person because for the USA vs. Spain Davis Cup tie I want Spain to win, not the U.S. I must be such a bad American.

sebabe
04-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Good, I am normal after all. I will definitely print off a copy of this thread and make the cheeky little non-conformist read it, although first, I may have to delete the bit about his under developed body part!

higherlaw
04-03-2007, 03:24 PM

Same with me! I've seen him play in person and ended up liking him even less.

I'm American, and although at one time my favorites were a bunch of American players (when I first became a tennis fan, now I've had time to pick "real" favorites) I now support French and Spanish players way more than the Americans. If it's wrong to just plain like a player from another country then I must be a horrible person because for the USA vs. Spain Davis Cup tie I want Spain to win, not the U.S. I must be such a bad American.

i don't care that much for many American players either...it's not that i don't like them, i just don't care about them. I'll probably root for robredo to win this weekend, but have the American team win. but, when they play France, i root for France :angel:

GrosjeantheGreat
04-04-2007, 04:44 PM
:eek: I was having a chat with someone today, (ok a member of the opposite sex) and we got onto the subject of interests and I mentioned tennis which was fine, until I said that my favourite player was french. The person I was talking too said that I should only support players from my own country and that I was a traitor and to add insult to injury he also told me that it is a well owned fact that French people do not like English people! Is he tallking a load of rubbish, because I really do not think with all due respect to Mr Murray and Mr Henman that I can summon up the same degree of interest in the afore mentioned gentlemen.

Sacre Bleu!

Madam Grosjeanite; heed not ze English and their petty xenophobia-since ze dawn of time many nationz hath been jealous of ze mighty France and ze suave, sophistication of ze French peoplez.

Feel not guilty, madam, for thy love and worship of moi iz only natural-many a winsome wench and luscious lady hath fallen for ze indomitable charm of ze Grosjean!

Yea, shun thy silly society of tea-drinking, stuffy Englishmen with bad teeth and small penises.

Don thy beret and move to Paris, where thy fellow Grosjeanitez will smuggle thee into ze country and welcome thee with open armz and a bottle of our finest vintage!

Betray ze queen of England and ze evil British empire!

JBdV
04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Sacre Bleu!

Madam Grosjeanite; heed not ze English and their petty xenophobia-since ze dawn of time many nationz hath been jealous of ze mighty France and ze suave, sophistication of ze French peoplez.

Feel not guilty, madam, for thy love and worship of moi iz only natural-many a winsome wench and luscious lady hath fallen for ze indomitable charm of ze Grosjean!

Yea, shun thy silly society of tea-drinking, stuffy Englishmen with bad teeth and small penises.

Don thy beret and move to Paris, where thy fellow Grosjeanitez will smuggle thee into ze country and welcome thee with open armz and a bottle of our finest vintage!

:worship:

sebabe
04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Sacre Bleu!

I say, jolly bad show and all that you asumming that my preference for ONE french tennis player over so many others is in some way a rejection of my beloved England!

I know its not very PC these days, but I do love living in merry old England. Why, there is not one day that goes by when I do not enjoy a lovey cup of tea, while humming along to Rule Britannia. Indeed, it is a comforting sight to see the menfolk walking along in their suits wearing bowler hats whilst twirling their umbrellas.

I think its thoughly beastly of you to suggest that I should defect my homeland to go to France! and to live amongst tanned men with dark continential looks and sexy french accents. I'm sorry I can no longer converse with you as I have to find my passport!

KellyluvsGrosjean
04-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Haaa Sebabe... Please help me to ask that guy, what if a Hong Konger supporting a French player? Currently no HKer is playing in the Int'l tennis tournaments!!!!! So am I supposed to stop watching tennis and football?

Guys are too selfish... Don't have to mind loh!:p

sebabe
04-23-2007, 08:04 AM
The only sense I can make out of his objections is that he thinks that if you are a tennis fan then you should support in a similar way to say football is supported, i.e. your local or national team. I agree with you, in England we have very few really good players and if I only supported or watched English players I would not be watching a lot of tennis!

ronim1
04-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I think one has to separate politics from sport.
You should support anyone you like, regardless race, sex, or whatever.
But it's quite natural to support someone from you own country.

sebabe
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I agree, I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, your english is excellent!

ronim1
04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I agree, I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, your english is excellent!

Why shouldn't I accept a compliment?
I understand your Hebrew is not that good
:rolls:

sebabe
04-24-2007, 07:55 AM
:p That's cute, and so true.