Davis Cup - Sep 21 to 23: Russia vs. Germany [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup - Sep 21 to 23: Russia vs. Germany

Sean.J.S.
03-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Tommy will next play in the QF of the Davis Cup where Germany will play Belgium. It will be held at the Sleuyter Arena, Ostend, Belgium. The tie will be held on Indoor Red Clay.

In Davis Cup, Germany leads the H2H against Belgium 7-0. The last four encounters have been 5-0 washouts in Germany's favour. However, Germany have not played Belgium in Davis Cup for 15 years. Germany have only played Belgium once before on clay (however, on that occasion it was outdoor) and obviously, Germany won.

Tommy's career Davis Cup singles record is 18-6 and on clay it is 3-2.

Tommy is likely to be named in Germany's team along with Benjamin Becker or Florian Mayer for the singles, and Alexander Waske and Michael Kohlmann (who won the crucial doubles rubber against Croatia in the previous round) are likely to represent Germany in the doubles once more.

In R1 of the 2007 Davis Cup, Tommy was Germany's hero defeating Mario Ancic and Ivan Ljubicic to win two of the three rubbers won by Germany (the other was the doubles victory) and eventually won overall 3-2 whereas Belgium defeated Australia, also 3-2.

Good luck Tommy and Germany. :)

Leen.
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
tommy, florian mayer, alexander waske and michael kohlmann are nominated. and probably kohlschreiber...

Sean.J.S.
03-27-2007, 11:43 PM
It would be Tommy and Mayer/Kohlschreiber in the singles.

Btw does anybody like my new avatar of Tommy celebrating the Davis Cup victory against Croatia?

Leen.
03-28-2007, 05:04 AM
yes I definitely do! :) :)

Jogy
03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
I think Mayer and Kohlschreiber are a weakness, I think Tommy should better not loose a single match then!

I'm scared because I thinking that Belgium can be very hard and enduring, I think they are more difficult, but I hope Germany wins it!

:rocker2:

TommyB.
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
50:50 imo.

I think Belgium has some problems too. Vliegen in a bad form, O. Rochus retired in Miami. Substitutes are C. Rochus and D. Norman...no Malisse.

Btw I like your avatar Verdasco! :worship:

yumo
03-30-2007, 04:46 AM
C'mon Tommy :rocker2:

supertommyhaas
04-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Auf ghets :worship:

Jogy
04-02-2007, 02:30 AM
I think Belgium has some problems too. Vliegen in a bad form, O. Rochus retired in Miami. Substitutes are C. Rochus and D. Norman...no Malisse.
oh did not notice it, thanks for informing! :yeah:

Sean.J.S.
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Let's hope Tommy will be the hero again. :)

serena85
04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
TOMMY!!:hearts:
Good luck tomorrow against Vliegen:angel:
Do your best:rocker2:

Sean.J.S.
04-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Damn I don't get to see the Belgium vs. Germany tie. :sad:

I only get to see USA vs. Spain. :sobbing:

TommyB.
04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
This claycourt must be terrible in Ostend. :unsure:

Anyway,

Go Tommy!!

Auf geht's Germany!! :fiery:

Sean.J.S.
04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I posted some pics in Tommy's picture thread. :)

Eden
04-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Davis Cup: Haas gets Germany off to winning start against Belgium
The Associated Press
Published: April 6, 2007

OSTEND, Belgium: Tommy Haas beat an injured Kristof Vliegen 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-4, 6-2 Friday to give Germany a 1-0 lead over Belgium in the Davis Cup quarterfinals.
Haas, ranked 10th in the world, struggled on the slow clay and received some unexpected help when Vliegen hurt his back late in the second set.
Belgium's Olivier Rochus was to play Philipp Kohlschreiber in Friday's second match.
Vliegen's injury destroyed his momentum and allowed Haas to dominate with a strong all-court performance.
"I wanted to finish it off and get the first point. You never know what can happen," Haas said.

Almost two decades after Boris Becker and Michael Stich gave Germany three Davis Cup titles, Haas is looking to qualify his nation for its first semifinal appearance in a dozen years.
Vliegen has been in a free fall since he won both his Davis Cup singles matches in February to lead Belgium past Australia and into the quarterfinals.
Cheered on by a crowd of about 4,000 at the Sleuyter Arena, he rekindled some of that good form and won the first set in a tiebreak.
Vliegen was still dominating the match when the two were at 5-5 in the second set. Then, Haas sent him scurrying back from the net with a deep lob and the Belgian hurt his lower back reaching for the ball. He had to be treated immediately and after losing the second set, he received more medical help in the dressing room.
"I needed to win that set or there would have been more trouble for me," Haas said.
When he came back, he had lost his vigor, looked slower and yielded the initiative to the surging Haas.

Haas, often in trouble on clay, improved to 4-2 on the surface in Davis Cup play and 19-6 overall.
On paper, Belgium is the easiest opponent among the quarterfinalists.
Belgium's chances of a first win over Germany in eight matches since 1937 were already compromised since it plays without No. 32 Xavier Malisse. Belgium's top-ranked player is sidelined because of a team dispute.

The winner faces either France or Russia in the semifinals in September.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/06/sports/EU-SPT-TEN-Belgium-Germany.php

Well done Tommy :yeah:

Sean.J.S.
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Well done Tommy. Hopefully Kohlmann and Waske can win the doubles. :)

TommyB.
04-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Tommy :yeah:

Difficult match but a win is a win.

2-0...Go Waske/Kohlmann!! :)

atheneglaukopis
04-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Congrats to Tommy and the rest of the team for making it to the semis! :bigclap:

Sean.J.S.
04-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Well done Waske and Kohlmann for the doubles victory. :)

04-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Congrats to Tommy on his DC win :clap2:

TommyB.
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Tommy and Germany! :yeah:

SF against Russia in September. :unsure:

Sean.J.S.
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Bring it on. :D

04-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Tommy and Germany! :yeah:

SF against Russia in September. :unsure:
:eek: I'm not so sure I like the sound of that :rolleyes:

Leen.
04-10-2007, 06:29 PM
btw i read in the newspaper today that tommy is thinking about stopping playing dc because it is so much stress. but of course he will be active in the dc 07

04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
btw i read in the newspaper today that tommy is thinking about stopping playing dc because it is so much stress. but of course he will be active in the dc 07
That wouldn't surprise me because I know Tommy hates to lose a DC Match. He is the same way Andy Roddick is with the U.S. They both feel they have to win all their DC Matches.

Sean.J.S.
04-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Come on Tommy. Win the DC for Germany. :banana:

04-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Come on Tommy. Win the DC for Germany. :banana:
If he is going to stop playing DC it would be a great way for him to go out :cool: But I have to admit I have my doubts about Germany being able to defeat Russia :sad:

Leen.
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
If he is going to stop playing DC it would be a great way for him to go out :cool: But I have to admit I have my doubts about Germany being able to defeat Russia :sad:

but tommy is able to beat both davydenko and marat. and germany has an excellent doubles team. they are not the favorite but i think that it is possible to reach the final. definitely i hope so!!

That wouldn't surprise me because I know Tommy hates to lose a DC Match. He is the same way Andy Roddick is with the U.S. They both feel they have to win all their DC Matches.

yeah that´s excately what tommy said in the newspaper.

bashful badger
04-11-2007, 12:47 PM
So has Tommy been sacked from the team or not?

Surely this can't be true. Was it because he wanted to fly to Houston on Sunday? He'd done his bit by then, won his match and wasn't needed any more. He stayed on Saturday to support them and see if he would be wanted.

Leen.
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
So has Tommy been sacked from the team or not?

Surely this can't be true. Was it because he wanted to fly to Houston on Sunday? He'd done his bit by then, won his match and wasn't needed any more. He stayed on Saturday to support them and see if he would be wanted.

no no, he hasn´t been sacked, he definitely wants to play at the DC 07. he only thinks about retiring from dc after this year because it is too exhausting.
it has nothing to do with his departure on saturday. he just get a fly on saturday evening after it was sure that germany won.

04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
but tommy is able to beat both davydenko and marat. and germany has an excellent doubles team. they are not the favorite but i think that it is possible to reach the final. definitely i hope so!!

yeah that´s excately what tommy said in the newspaper.
Yes, but Marat and Davydenko can also beat Tommy :sad:
And I personally feel that the Russian team is just stronger than the German team :sad: :sad: We will just have to hope I'm wrong :D

Neely
04-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Yes, I would also feel that the Russian team is stronger because I would rate the probability that both single players of Russia are capable to score higher than the chances of Germany's 2nd player behind Tommy in singles. Are the #2 players of Germany Mayer, Kohlschreiber or Becker equal to Andreev, Safin, Youzhny etc? Clear no.

Sean.J.S.
09-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Bump. :p

Well after the first day, the Russia vs. Germany SF is tied at 1-1.....

Igor Andreev (RUS) def. Tommy Haas (GER) 6-2 6-2 6-2 :help:

Phillip Kohlscreiber (GER) def. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) 6-7(5) 6-2 6-2 4-6 7-5 :eek: :yeah:

Awful loss for Tommy. :smash: Thankfully, Phillip kept the tie alive....it would have been pretty much impossible for Germany to win the tie if Kolya won that match...

Good luck to Petzschner and Waske in the doubles today, and hopefully Tommy can beat Kolya on the final day. :D

Auf gehts Germany!! :banana:

TommyB.
09-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Russia vs. Belgium? :p

Tommy's performances on red clay are really :tape: but Andreev played quite well.

Go Germany!!

Sean.J.S.
09-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Whoops. :o I changed it to Russia vs. Germany now. :p

Yeah, Tommy doesn't really have a good clay record at all. :tape:

Hopefully he can get some US Open revenge against Kolya. :D....:unsure:

Leen.
09-23-2007, 08:53 AM
just imagine germany would win this.
omg that would be awesome.
well, but there are still two matches to play...and one the win

TommyB.
09-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Tommy won't play, for health reasons.

Leen.
09-23-2007, 08:57 AM
tommy won´t play today. it is changed into pezschner vs. youzhny...
i dont think pezschner can do that.
2nd match is andreev-kohlschreiber...kohli can do that!

http://www.daviscup.com/results/tieresult.asp?tie=100008938

Leen.
09-23-2007, 08:57 AM
for health reasons.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
injuried again?!

strange....
http://www.welt.de/sport/article1206616/Petzschner_spielt_fuer_kranken_Tommy_Haas.html

TommyB.
09-23-2007, 09:01 AM
injuried again?!

strange....
http://www.welt.de/sport/article1206616/Petzschner_spielt_fuer_kranken_Tommy_Haas.html

Illness, but I guess it's nothing serious.

kiwi10is
09-23-2007, 11:33 AM
injuried again?!

strange....

no need to worry... just an upset stomach