GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA

TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO

BOGOMOLOV JR., Alex USA
(2) FISH, Mardy USA

TheBoiledEgg
04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
great :rolleyes:

2 of 3 the "good" clay courters meet in 1st rd with the winner to meet the Acasuso in 2nd :o
saying that Lapentti couldnt hit a cow's backside with a banjo these days.

Lets count the # of player that can ACTUALLY play on clay.

Squillari....... about 3-4 yrs ago (now he cant even play)
Horna more like a cheap B grade clay player

Acasuso, Pavel and Lapentti

Haas wouldnt even play here if he wasnt out for so long
thats it.

another Duck easy ride into final

another mattress Mac fix

Scotso
04-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Lapentti, Ginepri, Melzer, Goldstein :D

TennisLurker
04-11-2004, 08:33 PM
good luck to squillari

AtPGiRL
04-11-2004, 09:13 PM
I hope it's a Acasuso/Vassallo Arguello final! Will serve McInvale right! :fiery:

Good luck to

Andrei Pavel
and
Tommy Haas! :D

Shoot the duck boys!

Shadow
04-11-2004, 09:52 PM
good luck to Todd, Andrei, James and TOMPA! :) :D

Billabong
04-11-2004, 10:16 PM
GO Tommy H:D!!!!!

Tennis Fool
04-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Wow look at the depth of this field :eek:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh yea, Mack just fixed the whole draw... :rolleyes:

Actually Brian Vahaly and Thomas Blake picked the draw, if you really want to know.

croat123
04-11-2004, 11:19 PM
wow, this tournament is pointless. why don't they just give roddick the title. why would the number 2 player in the world play in such a weak event instead of travelling to europe and playing in estoril or valencia where there are real claycourters... :o

anyways, good luck ivo, you'll need it!

Tennis Fool
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Roddick has been in the finals the last three years. It will be laughable if he loses.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 12:41 AM
wow, this tournament is pointless. why don't they just give roddick the title. why would the number 2 player in the world play in such a weak event instead of travelling to europe and playing in estoril or valencia where there are real claycourters... :o

Because he is loyal to a guy who gave him a shot before he was anyway. That's the way Andy works. Might not be the absolute best for him career-wise but he is very dedicated to the people who took a chance on him early on.

Besides Andre not being there, this field is not really weaker than it usually is, considering it's almost always AFTER Monte Carlo. So I don't know what the big stink is.

WyveN
04-12-2004, 01:38 AM
this draw is very amusing because its on clay

Its sort of like filling up a grass court event with guys from spain/south america

Fedex
04-12-2004, 03:59 AM

2 of 3 the "good" clay courters meet in 1st rd with the winner to meet the Acasuso in 2nd :o
saying that Lapentti couldnt hit a cow's backside with a banjo these days.

Lets count the # of player that can ACTUALLY play on clay.

Squillari....... about 3-4 yrs ago (now he cant even play)
Horna more like a cheap B grade clay player

Acasuso, Pavel and Lapentti

thats it.

another Duck easy ride into final

another mattress Mac fix
Exactly!!!! :mad: :(
Good luck to Pavel, Acasuso, Lepentti :)

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 04:42 AM

Its sort of like filling up a grass court event with guys from spain/south america

well Wyver, it is the US Men's Clay Court Championships after all. I mean the name in itself is a bit of a paradox ;)

Devotee
04-12-2004, 05:42 AM

Haas has indeed played this event even when he was healthy and
also playing clay events in Europe.
The word is that Haas likes the pampering he gets at this tournament site.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Bob Larson actually says that Houston is slightly stronger than Valencia b/c there are two top 20 players. And there are apprently less Americans playing it than Spaniards playing there. So we can stop whining huh? :)

dubis016
04-12-2004, 06:38 AM
good luck Lee!(btw,nobody actually remember the 2001 roddick vs lee final??)

Devotee
04-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Bob Larson actually says that Houston is slightly stronger than Valencia b/c there are two top 20 players.

Who's Bob Larson?

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 06:49 AM
www.tennisnews.com - very knowledgeable tennis writer, he analyzes rankings quite impressively, etc.

Fee
04-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Robby and Tommy have to play each other in the first round? And worse, I can't be there to see that absolute droolfest of sleeveless beasts!

Ah, I miss seeing Tommy's backhand firing away. It was so great to see at Indian Wells, and Robby's scampering feet and whippy forehand. Perhaps they'll meet again someday, in my back yard or something. A girl can dream...

Action Jackson
04-12-2004, 08:46 AM

This is funny and so is this tournament. I am going to take a perverse pride in following the Big Jim sideshow.

Come on Pavel, Acasuso or Horna. The Upper Volta challenger has a better field than this.

heya
04-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Horna must be so terrible that he beat the number 1 player!
Haas is suffering, I'm sure.
The cakewalk Valencia draw can be ignored because your favorite player will cruise
through easily!

Aleksa's Laydee
04-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Good Luck u 2!!! :p
(2) FISH, Mardy USA -------> get to the final and kick some butt :D :yeah:
ENQVIST, Thomas SWE ... do as well as ya can and good luck when ya have to play mardy!!! :angel:

FryslanBoppe
04-12-2004, 02:23 PM
This is funny and so is this tournament. I am going to take a perverse pride in following the Big Jim sideshow.

Come on Pavel, Acasuso or Horna. The Upper Volta challenger has a better field than this.

You know the Upper Volta doesn't exist anymore, it would be known as the Burkina Faso challenger.

Ok, it's not a great standard of tournament, people will try and use the rankings as a guide to justify it, but in reality there aren't any top claycourters playing in Houston.

Koubek, Pavel, Squillari and Acasuso are not in the top 15 of players on clay.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Robby and Tommy have to play each other in the first round? And worse, I can't be there to see that absolute droolfest of sleeveless beasts!

I'll take pictures for you:)

Tricky_Forehand
04-12-2004, 05:54 PM
I can't believe the draw that Alex got :mad: :mad: . I know that I should be happy that he got in but considering that he has played every day since last Saturday and now has to play Fish tomorrow (or maybe Wed. ;) ) this sucks! I know he can beat him but after only one day off (not counting that he's probably practicing today) is that going to be enough to recharge after getting into Houston just last night??

Bunk, I'm sending you a private message.

Tricky_Forehand
04-12-2004, 06:09 PM
I forgot to add that I'm not particularly happy with Bogie's potential rnd of 16 either.

Ivo Karlovic or Dmitry Tursunov

I hope Dmitry can pull through this one so Alex would be able to have an easy way to the QFs :devil:

Instead of having to play Ivo so soon again :mad:

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Mardy, Andy, Enqvist, and the Bryans won't play til Weds. considering they just got in late last night from Davis Cup. Though, the session schedule on the tourney site says the 1st round is Mon. and Tues., but they're gonna be backed up here b/c it's still raining and I don't know how many matches they'll even get in today. they might still be finishing up qualifying tomorrow so I would guess that Alex and Mardy will not play til Weds..... sorry though, Katherine, I'll be cheering for the Fishster :)

J. Corwin
04-12-2004, 08:29 PM
As long as there is no rain for the rest of the week, I'll be happy. I read from star's post that there's only rain for today though.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 08:32 PM
that's what the weatherman said last night - that after this afternoon we might be clear all the way through to the weekend.

it's not just rainy today, though, it's cold. I think the rain has stopped but it's well below 60 out there - I wouldn't want to play tennis in it, that's for sure. It's that cold, wet, sticky, windy kind of day. ickypoooooooo

J. Corwin
04-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Yea I can imagine. It's been cold and windy here too.

That kind of weather will also slow down the clay courts.

Tricky_Forehand
04-12-2004, 10:30 PM
sorry though, Katherine, I'll be cheering for the Fishster :)

I figured that :) . You were rooting for Roddick when Alex played him in Scottsdale.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Well Andy and Mardy happen to be my two fave players :) If he were playing against someone else I'd be happy to cheer for him :) I'll cheer for him and Taylor in doubles, how's that ;)

Tennis Fool
04-12-2004, 11:05 PM
well Wyver, it is the US Men's Clay Court Championships after all. I mean the name in itself is a bit of a paradox ;)

I think you mean 'oxymoron'.

Tricky_Forehand
04-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Well Andy and Mardy happen to be my two fave players :) If he were playing against someone else I'd be happy to cheer for him :) I'll cheer for him and Taylor in doubles, how's that ;)

Agreed :D .

star
04-13-2004, 12:52 AM
You know the Upper Volta doesn't exist anymore, it would be known as the Burkina Faso challenger.

Ok, it's not a great standard of tournament, people will try and use the rankings as a guide to justify it, but in reality there aren't any top claycourters playing in Houston.

Koubek, Pavel, Squillari and Acasuso are not in the top 15 of players on clay.

Actually, this field is stronger than the field in Valencia. :)

Deboogle!.
04-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Happy to report that there's blue in the sky now.... hopefully the storms are gone for good - at least for the remainder of the week! Now it just has to warm up.... a lot.