Tiger this, Roger that .... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tiger this, Roger that ....

alfonsojose
03-25-2007, 12:42 AM
who cares :yawn:

ghstwrld
03-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is the latest masculine image campaign purported by nike? We should expect a marketing blitz like no other around wimbledon time

That said, at least Roger is getting the attention he deserves.

kobulingam
03-25-2007, 02:49 AM

Apparently you care enough to start a thread on it.

Yappa
03-25-2007, 02:51 AM
When can we expect the first Federer with tennis racquet vs Tiger with golf club on grass ad from Nike?
Or maybe it would be funnier if Federer had the club and Tiger the racquet. :)

Johnny Groove
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Its the latest sex couple in the world of sports, who doesnt want to know about them?

MisterQ
03-25-2007, 03:05 AM
I heard that Mickelson and Nadal have been meeting weekly to swap notes on left-handedness and down some sangria. :drink:

thunder2006
03-25-2007, 03:21 AM
i agree about the who cares....

TennisLurker
03-25-2007, 03:30 AM
I heard that Mickelson and Nadal have been meeting weekly to swap notes on left-handedness and down some sangria. :drink:

Rory Sabbatini and Gabriela Sabatini should meet to discuss their sports barrier breaking sabatininess

ChinoRios4Ever
03-25-2007, 03:42 AM
Rory Sabbatini and Gabriela Sabatini should meet to discuss their sports barrier breaking sabatininess

:haha: :haha:

Xristos
03-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Two of the greatest in their respective sports. I care.

DMNRS22
03-25-2007, 04:15 AM
I think at first it was cool, but now it has just gotten way out of hand. they are practically attached at the hip!

RickDaStick
03-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Federer (on Tiger Woods): "He told me since a couple of months he's going to come out because I knew so far in advance when I was going to play. So that was a great thing. I think we should do that more in the future... I'm happy he comes out during a tournament. I don't know how golfers are, if they're more serious than us tennis players. But I went out to see his practice, too, and it's great that he comes to watch tennis. I think it's a great honor for our sport."

Grenouille
03-25-2007, 07:09 AM
We really don't care so shut up Roger!!!

yomike
03-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Another marketing ploy from the great hyping machine IMG. Oh look the great Tiger Woods watchin the great Roger Federer:silly: .

Jade Fox
03-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Okay at first I thought it was kind of cute. I was able to conjure up some rather amusing images of them braiding each other's hair and gossiping about boys in pink pajamas.:p

Now however it's getting a little annoying. And the endless Federer vs. Tiger: Who's More Dominat? articles are not helping matters either.

The Pro
03-25-2007, 09:32 AM

Arf arf.

There is something a little fruity about Roger come to think about it. But otherwise yes, it is dreadfully boring and backslapping. '

Oh look we're the best!!!' :rolleyes:

kronus12
03-25-2007, 09:36 AM
yeah that's the point they are the best in the sports so you haters out there stop whinning about and get a life losers. Like they give a damn what you guys think since they are sitting on top of the moutain.

FedFan
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
yeah that's the point they are the best in the sports so you haters out there stop whinning about and get a life losers. Like they give a damn what you guys think since they are sitting on top of the moutain.

:worship:

If it's a Nike thing, why Tiger didn't watch Nadal? ;)

In fact they are both superstars, who are certainly not in need of a fake friendship. In my opinion they are too honest and upright to act like this.

But it is obvious, that some users are jealous, that Roger and Tiger get the headlines they seek for their favs.

neeob
03-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is the latest masculine image campaign purported by nike?

No, you aren't. I think their meetings were a
idea of nike. It's perfect: Federer becomes
more popular in America, and Woods in Regions
where nobody cares about Golf. However, i
think that both players enjoy it and maybe
they would even do it without Nike.

Kalliopeia
03-25-2007, 10:52 AM
If it's a Nike thing, why Tiger didn't watch Nadal? ;)

Because Rafa isn't dominant like Roger and Tiger. I don't doubt that Roger and Tiger genuinely like and respect each other, but if you don't think that the whole thing was set up and continues to be pushed into the spotlight by Nike and IMG, you are hopelessly naive.

I also think it was a little bit disrespectful how there Roger was winning another US Open and all anyone could talk about was "OMG Tiger's sitting in Roger's box!!" I'm the first one to :rolleyes: at the Fed worship that goes on but I do find it kind of depressing that the only way he gets any real notice or coverage outside of tennis-based sports media is by hanging out with Tiger Woods.

Lleytonisthebest
03-25-2007, 10:57 AM
who cares about that ? who cares about golf ?

Burrow
03-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I dont care either about all this stuff either.

yana
03-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't care. :zzz:

Winston's Human
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
The mutual man-crush between Federer and Woods seems a little bit arranged by their corporate matchmakers.

vamosnadal
03-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I care about what roger is doing ON the court, not who is sitting in the stands watching him. I agree with others, it was kinda cool to begin with, but enough already! The constant Federer-Tiger talk in the media is just becoming so annoying!

nobama
03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Nobody cares, yet they find time to post their opinions about it in this thread... :scratch:

Castafiore
03-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Nobody cares, yet they find time to post their opinions about it in this thread... :scratch:
Because they care about the sort of tennis coverage we get and the endless Tiger/Roger articles is perhaps not their idea of good tennis journalism?

It didn't bother me at first but it's getting really annoying and hard to ignore.
Just type in Federer on google and watch the endless Woods articles turn up when you were just looking for tennis articles.

Here's the result of googling Federer just now:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/273/woodsym2.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodsym2.jpg)

I agree. Just ignore it is the best solution but it's getting hard to do. Don't you find it annoying that the first articles google comes up with is not at all about Federer but about Woods and yet, you typed in Federer?

vamosnadal
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM

People don't care that they're friends..they do care that it is all we are hearing about. I agree completely with Castafiore.

yana
03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
To compete with "The Friendship" it will be nice to promote another one: Nadal-Valentino Rossi. :aplot:

Fed-Tiger vs Nadal-Rossi. Class vs Sparkling. I wonder with whom one would want to spend its time?

bokehlicious
03-25-2007, 01:25 PM

AMEN :worship:

bokehlicious
03-25-2007, 01:30 PM
To compete with "The Friendship" it will be nice to promote another one: Nadal-Valentino Rossi. :aplot:

Fed-Tiger vs Nadal-Rossi. Class vs Sparkling. I wonder with whom one would want to spend its time?

Vale is way too busy to waste his time hanging out with the likes of Nadal... :angel: :p

Whistleway
03-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Fed says "Tiger is like a brother to me.."

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=84917

PamV
03-25-2007, 02:00 PM

If you don't care then you can just not look at their articles. What's the big deal?

I'd say if anything the ATP is trying to make more Americans interested in Tennis by showing Tiger Woods to be a fan. More Americans care about Golf than Tennis.

PamV
03-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Well I've never heard of Rossi and I can't stand Nadal so I'd opt for spending time with the two handsome classy guys.

Pea
03-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah, who gives a fuck about tigger.

NicoFan
03-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Fed says "Tiger is like a brother to me.."

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=84917

Thanks for the link - very nice!

Lala186
03-25-2007, 02:19 PM
genial or cool

i love federer :)

nobama
03-25-2007, 02:25 PM
People don't care that they're friends..they do care that it is all we are hearing about. I agree completely with Castafiore.
And we don't need to hear about it in GM, I agree. So people shouldn't start threads about it, IMO.

Andre'sNo1Fan
03-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I dunno why people are concerned with others private lives, and who they're friends with. I couldn't care less about tennis players outside the court (and many of them on the court, either).

R.Federer
03-25-2007, 03:28 PM
You type in Federer when there is no new news on him (Ie, title of news article) since a first round loss 2 weeks ago, then it is obviously going to look for newspieces about others where his name features.

Look, it isn't common where two dominant superstars of two distinct sports become bumchums and further, provide so many (apparently) unrehearsed photo ops on the greens or courtside, supporting each other. It IS a newspiece, worthy or not.

Type in Hingis in January, and it would bring up everything about her engagement (non-tennis) and less about the Aus Open.

Just type in Federer on google and watch the endless Woods articles turn up when you were just looking for tennis articles.

Here's the result of googling Federer just now:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/273/woodsym2.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodsym2.jpg)

I agree. Just ignore it is the best solution but it's getting hard to do. Don't you find it annoying that the first articles google comes up with is not at all about Federer but about Woods and yet, you typed in Federer?

Castafiore
03-25-2007, 03:39 PM
You type in Federer when there is no new news on him (Ie, title of news article) since a first round loss 2 weeks ago, then it is obviously going to look for newspieces about others where his name features.
Oh come off it. I find it quite difficult to discuss with you since you have the tendency to divert attention away from the topic at hand when it doesn't suit you but still...

This is a major tennis tournament.
He's just won a tennis match...granted, not the biggest of tennis matches but still a match after his R2 defeat in IW.
There are quite a few tennis issues they could write about but they prefer to talk about Woods instead and little about Federer. Sorry, but that annoys me.

You would have a point if we were talking about the off season but it isn't.
I don't find it normal that you type in the biggest name of tennis in the middle of a major tennis tournament and on the first page, the articles are mainly about Woods. That first article alone was all about Woods and Roger was only mentioned because Woods went to see his match.

Type in Hingis in January, and it would bring up everything about her engagement (non-tennis) and less about the Aus Open.
Well, if Woods would announce his engagement to Federer, you would also have a point but this is just a friendship. Yes, it's nice and they obviously have quite a few things in common but we get it now. Start talking about golf and tennis again.

bokehlicious
03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
He's just won a tennis match...granted, not the biggest of tennis matches but still a match after his R2 defeat in IW.
There quite a few tennis issues they could write about but they prefer to talk about Woods instead.

Obviously a Fed R2 win don't make the headlines as the average Joe don't give a crap... But the 2 most dominants sportsmen hanging out is worth it and does interest casual sport fans...

R.Federer
03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Get off your high horse. I responded DIRECTLY to your post about the newspieces, and that is a diversion? Sure it is, because it does not agree with your post.

Type in Federer now and see what you get. I definitely get newspieces about his win, because the media does not always report Round 1 results within a few hours of it. The US media, well they seemed to have waited till daybreak in the US for this newspiece to get in.

It is irrelevant that it annoys you or you find it abnormal. The media is not really dictated by your likes and dislikes. Apparently there is enough interest in it and enough people clicking on the news links that they can deem it is newsworthy enough, or they would have stopped.

Oh come off it. I find it quite difficult to discuss with you since you have the tendency to divert attention away from the topic at hand when it doesn't suit you but still...

There are quite a few tennis issues they could write about but they prefer to talk about Woods instead and little about Federer. Sorry, but that annoys me.

You would have a point if we were talking about the off season but it isn't.
I don't find it normal that you type in the biggest name of tennis in the middle of a major tennis tournament and on the first page, the articles are mainly about Woods. That first article alone was all about Woods and Roger was only mentioned because Woods went to see his match.

yana
03-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Well I've never heard of Rossi

Valentino Rossi, italian, 7 times MotoGp world champion. A very funny guy...

I can't stand Nadal so I'd opt for spending time with the two handsome classy guys.

Classy, maybe. Handsome?

Puschkin
03-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Obviously a Fed R2 win don't make the headlines as the average Joe don't give a crap... But the 2 most dominants sportsmen hanging out is worth it and does interest casual sport fans...

Then I am proud not to be average Joe. I care much more about the 2nd round result than about whom he is hanging out with. :o

bokehlicious
03-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Then I am proud not to be average Joe. I care much more about the 2nd round result than about whom he is hanging out with. :o

You're actually a tennis fan dear ;) but you'r not medias bread n butter :)

Raquel
03-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I think it'd be quite cool if they were actually good friends and not just a cynically put-together arrangement. Even if they are friends though, I'm getting a bit sick of hearing about every single time they're in the same place :p

Kitty de Sade
03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
It's a lot of coverage right now, but I'm not bothered by it. If it gets to be too much, I retain the power to turn the channel, throw out the newspaper, turn off the computer, etc. Harmless fun turned into a media love affair- no big deal.

Castafiore
03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
R. Federer,

Sure, you're going to find articles about his match as well but the main story is Woods attending the match.
Regardless of how the press works...Woods obviously being the bigger story here...doesn't it annoy you that you google Federer when he's in the middle of a tennis tournament and nothing major is going on in his private life (like a marriage) and yet, you end up reading more about Woods than anything else?
You can keep going on about how the press works but it still doesn't make it right from my point of view.
Sure you can ignore it but google sadly doesn't have a method of searching for Federer articles minus Woods so you still end up looking at pages of Woods articles just to find real tennis coverage.

Maybe the average joe doesn't give a crap about Federer's Round 2 result but I do (and I admit that golf doesn't interest me at all).

Just because the press writes about it, that doesn't have to mean that I have to like it even though my opinion doesn't matter at all in the scheme of things. There's such a thing as being critical about what the press writes.
Just because the media throws itself on a story, that doesn't make it all that newsworthy since quite a few other more important stories get buried under the hype of the first story. The other stories just lack a bit of glamour to get noticed by the press.

The tennis press are at Miami to report about tennis as far as I am concerned. A bit of side news is fine as long as it doesn't become the headline news. The Woods story is nice but it's been done now. Focus on the damn tennis again.

rofe
03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
^^I don't know what the big deal is. It is just another celebrity news item that the press is milking for what it is worth. It will die soon enough when the media gets bored with it just like the countless other celebrity news items and soon the Fed-Nadal rivalry news item will be back on top. :shrug:

alfonsojose
03-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Federer (on Tiger Woods): "He told me since a couple of months he's going to come out because I knew so far in advance when I was going to play. So that was a great thing. I think we should do that more in the future... I'm happy he comes out during a tournament. I don't know how golfers are, if they're more serious than us tennis players. But I went out to see his practice, too, and it's great that he comes to watch tennis. I think it's a great honor for our sport."

More "nice" words from the media trained JesusFed :zzz:

alfonsojose
03-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I dunno why people are concerned with others private lives, and who they're friends with. I couldn't care less about tennis players outside the court (and many of them on the court, either).

private? :haha: :haha: that's the point. It's just another IMG/Etienne :hearts:/Nike plot. And people eat this like :retard:

alfonsojose
03-25-2007, 04:49 PM
R. Federer,

Sure, you're going to find articles about his match as well but the main story is Woods attending the match.
Regardless of how the press works...Woods obviously being the bigger story here...doesn't it annoy you that you google Federer when he's in the middle of a tennis tournament and nothing major is going on in his private life (like a marriage) and yet, you end up reading more about Woods than anything else?
You can keep going on about how the press works but it still doesn't make it right from my point of view.
Sure you can ignore it but google sadly doesn't have a method of searching for Federer articles minus Woods so you still end up looking at pages of Woods articles just to find real tennis coverage.

Maybe the average joe doesn't give a crap about Federer's Round 2 result but I do (and I admit that golf doesn't interest me at all).

Just because the press writes about it, that doesn't have to mean that I have to like it even though my opinion doesn't matter at all in the scheme of things. There's such a thing as being critical about what the press writes.
Just because the media throws itself on a story, that doesn't make it all that newsworthy since quite a few other more important stories get buried under the hype of the first story. The other stories just lack a bit of glamour to get noticed by the press.

The tennis press are at Miami to report about tennis as far as I am concerned. A bit of side news is fine as long as it doesn't become the headline news. The Woods story is nice but it's been done now. Focus on the damn tennis again.
:yeah:

NYCtennisfan
03-25-2007, 05:14 PM
For someone who doesn't care about it, you sure are dwelling on the matter. :scratch: I spent more time reading the "I don't care about Tiger/Roger" complaints in MTF than I did reading any Tiger/Roger articles.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Or Levy
03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I tend to believe this friendship is real. They spent TIME together, can you imagine if they didn't like each other? Two grown men, millioners, each the best in his field, sitting somewhere making chit chat because Nike told them so?

I don't think so...maybe once, not once, not with Tiger driving out, waiting for Roger, during a rain break, for a R2 match! He would grow weary of the act soon, if they didn't like each other. Same way Roger would pass on the fun of standing outside the lines in Tiger's matches, while hoards of fans are asking for his Authograph.

And I have to say that if it is all an act, it's working. I've never watched golf in my life (It's very obsecure sport in Israel) and I don't understand the rules at all, though I knew who Tiger was... but I sat yesterday and read an interview with him, and should I stumble on a golf tournament on TV tomorrow, I'll probably stay and try to watch.

onewoman74
03-26-2007, 02:33 AM
If Lebron James can be buddies with billionaire Warren Buffet then why can't Tiger and Roger be friends? When your rich and a celebrity your circle of friends become smaller and smaller...you attract what you are-rich and famous.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070326/ap_en_ce/bkn_lebron_buffett_3

LeBron invites buddy Buffett to game By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 13 minutes ago

CLEVELAND - LeBron James invited a buddy who has even more money than he does to watch him play. Billions and billions more.

Philanthropist and businessman Warren Buffett, wearing a black T-shirt with "Witness" glittering on the front, sat courtside as a guest of James on Sunday night for the Cleveland Cavaliers' game against the Denver Nuggets.

Though an unlikely pair, Cleveland's All-Star forward and Buffett are friends and mutual admirers. They first met a few months ago over a lunch of cheeseburgers in Omaha, Neb.

"He wanted a few tips on basketball and I wanted a little advice on money," joked Buffett, estimated by Forbes Magazine to be worth $52 billion. "We switch. He tells me what socks to buy and I tell him what stocks to pick."

Before tip-off, Buffett said he was eager to see his first NBA game in many years.

"I like basketball. I used to play when I was young — not very well," said the 76-year-old Buffett, ranked by Forbes as the world's second-richest man behind Bill Gates. "Of course in Nebraska, they tend to identify with football."

Buffett said he has become a big fan of the 22-year-old James, who has built his own business portfolio. James signed a three-year, $60 million contract extension in July and already has endorsement deals worth an estimated $150 million.

"He's terrific," Buffett said. "I just want to be partners with him. He can probably buy the whole place."

FedFan_2007
03-26-2007, 04:16 AM
I guess rich guys like to hang out with each other. Just like poor guys hang out with poor guys and middle class guys hang out with middle class guys. That's always been the way of the world - so why blame Tiger and Roger?

onewoman74
03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I guess rich guys like to hang out with each other. Just like poor guys hang out with poor guys and middle class guys hang out with middle class guys. That's always been the way of the world - so why blame Tiger and Roger?

What's the big deal about them being friends. So what if they share the same agency or sponsor...this is how the rich and famous roll. People need to get over it and move on.

adee-gee
03-26-2007, 03:23 PM

I also heard that Michelle Wie and Feliciano Lopez are meeting to discuss how hard it is for females to succeed in the men's game ;)

alfonsojose
03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Tiger : "Cañas is my amigo" :haha: :haha:

ASP0315
03-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Tiger : "Cañas is my amigo" :haha: :haha:

:haha:

alfonsojose
12-13-2009, 03:57 PM
:tape: