Sam Querry feeling Cheery in Miami (Federer is not that good so..) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sam Querry feeling Cheery in Miami (Federer is not that good so..)

Fumus
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Well...maybe not so much since, might have Federer second round if he can get past Andreev.

This is Sam's time to shine and prove himself.

I feel dumb..hahaha...thanks Deb

Deboogle!.
03-21-2007, 03:23 PM
:secret: you mean Miami?

GO SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jlee
03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Good luck Sammy :yeah:

Who says Federer can't lose early in two tourneys in a row? :lol:

chisey
03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
oh, dude, Sam got his own forum! Good luck to him. Pity about the Federer thing, but hey, maybe lightning will strike twice and Sam will beat him. Then he can give Andy some tips on how to do it ;)

jeahhh!
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
GO SAM!!!:banana::banana:

Grinder
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Sam has a forum? :eek:

Go Sam! :woohoo:

ataptc
03-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Who says Federer can't lose early in two tourneys in a row? :lol:
:lol: We sure hope so!

Go SAM!!

otowngurl86apa
03-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Just adding to the Sam love!
His match is schedule for 2nd on Stadium court, if it ever stops raining.
GO SAM!!

Fumus
03-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Sam plays Andreev today.

Deboogle!.
03-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Sam won in 3!!!! Just do your best against Roger on Saturday, Sam :sobbing:

jeahhh!
03-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Sam!:banana:

Roger next:sobbing:

otowngurl86apa
03-23-2007, 02:10 AM
yay Sam! :bounce: I'm excited to see how he does against Roger.

DMNRS22
03-23-2007, 02:36 AM
You can do it Sam! Just don't hold anything back!

tennis lover
03-23-2007, 02:45 AM
:banana: ouch for the next round though. :awww:

Jlee
03-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Yay! Great win Sam :yeah:

Just do your best against Roger. You'll have plenty of time to beat him later when he's old and your #1 ;)

Fee
03-23-2007, 04:39 AM
:yippee:

chisey
03-23-2007, 01:50 PM
yay Sam! As for Federer... If he gets a set, I'm counting it as a win (just, you know, the kind where you don't advance or get points/money ~_~). A mental win. :-P

Deboogle!.
03-23-2007, 03:00 PM
This guy is awesome :lol: I didn't realize he was this funny!
=======================

SONY ERICSSON OPEN
March 22, 2007
Sam Querrey
KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What happened? You were supposed to be in the stadium and then they kicked you out.
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I guess just the rain. I was kind of bummed about that because I wanted to be on the stadium. It's happened before. The other four matches that they kept on the stadium, or five, were all, I guess, bigger names than myself, so I had no problem with it (laughing).

Q. You might possibly be on the stadium court in your next match.
SAM QUERREY: I would think so. I heard Saturday night.

Q. You've played four Top 10 players already this year and now you're about to play probably the No. 1 player in the world. Do these matches at your stage, do they advance the plot? Are you happy to play these guys, or would you rather wait until you're a little bit more ready?
SAM QUERREY: I like to play them. You've got to play them to succeed and win the tournaments. I think once I do beat a Top 10 guy it'll boost my confidence a little bit.
Right now I'm 0-6 or 0-7 against them. Federer is not that good, so (laughter). :haha: It would be cool to get my first Top 10 win off him.

Q. He's in a slump.
SAM QUERREY: (Laughing) Yeah, I know. He hasn't lost consecutive matches in like four years. :haha:

Q. What does it feel like to go up against him?
SAM QUERREY: I have nothing to lose. I can just go out there and hit every ball as hard as I can and hope they all go in as winners (laughter).:eek: :o

Q. Is there any other kind of preparation that you try to do, maybe in practice?
SAM QUERREY: If I see him in the locker room or in practice, I'll give him a little stare or something, intimidate him. :spit:

Q. You're taller than him.
SAM QUERREY: (Laughing) But no, really, I won't do anything different than what I usually do, not that I do a whole lot, if anything.

Q. Will there actually be less pressure on you because you'll sort of feel like, oh, I've got nothing to lose?
SAM QUERREY: Probably, yeah. I've got nothing to lose. I go out there, play freely and whatever happens, happens. Hopefully I can enjoy the moment and have fun.

Q. Do you think you would tighten up if you won the first set?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah (laughter). :haha: :hug:

Q. It would be a nice problem to have.
SAM QUERREY: Right, exactly.

Q. What about the additional pressure of having Tiger Woods sitting there?
SAM QUERREY: Is he coming?

Q. Yeah, he's going to be there Saturday.
SAM QUERREY: My player box is going to be full of celebrities, too.

Q. Who's going to be in yours?
SAM QUERREY: My dad, this guy José Hidalgo, his guest, my buddy from SC. That's about it. I don't know, I'll probably get an autograph from Tiger maybe in between sets or something (laughter). I'll bring a golf ball in there with me. :spit: :haha: :rolls:

Q. What's your weapon? Is it your serve?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, serve, and try to use my forehand. It was tough today because it was so windy, but serve and forehand are my two weapons.

Q. Average speed is about 130?
SAM QUERREY: Probably. When I do play on the court with a radar gun it's usually in the 130s.

Q. Do you pattern your game after anybody?
SAM QUERREY: Not really.

Q. (Indiscernible).
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I don't really serve and volley that much.

Q. As the match progressed were there things you were particularly focusing on that are trends and weaknesses?
SAM QUERREY: I was really trying to keep the ball in play and force him to miss. On my service game I was trying to stay aggressive and kind of try to get in control of the points. But on his serves I was trying to play defense and try to make him miss.

Fumus
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Yaaay!!

[WC]S Querrey (USA) d I Andreev (RUS) 57 62 64

Fumus
03-23-2007, 03:32 PM
This guy is awesome :lol: I didn't realize he was this funny!
=======================

SONY ERICSSON OPEN
March 22, 2007
Sam Querrey
KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What happened? You were supposed to be in the stadium and then they kicked you out.
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I guess just the rain. I was kind of bummed about that because I wanted to be on the stadium. It's happened before. The other four matches that they kept on the stadium, or five, were all, I guess, bigger names than myself, so I had no problem with it (laughing).

Q. You might possibly be on the stadium court in your next match.
SAM QUERREY: I would think so. I heard Saturday night.

Q. You've played four Top 10 players already this year and now you're about to play probably the No. 1 player in the world. Do these matches at your stage, do they advance the plot? Are you happy to play these guys, or would you rather wait until you're a little bit more ready?
SAM QUERREY: I like to play them. You've got to play them to succeed and win the tournaments. I think once I do beat a Top 10 guy it'll boost my confidence a little bit.
Right now I'm 0-6 or 0-7 against them. Federer is not that good, so (laughter). :haha: It would be cool to get my first Top 10 win off him.

Q. He's in a slump.
SAM QUERREY: (Laughing) Yeah, I know. He hasn't lost consecutive matches in like four years. :haha:

Q. What does it feel like to go up against him?
SAM QUERREY: I have nothing to lose. I can just go out there and hit every ball as hard as I can and hope they all go in as winners (laughter).:eek: :o

Q. Is there any other kind of preparation that you try to do, maybe in practice?
SAM QUERREY: If I see him in the locker room or in practice, I'll give him a little stare or something, intimidate him. :spit:

Q. You're taller than him.
SAM QUERREY: (Laughing) But no, really, I won't do anything different than what I usually do, not that I do a whole lot, if anything.

Q. Will there actually be less pressure on you because you'll sort of feel like, oh, I've got nothing to lose?
SAM QUERREY: Probably, yeah. I've got nothing to lose. I go out there, play freely and whatever happens, happens. Hopefully I can enjoy the moment and have fun.

Q. Do you think you would tighten up if you won the first set?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah (laughter). :haha: :hug:

Q. It would be a nice problem to have.
SAM QUERREY: Right, exactly.

Q. What about the additional pressure of having Tiger Woods sitting there?
SAM QUERREY: Is he coming?

Q. Yeah, he's going to be there Saturday.
SAM QUERREY: My player box is going to be full of celebrities, too.

Q. Who's going to be in yours?
SAM QUERREY: My dad, this guy José Hidalgo, his guest, my buddy from SC. That's about it. I don't know, I'll probably get an autograph from Tiger maybe in between sets or something (laughter). I'll bring a golf ball in there with me. :spit: :haha: :rolls:

Q. What's your weapon? Is it your serve?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, serve, and try to use my forehand. It was tough today because it was so windy, but serve and forehand are my two weapons.

Q. Average speed is about 130?
SAM QUERREY: Probably. When I do play on the court with a radar gun it's usually in the 130s.

Q. Do you pattern your game after anybody?
SAM QUERREY: Not really.

Q. (Indiscernible).
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I don't really serve and volley that much.

Q. As the match progressed were there things you were particularly focusing on that are trends and weaknesses?
SAM QUERREY: I was really trying to keep the ball in play and force him to miss. On my service game I was trying to stay aggressive and kind of try to get in control of the points. But on his serves I was trying to play defense and try to make him miss.

Sam is awesome!

chisey
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
:haha: man, Sam is actually really funny! Look at that! I think my favorite was 'my box will be full of celebrities too...like my dad' . I also kind of want to see Sam 'intimidate' Federer :D

ataptc
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Man he is one hilarious kid, very much like Andy :lol:

Play hard against Federer, and I hope it won't be too one-sided. Go SAM!! :banana:

aer83
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Sam is Baby-Roddick. Big serve and funny press conference.

Fumus
03-23-2007, 07:02 PM

That's what I have been calling him.

Jlee
03-23-2007, 09:15 PM

I love it :lol:

otowngurl86apa
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM

So true!

Tom Paulman
03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
He's a good laugh :) Thanx for posting this interview

Oh, and I hope he will kick Fed's ass in straights :yeah:

kristanmichelle
03-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Sam is funny!

Good win. I hope he plays well against Fed.

Fee
03-24-2007, 05:54 AM
:secret: told you so...

Sam :hearts:

Fumus
03-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Has anyone been following Sam's blog on TW?

Tom Paulman
03-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Has anyone been following Sam's blog on TW?

No but I'd be grateful for the link ;)

Deboogle!.
03-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah I didn't know he had one :confused:

tulsatea
03-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Flavia Penatta interview--

Funniest Players Encountered: "Schiavone, for sure. And Carlos (Moya) and Rafa (Nadal) [laughs]. (What is it about them? People don't know they are so funny.) Well, they are a good champion but very normal people."

Interesting.

linus
03-24-2007, 07:12 PM
agree... Federer is not that good... so Sam... you need to be kinda better ;)

C'mon :cool:

tangerine_dream
03-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Sam's blog here (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/blogpage.html?ccode=Samq001). :cool:

Congrats to Sam on his most excellent win over Andreev, no slouch is he. :rocker:

Now he gets to see The Fed up close and personal. Run, Sam, run! :bolt: Just avoid any bagels and breadsticks and you'll be okay. :lol:

merce
03-25-2007, 03:25 AM
good luck Sam

MisterQ
03-25-2007, 03:36 AM
Sam Querrey gives hope to Q's everywhere! :dance:

Allez Sam!

Deboogle!.
03-25-2007, 04:21 AM
Sam fought really hard out there and actually hung around with Roger from the baseline. He really needs to work on his net game and also his serve consistency. he doublefaulted 7 times and that's not going to cut it against the top guys.

But he really acquitted himself well and showed the kind of guy he is :hug:

Jlee
03-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Sam fought really hard out there and actually hung around with Roger from the baseline. He really needs to work on his net game and also his serve consistency. he doublefaulted 7 times and that's not going to cut it against the top guys.

But he really acquitted himself well and showed the kind of guy he is :hug:

Yeah, he's got a little way to go.

I'm proud of him for sticking it out for a while though, he didn't get killed. He'll improve quickly I think. :)

cath777
03-25-2007, 04:33 AM
He did well. Agree he has things to work on and hopefully he can improve on them quickly. He looked so disappointed, though, when he was shaking Federer's hand at the net :awww:

Deboogle!.
03-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Probably b/c of the way he ended it, with the 2 DFs in the last game including the one on MP. But that's something he's just gotta work hard on, making the other guy serve it out at all costs, etc. :)

Tnn74
03-25-2007, 08:12 AM
I thought Sam was awesome today...

He had some incredible plays against The Fed.

So way to go Sam!!!

ataptc
03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I didn't watch it, but at least it wasn't a cakewalk for Federer.. Keep working hard Sam! :)

Tom Paulman
03-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Too bad I couldn't watch the match, but at least the score isn't something like 6-1 6-2 :yeah:

tangerine_dream
03-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Great job by Sam, it wasn't the beatdown some thought it would be. :bigclap: For the new guy on the block I'm really impressed with the way he's been handling himself during matches. :cool:

Deboogle!.
03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
:cool:
Q. Can you assess Sam's game, Roger. He has some weapons, it seems?
ROGER FEDERER: Absolutely. I think he's a good player. I didn't know him much, you know. But I think he has a nice technique on the backhand. Can play aggressive on the forehand. Excellent first serve. He's got a lot of potential, and many things he has to work on.
But I think he moves pretty good for a tall guy. That's one thing. And I think if he works hard the next few years, he can be an excellent player in the future.

ataptc
03-26-2007, 04:09 AM
nice words from roger about sam :)

Jlee
03-26-2007, 10:22 PM
:cool:
Q. Can you assess Sam's game, Roger. He has some weapons, it seems?
ROGER FEDERER: Absolutely. I think he's a good player. I didn't know him much, you know. But I think he has a nice technique on the backhand. Can play aggressive on the forehand. Excellent first serve. He's got a lot of potential, and many things he has to work on.
But I think he moves pretty good for a tall guy. That's one thing. And I think if he works hard the next few years, he can be an excellent player in the future.

Roger :worship:

Fumus
03-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Sam's words looking downright prophetic.

Medina
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
yes i watched him when he was at the Australian Open Round 1. Were he beat Jose Acasuso.

He has a huge forhand and serve, it was amazing

I was so happy i got my hat signed :D and now hes one of my favourites

Deboogle!.
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Ryan, when you see this, please change the title ;)

The Houston draw is out and Sam unfortunately drew Tommy Haas :awww: Good luck anyway, Sam :)

Medina
04-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Get your revenge over tommy, after quaters in menphis :)

tennis lover
04-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Tommy in the first round? :awww: Good luck Sam! I'm guessing clay isn't his strong point...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though! ;)

ataptc
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
:sobbing:

All the best Sam!

Deboogle!.
04-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm sure it's not, Jo :lol: but hey, he's trying. He entered Estoril and stuff, so hey, A for effort :)

Fee
04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Just saw Sam flash on the TV during the Davis Cup coverage, looking all gangly and teenager-y again. He's neato.

tennis lover
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm sure it's not, Jo :lol: but hey, he's trying. He entered Estoril and stuff, so hey, A for effort :)
indeedy! A* even! ;)

Chaos Inc.
04-08-2007, 10:59 PM
What the hell are they doing to Querrey?

Is there a conspiracy?

Haas in the first round of Houston after Federer in the second round of Miami?

What is next?

Borg in his prime in the first round of Estoril?

tennis lover
04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm afraid to say that is life when you are not seeded. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't and the bad luck always seem to come at once. :awww: Gasquet had the same problem with bad draws at the beginning of last season. :( Sam just has to stick in there, do his best and try to get a win over these top players. :)

Deboogle!.
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Sam lost another really close match against a top 10 opponent, he was up a break in the third set against Haas and lost it 5-7 :(

tennis lover
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
:( so close again, but still so far! :awww: well at least it's encouraging that he's doing well against them and not losing 6-2 6-2, we just have to hope he will improve mentally soon and believe he can do it. :)

ataptc
04-12-2007, 06:39 AM
I thought it was a pretty good score against Haas, but since Deb said he was up a break in the 3rd, I was :( I hope he can sort his closing-out-matches problem soon!

Medina
04-12-2007, 12:35 PM
his young, he can still has time :P

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
yes, that's true, but still. The local newspaper said he lost the last 12 points of the match, that's really just not a good thing no matter how old he is or anything :awww:

Medina
04-14-2007, 01:35 AM
yes but you have to consider tommy is ranked 10 in the world (i know no excuses), but loosing the last 12 points, that much of been a shame :(

Deboogle!.
04-14-2007, 01:44 AM
i really don't think it matters what the opponent is ranked - right now Sam is having a hard time closing matches, that's the problem. The fact that it has happened a few times when he has been in a seriously good position to beat top guys makes it that much worse :awww:

Chaos Inc.
04-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Querrey needs to work on his physical stamina and mental focus. It is having

an adverse effect on his matches right now. As the saying goes, fatigue

makes a coward of us all.

It is still my belief in time he will be fine........