NRL Round 1 - What did you learn? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NRL Round 1 - What did you learn?

bad gambler
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
It is great to have the Rugby League season back after having to endure the dire super 14 competition over the past month.

I learnt that on Friday night that Greg Inglis is not a one trick pony. Having made the switch over the off season from the wing to 5/8th, he was dynamic and again showed moments of magic that you just canít teach. His team didnít even play to 70% of their ability but still managed to do enough to win, a sign of a team a very good team and one that will be tough to beat again this season. Tigers also showed that they will not be the easy beats many pundits predicted based on their pre season, they were certainly gallant in defeat. I also learnt that the defending champions are in big trouble over the next month and that Hunt is not a halfback, not only losing their opener against the Cowboys, they have lost their main focal point of attack in Lockyer for the next 6 weeks. With Parker and Carroll expected to spend time on the sidelines only compounds matters. They will presents some fade material between now and then.

I learnt on Saturday the Raiders are clear wooden spoon favourites. Although being competitive for the first half, they simply gave up in the second half. Sea Eagles on the back of the short kicking game of Orford showed they are a team with points this season, with the addition of Lyons to the backline. Speaking of points, that is something all OVERS backers will be licking their lips with when it come to the Warriors as they will be racking up the points as well this season, playing a very entertaining and high risk brand of football. They will be a tough team to beat at home. I also learnt that the Eels having lost 14 players who had played first grade football for them at some stage last season are going to struggle in the early part of this season, with uncertainty around the playing future of Hindmarsh and the fact that their new half combination will need time to gel. I also learnt that the Sharks just snapped a 10 game losing streak by keeping the Panthers scoreless, a feat that hasnít occurred since 1999 for the men from the base of the mountain. The Ricky Stuart influence was evident in much of the Sharks play on the night with strong defense and efficient attack, capitalising on the chances they had in difficult conditions.

On Sunday I learnt that a team playing with one man down for effectively an entire game has no chance of winning even when the greatest player of the last 10 years in the opposition was knocked out cold and couldnít take part for 77minutes of the game. The Knights cameback from a 18 point halftime deficit to win by a point. However there were again signs that the defensive woes of the Knights last season hasnít yet been rectified, something again totals backers should be weary of whenever the Knights are involved. I also learnt that the Titans showed a lot of enthusiasm for a team lacking personnel and relying heavily on Prince in attack. However a few injuries to them this season and they will be vying for the spoon, if they arenít already as their bench looks extremely thin. The Dragons finally registered a win in their first game of the season, canít remember the last time that happened. I also learnt that the replacement for Gasnier at 5/8th Richie Williams is one cocky little prick, but does appear to have game.

Finally I learnt MNF is back with a bang, and so are the Bunnies with Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court in charge, well for the moment anyway after playing a solid 80minutes of football against a team lacking any kind of creativity or direction in attack highlighted by the fact they could not even register one linebreak all night. Souths arenít going to win the premiership this season but they will certainly provide stiffer opposition than their teams of the last few years.

rod_steel
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Good shit boss

I agree with you on the Titans god knows why they were laying 4 points on Sunday. A lot of their first team were formerly bench players in other NRL teams last season so clearly a few injuries and they are screwed. I don't think the Dragons really showed me anything either so hoping the books don't catch on to that. I still think they are a fade until they get some of their troops back.

I didn't catch tonight's game but sounds like a torrid performance by the Roosters.

Mr Flamboyant
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Titans have injury concerns already ... Chris Walker will miss possibly eight weeks with a broken thumb .. he's having a minor op on it tomorrow .. Scott Prince was also hobbling around today but should be ok ..

its.like.that
03-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I learnt that UNDERS >> OVERS

:D

Gamblore
03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, i have the Cowboys in contention for the Championship this season and every other team bar the Souths didn't really wow me at all. The Bulldogs looked pretty ordinary, but still good in attack but not good with defence. The Knights looked good in the 2nd half but would have liked to have seen them play a full Bulldogs team, instead of the red card. That changed the game in the Knights favour alot. Andy Johns out can only spell bad luck for the Knights and they do rely on him.
The Titans won't win games till they seal the gaps and play connecting football. The defence is not good and there passing is suspect. I'll give them 3more games to win. Dragons looked average and thats all they needed to win against the Titans. Time will tell what the Dragons are about.
Didn't think the Sharks were good and i know the Panthers are horrible and could be a contender for the spoon. The Sharks will suck without Morley.
Manly looked good against the Raiders, but are they? Don't know yet, but the Raiders are horrible, just horrible.
Roosters lost there first against a good looking South team that have implemented all the pieces of the puzzle they need. They have chemestry and all the players are happy with one another. They are a solid team and Joe Williams should play well this season.
I don't think the Roosters will lose agains, come this weekend. There still a good top 4 team for me.

Thats what i have to say, but its only Round 1 and still need time to sus out the teams.

dave nz
03-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I learnt that this market is a joke. Titans small unders (under what the odds should be), Roosters MASSIVE overs, Bunnies unders.

Wooden Spoon

Competitor Win
[CST] [I] [AB] Book Closing: 23 Mar 2007 20:30

CANBERRA RAIDERS 2.25

GOLD COAST TITANS 3.50

PENRITH PANTHERS 11.00

SOUTH SYDNEY 12.00

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 13.00

WESTS TIGERS 16.00

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 17.00

CRONULLA SHARKS 21.00

BRISBANE BRONCOS 26.00

ST GEORGE-ILLAWARRA 31.00

PARRAMATTA EELS 34.00

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 41.00

NORTH QLD COWBOYS 61.00

MANLY SEA EAGLES 81.00

THE BULLDOGS 81.00

MELBOURNE STORM 126.00

bad gambler
03-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I learnt that UNDERS >> OVERS

:D

6/8 games went under this round, however it is only a matter of time that the books will adjust and start posting totals in the mid to high 30's IMO

Gamblore
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow, i just realized pinnacle doesn't offer o/u.

Mr Flamboyant
03-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Broncos $26 for the 'spoon' ... LMFAO! That should be the price for them to finish last in any season between now and 2030 ... Barring a Bulldogs-like salary cap penalty I think it'd be akin to flushing money down the toilet ... They may not win the premiership every other year but clubs like Brisbane don't finish last, ever ... there's far too much at stake ..

The Gucci one
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
6/8 games went under this round, however it is only a matter of time that the books will adjust and start posting totals in the mid to high 30's IMO

Let them do that it's not going to worry or stop me :)

bad gambler
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Let them do that it's not going to worry or stop me :)

4 of the 6 games that did go "under" landed between 34-39.

Expect them to make the adjustment accordingly to ensure 50/0 action on both sides of the total fence.

bad gambler
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, i just realized pinnacle doesn't offer o/u.

Pinny is not the book to use for NRL, better to stick with them for the American sports

sports freak
03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Its gonna be one hell of a Season,no doubt!!!

Gamblore
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Pinny is not the book to use for NRL, better to stick with them for the American sports

Betfair would be the best i suppose.