Kicker serve [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kicker serve

Ghosting
03-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi!

The kick serve (twist) is without a doubt the most difficult stroke in tennis. I can't get it. Everybody says: backhand grip, parallel feet to the baseline, toss to the left, arch your back, extended arm, pronation, brush from 8 to 2. Some experts says that this serve doesn't work until you pronate your arm. Probably I can't pronate or I don't know some extra tips to hit it. Without this serve I can't see my progress. Any tips? There must be some helping drill.

ExcaliburII
03-20-2007, 02:44 AM
I`ve just practiced it thoùsands of times until I could get it correctly done. No more secrets than the ones you were told.

jole
03-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Try learning a topspin serve first. It's like, 6 --> 12, pretty much straight up and out, etc.

There is some wrist snap involved, but you can't get hung up on that too much. It almost just has to happen unconsciously. It's tough tho because tennis is all about muscle memory and until it's automatic you kind of have to consciously remind yourself to do the things in correct form. You're taught how to do it a certain way and you do it over and over enough and it eventually sticks.

After you learn this serve, it's a lot easier to learn the kick. Instead of going straight up and out (with the emphasis on straight), you do that but also incorporate an element of simultaneously going to the side for slice/sidespin.

Mateya
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I am sometimes strugling with kick serve too :rolleyes: Just not getting enough kick on the ball...
Slicer, top spin, flat one are so much easier than kicker...Practise, but some natural talent always helps, of course.
And good knee-bend helps too :)

tennisplayer89
03-23-2007, 05:25 PM
The technique of a kick serve is not difficult. All you must do is toss the ball slightly left and swing up and to the right. You can even use continental grip, which is the preferred grip because it helps to disguise the serve and adds more miles per hour than other grips. The key to hitting a good serve is practice. Go to the tennis courts with a hopper of balls and hit hundreds of serves. You will see improvement.

Ghosting
03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
The technique of a kick serve is not difficult. All you must do is toss the ball slightly left and swing up and to the right. You can even use continental grip, which is the preferred grip because it helps to disguise the serve and adds more miles per hour than other grips. The key to hitting a good serve is practice. Go to the tennis courts with a hopper of balls and hit hundreds of serves. You will see improvement.

Thanks a lot. Maybe continental grip is best. With eastern backhand grip I find it pretty difficult to brush from 7-1.

RickDaStick
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi!

The kick serve (twist) is without a doubt the most difficult stroke in tennis. I can't get it. Everybody says: backhand grip, parallel feet to the baseline, toss to the left, arch your back, extended arm, pronation, brush from 8 to 2. Some experts says that this serve doesn't work until you pronate your arm. Probably I can't pronate or I don't know some extra tips to hit it. Without this serve I can't see my progress. Any tips? There must be some helping drill.

spin of the toss?

Ghosting
03-27-2007, 12:34 AM
spin of the toss?

you probably mean the toss from right to left for rightie players, I don't know if finger tips should add some extra spin to the left, maybe it helps

HKz
03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
First of all, you can use different grips. I use both the backhand and volley grip when I need a kick serve (backhand gives more control IMO) These are the steps I took throughout the years to learn it.

1. Practice just hitting the ball at the correct spot (preferably, striking the ball at ~1-3 o' clock works best. changing the contact posistion allows a twist addition or slice addition) against a fence (or stand at the net so you can see if the ball kicks when you hit it)
2. Practice the toss placement and the contact posistion at the same time (again, against fence or stand at net) (toss can be virtually anywhere. Some players, such as Federer, like to toss it behind their backs while other just directly toss it above their head, or even in front of them)

*you should keep practicing those two steps until you feel comfortable on hitting it like that, and then working at the baseline*

fenomeno2111
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
One good tip is too brush the ball hard! Try to hit it even harder than you would a first serve but of course not flat but brush the ball. That was my problem for a long time until a found a coach and he told me to brush the ball harder than I would swing a first serve. When you practice this with a few buckets you will see the difference!

One good drill to get the right kick on the ball is to stand outside of the court, and stand right next to the fence about a foot from it and stand there and try to get the ball to the other side in the most acute angle that you could hit. I don't know if I explained myself well but I hope it helps. This drill will help you brush the ball the right way

Match Point
04-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Weird i can never get the topspin serve right. But the kicker serve after practicing for about an hour a day for a week i finally got it down.

topspin is 6 to 12 hit with everything else like the normal serve right? how can it be so hard!

Lethal
05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Weird i can never get the topspin serve right. But the kicker serve after practicing for about an hour a day for a week i finally got it down.

topspin is 6 to 12 hit with everything else like the normal serve right? how can it be so hard!

I've recently been trying to do a kicker for a few days now, but I always end up with a top spin serve! I suppose I haven't given it enough time yet...

Can anyone describe the differences between the topspin and kicker serve strokes? Is the kick the same as topspin, only you pull the racquet face to the right as you hit into the ball?

Ghosting
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I've recently been trying to do a kicker for a few days now, but I always end up with a top spin serve! I suppose I haven't given it enough time yet...

Can anyone describe the differences between the topspin and kicker serve strokes? Is the kick the same as topspin, only you pull the racquet face to the right as you hit into the ball?

Hi, I have the same problem. I can get every now and then pretty good topspin serve but almost never get aggressive ball jump action to the right (I'm righty). Kick serve is either topspin serve or twist serve. We have now topspin serve. Twist serve consists of topspin serve and reverse side spin. To get twist serve experts say that you first have to brush up like for topspin serve but when you are catching the ball you must at the same time pronate your arm to the right which is for me the most difficult. It's like stopping on the ball and fling it to the right. I think it's only way how to get aggressive ball jump action to the right. If you brush from 7-1 or 8-2 I think it's impposible to get tremendous twist. The ball will bounce high and a bit to the right but you never get great spin. The ball won't first twist to the left in the air but will go straight so it's much easier for opponent. Brush up, catch the ball with extended arm and fling out is only right way. But I find it very difficult to get it in 4 milliseconds. I also try it with continental grip as with eastern backhand it's difficult to pronate properly.

Rafas_grl
06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I have the same issue with that kick serve! i just cant get it right!
Whats the difference between that and a serve with spin??

Burrow
06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
without a doubt toughest shot in tennis? speak for yourself, i find it easy.
Just brush up the ball quickly and hard but not touching alot of the ball.
Topspin serve is the same as a kick serve, whoever the hell told you otherwise is a dumbass. I know professional coaches and i hope to become one some day too, and they say that t is the same serve as when you hit topspin serve, the ball kicks up - this is where the name "kick" serve originated from.

Ghosting
06-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, I think that aggressive ball jump action to the right is what makes kick serve so effective. I really don't know how Federer can get so much kick on the ball. His kick serve is best for me as the ball bounces almost directly to the right from the ad side. There must be some secret tip how to get it.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 01:31 AM
ive seen federer use topspin but also sidespin which is a hard serve to master.