Early Commitments [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Early Commitments

smucav
03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070315/sp_nm/tennis_thailand_dc_1Nadal and Roddick to play in Thailand Open

BANGKOK (Reuters) - World numbers two and three Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick have confirmed they will play at this year's $550,000 Thailand Open, organizers said on Thursday.

Roddick, a former U.S. Open champion, will return to Bangkok after losing to Roger Federer in the 2004 final, while twice French Open winner Nadal will make his debut in the hard court event.

American James Blake has yet to confirm whether he will defend his title in Thailand and twice winner Federer has decided not to compete in the September 24-30 event.

Morgan Z
03-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Andy Murray.
Marcos Baghdatis.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/16Mar2007_sport25.php

Nedved Rosicky
06-19-2007, 05:41 PM
http://www.thailandopen.org/
anyone knows the first player from right side on the upper of the homepage??

viczbaia
06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I think that is Tommy Haas and also the other players I've heard that have committed to the tournament are Novak Djokovic and Benjamin Becker.

toproddick
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Nadal
Roddick
Djokovic
Gasquet
A Murray
Baghdatis
Hass
Srichaphan etc.,

krystlel
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Quality field.

jirobkk
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Djokovic and Nadal for Open

[TENNIS] Serbian sensation Novak Djokovic will make a return to Bangkok to join a stellar field in the Thailand Open which also includes world No 2 Rafael Nadal and big gun Andy Roddick.

Published on July 12, 2007

The new heartthrob on the ATP circuit first landed in Bangkok three years ago as an unfamiliar face but will come back as a celebrity in September after rising to a career-peak No 3 this week following his back-to-back semi-final appearances at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

The lean Belgrade resident was just a new kid on the block with a ranking of only 248 when he competed at the Impact Arena in 2004 and bowed out in round one to Dutchman Dennis van Scheppingen in three sets. He partnered Danai Udomchoke in the doubles and managed to reach the quarter-finals.

Obviously one of the hottest players of 2007, the 20-year-old has accumulated three trophies this season and is touted as one of the strongest contenders to snatch the Thailand Open title.

Three-times French Open champion Nadal will make his debut in the Kingdom's most prestigious event and will surely be the tournament's top attraction.

His heavy top spins and turbo speed on court are always a spectacle for fans to savour. Even world number one Roger Federer has been tested to the limit whenever he has met the Spanish King of Clay.

It's widely known that Roddick is the fastest server ever to walk on the planet. Even a blink can deprive spectators of a glimpse of a Roddick rocket travelling as fast as 155mph.

His only participation in the tournament was in 2004 when he haplessly went down to Federer in two one-sided sets due to an injury.

Also committed to taking part this year are German stars Tommy Haas and Benjamin Becker, known as the last man to beat living legend Andre Agassi in his swansong at the US Open last year.
The Thailand Open is being held from September 22- 30 at Muang Thong Thani. Fans can get tickets at Thaiticketmajor outlets from July 21 or call 02-262-3456 or via www.thailandopen.org (http://www.thailandopen.org/) or www.thaiticketmajor.com (http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/).

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam
The Nation

Via
07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
what a field! :eek: a Thai holiday in september now sounds good :aplot:

jiro, the tournament is indoors, right? so it's air-conditioned and nice and cool? :)

do you still get to see practices somewhere?

~EMiLiTA~
07-12-2007, 01:24 AM
what a field! :eek: a Thai holiday in september now sounds good :aplot:

jiro, the tournament is indoors, right? so it's air-conditioned and nice and cool? :)

do you still get to see practices somewhere?

hey Via, I've also been to this tournament twice before. Yes, it is indoors and VERY MUCH air conditioned (to the point of sometimes being quite cold, especially on court 1!). The bad thing is you can't see the practices, or at least you couldn't when I was there in 2003 and 2004..

I might be going again this year too..

viczbaia
07-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm going be working again at this tournament this year (been working here since 2005) and unfortunately the practices are still of limits to fans sadly. Also, I think that Nieminen will also be playing here again this year since he always enters here every year except for 2004 when he was injured.

Via
07-15-2007, 01:11 AM
hmm indoor courts and no practice viewing doesn't make this the most appealing tournament for me, but considering that a tennis holiday in bangkok would probably be the most affordable outside of australia, and thailand is always a great place to visit, i might still give it a (good) thought!

i'll sit on it until perhaps i'll get a look at the tickets next week ;)

thanks for the info :yeah:

Puschkin
07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Nadal
Roddick
Djokovic
Gasquet
A Murray
Baghdatis
Hass
Srichaphan etc.,

:eek: What is the source for Gasquet?

jirobkk
07-18-2007, 01:17 PM
hey Via, I've also been to this tournament twice before. Yes, it is indoors and VERY MUCH air conditioned (to the point of sometimes being quite cold, especially on court 1!). The bad thing is you can't see the practices, or at least you couldn't when I was there in 2003 and 2004..

I might be going again this year too..

I agree. One of the most interesting thing for the fans is to watch players practicing.

Via
07-20-2007, 10:30 PM
every time i look at getting tickets and seats at an overseas tournament, i cannot help but appreciate what luck we have in australia...

this is what i've found on the ticket website http://www.thaiticketmaster.com/sport/atp2007_eng.php

(main draw seating plan)
http://www.thaiticketmaster.com/sport/images/thailand_open_07/seating_to07_maindraw.gif

more than aud200 for some seats on the corners... and the rest of the cheaper seats on 2nd floor ... i guess there are a lot of VIPs taking up the rest :o

and no, gasquet is not on the players list on the official website. nor are murray and baghdatis, but maybe they are still ironing out some details ;)

viczbaia
07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
the seats in the corners are VIP seats which include a meal at the VIP lounge, VIP parking and so on and most of the time it's not really the VIPS taking up the rest of the seats but most of the seats are taken by the sponsors which hand them out and eventually end up in the hands of the tennis fans.with regards to gasquet,murray,and baghdatis,the company that organizes the tournament (BEC TERO) are currently in talks with the player's representatives but hopefully everything should be alright^^

Via
07-20-2007, 11:13 PM
the seats in the corners are VIP seats which include a meal at the VIP lounge, VIP parking and so on and most of the time it's not really the VIPS taking up the rest of the seats but most of the seats are taken by the sponsors which hand them out and eventually end up in the hands of the tennis fans.with regards to gasquet,murray,and baghdatis,the company that organizes the tournament (BEC TERO) are currently in talks with the player's representatives but hopefully everything should be alright^^

thanks for the explanation. so, you have to 'know people' ;)

viczbaia
07-21-2007, 09:49 AM
lol it's not only that but there are competitions around the country in which the tickets can be won. i personally though disagree with the ticketing system for the tournament^^.

Ome
07-23-2007, 11:21 AM

The stadium was never packed... especially the VIP seats, such a waste :rolleyes: I was sitting at the box below no.99 last year, and even that box didn't have a pleasant view :o

The funny thing was that they also served lots of snack, ice cream, and wine during the match (every break to be exact!) for VIP :lol: My friend got drunk even before the match started :spit:

so, you have to 'know people' ;)
You really need to know the people for a good seat or have a really good budget for the VIP tickets :o

lol it's not only that but there are competitions around the country in which the tickets can be won. i personally though disagree with the ticketing system for the tournament^^.
:lol: @ the ticketing system. I think the sponsors have only given away 500 or 800 bht tickets. They should have a competition for the VIP seats as well ;)

Via
07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
this is not going to make me popular with some of you... but it seems that a tennis tournament's ticketing system reflects quite well on the social system of the host nation ;)

things are not perfect in australia either... at least with bangkok they have the honesty (or arrogance?) to show everyone that the better things in life are out of bounds from the commoner...

in aust they make a lot of seats available to the general public... but they never have the guts to show where the 'reserved' seats are on the seating plan... or who they are reserved for... or else there might be a lot of discontent from us commoners!!!

an interesting side note: see here for the seating map at indy this week, if you want to see full capitalism and democracy at play ;)

http://www.tennisindy.com/seating.html

... there's no mistake that money buys you everything there, no matter who you are :lol:

Toppu
07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Via

one thing I'd like to recommend you. Buy cheapest ticket (500 Baht) and visit court no.1, you can be as close to the players as you are at Medibank. Last few years I noticed that they always put great matches on court no.1, simply because they have no idea who the players are. Not so many tennis fans there!! Safin was there couple of times, including A.& J. Murray, Henman, Soderling. Moreover, next to court no.1 there are 2 practice courts. You'll have a good view of players during practice when you sit on top of the stand.

Pls don't buy ticket and watch the game in center court since you have to be in a very long line for a while and get bad seating once you get in. Buying a more expensive ticket doesn't
help much either. You still see a very little ROddick.

VIP tickets can be found when you use services or buy products of the main sponsors, like Thai Airways. I believe if you buy Thai Airways ticket to BKK, you possibly get a VIP ticket to Thailand Open. Try to ask your travel agent.

One more thing to surprise you, most of the people here in Thailand (including some foreigners) do not buy ticket to watch tennis, we get it from all the sponsors or some people give us. Politicians, celebrities, people in the army and even some members here (not only Thais) always get VIP tickets. In Thailand you need to know "WHO". I always get upset when I see empty "reserved" VIP boxes but nobody is there and foreigners could get a "free" and "better" seat quite easily while people of the host country need to pay hugh money to see mini Safin. I don't get it. So no surprise there is no upcoming player from my country to replace Paradorn and people complain much about the ticketing.

Via
07-31-2007, 10:57 PM
:eek: thanks toppu, that's an amazing insight into the tournament. i think i understand a lot better now, and i share your frustration.

no i don't think i would want to see a little roddick :lol: even if he goes for cheap :lol:

hmm let's see.... if i got one of those newest first class seats (floating on a petal type) from thai airways, i would be treated like a VIP all the way from the air cabin to the tennis stadium, right? certainly not applicable to those flying on economy :o lol

anyway thanks to you and everyone here who have clarified things for me on this thread! unfortunately i have already given up the thought and i have booked my holidays in september to queensland :) but i'll keep it in mind and maybe another year.... i hope for all of you in thailand that the system will improve every year too, so that ordinary tennis fans in your country will get better opportunities with the tickets. after all, you are luckier than many others in asia, for having a world class tournament in the first place.

Super-Fabio
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
some players from the preliminary list:

Nadal, Ferrer, Lee, Becker, F.Lopez, Querrey, Mahut, Vliegen, Srichapan, T.Johansson, Delic

viczbaia
08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Some great names on the list...really looking forward to meeting and watching these players in action^^

Super-Fabio
08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
first 10 names of the list, at the moment:

-Nadal
-Djokovic
-Haas
-Ferrer
-Karlovic
-Lee
-Becker
-Russell
-Llodra
-F.Lopez

The last player in the main draw now is Srichapan.

Super-Fabio
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
seems that Gasquet will play in Mumbai...

~EMiLiTA~
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
:eek: thanks toppu, that's an amazing insight into the tournament. i think i understand a lot better now, and i share your frustration.

no i don't think i would want to see a little roddick :lol: even if he goes for cheap :lol:

hmm let's see.... if i got one of those newest first class seats (floating on a petal type) from thai airways, i would be treated like a VIP all the way from the air cabin to the tennis stadium, right? certainly not applicable to those flying on economy :o lol

anyway thanks to you and everyone here who have clarified things for me on this thread! unfortunately i have already given up the thought and i have booked my holidays in september to queensland :) but i'll keep it in mind and maybe another year.... i hope for all of you in thailand that the system will improve every year too, so that ordinary tennis fans in your country will get better opportunities with the tickets. after all, you are luckier than many others in asia, for having a world class tournament in the first place.

hmm list is not that great so far..

:topic: omg Via u have Andrew Hansen in your avatar!! he's such a legend!!!

Nedved Rosicky
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Does full entry list come out?? if yes, can anyone post it, thanks, if not yet, i'll wait. thank you guys. :)

pomnok
08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
first 10 names of the list, at the moment:

-Nadal
-Djokovic
-Haas
-Ferrer
-Karlovic
-Lee
-Becker
-Russell
-Llodra
-F.Lopez

The last player in the main draw now is Srichapan.

Srichaphan withdraw from this tournament for sure because he said that he won't play any tournament in this year to make sure his wrist injury become getting well certainly and he will start his first tournament in Australian open in next year (that time his real ranking may be slip down to 800 already)

Via
08-13-2007, 10:20 PM
hmm list is not that great so far..

:topic: omg Via u have Andrew Hansen in your avatar!! he's such a legend!!!

:p :p i'll post again to show you the avatar one more time ;) he's the cutest chaser isn't he ;)

anyway as long as nadal and djokovic are going, i think the tournament will be pretty happy! are you still planning to go?

llodra on the list is a good sign. if he's happy with bangkok maybe he'll convince a few more frenchies to join him next year :devil:

toproddick
08-14-2007, 04:39 AM
the field is getting weak.
world number 60 will be seeded here!! ahhh..

Ome
08-14-2007, 05:12 AM
llodra on the list is a good sign. if he's happy with bangkok maybe he'll convince a few more frenchies to join him next year :devil:

:lol: I shall take Mika to a fancy dinner and ask him to get more Frenchies to Bangkok next year :rolls:

silverwhite
08-14-2007, 05:13 AM
:lol: I shall take Mika to a fancy dinner and ask him to get more Frenchies to Bangkok next year :rolls:

Good idea!

Via
08-14-2007, 10:32 PM

:worship: my future happiness depends on you! and the chef!!!! lol you must do your best :lol:

jirobkk
08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Big server Karlovic confirmed to play

TOR CHITTINAND

Rising Croatian star Ivo Karlovic, Canada's Frank Dancevic and American Sam Querrey will play in next month's US$550,000 ATP Thailand Open, the organisers said yesterday. Hard hitting Karlovic, who is ranked 30th in the world, has served more aces than any other play on the ATP Tour this year with an average of 20 aces per match.
His serve has been clocked at 239kph. Standing at 2.08m, the giant Croatian is the tallest player ever to make it into the top 100 in the world rankings.
Karlovic has reached three finals this year and won titles in Houston and Nottingham.
Querrey and Dancevic have made big advances in the ATP rankings this year.
Querrey, 19, is tipped to become a future star after jumped from number 130 at the beginning of the year to 48 at the moment.
Dancevic is the top-ranked Canadian player. This year he has beaten Andy Roddick and is ranked 69th in the world.
The event will be held at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani from Sept 22-30. Tickets are available at all Thai Ticket Major outlets and from 02-262-3456.

Andres Guazzelli
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
To be fair with Ivo, his serve has been clocked at 246,2 kmh (Nottingham) :D

Blue Heart24
08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Ajmo Ivo :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

DhammaTiger
09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Tbe Bangkok newspaper The Nation, reports that Jose Acasuso, Carlos Berloq and Diego Hartfield are scheduled to play at the Thai Open to be held in three weeks time. It also reports that the tournament will be shown in Latin America by Fox Sports ( yuck!!)

How I wish I could be back to Bangkok by then, unfortunately I won't be :sad:

Here is the news item in full:

Sport

Argentines for Thailand Open

Published on September 5, 2007

[TENNIS] Three Argentines will have the support of millions back home when the Thailand Open is broadcast across Latin America.

Jose Acasuso, Diego Hartfield and Carlos Berlocq will join the star-studded event, which will be beamed live across Latin America by Fox network. The sole ATP Tour event in the Kingdom is run from September 22-30 at the Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani.

Some 33 million households in 20 countries in South and Central America will be able to witness their players strut their stuff against stars such as Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Roddick.

Acasuso, currently ranked No 70 in the world, has won three ATP Tour events and has upset wins over top 10 players including Andy Roddick, Ivan Ljubicic and Tommy Robredo.

Hartfield, ranked 75th, and Berlocq, ranked 76th, are both more at home playing on clay but each has enjoyed some good results on hard courts.

The Nation
Privacy Policy © 2006 Nation Multimedia Group Thailand Web Stat

September 5, 2007 02:53 am (Thai local time)
www.nationmultimedia.com

Jaap
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
All three are mugs and will get knocked out first round(Unless two of them they play eachother)

GlennMirnyi
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Is that an advertisement to keep people from going to the Thai Open?

Alonsofz
09-04-2007, 10:51 PM
^ :lol:

FiBeR
09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
:rolls: acasuso had some pretty runs in the past on hardcourt..

and berlocq beat young 60-60 on hard :eek: (to lose 60 60 to blake:o)

basically i see no point in the news :shrug:

maybe acasuso can get thru with an easy draw but the other two are just :ras:

:rolls: anyway.. its good to know in advance :D