backhand:single-handed or two-handed?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

backhand:single-handed or two-handed??

mashamaniac
03-15-2007, 05:57 AM
hi there,
i play tennis now for nearly 2/5 years but still unsure to play my backhand a single-handed or two-hands??
i admire all single-handers like haas,blake,robredo and gasquet plus maestro federer! but on the other hand i admire two-handers like nadal,roddick and aggasi!!:)
now and after 2/5 years playing tennis i all the time change my mind and want to play in another way...anyways,i talked to some coaches and they've told me "see what your mind says not your heart!":confused:
now i wanna ask you experienced guys to give me some tips and reasons to play which one??
btw:i'm equally comfortable on both options!:wavey:
thanks in advance...

HKz
03-15-2007, 08:06 AM
hi there,
i play tennis now for nearly 2/5 years but still unsure to play my backhand a single-handed or two-hands??
i admire all single-handers like haas,blake,robredo and gasquet plus maestro federer! but on the other hand i admire two-handers like nadal,roddick and aggasi!!:)
now and after 2/5 years playing tennis i all the time change my mind and want to play in another way...anyways,i talked to some coaches and they've told me "see what your mind says not your heart!":confused:
now i wanna ask you experienced guys to give me some tips and reasons to play which one??
btw:i'm equally comfortable on both options!:wavey:
thanks in advance...

2 and a half? Or for .40 of a year? Well either way, there are disadvantages and advantages of each.

One Hander-
-Better reach. Not good for on the run much though, but it can give you large angles.
-Harder to master. It takes a while to get good pace and learn how to hit those angles. Plus one handers tend to have a large swing, so to time heavily paced balls is hard.
-One handers can be hit deeper easier.

Two Hander-
-Easier to put pace and topspin. Although one handers can get the same speed and spin, two hander is just easier to produce.
-More control. Two hands is stronger than one.
-Excellent on the run. Watch Nadal.

Are you sure your equally good in both? That is a pretty hard feat. Whenever you committ to either one, the other becomes horrible pretty fast. I personally use a one hander because I use it as my "safe winner" shot. Good pace, good consistency and a large angle without risking much.

mashamaniac
03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
2 and a half? Or for .40 of a year? Well either way, there are disadvantages and advantages of each.

One Hander-
-Better reach. Not good for on the run much though, but it can give you large angles.
-Harder to master. It takes a while to get good pace and learn how to hit those angles. Plus one handers tend to have a large swing, so to time heavily paced balls is hard.
-One handers can be hit deeper easier.

Two Hander-
-Easier to put pace and topspin. Although one handers can get the same speed and spin, two hander is just easier to produce.
-More control. Two hands is stronger than one.
-Excellent on the run. Watch Nadal.

Are you sure your equally good in both? That is a pretty hard feat. Whenever you committ to either one, the other becomes horrible pretty fast. I personally use a one hander because I use it as my "safe winner" shot. Good pace, good consistency and a large angle without risking much.

no i didn't mean i'm like a pro in both! i meant those shots are equally good for my own self! if i hit it 60% one-hander my two-hander also is the same 60%!!!:confused:

PoderShileno
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
two hander bh :worship:

Kolya
03-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Since you haven't played that long, 2 handed backhand will be more beneficial for you especially during tournament play when the pressure is on.

HKz
03-16-2007, 05:45 AM
no i didn't mean i'm like a pro in both! i meant those shots are equally good for my own self! if i hit it 60% one-hander my two-hander also is the same 60%!!!:confused:

Er.. I didn't say pro... Let me restate it. If your one hand and two hand are equal, that must mean you have a pretty beginner backhand so far, so a two hander would be more advantageous.

And like Kolya said, the pressure is easier to deal with by using a two hander for beginners.

mashamaniac
03-16-2007, 06:23 AM
thanks everybody for helping me...

Burrow
03-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Well i started with a double handed and it was my best shot but then i went through a crisis where i couldnt get a ball in and changed to a single hander, now im swapping it around all the time. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with and take it from there, it took me a while to get used to the single hander.

mashamaniac
03-17-2007, 05:50 PM
thanks...i myself found two-handed very better than one-handed and the only reason is that as kolya and hkz said because then you can control the pressure of IMO espesially aggressive opponent!

ExcaliburII
03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Double handed, similar movement to DAvid Nalbandian`s backhand.

edi1985
05-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Double handed
When i started i played one handed,but now i play only two handed backhand :)

Burrow
05-17-2007, 08:33 PM
both, depends how im feeling.

GlennMirnyi
05-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Two-handers suck.

t0x
06-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Two handed (it's easier), but look to develop a single-handed slice too.

greenfan
07-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I cannot tell which one is better, each one has advantages and disadvantages, but I hit a one-handed backhand and it's going really well....

MightyServe
07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
i use a double handed, especially on the big points, then i know i wont make a mistake when it matters

groundstroke
08-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm one handed, I feel more comfortable and my shots are always more deeper. Just do which you want, and I suggest sticking to one, otherwise you'll have a shaky game.

tennisplayer89
08-09-2007, 11:53 PM
I use the two handed. I can hit the one hander too, but I prefer the two hander.

bearingbreaker92
08-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Just choose one and stick to it.

Kolya
08-19-2007, 06:28 AM
You have to choose one if you want to improve. Otherwise you will suffer inconsistency on your backhand side.

In general, 2 handed BH is easier to control.