6-7 6-2 6-0

Well done David !!

Keep going!!!

Deathless Mortal
03-12-2007, 08:25 PM
:mad: :fiery:

Fumus
03-12-2007, 08:27 PM
It's too bad Mathieu missed that backhand return on bp at 1-0 in the second. It looked like he had the match on his racquet.

allblue
Win or lose, Nalbo makes me laugh~~

Congrats Fat Dave!!!

sigmagirl91
I would call it a demolition, if it were not for that opening set hiccup.

gusman890
03-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Pmh :(

ChinoRios4Ever
03-12-2007, 08:29 PM
expected comeback (as always) by nalby

sigmagirl91
:mad: :fiery:

It's OK....breathe in, breathe out. There....better now?

allblue
Awww~~~ that's my FAT DAVE~~!!!!

Congrats!!!

Fergie
Paulo :bigcry:

Viken01
VAMOS DAVID !!!

well played after a shitty 1st set

Claroo
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Paulo :banghead:

Yappa
Why the hurry after that first set TB? :lol:

Joyce_23
I would call it a demolition, if it were not for that opening set hiccup.

I don't know...I always feel more comfortable when he loses the first. It just makes his chances to eventually win so much greater, you know? :lol: Our boy does not like to win in two. The last two sets looked solid though so I hope he keeps this up.

TennisLurker
03-12-2007, 08:31 PM
He should have won in straight sets

Julio1974
03-12-2007, 08:31 PM
DN was serving for set at 6-5 and got broken (not really a surprise).

I wonder whether DN demolished Paulo or Paulo demolished himself as usual.

Next, a real test for DN.

Fumus
03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
It's OK....breathe in, breathe out. There....better now?

Didn't you retire?

Apemant
It's too bad Mathieu missed that backhand return on bp at 1-0 in the second. It looked like he had the match on his racquet.

I wouldn't go so far as to saying that. David served for the first set and was more convincing the whole time. Didn't face a BP till that minichoke while serving for the 1st set, and then I guess was too distracted for the TB.

Then, as the match progressed, David was taking the strangehold. Felt kinda sorry for PHM, in the end David looked determined to win just every game. Poor PHM couldn't hit a 1st serve and David just destroyed him on 2nd, with whole crapload of return winners. A brutal performance by David here.

This David is good. Gotta say I love watching him. :yeah:

jazar
the first set was hardly a domination. mathieu was playing real good then. but i guess he ran out of steam a bit

Nalbandian!!!
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Please let it be ljubo.... i want David puting him out!!!

VAMOS DAVID! great comeback today dave ( as usual );)

tripb19
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
:haha: I predicted something in reverse, like 6-1 2-6 7-6. Nalby :yeah: Wasn't as funny as your last match though, work on it.

Fumus
03-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to saying that. David served for the first set and was more convincing the whole time. Didn't face a BP till that minichoke while serving for the 1st set, and then I guess was too distracted for the TB.

Then, as the match progressed, David was taking the strangehold. Felt kinda sorry for PHM, in the end David looked determined to win just every game. Poor PHM couldn't hit a 1st serve and David just destroyed him on 2nd, with whole crapload of return winners. A brutal performance by David here.

This David is good. Gotta say I love watching him. :yeah:

Nope nope, Daveed was completely flustered and out of it. If Mathieu gets the break there, Daveed never returns to a positive mindset, and thus loses. Thanks for playing though.

sigmagirl91
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Nope nope, Daveed was completely flustered and out of it. If Mathieu gets the break there, Daveed never returns to a positive mindset, and thus loses. Thanks for playing though.

The pleasure is all ours. ;)

tripb19
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Just like yesterday? :p

Apemant
03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
the first set was hardly a domination. mathieu was playing real good then. but i guess he ran out of steam a bit

Yep, his first serve dropped a bit, but still, I think it was more the David factor. Really stepped on it, especially on returning aggressiveness. When he returns like that it gets pretty demoralizing for the opponent.

sigmagirl91
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Just like yesterday? :p

Just like AO?

Julio1974
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM

Are you talking about the same Mathieu??

Nalbandian!!!
03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
The 2 - H Backhand Was Perfect . His Lethal Weapon Is Back.

Good Luck Next Game Dave !

sigmagirl91
03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Are you talking about the same Mathieu??

Are we talking about Mathieu?

Dilara
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow David, really picket it up after the first set.
Go fat Dave! :yeah:

Apemant
03-12-2007, 08:45 PM

You've gotta be kidding me here. :devil:

Nalbandian!!!
03-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow David, really picket it up after the first set.
Go fat Dave! :yeah:

WHO'S FAT?:D :D :eek: :eek:

tripb19
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
WHO'S FAT?:D :D :eek: :eek:

You are, you fat bastard :D

R.Federer
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Argies putting on a great show in IW.

Galathea
03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
He should have won in straight sets
Well, when Nalbo is in "ON" mode or at least partially "On", the latest sets are the real difference between them. (maybe a 6-2, 6-2 and not a bagel)

DN was serving for set at 6-5 and got broken (not really a surprise).

I wonder whether DN demolished Paulo or Paulo demolished himself as usual.

Next, a real test for DN.

Mathieu can be outplayed, without any necesity of him going down just because. This is one case.
One of Nalby's biggest problems at the first set was his return. It didn't work as usual. If his serve was working better than his return, obviusly he was in troubles. Still, I never doubted about David winning the match.
And also, David's serve really made Mathieu play forced (and I never thought I was going to say something like this about his erve :lol: )

Apemant
03-12-2007, 09:32 PM
And also, David's serve really made Mathieu play forced (and I never thought I was going to say something like this about his erve :lol: )

Why, David's 1st serve isn't bad at all. Of course, it's not all that great either, but does earn him a couple of cheap points here and there.

His 2H BH (doesn't matter if CC or down the line) return is, however, a thing to marvel at. :worship: (when it works)

Klaas_nalbandian
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
this could be a very nice week for nalby fans, go david

Galathea
03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Why, David's 1st serve isn't bad at all. Of course, it's not all that great either, but does earn him a couple of cheap points here and there.

His 2H BH (doesn't matter if CC or down the line) return is, however, a thing to marvel at. :worship: (when it works)

Not absolutelly not bad at all. He has great angle and colocation when the first serve is in . But is not his fort. On the other side, he has one of the better returns and it's weird watch him missing balls with it, like today in the first set. That's what I meant

Seneca
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Uh, Mathieu definitely had the match going his way after walking away with the first set and getting a strong start in the second. I've seen enough fight and grind from Dave to believe he'd have still turned the match around even if Mathieu had gotten the early break in the 2nd set.

The first set featured easy holds from Nalbandian and struggles from Mathieu until the 11th game in which Dave finally converted one of his breakpoints. Until that point, David had lost no more than 5 points on serve so it was a mild surprise (nothing too shocking on the Nalbo-scale, though) that he just gave the break back with a double fault and some easy errors in the next game. In the tie-break, Mathieu tried anything in his power to out-choke Big Dave but failed and had to take a one set lead after an impressive 5 minute display of miserable tennis from the master himself.

The next two sets I drifted between frying pancakes in the kitchen and catching a peek of the net stream every now and then. Mathieu wasn't playing that well even in the first set but after he started to lose control of the match in the second, there really was no coming back for him. He got tight at crucial moments, serving double faults to lose his serve in the first set, once in the tie-break and once in both of the latter sets. A score of 6-2 6-0 is exactly what it should be when a subpar Mathieu matches up against a Nalbandian returning to form.

Burrow
03-12-2007, 10:39 PM
crap.

Neely
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
great show, David! :hatoff:

Kitty de Sade
03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
This result makes me happy. Love that Nalby! :)

adee-gee
03-12-2007, 11:01 PM
WTF happened to Paulo? :confused:

I had to go out after the first set and he was playing great. Was it a mental meltdown?

franklibby
03-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Keep going Fat Dave, congrats on a great game!

Apemant
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
WTF happened to Paulo? :confused:

I had to go out after the first set and he was playing great. Was it a mental meltdown?

Nothing against PHM here, but how do you mean 'WTF happened'?

David had a break and served for the 1st set; he then just gifted the break back. PHM did win 1 point in that game with a really good inside-out forehand, but as for other 3, they were 1 DF by David and 2 totally silly UEs. Then he kept hitting UEs in the TB as well; and despite losing 7-3 in the breaker, he ended with more points won in that set (46 to 45)

So what happened is that Dave stepped it up; PHM just couldn't follow him anymore. That's about it.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
03-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Paulo :rolleyes:

Merton
03-13-2007, 03:29 AM
That is a horrible match up for Paulo, nothing to hold against him this time given that Nalbandian came here to play.

Tennis-Engineer
03-13-2007, 05:15 AM
I am happy that Nalby is finding his best form again. Go DAvid !

Clara Bow
03-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Nalby looked darn good in the last two sets. Hope he keeps this up. :)

LocoPorElTenis
03-13-2007, 05:46 AM
For most of the first set both players played very well, but Nalbo even better. He was holding very easily and challenging PHM's serve on every game, until he finally broke for 6-5. At that point he went into one of his mental trips to the twilight zone and started making loads of ues, cursing at himself even on PHM's winners, and gave the set away in typical Nalbo's fashion.

At that point, PHM only had to keep the ball in play to win games. But he essentially choked after missing the volley on bp on 1-0. Had he converted, it would have been uphill for Nalbo, but I think he would have regrouped and PHM would have choked later - that's how it works for PHM and especially for David. But the fact is he missed and after that he went on a mental trip to the Andromeda Galaxy, double faulting 3 times in his next service game and letting David get his confidence back.

Once David was back in the game, there were no equivalences and the match was over.

Now comes a real test. Vamos David! :bounce:

bluesky_rachel
03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
well done dave!Good luck next round. hope david will find some confidence this week.