Federer abusing injury timeouts [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer abusing injury timeouts

The Freak
03-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Maybe he has blisters, maybe not, but if he does, it should not matter. I bet every single ATP player gets blisters. Injury timeouts should be reserved for serious injuries. Fed isn't injured, Canas is just making him him play more balls than he is used to. Fed has spoke badly abuot Djokovic abusing injury timeouts, well now he is doing it. All Fed is doing is trying to get Canas out of his rhythm.

scoobs
03-12-2007, 01:58 AM
And....we're off!

shotgun
03-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Can you guys just wait until the match ends please? Thanks!

Johnny Groove
03-12-2007, 01:59 AM
he must have learned his gamesmanship techniques from his boyfriend w/ the famous ass. Next thing, you'll see Federer with a banana in his throat

basil333
03-12-2007, 02:30 AM
I dont usually get into the bashing of players here - but I am afraid while watching the match I agree with the original poster.

.. if he had won the set - would he have called the trainer for a restrap?

The commentators were brown-nosing him constantly through the match - but the biscuit was taken when he had a further 3 minute timeout for a toestrap - conveniently when he was a break down.

OK... it WAS nice of him to say "Welcome back!!" at the net, and to sign autographs when leaving, but I did feel that the "injuries" were staged. - Roger, its called losing...

Rafa = Fed Killa
03-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Federer is such a cry baby when he starts losing

Vamos Canas

~EMiLiTA~
03-12-2007, 02:48 AM
he must have learned his gamesmanship techniques from his boyfriend w/ the famous ass. Next thing, you'll see Federer with a banana in his throat

:haha:

but yes, it does not surprise me that Fed was doing this. People make out that he is so wonderful and such a good sport...but as we know it is very easy to be a good sport when you win all the time. His true colours come out when he loses (as with most other players too)...that's fine, but then he shouldn't point the finger at other players who do the same like Djokovic.

shotgun
03-12-2007, 02:49 AM
I didn't like the timing of the injury timeouts. The first one after Canas closed out the first set, the second one after Canas got the first break at the start of the second. Federer is usually a good sportsman, but today, injured or not, he did employ a bit of gamesmanship.

sanpo
03-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Federer is such a cry baby when he starts losing

Vamos Canas

WTF dude!?

I thought you left us for good?

Get outta here.

Sjengster
03-12-2007, 02:56 AM
I didn't like the timing of the injury timeouts. The first one after Canas closed out the first set, the second one after Canas got the first break at the start of the second. Federer is usually a good sportsman, but today, injured or not, he did employ a bit of gamesmanship.

Actually it was the second changeover at 3-2 (Canas got the break at 1-1). It didn't have any impact on him, and I doubt Federer thought it would have much of an impact, he knows Canas' mental strength and also knows about his results this year, it's not like he's only just starting to play tour matches again considering he already has a tournament win.

NicoFan
03-12-2007, 03:04 AM
I think y'all are being a bit tough on Fed. I don't think he would do anything like that.

basil333
03-12-2007, 03:15 AM
NicoFan... did you watch the match?

In case you didnt...

brief recap

2 players on court -

1 played his heart out, went for his shots, played like he hoped to win the match and continue in the tournament.

1 didnt - ok he hit some balls, and he fought for the 1st set - but not in his usual "perfect" style, he then lost the set - when Player 1 was on a high after taking the set off Player 2 - Player 2 called the trainer - to ensure that Player 1 could not build on his enthusiasm.

Problem - Player 1 did not lose his enthusiam.

Player 2 had some minor adjustments made to his protection strapping - this took about 3-5 minutes.

10 minutes (approx) later - Player 1 broke Player 2 - at the time of breaking - the Commentator announced that Player 2 had signalled for the trainer to return at the next change of ends.

Player 2 had another "injury" timeout - this time we got to see how a toe gets strapped (no blood). - again Player 1 did not lose his enthusiam.

When the game started again... Player 2 at this point looked like he had lost all interest in the match - and even Player 1 was starting to look over as if to say - Hey! whats going on????

Sorry Federer fans... but I would have been very dissappointed with Roger if I had paid to see him play today.

Congratulations Willy Canas! - good luck in the rest of the tournament.

Sjengster
03-12-2007, 03:21 AM
I would have been very disappointed too, but not for the reason you suggest. There's been enough stupid sledging of Canas as a cheater when he was guilty of no more than negligence, so don't try and bring an accusation against Federer into this match when the better player won convincingly on the day.

shotgun
03-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Actually it was the second changeover at 3-2 (Canas got the break at 1-1). It didn't have any impact on him, and I doubt Federer thought it would have much of an impact, he knows Canas' mental strength and also knows about his results this year, it's not like he's only just starting to play tour matches again considering he already has a tournament win.

Pretty sure it was at the first one, at 1-2*. Check the live scoring thread.

As for the rest, well many players have felt the pressure from being at a winning position against Federer, and it took much less than injury timeouts for that to happen.

Canas feeling the pressure, that would be perfectly possible. He had not played against such a high-profile player since his comeback, not even against a top 20 player if I'm not mistaken.

I agree about Canas' mental strenght even though he has already lost a match from two sets and 5-1 up in the third in Davis Cup, many years ago. :lol:

basil333
03-12-2007, 03:25 AM
Sjengster - I was hoping for Canas to win today - I cant deny that fact - but I really didn't expect this sort of match.

sondraj06
03-12-2007, 03:25 AM
Oh sweet justice. Finally people are seeing the hypocrisy that is fed. Good lord it took you all a while to get here.

No where are all the fedtards with there 7 steps of denial. Yeah post that again for yourselves this time.

Sjengster
03-12-2007, 03:32 AM

As for the rest, well many players have felt the pressure from being at a winning position against Federer, and it took much less than injury timeouts for that to happen.

Canas feeling the pressure, that would be perfectly possible. He had not played against such a high-profile player since his comeback, not even against a top 20 player if I'm not mistaken.

I agree about Canas' mental strenght even though he has already lost a match from two sets and 5-1 up in the third in Davis Cup, many years ago. :lol:

Well he did call for the trainer then, but he didn't arrive until the 3-2 changeover. I don't know, this kind of thread just smacks of someone gleefully sinking their hooks into Federer now that they've got a stick to beat him with (oh, I do love my mixed metaphors). He didn't seem to have a problem accepting that he was beaten at the end when he shook hands with Canas.

That DC defeat must have been a long time ago. Federer's, by contrast, was relatively recent. ;)

shotgun
03-12-2007, 03:32 AM

On a second look, you're correct. How foolish of me to doubt the guy who is known to have the memory of a sea lion! :D

GlennMirnyi
03-12-2007, 03:34 AM
WTF dude!?

I thought you left us for good?

Get outta here.

He's a coward without word, you know it.