Billie Jean King [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Billie Jean King

sondraj06
03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
On HBO today they showed a Billie Jean King documentary, I know this is MTF but bare with me. It was really incredible. I'm fairly young 21, and have only been watching tennis about 4 years. So I don't really know that much about tennis before that. But I would like to know if anyone saw it, if not it covered

- Billie and her role in forming a women's tennis circuit
-Helping form the wta women's union
-her sexuality, her affair with Marilyn Barnett
-her marriage to Larry king
-her abortion
-the extortion by Marilyn Barnet
-Billie vs. Bobby Riggs and that "circus that was"
-losing her endorsement deals after being outed by Marilyn and her "tried" extortion
-all of her accomplishments, more so for her accomplishments off the tennis courts than on

plus much more. people can comment more in depth on her accomplishments

It was a wonderful documentary, I really enjoyed it. But what got me wondering was when, during the docu they mentioned that Billie had been named the most recognizable women amongst teenage girls, with Golda Vier coming in second. And of course I thought, wow what the hell has happened in 20-30 years, now if you were to ask teenage girls who they recognize most out of the wonderful array of recognizable women, it would probably be Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears and probably in that order.

She at one time held the record for wimbeldon titles, I was wondering does she still hold that record. And it seems to me that although through much heartache and finger binding people seemed to respect women's tennis, for how they played the game. And now that's not so much the case, for obvious and good reason. But some women's greats were featured on the special as well, like Navratilova and Chris Evert.

I was wondering what people thought about their game as well as Billies and Graffs. Although I've heard people talk about Graff and her accomplishments as far as tennis and they are impressive, I wanted to know where and when exactly did that disconnect occur.

Or in other words how do the old women greats compare to the women who in 5- 10 years from now will be considered apart of that elite group. And how does women tennis today compare to yesterday.

And lastly was women's tennis back when Billie and Graff played (as far as how they played the game) more respected then womens tennis today.

Thanx

Rafa = Fed Killa
03-11-2007, 10:59 PM
www.wtaworld.com

:wavey: