Gasquet def. del Potro 76 62 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet def. del Potro 76 62

jayjay
03-11-2007, 03:27 AM
1st set was big, too many UE on forehand side from Kamikaze. Continued learning process for him, dick advances to the next round.

gusman890
03-11-2007, 03:29 AM
allez gasquet

Rafa = Fed Killa
03-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I can't believe that overrated clown beat Del Potro.

gulzhan
03-11-2007, 03:40 AM
I can't believe that overrated clown beat Del Potro.

:lol: and pretty easy :p del potro is good but he lacks mental toughness :haha:

he certainly is very good-looking... ;)

yeahright
03-11-2007, 03:46 AM
JMDP's game was too erratic. Tsk tsk!

I really liked watching that match...for mostly superficial reasons. :dance:

Hendu
03-11-2007, 04:06 AM

I would say he is pretty tough mentally for an 18 year old player.

Del Potro made too many mistakes with his forehand, and wasn't very solid with his backhand either, his best shot.

But we got to see some very nice points, and some impressive shots by Juan.

The match was very even in the first set, but the most experienced player was able to win it and after that the match was over.

Jlee
03-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Richard!!! :yeah:

trixtah
03-11-2007, 04:19 AM
was a pretty funny shot when he brain farted and tried that awkward drop shot on the best rally of the match

jeahhh!
03-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Richard!:banana:

yeahright
^^ saw that one. WTF?!?!

But I loved the half volley del Potro made to save a break point, I think it was late in the 1st set. Even he knew it was a great shot. :haha:

Hendu
was a pretty funny shot when he brain farted and tried that awkward drop shot on the best rally of the match

It was. :D

2moretogo
03-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Great job Richie! Potro was making too many errors on important points. Nice to see he got a little racket throwing practice in.

TennisLurker
03-11-2007, 04:33 AM

he certainly is very good-looking... ;)

You think he is good looking?

Del Potro looks like an ice age mammoth hunter to me

Anyway, he is only 18 years old, he has time to improve, I just hope he doesnt get taller

silverwhite
03-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Awful TB from JMDP :help:

marti_228
03-11-2007, 04:44 AM

Anyway, he is only 18 years old, he has time to improve, I just hope he doesnt get taller

You're mean!:)
Really, the key is the hair. He urgently needs a haircut, a good haircut.

Lleyton159
03-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Good Match!!

gulzhan
03-11-2007, 05:37 AM
I would say he is pretty tough mentally for an 18 year old player.

:o it was joke! you never get my jokes :sad: :lol:

he resembles guga to me :drool: and yes, no need to get taller :scared:, masha sharapova had that problem in 2004 :eek:

Merton
03-11-2007, 05:48 AM
That tiebreak was the decisive moment of the match. Del Potro went 2-0 up, then lost the rest of the points. In the second set Richard improved to normal instead of terrible as he was for most of the 1st set set but I think that overall Richard was too passive and the decisive factor was del Potro missing at critical moments.

Merton
03-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Good Match!!

There were good moments and points but overall it was not that good. Those two can play much better than that. It is ok for del Potro as he is still learning and familiarizing himself but there are signs of concern for Richard: There appears to be a pattern that once you push him back from the baseline and pin him down to the backhand side he tends to lose more ground and the odds of winning the point are not good. He needs to play more agressively but his serve does not help at the moment.

tripb19
03-11-2007, 06:58 AM
:( Jmdp

Hendu
03-11-2007, 06:59 AM
:o it was joke! you never get my jokes :sad: :lol:

it seems your sarcasm is too subtle for me.

Clara Bow
03-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I only was able to catch the fist set via Tivo but I have to say that there was some entertaining stuff there.

Richard showed some good defense - and had some great passing shots. I was also impressed with the fact that JMDP still came to net after being passed by Gasquest a couple of times and was then able to win some points. Great volley by him in the game that brought them to 5-5. He can actually get down low very well for someone of his height.

Not perfect play by both- but you could see the talent in both. :) Of course Richard's is already well known, but always nice to see more of JMDP. Still- Juan Martin does still show that he is quite green- and those UEs in the tiebreak were not good. And it is funny to think of Richard as this wizened old veteran when he is still so young himself.

alsace
03-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Really, the key is the hair. He urgently needs a haircut, a good haircut.

:haha: To each her own! To me, he's got the best hair on the tour. He should grow it as long as he can stand to shampoo it! He's gorgeous, by the way. :worship:

But I'm disappointed by the loss. It's hard to tell how much his recent modest results are due to adolescent fitness problems and how much to a slow learning curve. He's so good-looking, I can't help but want him to put on a SHOW.

*Ljubica*
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
:haha: To each her own! To me, he's got the best hair on the tour. He should grow it as long as he can stand to shampoo it! He's gorgeous, by the way. :worship:

But I'm disappointed by the loss. It's hard to tell how much his recent modest results are due to adolescent fitness problems and how much to a slow learning curve. He's so good-looking, I can't help but want him to put on a SHOW.

Modest results :confused: The guy is only just 18 - he was the youngest player in the Top 100, he reached the semis in Adelaide this year, took the AO finalist to his only 5-set match in Melbourne, and qualified directly for IW, and Miami, as well as his great results in Umag, Stuttgart, and Basel last year. He also got through qualifying for his first ever Masters Series in Madrid just a few months ago. Not to mention winning a tough 5-setter in his first ever DC match to take Argentina through to the quarter finals last month! If you think they are modest results considering his age and lack of experience, then I'm sure there are plenty of young players out there who would love to have some of them :) I didn't expect him to beat Gasquet, - it was a good learning experience for him. Now on to Miami :)

OddJob
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Allez Richie well done!

Pixie
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
There appears to be a pattern that once you push him back from the baseline and pin him down to the backhand side he tends to lose more ground and the odds of winning the point are not good. He needs to play more agressively but his serve does not help at the moment.

Exactly. Apart from the trivial overrated/overhyped/dick or whatever discussion, his backhand is a bit overrated. I mean he's able to do great shots on it but he has problems to cut trajectories when someone hit on it with length. Then he does some step behind while and after hitting and begin to give short shots and be passive. So far, he doesn't exploit his bh the way he could.

jole
03-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Not bad overall, but the hitch on Del Potro's forehand is ugly. His service motion reminds me of Acasuso's with less power, but more normal looking (without the huge crouching/bending motion.

Hip-And-Happenin
03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Richard :banana: :rocker: :bounce:

AnnaK_4ever
03-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I expected more from Juan Martin :sad:

RickDaStick
03-11-2007, 03:59 PM
First time seeing JMDP play and i must say i was expecting more.

musefanatic
03-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Well done Richie :) :)

case
03-11-2007, 05:17 PM
:rolleyes: what really bothers me is the lack of coverage.

no mention in the news on the site. no pictures in the photo gallery . its like there was no match:confused:

i guess all that matters is nadal, roddick and murray practicing

when he plays roddick they'll mention gaquet as the young frenchman:( :(

and gasquet will probably lose to roddick:mad:

trulliscorpion
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
It's highly probable this has been debated a lot by now, but since this forum is the worst I've ever been to (in exception to techzonept.com) and because I rarely come here I'm ignorant on this matter, I'll ask:

Did Nadal win AO and I've just been tricked this whole time?

Yappa
03-11-2007, 05:36 PM

I noticed the difference in height when they shook hands at the end of the match. :eek:

GlennMirnyi
03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Del Pony is pure hype.

NicoFan
03-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Richard was just too steady out there for JM.

But JM is learning.

Nev
03-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Modest results :confused: The guy is only just 18 - he was the youngest player in the Top 100, he reached the semis in Adelaide this year, took the AO finalist to his only 5-set match in Melbourne, and qualified directly for IW, and Miami, as well as his great results in Umag, Stuttgart, and Basel last year. He also got through qualifying for his first ever Masters Series in Madrid just a few months ago. Not to mention winning a tough 5-setter in his first ever DC match to take Argentina through to the quarter finals last month! If you think they are modest results considering his age and lack of experience, then I'm sure there are plenty of young players out there who would love to have some of them :) I didn't expect him to beat Gasquet, - it was a good learning experience for him. Now on to Miami :)I agree Rosie.

I wasn't expecting a win from Juan Martin. He needs a better draw, that's all... a preclassified not top 20, for example.

+alonso
03-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Althought I don't like Gasquet I must admit his game is beautiful! :o :lol: Mark my words 'cause I won't repeat them again! :lol:

gulzhan
03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Althought I don't like Gasquet I must admit his game is beautiful! :o :lol: Mark my words 'cause I won't repeat them again! :lol:

marked! :p

so nice to meet a real tennis fan ;) who can appreciate the beauty of tennis with no prejudice :lol:

PlayOnClay
03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Monsieur Gasquet :kiss:

gulzhan
03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Del Pony is pure hype.

:haha:

only fed is not hyped :rocker2: or is he? :scared: :lol:

Conita
03-12-2007, 01:36 AM
lala Richie :kiss: :hearts: :kiss:

oh yeah