IW 2nd rnd: Nadal def. Clement 6-3, 7-6(3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW 2nd rnd: Nadal def. Clement 6-3, 7-6(3)

*Viva Chile*
03-11-2007, 12:48 AM
10 ACES but 6 DF by Nadal :help:

That change of serve is really a 2-file weapon
Anyway a win is a win ;)

stebs
03-11-2007, 12:48 AM
As the commentator said, Nadal struggled but Clement struggled more. This was the worst display I recall seeing by Nadal. Certainly a worse performance than he gave in any of his recent defeats. Still, did enough to win which is what matters for him.

NYCtennisfan
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Clement had some chances but didn't convert. He dominated play on his 1st serve, but couldn't do anything against Nadal on Nadal's first ball.

Johnny Groove
03-11-2007, 12:51 AM
a win is a win, but i guess he must play better

Byrd
03-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Not impressed, Nadal won ugly, though his game is ugly so meh.

gusman890
03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
i hope someone kicks his ass.

I used to like him in 05, but once he stopped federer from winning the GS, i lost all faith.

Via
03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
As the commentator said, Nadal struggled but Clement struggled more. This was the worst display I recall seeing by Nadal. Certainly a worse performance than he gave in any of his recent defeats. Still, did enough to win which is what matters for him.

arnaud has been struggling lately against much lesser opponents. so i can understand what you're saying about rafa, though i haven't seen the match.

Kalliopeia
03-11-2007, 01:03 AM

I used to like him in 05, but once he stopped federer from winning the GS, i lost all faith.

You liked him until he...won? oookay.

Anyway, not a pleasant match for him. He hit a few nice shots but overall struggled way too much for my comfort. Still, a win is a win. I'm sure he'll take it.

sondraj06
03-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Well maybe he just needs to get use to this, he is trying to change. That's takes time and a lot of mathces and some losses, he'll figure out this new style. He needs time

sondraj06
03-11-2007, 01:04 AM
You liked him until he...won? oookay.

Anyway, not a pleasant match for him. He hit a few nice shots but overall struggled way too much for my comfort. Still, a win is a win. I'm sure he'll take it.

Yeah some things you just have to ignore. But do you know if any one put the match up for download. Thanx

sodman12
03-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Finish was kinda shaky for Nadal. If he doesn't shore things up hes going out before the quarters.

my0118
03-11-2007, 01:06 AM

Yeah I heard that too. I thought it's funny.
the match looked who's going to lose with more uncharacteristic errors, not who's going to win.
BTW Good Win for Nadal. I hope he keeps going by his better form.

Metis
03-11-2007, 01:09 AM
It wasn't a good display from Nadal, but it was much worse from Clement. :lol: There were some very nice rallies though. Arnaud got very impatient with a ballgirl after going down breakpoints in the 1st set :rolleyes:. Even Layhani told him: "Arnaud, be nice to them!". He sounded like a parent scolding his 5 year old. :D

guga2120
03-11-2007, 01:27 AM
today, in Dubai and even Australia, Nadal makes so many errors now, which he did not do last year at this time, its puzzling if keeps playing like this he will not be 2 for much longer.

Shrinking Violet
03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Pretty poor from Rafa, but a win is a win. He can only get better.

tangerine_dream
03-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Nadal got lucky that he was playing somebody who was playing worse than him. No Misha, no Blake, I hope Nadal can lift his game and confidence and take advantage of his draw.

Clement was a jerk for giving the ball kids stick. http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif Some people here complain about players going off on the chair umpire, but at least they're taking their frustrations out on an adult and not some kid who just wants to work next to his tennis heroes.

But good that Clement apologized afterwards and stopped to sign autographs after the match.

justClaudia
03-11-2007, 01:39 AM
:) rafa.

shotgun
03-11-2007, 01:52 AM
It's not the first time Clement is rude to ball kids.

moon language
03-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Man, what has happened with Nadal? Is it the pressure to live up to the hype? He used to be much more free swinging, now it seems like he's second guessing a lot of his shots and never getting in a rhythm. He certainly doesn't look the same as he did at this time last year, it's like pulling teeth even when he wins.

kindablue
03-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Not impressed, Nadal won ugly, though his game is ugly so meh.

You can only win ugly against Clement lately ;)

connectolove
03-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Man, what has happened with Nadal? Is it the pressure to live up to the hype? He used to be much more free swinging, now it seems like he's second guessing a lot of his shots and never getting in a rhythm. He certainly doesn't look the same as he did at this time last year, it's like pulling teeth even when he wins.

He is at a crossroads, hopefully to become who he wants to be.

kobulingam
03-11-2007, 03:59 AM
today, in Dubai and even Australia, Nadal makes so many errors now, which he did not do last year at this time, its puzzling if keeps playing like this he will not be 2 for much longer.

Because he's _trying_ to be more aggresive.

Rafa = Fed Killa
03-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Vamos RAFA!

ChinoRios4Ever
03-11-2007, 04:36 AM
nice bandana rafa :yeah:

2moretogo
03-11-2007, 05:30 AM
That serve was all over the place today, but at least he was able to pull it out.

Xristos
03-11-2007, 05:51 AM

That makes no sense what so ever...

Xristos
03-11-2007, 05:54 AM
nice bandana rafa :yeah:

I agree....thats his new look.

Xristos
03-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Clement was a jerk for giving the ball kids stick. http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif Some people here complain about players going off on the chair umpire, but at least they're taking their frustrations out on an adult and not some kid who just wants to work next to his tennis heroes.

But good that Clement apologized afterwards and stopped to sign autographs after the match.

Did he actually say sorry to the ball kid he abused?

Lleyton159
03-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Better luck next time Clement!!

Clara Bow
03-11-2007, 06:26 AM
It's funny- because I only saw the first two games of the match- and I actually thought Rafa was playing decently at that point. (Though that could have been the fumes from new carpet) Sounds like it went downhill from there. :lol:

I do agree from other matches that I have seen that he is second guessing himself a lot more lately. He used to be so in the zone, and that is gone. As a fan of his, I hope he gets it back.

yana
03-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I didn't see the match, but the Eurosport comments are pretty good.

Nadal in sparkling form

World number two Rafael Nadal, with his forehand in sparkling order, fired down 10 aces en route to a 6-3 7-6 win against Frenchman Arnaud Clement in the Pacific Life Open second round.

The muscular Spanish left-hander, hunting his first title since last year's French Open, saved five of six break points before sealing victory in an hour and 45 minutes.

Nadal set up a possible semi-final clash with third-seeded American Andy Roddick, who survived a tough start against Spaniard Feliciano Lopez before winning 7-6 6-4.

Second seed Nadal broke his opponent twice in the opening set at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden but was frustrated not to wrap up victory sooner after leading 5-3 in the second.

"I made some mistakes in that second set, three double-faults in one game and two in another one," the 20-year-old told reporters.

"But I was playing well with my forehand and that's important. My forehand now is better than in 2005. But I win the match. I'm happy."

Nadal celebrated a golden year in 2005, piling up 11 ATP titles including his first grand slam crown at the French Open and four Masters Series shields.

"I am a more complete tennis player right now than in 2005," he added. "I just need to gain a little bit more confidence with my backhand at the moment."

t0x
03-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Some good moments for Nadal, but generally he'll be disappointed. Last year you'd be lucky to get 1/2 UEs out of him per set... what the hell has happened? That second set really was a poor display. Clement never really found his form, and he wasted so many opportunities, he'll be disappointed too. So yeah, I was disappointed with the match - it was just error after error for the most part, and wasn't worth watching.

Adler
03-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Rather a worse performance by Nadal. If only Clement could play better, we'd have a 3-setter (oh my God...)

anyway, a win is a win, and taking into account that Youzhny is out, it's now quite an esay taks for Nadal to go deeper in the event

jenanun
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
well, as somebody already pointed out earlier, nadal is playing more agressive these days, thats why more UE... he also put more on his first serve than when he was 2005, 10 aces was quite something for nadal...

I watched the whole match, it wasnt that bad as most people suggested... nadal played a solid decent first set (he had quite a few forehand winners, in the last 6 months, most of the time his forehand had let him down) but increasing the no. of UE in second set, plus he definately need to improve return of serve...

Kalliopeia
03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
well, as somebody already pointed out earlier, nadal is playing more agressive these days, thats why more UE... he also put more on his first serve than when he was 2005, 10 aces was quite something for nadal...

I watched the whole match, it wasnt that bad as most people suggested... nadal played a solid decent first set (he had quite a few forehand winners, in the last 6 months, most of the time his forehand had let him down) but increasing the no. of UE in second set, plus he definately need to improve return of serve...

It wasn't that he was bad, I think, just shaky, maybe still having confidence issues. He seemed to be missing shots that he doesn't normally miss when he's playing well. He did hit quite a few really nice shots. And his serve surprised me. I'm not used to Rafa getting himself out of trouble with his serve but he did that more than once in this match and hey, I'm all for that. :)

RickDaStick
03-11-2007, 04:50 PM
What the hell was that thing on Nadals head?

case
03-11-2007, 04:53 PM

:haha: I guess a Ljubo fan would notice something on a players head!!:p

RickDaStick
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
:haha: I guess a Ljubo fan would notice something on a players head!!:p

Sorry but that thing was so ridiculous looking even Stevie Wonder wouldnt of missed it.

Andre'sNo1Fan
03-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah, makes him look hotter than ever :hearts:

Jade Fox
03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think Rafa played all that badly. His serve's obviously improved. It was actually bailing him out of jams in fact. What he needs to do is to not resort to the defensive mode all the time when things are getting tough.

And yeah, that bandana is great.:hearts:

yana
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
His serve's obviously improved.

he is reverting to his old service motion and he hit 10 :music: aces. looks like this was a good decision.

DrJules
03-11-2007, 08:46 PM
There were a lot of improvements in the game of Nadal.

His serve was slightly faster and served more to the corners of the service box which was reflected in his ace count. However, there were more double faults and wild serves.

Nadal hit through the ball better and played nearer the net. However, there were some dreadful unforced errors.

Overall, Nadal had some very good and very poor spells in the match.