Hernych def Henman 7:5 3:6 7:5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hernych def Henman 7:5 3:6 7:5

Andre♥
03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I've seen the whole match and I just think one thing: Henman needs to retire!

He was so horrible today that if he continues to play like that, he'll end up being double bagelled by a good player...

His serve was horrible. Coria style.

Jaap
03-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Henman played like a mug. Hernych is one of the poorest players in the top 100. Terrible!

LLeytonRules
03-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Henman was up 5-4 in the 3rd set and he couldnt finish it.Goodbye Timmy!!!!!

Deathless Mortal
03-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Henman :haha: :smash: :retard:
They both played awful, but Henman did his best to lose :haha:

Fergie
03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
What a WTA match :lol:

Tim :help:

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Pretty dreadful result given that he couldn't close out the match from twice being a break up. He hasn't come back to win from a set down in over 18 months...incredible :eek:

Hopefully he picks himself up after this, although it will probably take a few days at least for him to stomach this loss :help:

gebl
03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Not Fowlperson's finest hour :toothy:

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 07:43 PM
The usual crap, lead, choke, third set defeat.

good news for him, he gets to play golf for 2 weeks in the desert without his job getting in the way.

kalle
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Tim.. please dont play "tennis" anymore... fucking choker!! Tiger Tim---> Mouse Tim or something.....

Bilbo
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Tim :retard:

time to play some Golf now :o

musefanatic
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Ah timmy this kinda sucks :sad: :sad: Oh :sad: :sad: :sad: Words fail me :sad:

blank_frackis
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I thought the match was ok as a neutral, it wasn't great but nobody was expecting it to be. Henman is certainly about ready to retire though, there's no question of that. I sympathise with him somewhat as he's carried himself well throughout his career, but it happens to every player eventually. I guess given the support he's had at wimbledon he'll want to play there one more time of course.

kalle
03-10-2007, 07:47 PM
4*-3 4-4* 5*-4 15-0............................................5-7!

danton
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
That was a shame. If he is enjoying it why shouldn't he continue. I think some of the poster above are being a bit harsh. He may not be the player he was but he is still better than many younger players - should they give up as well?

The court is really slow. I felt like I was watching it in slow motion. I'm watchig the Moya match at the moment and it's the same.

stebs
03-10-2007, 07:49 PM
If Henman doesn't retire after Wimbledon this year he will be outstaying his welcome on the ATP tour.

kalle
03-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Wimbledon 1round 2007: (Q) beat (WC) Henman 6-0 6-0 6-0... please retire now....

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Its amazing that he comes back to the Davis Cup this year..
at this rate, if i was John Lloyd id never pick him in a million years :o

kalle
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Slow or fast.... so what.. tim is still shit player...

ChinoRios4Ever
03-10-2007, 07:52 PM
timmy :help:

Jaap
03-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Its amazing that he comes back to the Davis Cup this year..
at this rate, if i was John Lloyd id never pick him in a million years :o

Its either him or Bogdanovic.:help:

safin-rules-no.1
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Its either him or Bogdanovic.:help:

:retard:

kalle
03-10-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.durangotennis.com/images/SeniorReidRoss.jpg <--- tim on court!

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Its either him or BogdanovicMate i'd have these 3 on standby..

1.Bilbo's grandmother in a wheelchair
2.Bogdanovic
3.Henman

in that order.

Ariadne
03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't feel anger or even disdain...only pity...Tim will always be remembered as a very talented albeit mentally fragile player who choked away vital career enhancing chances at every turn, quite often snatching defeat from the maw of victory. :sad:

kalle
03-10-2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.durangotennis.com/images/SeniorReidRoss.jpg <--- tim on court! drive volley....

Adler
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Jesus! Hernych almost gave it to him on a plate! He made 4 UEs to let Tim break for 5*:4 and then Henman just screw! O tempora o mores!

aramis
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Quite an impressive choke by Henman, I must say.
Even if he doesn't have the same motivation he used to, I don't want him to retire. Watching his serve and volley game is so refreshing compared to the baseline robots, which includes Hernych.

danton
03-10-2007, 08:38 PM
There is more bitchiness on this topic than there is in a phone call between Paris hilton and Nicole Richie.

Tim's not perfect but the comments are nasty.

Allez
03-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Poor Henman. He should have retired years ago

Burrow
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
If Henman doesn't retire after Wimbledon this year he will be outstaying his welcome on the ATP tour.

Stebs...
Perfect definition of the two words: ignorant and retarded.
Its one match, Hernych played pretty solid and his passing shots were top draw. Tim played below average, he has only played a couple of matches this year, let it rest.

danton
03-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Stebs...
Its one match, Hernych played pretty solid and his passing shots were top draw. Tim played below average, he has only played a couple of matches this year, let it rest.

:worship:

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Some of the comments here are disgusting.

Yes, it was a match Tim should have won, but credit should be given to Hernych as his gameplan isn't easy to overcome at the best of times...quite an intelligent player from what I have seen of him over the last couple of years.

As Safinator said, this is 1 match. Lopez was a tricky player last week, and Hernych was obviously more tricky than expected this week. It's obviously going to take a little bit longer for him to find his feet. Hopefully he wins a couple of doubles matches so he can shake off more of the rust.

Agassi Aces
03-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Tim didn't play his best, but it is only his third ATP match of the season. He needs match practice. Onto Miami where he needs a good result.

wally1
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Quite an impressive choke by Henman, I must say.
Even if he doesn't have the same motivation he used to, I don't want him to retire. Watching his serve and volley game is so refreshing compared to the baseline robots, which includes Hernych.Indeed. The sameness of style in the men's and especially women's games these days is depressing. In fact I thought Henman should have used S&V a lot more in this match, as his groundstrokes were so off.

Papakori
03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
A really great result for Jan. I thought in the 3rd set it was over but he fought through.
Great result Jan :yeah:

However, I do feel bad for Tim.

stebs
03-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Stebs...

:lol: Ignorant and retarded about what exactly? No, Hernych didn't play solid, he played a pretty appalingly bad match in compairson to what should be expected of an AMS match. For Henman to lose this match is not good, he has said before that he wants to feel as if he can challenge for a top 20 position and at least feel as though he is at that level. If not the game is up for him. If Henman can only compete on and off then that's okay but if when he IS playing if he is putting in displays like this then there is no point for him, of course sometimes it's nice to just play but that is not enough for Henman as he has said before. Learn your stuff before you come attacking me. I have followed Henman for many years and I like the guy, he is not a fool, he doesn't want to suffer the indignity of losing to guys like this in matches he should be winning. If it was a one off then fine but this is the norm for Henman now, he needs to make sure he knows what he wants but assuming he feels the same way he did last year Wimbledon '07 should be the last stop for him. ;)

stebs
03-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Some of the comments here are disgusting.

Yes, it was a match Tim should have won, but credit should be given to Hernych as his gameplan isn't easy to overcome at the best of times...quite an intelligent player from what I have seen of him over the last couple of years.

As Safinator said, this is 1 match. Lopez was a tricky player last week, and Hernych was obviously more tricky than expected this week. It's obviously going to take a little bit longer for him to find his feet. Hopefully he wins a couple of doubles matches so he can shake off more of the rust.

I know you are a big Henman fan Jez but I am a smaller one as well and I can honestly say Hernych was NOT tougher than espected. He played a really mediocre match and still won against Henman.

safin-rules-no.1
03-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Slow or fast.... so what.. tim is still shit player...

go fuck yourself:wavey:

i expected a better post from you - but you are clearly a twat:o

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:02 PM
go fuck yourself:wavey:

i expected a better post from you - but you are clearly a twat:o

Read the second post I posted in the thread and answer that. It goes into detail about what I mean. Henman is a nice guy but he has said himself it is top 20 standard tennis or he doesn't want to be doing it at all. Funny how rather than tell me they disagree the people who wish to put across their opinion feel the need to insult me and only reply to a short post. Perhaps it is too hard to actually make a legitimate reply to a post these days? At any rate, calling me a twat is uncalled for.

safin-rules-no.1
03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Read the second post I posted in the thread and answer that. It goes into detail about what I mean. Henman is a nice guy but he has said himself it is top 20 standard tennis or he doesn't want to be doing it at all. Funny how rather than tell me they disagree the people who wish to put across their opinion feel the need to insult me and only reply to a short post. Perhaps it is too hard to actually make a legitimate reply to a post these days? At any rate, calling me a twat is uncalled for.

you insulted my fav player - twat:D

:wavey:

Duncan
03-10-2007, 10:06 PM
In defence of Tim this was only his 3rd match of the year after some time out through injury. Give him a few months before shouting for him to retire i think

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Wasnt so much the performance.... but again he blows a match when he served for it, and was infact up a break in the third - twice :o
so typical.

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:08 PM
you insulted my fav player - twat:D

:wavey:

If he's your fave player then you shouldn't enjoy seeing him perform like this. I am not insulting Tim, I have probably been a fan of him for a fair while longer than you and seen him in more matches and being a fan or not is not the point. The fact of it is if Tim isn't playing as well as he can he doesn't want to play on the ATP tour. He won't be getting better draws then Hernych in R1 at any tournament of note.

safin-rules-no.1
03-10-2007, 10:09 PM
If he's your fave player then you shouldn't enjoy seeing him perform like this. I am not insulting Tim, I have probably been a fan of him for a fair while longer than you and seen him in more matches and being a fan or not is not the point. The fact of it is if Tim isn't playing as well as he can he doesn't want to play on the ATP tour. He won't be getting better draws then Hernych in R1 at any tournament of note.

ok- sorry for calling you a twat - im a bit tipsy, been on white wine. im just upset Tim lost:sad:

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Wasnt so much the performance.... but again he blows a match when he served for it, and was infact up a break in the third - twice :o
so typical.

Thing about it is, it was horrible to watch but still believable when he was choking on centre court in a GS semi in front of his home crowd. It is ridiculous though to be choking in an AMS R1 in front of a half-full, disinterested US crowd when you are aged 30+ and have been to six GS semi-finals.

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 10:17 PM
.. and this is Indian Wells courts

Timbo usually loves this place like its Wimbledon or Basel

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I know you are a big Henman fan Jez but I am a smaller one as well and I can honestly say Hernych was NOT tougher than espected. He played a really mediocre match and still won against Henman.

Save the post-mortem until after Wimbledon this year. The guy has played 3 matches so far in 6 months, and if it weren't be injury and illness, he'd probably be in the top 30 as he was riding a wave of momentum. Last year he managed to finish with an 8/1 record vs top 20 players, and it took him until September to find that necessary form. He has a few months left this year where he has little to defend...he won't be dropping PROPERLY out of the top 50 until May, so still some time to win matches and cushion any potential fall.

Horatio Caine
so typical.

In that case, we know he is back to his best :lol: ;)

safin-rules-no.1
.. and this is Indian Wells courts

Timbo usually loves this place like its Wimbledon or Basel

no he doesnt. Wimbledon is his no.1

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Thing about it is, it was horrible to watch but still believable when he was choking on centre court in a GS semi in front of his home crowd. It is ridiculous though to be choking in an AMS R1 in front of a half-full, disinterested US crowd when you are aged 30+ and have been to six GS semi-finals.

When did he choke in that GS SF exactly?

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
no he doesnt. Wimbledon is his no.1

Wimby won't be top 3 these days because of what they have done to the grass...he'd like Nottingham (and I expect to see him there this year) and his best tourney is probably a Tokyo or a Basel. Tokyo courts seem to suit him, and the field isn't that strong if you avoid Federer's half :tape:

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
When did he choke in that GS SF exactly?

He was in a pretty good position against Goran. For sure the British weather cost him dear but he was still favourite to take that match but couldn't carry momentum through. At any rate, you see what I'm getting at (I hope).

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
He was in a pretty good position against Goran. For sure the British weather cost him dear but he was still favourite to take that match but couldn't carry momentum through. At any rate, you see what I'm getting at (I hope).

I'm going to be picky here...yes, I was devastated when he lost, but he was NEVER in a solid winning position. Closest he got was 5/5 in the 4th set tiebreak if I remember correctly. He didn't choke at all, although I share your view that the weather probably cost him the match.

On paper, Hernych was tougher than he looked as an opponent today. I didn't see the match, and I trust your judgment as to the standard of play. But Henman isn't match fit at all, so it will take time to get his level back. He also doesn't usually do that well on US hardcourts (despite reaching IW final a few times, he lost early many other times).

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Save the post-mortem until after Wimbledon this year. The guy has played 3 matches so far in 6 months, and if it weren't be injury and illness, he'd probably be in the top 30 as he was riding a wave of momentum. Last year he managed to finish with an 8/1 record vs top 20 players, and it took him until September to find that necessary form. He has a few months left this year where he has little to defend...he won't be dropping PROPERLY out of the top 50 until May, so still some time to win matches and cushion any potential fall.

Like many older players, Tim's body is clearly feeling the strain. I don't really think he will ever sustain a period of good health as far as tennis goes again. I wish him the best but it is not coincidence that he is consistently injured at this time of his career. He can still put together a good match or two I think (and hope) but I don't think he can consistently perform at a level he will be happy with.

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm going to be picky here...yes, I was devastated when he lost, but he was NEVER in a solid winning position. Closest he got was 5/5 in the 4th set tiebreak if I remember correctly. He didn't choke at all, although I share your view that the weather probably cost him the match.

On paper, Hernych was tougher than he looked as an opponent today. I didn't see the match, and I trust your judgment as to the standard of play. But Henman isn't match fit at all, so it will take time to get his level back. He also doesn't usually do that well on US hardcourts (despite reaching IW final a few times, he lost early many other times).

Was he never a break up in the fourth? My memory could easily be letting me down here.

danton
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
:devil: ok- sorry for calling you a twat - im a bit tipsy, been on white wine. im just upset Tim lost:sad:

Don't apologise - Stebs in ealier threads was saying some rather nasty things - if you're going to dish it you better be prepared eat it - plus your post was class - made me laugh out loud.

2moretogo
03-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow! I went for a nap and Tim was serving for the match, after having held comfortably for last half of set, and Tim lost.

Dunno, if this is his swan song, but this is Hernych.

stebs
03-10-2007, 10:57 PM
:devil:

Don't apologise - Stebs in ealier threads was saying some rather nasty things - if you're going to dish it you better be prepared eat it - plus your post was class - made me laugh out loud.

Okay, lets see it then. Where did I make this posts? I am not the sort to be scathing or rude to people so I can only imagine you took something the wrong way if you think I was nasty.

Oh, and secondly, if someone merely calling someone else a twat made you laugh out loud you seriously need to get out more.

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Was he never a break up in the fourth? My memory could easily be letting me down here.

Nope. I think he might have had a couple of chances, but Goran's serve was firing beautifully again at that point :sad:

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Oh, and secondly, if someone merely calling someone else a twat made you laugh out loud you seriously need to get out more.

:haha:

There's some extremely imaginative insults out there... :tape:

danton
03-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Nope. I think he might have had a couple of chances, but Goran's serve was firing beautifully again at that point :sad:

I hope one day us Brits will be able to get over that loss. I remember at the Blackrock finals even Goran was saying he didn't understand why he was liked so much given that match - we understand it was nothing personal but.....what if......

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 11:06 PM
If i remember correctly... When Tim was up 5-7 7-6 6-0 and the 1-1* game in the fourth (just before the rain came) Ivanisevic ended up hitting a flukey 2nd serve ace when it looked out then hit a mishit shot right on the line from a Henman lob, to hold from 30-30 or Deuce, something like that...
then it rained, so the luck kicked in right from that game, god with his croatian scarf on :lol:

the real choke, if you wanna call it that, was Vs Coria at RG... he had a one set lead and blew 4-2 in the second and 5-3 in the fourth.
basically about 3 holds away from RG title (coz he owned Gaudio on clay) :D

stebs
03-10-2007, 11:13 PM
If i remember correctly... When Tim was up 5-7 7-6 6-0 and the 1-1* game in the fourth (just before the rain came) Ivanisevic ended up hitting a flukey 2nd serve ace when it looked out then hit a mishit shot right on the line from a Henman lob, to hold from 30-30 or Deuce, something like that...
then it rained, so the luck kicked in right from that game, god with his croatian scarf on :lol:

the real choke, if you wanna call it that, was Vs Coria at RG... he had a one set lead and blew 4-2 in the second and 5-3 in the fourth.
basically about 3 holds away from RG title (coz he owned Gaudio on clay) :D

Being broken by Coria on clay (in 2004) does not equal choking.

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
He was controlling the little weasel

Jaap
03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
I remember that match against Coria, Tim had him all over the place, think he was 6-4, 4-2 up, then he lost about 10 games in a row.:retard:

That match and the one against Goran were the biggest dissapointments in his career. The defeats to Sampras and Federer you could accept but these were matches he was in the position to win and he blew it.

Still, he has a very good career. Virtually carried British tennis over the last decade before Murray arrived(I don't count Rusedski as British)

Corey Feldman
03-10-2007, 11:45 PM
13 games in a row Vs coria ;)
from 6-3 4-2 to 4-6 0-6 0-3 down... then 5-3 up, the lost 5-7

:lol:

Sjengster
03-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Yes Mikey, 'twas a disappointing collapse, but to be honest Coria was playing pretty poorly up to that stage - largely because he was rattled by Henman's attacking play, but from 3-6, 2-4 down he started being much more aggressive, hitting better depth and controlling the rallies when he'd been giving up too many short balls before. I don't regard that as a huge wasted opportunity just because it was clay and it was Coria at the peak of his powers - Henman failed to serve out one set against him, but in the previous round Moya failed to serve out two sets and ended up losing in straight sets. I don't think it was a coincidence.

A Henman-Gaudio RG final is one of the fascinating "What ifs?" of tennis, it would have been a win-win situation for me since I like them both, although I suppose patriotism would ultimately have swayed my support. I mean we know Henman owned Gaudio including two straight-sets wins on clay, we saw how terribly Gaudio handled the occasion of a first Slam final for two sets against Coria, but then how exactly would Henman have handled the occasion himself, in the last place where he would have expected to be playing his first Slam final? It could have ended up as the nerviest championship match ever, which is saying something when you think what the Gaudio-Coria match developed into in the end.

Sjengster
03-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh, back to today: it was poor stuff from Henman, but perhaps that was only to be expected in his third match of the year, and while I thought Hernych was one of the easiest draws you could possibly get, in retrospect he's an awkward opponent because of his somewhat unorthodox style. In many ways he is the Tiny Cat to Mecir's Big Cat and Kucera's Little Cat, he strokes the ball around the court taking it early and hitting smoothly to the corners, I rather like watching him play. But there's still no hiding the fact that he played an absolute horror game at 4-4 in the third, having just broken back, to virtually hand the match to Henman on a plate, and ended up being let back in when he shouldn't have been.

It's funny, about 18 months ago after Henman's early Wimbledon exit I remember John Lloyd saying that Tim wasn't the kind of guy to keep hanging around the Tour ranked in the 40s or 50s, that he would retire by the end of the year if he dropped out of the position he'd become accustomed to. Instead he has stayed out there competing, but it seems to me that he wants it all to come too easy - supposedly maintaining his ranking by playing only 15 tournaments this year, which seems doubtful. Apparently he's tired of flying out to events like these, but he's not tired of playing the matches. Well Tim, the former is generally a condition of the latter in tennis, no matter what level you compete at.

BlakeorHenman
03-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Tim's in the same position he was in after Wimbeldon last year. He needs match practice and one streak of 4-5 wins. He'll have a Tokyo 2006 moment in a couple of months, then go away again with an injury, then have another one or two Tokyo 2006 moments (maybe even a MM tourney) then retire at the end of 2008. He will hover in the rankings from 20's -40's the rest of his career.

Blue Heart24
03-11-2007, 09:25 AM
:haha: :haha:

jazar
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
tim needs to get into the net more that is his strength. his forehand was terrible and his slice looked less penetrating than it used to be

Bobby
03-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Like many older players, Tim's body is clearly feeling the strain. I don't really think he will ever sustain a period of good health as far as tennis goes again. I wish him the best but it is not coincidence that he is consistently injured at this time of his career. He can still put together a good match or two I think (and hope) but I don't think he can consistently perform at a level he will be happy with.

Very well said.

eck
03-11-2007, 11:57 AM
He was doing so well in the third set until he got robbed by a line call :help:

Then it all went down from there. :o

The least he could do was challenge the volley that was called out on MP but he was clearly upset at the umpire. :(

Tim :hug:

valexie03
03-11-2007, 12:49 PM
A really great result for Jan. I thought in the 3rd set it was over but he fought through.
Great result Jan :yeah:

However, I do feel bad for Tim.

DITTO :angel:

Corey Feldman
03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
A Henman-Gaudio RG final is one of the fascinating "What ifs?" of tennis, it would have been a win-win situation for me since I like them both, although I suppose patriotism would ultimately have swayed my support. I mean we know Henman owned Gaudio including two straight-sets wins on clay, we saw how terribly Gaudio handled the occasion of a first Slam final for two sets against Coria, but then how exactly would Henman have handled the occasion himself, in the last place where he would have expected to be playing his first Slam final? It could have ended up as the nerviest championship match ever, which is saying something when you think what the Gaudio-Coria match developed into in the end.Imagine he had won..
Tim Henman.... 2004 Roland Garros Champion

just imagine hearing it
:rolls: